Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Selle Anatomica Saddle

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Selle Anatomica Saddle

Old 12-27-13, 08:40 PM
Aerohip

Bikes: Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Selle Anatomica Saddle

Hi guys, anyone have this Saddle? I've been leaning towards a Brooks B17 but a LBS employee was telling me this was a better Saddle. Thoughts?
Old 12-27-13, 08:42 PM
doublegg66

Bikes: 2015 gravity bullseye monster fatbike,2013 salsa vaya. 90's diamondback MTB,84 univega.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take this with a grain of salt,only had my Selle on for about 200 miles,and I do love it-but I've not tried a Brooks.
Old 12-27-13, 08:59 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
It has a lot longer rails which will make it easier to set up properly on your bike. Beats me as to comfort but there is a lot of love out there for the selle anatomicas with the cut out center channel. I just picked up one without the center channel and we'll see how long it takes to break in.
Old 12-27-13, 09:07 PM
jhawk

Bikes: Triumph Mountain Bike, Villiger Cabgona Touring Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS has also recommend me this saddle. I'm "uhm'ing" and "aah'ing" over whether to get the Selle Anatomica, or the Brooks B17.

Good to see you again, Aero!
Old 12-27-13, 10:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
2 Brooks pros 1_20 and the other 30_years old.

the original SA water-shed tanning treatment stretches, so now they offer a second type leather .

Aka ' WaterShed' and 'TruLeather' and the NSX version leaves out the hole down the center..
the hole also seems to allow a stretch past the bolt length. too ..

friend has one of the cut out 'titanicos'

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-27-13 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-27-13, 10:35 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
The great saddle debate - for years (30) thought a B-17 was the best for me and various bikes. Got an Imperial, liked it a lot. Then a champion flyer. The next N+1 came along, was just curious about the selle Anatomica saddle, got one - broke in very quickly and quite comfortable. Probably 15000 km on it, has needed to be tightened a few times, more than any of the Brooks. Another N+1, more of a road bike, started with a Champion Flyer, quite comfortable, but I saw a GB saddle - got the Aravis model. Wow ! Comfortable for me. My partner was very happy to get flyer. Saddle comfort is so subjective as to fit and bike geometry, go for the SA, mine is on my commuter. If I needed to replace the saddle on this bike - I would not consider anything else for this application. Have taken the bike/saddle on a couple of week long tours, comfortable all the way.
OTOH- the Friday with a B-17, Trek 520 has the Imperial, commuter with SA, Roadie with Aravis . Partner very happy with Champion Flyer. All comfortable for a day's ride or several weeks. Been thinking about the latest Brooks creation - Cambrium (sp.) and N+1 ?

Last edited by martianone; 12-27-13 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Ps
Old 12-28-13, 02:57 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I wrote up a review of my experiences with the Selle Anatomica Titanico X here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...tomica-saddles

I suspect they keep having sales to clear out their stock of saddles prior to their redesign, but I could be wrong, as the saddles I received from them seemed to each be made to order, but then again I was ordering a red one with gun metal colored rivets from their Titanico line, so maybe only those are made to order, and they have stocks of more commonly ordered ones on hand?

Hope it helps.

Last edited by Medic Zero; 12-28-13 at 03:06 AM.
Old 12-28-13, 05:59 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
The S/A saddle is very different from the Brooks saddles.
The main reason for this is that the entire S/A saddle sags under you as you ride as opposed to the Brooks saddles that really only sag under the sit bones. The S/A saddles are very good news for your perineum.
The Brooks saddles all develop a hard ridge right up the center of the saddle which pushes into the middle bits whereas the S/A saddles don't so much.
With the S/A saddles you feel like you have two "slung hammocks", one under each cheek, and each one moves independently of the other. Very different feel from the Brooks saddles.
The older S/A saddles have a reputation for wearing out quickly. The leather stretches and sags and needs to be tightened periodically, and eventually the saddle is junk. Some folks have worn out S/A saddles in only a few hundred miles. The newer ones (Titanico X) supposedly last much longer.
I have a Titanico X myself with about 500 miles on it. I've only tightened the screw once and I weigh around 190. I think this saddle will last much longer than the older ones, however, it is definitely much stiffer than the older ones and therefore not quite as comfortable. There's always a trade-off.
I would say that if you are concerned with perineum issues, the S/A saddle is the right choice. If you're mainly concerned with longevity, go with the Brooks.
Old 12-28-13, 07:05 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Aerohip
Hi guys, anyone have this Saddle? I've been leaning towards a Brooks B17 but a LBS employee was telling me this was a better Saddle. Thoughts?
I'm accidently doing a comparison between a new B-17 "Aged" on my town bike & a Selle Anatomica Titanico X on my Rando-ish build.
With only a few hundred miles on each I could ride either comfortably but the nod would go to the SA for a century.
Longevity has not been an issue on a Brooks for me, the SA is an open question. The longer rails as Bikemig mentioned are welcome on the SA for my fit.

I did take advantage of SA's $99 sale:

https://www.selleanatomica.com/

-Bandera
Old 12-28-13, 07:21 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
I'm accidently doing a comparison between a new B-17 "Aged" on my town bike & a Selle Anatomica Titanico X on my Rando-ish build.
With only a few hundred miles on each I could ride either comfortably but the nod would go to the SA for a century.
Longevity has not been an issue on a Brooks for me, the SA is an open question. The longer rails as Bikemig mentioned are welcome on the SA for my fit.

I did take advantage of SA's $99 sale:

https://www.selleanatomica.com/

-Bandera
I took advantage of the sale as well. The SA saddle without the cut out has shorter rails than the one with the cut out but the rails on either model are longer than on the Brooks. It can be hard to get the fore/aft placement right on a Brooks esp. if you have one of the saddles with the old school double rails (i.e. that require either a straight post or a seat "sandwich" to work with a modern seatpost). Brooks designed their saddles for early 19th century bikes and they had slack angles. Bikes changed, the design for Brooks' saddles not so much. That's part of their charm but it can also be a problem.

I bought the SA because of the longer rails. I got the SA saddle without the cut out and shorter rails (because that is apparently a better design if you ride off road and I bought the saddle for a vintage mtb that I am converting to drops). That tells you that SA must have had issues with the saddle with the cut out and longer rails. By next year, you'll be able to have the saddle with the cut outs with shorter rails (which are still longer than the Brooks) and that will fix the problem.

Bottom line: depending on the application, as Bandera said, the SA may be the better choice.

Last edited by bikemig; 12-28-13 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-28-13, 07:43 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I've been using Brooks saddles for over 40 years and just bought a Selle Anatomica since they were on sale over the holidays. So far it is really comfortable, it began conforming to me right away. Is it better? It's hard to say, it's winter and I'm not taking any really long rides. I've never had a problem with Brooks saddles, the Selle Anatomica is a good saddle, you might take a look at Velo Orange also. I've had two of them and been pleased with them. Leather works for me.

Marc

Last edited by irwin7638; 12-28-13 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-29-13, 02:34 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
The newer ones (Titanico X) supposedly last much longer.
I think "X" is just a size choice you make when you order.
Old 12-29-13, 02:48 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
I think "X" is just a size choice you make when you order.
It's a difference in the laminate not the size.

"This is the saddle for riders between 160 and 250 lbs. An innovative second laminate provides increased support to the leather upper."

-https://www.selleanatomica.com/products/titanico-x/

-Bandera
Old 12-29-13, 04:12 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I've had my S/A Titanico for 3 seasons, ~15,000 miles. The most comfortable saddle.......ever! I've had Brooks, they are OK, S/A is much better IMHO. I installed the saddle, adjusted it, then first ride was a full century......no problems, comfy all the way. I paid full price, $200, best $200 I have ever spent on cycling gear.
Forget the Brooks.
Old 12-29-13, 06:21 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifty
I've had my S/A Titanico for 3 seasons, ~15,000 miles. The most comfortable saddle.......ever! I've had Brooks, they are OK, S/A is much better IMHO. I installed the saddle, adjusted it, then first ride was a full century......no problems, comfy all the way. I paid full price, $200, best $200 I have ever spent on cycling gear.
Forget the Brooks.
That's the most mileage I've heard of from an S/A saddle. Can you give us some specifics? Such as:

How far through the adjustment bolt are you now?
Your bodyweight?
What kind of bike you have it on?

Thanks.
Old 12-29-13, 06:37 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I weigh in at 165, and I keep the screw pretty tight, I like a firm saddle.

The bike is a Cannondale Synapse carbon. I average 5 to 6 thousand miles a year, this year was 5200. Living in Oregon the saddle is exposed to some rain and wet, no problem with that so far, I sprayed the bottom of the saddle with a silicon base water repellent (shoe and boot spray), I guess that is working. I never leave the bike out in the rain, but it's been on the top of the car in showers a few times.
Old 12-29-13, 09:14 PM
bransom

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had mine for three years, maybe a bit longer, and I love it. Instantly comfortable. And I'm a big dude: 6'1" and 250 lbs. I've got several thousand miles on it (though nowhere near 15k) with no issues. I think I've tightened it maybe twice. Best $199 ever spent as, finally, the saddle just isn't ever an issue anymore.
Old 12-30-13, 02:41 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Anatomica X and a Brooks Professional. They're both really nice saddles but I'd go with the Anatomica X if touring. The reason being that it doesn't have a problem being exposed to wet whereas Brooks do and you'd need to bring along extra stuff for conditioning the Brooks.
Old 12-30-13, 06:32 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bandera
It's a difference in the laminate not the size.

"This is the saddle for riders between 160 and 250 lbs. An innovative second laminate provides increased support to the leather upper."

-https://www.selleanatomica.com/products/titanico-x/

-Bandera
My point stands. It is a choice based on the "size" of the rider. Not for everybody. For bigger "sized" riders.
Old 12-30-13, 03:45 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
I've been wanting to try one of the cut out models for sometime so recently I bit the bullet and after many years of owning Brooks B17's I will be trying out a SA Ti X. The old knock against them was that they stretched out too quickly but supposedly with the X version and the double laminate, it will wear longer. We'll see. If any interested I will give an impartial review as the year goes on as to the SA vs. B17
Old 12-30-13, 05:46 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I've never had a problem with Brooks saddles, the Selle Anatomica is a good saddle, you might take a look at Velo Orange also.
Tensioned leather saddles:
Persons
Berthoud
Tops
Selle Monte Grappa

Gyes
Cardiff, made by Gyes
Velo Orange, made by Gyes
Zimbale, made by Gyes
Origin 8, made by Gyes

Torelli, probably made by Gyes
Dia Compe, probably made by Gyes
Spa, probably made by Gyes
Papillionaire, probably made by Gyes
Rivet, probably made by Gyes

Lepper (out of business?)
Ideale - definitely out of business, occasional NOS available
Old 12-31-13, 12:35 PM
lubers

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Cannondale ST400, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have three of the Selle Anatomica saddles, one on my wife's bike, one on my daughters bike and one on son in laws bike. All three were mine at one time and they all complained they couldn't find a seat that they liked, but were too cheap to buy a good one. None of them gave my saddles back, they love them and won't part with them. My touring bike sports a Brooks Flyer had for about ten years now and still love it. I'm done buying Selle saddles can't seem to hang on to them (oops just ordered another one I had a ten percent coupon so for eighty some bucks I ordered another one for my commuter bike that had a rock hard seat on it), out of the box they are the best, but after the Brooks get broken in they are just as good or better. Either way you can't lose.

Trek 930
1988 Cannondale ST400

Last edited by lubers; 12-31-13 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-31-13, 02:57 PM
redbike72

Bikes: Balthorium G

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get lots of opinions about saddles but your own backside is always the final judge.
We've seen enough conflicting views on saddles to fill a library.
If you like it, buy it.... if you hate it, don't be afraid to move on.
Old 12-31-13, 07:07 PM
ricebowl
Bourbon junkie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Switched to a titanico after seven years on a brooks pro. For some reason started having comfort problems with the brooks. The Selle Anatomica is a more comfortable saddle than the brooks pro. But the quality, durability, and looks are lacking. My brooks aged nicely if anything it might look better than when it came out of the box. I haven't needed to add much tension at most 1/2 turn of the screw. Still has many miles of use left on it, if I can figure out why it became uncomfortable. The Titanico noticeably sagged after returning from quick rides. I've only got about 10% of tension left, after very little use ~500 miles. The quality of the leather and workmanship isn't comparable to the brooks. Oh I'm ~165 lbs, I think the weight recommendations were different when I ordered.

Another one to consider is Rivet Saddles, similar to the SA saddles. Company is headed by a former employee of SA, I believe. Made in Taiwan instead of the U.S. But if the comfort and quality are there, origin is secondary.

Last edited by ricebowl; 12-31-13 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-05-14, 01:24 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 503 Posts
I just bought a Titanico X in the discount deal, Vintage color. I have a few others, dating back about 5 years ago to Tom Miller's time. I liked my first one quite a lot. I tried two different Watersheds, and did not find those able to set up correctly. This Titanico X will (I hope) have more Brooks-like stiffness with the effective dual hammock concept. We'll see!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.