Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Drinking Water

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Drinking Water

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-18, 04:17 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Can someone with a clue explain the relevance of the topic about extracting water from underneath the surface of the land to the purpose of the Living Car free list (as delineated in the list header), or what justifies its introduction on this list in another barely disguised P&R rant?
There are those of us that do long distance bike commuting (or touring if you wish), and we often get to places where water fountains aren't available.

So... perhaps it would not be a stretch to say we need more public wells in remote areas.

However, at least in Western Oregon, one doesn't have to go too deep to get to water. Eastern Oregon may be somewhat different. Still, there is water if one digs deep enough.

I would imagine southern cycling (eastern California, New Mexico, Arizona, etc), would require even more water planning. Dipping into Northern Mexico?

Can we call the Trans America Race a commute?
Old 06-18-18, 04:50 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
In most places, there is water... somewhere. But, the shallow water is relatively clean. The deep water may be briny, or mixed with oil (ok, that may be good for some, but bad for drinking).

The benefit, of course, of briny deep water is that it may be cheaper to purify it than to transport clean water from distant places.

In some places, land subsidence, and sink holes are related to ground water removal, and lowering the water tables. So, take out too much water, and one has bigger problems.

And, of course, Oklahoma has removed oil and water from one layer, and put it back in a different layer, causing a growing problem of earthquakes.

It is also unclear how quick the deep water replenishes. There may be a sea level water table in areas. But, draining water in one place could have significant impacts elsewhere. For example, draining springs in vital desert oasis.
yes deep drilling is also very expensive. It is also prone to saline and acid infusion.

Still the result of drawing down the easy to get to water table table in Oklahoma led to the great dust bowl. Still not a LCF issue.

A shallow water well can be as much as 600 feet and runs between 30 and 70.00 a foot. The whole system for such a well in Colorado runs about $22,000.00.

Like you said there may be deep water much farther down but the drinkability of that water is often in question. Still not a LCF question.
Old 06-18-18, 05:06 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
There are those of us that do long distance bike commuting (or touring if you wish), and we often get to places where water fountains aren't available.
See previous comments that a rational person recognizing the limitations of his choice of transport would carry with or purchase sufficient supplies when passing through "primitive areas", rather than expect to be served whatever he wants, whenever/wherever he might be.

What is next? An expectation that free feeding, toilet and hygiene facilities be built in primitive areas for those few snowflakes that want to go to the wild but without having to make any effort to take care of their own needs?
Old 06-18-18, 05:43 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
We have a serious water crisis in urban areas. Hundreds of LCFers, cyclists and pedestrians have already perished and died from dehydration and lack of clean drinking water. We need to force the governments of our cities to start installing water fountains and free solar powered bottled water dispensers in our cities to save lives....On a more serious note, I have never seen or heard of any water shortages in urban areas where 99.9% of LCFers and commuter cyclist live.
Old 06-18-18, 05:59 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
We have a serious water crisis in urban areas. Hundreds of LCFers, cyclists and pedestrians have already perished and died from dehydration and lack of clean drinking water. We need to force the governments of our cities to start installing water fountains and free solar powered bottled water dispensers in our cities to save lives....On a more serious note, I have never seen or heard of any water shortages in urban areas where 99.9% of LCFers and commuter cyclist live.
Ahh, we have you there. We now know of "one" that once got dehydrated.
Old 06-18-18, 06:39 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
The notion that it may be a right to have someone else provide you with water, or anything else, is patently absurd. You may have rights to water as a commonweal property asset, but you certainly have no "right" to force someone else to work on your behalf to tap that water and provide you with access.
Old 06-19-18, 05:04 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
The notion that it may be a right to have someone else provide you with water, or anything else, is patently absurd. You may have rights to water as a commonweal property asset, but you certainly have no "right" to force someone else to work on your behalf to tap that water and provide you with access.
And then there's the whole topic of water rights.

Water entitlements - Water Register

Water Licences

And more.
Old 06-19-18, 06:52 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Can someone with a clue explain the relevance of the topic about extracting water from underneath the surface of the land to the purpose of the Living Car free list (as delineated in the list header), or what justifies its introduction on this list in another barely disguised P&R rant?
It's a question of where you can go car-free. It depends on your mode, how much you're sweating, etc. I recently went hiking and I was feeling great going through an area with many lakes where I could filter water. Then, the terrain suddenly shifted to being sunny and sandy and it only took about 10 miles to dehydrate me. Fortunately, there was water at the end of that sunny, hot, dry 10 miles but it turned out to be chlorinated so I threw in the towel. I didn't want to be rehydrating for days with chlorinated water. If I had been biking, it wouldn't have made such a difference, because I would be 50 miles further in a day, and there would be stores, etc. probably with unchlorinated water. It just so happened that I was hiking and the terrain changed. It makes you appreciate someone like the Goldman-Sachs exec linked in the OP who wants to make groundwater available to poor people who have to walk a long way for water. On the one hand, it's good to walk but if it's possible to get water where you are instead of walking miles out of your way just to get water, then you can rehydrate and walk other places besides just going back and forth to your water source.

Why are you calling this a P&R topic? Because it can turn into a discussion about water rights? Isn't it fundamentally just about where you can go and how based on the need for water and hydration?
Old 06-19-18, 07:16 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower

Why are you calling this a P&R topic? Because it can turn into a discussion about water rights? Isn't it fundamentally just about where you can go and how based on the need for water and hydration?
Maybe FOO or Trollheim are more appropriate for this kind of personal issue "stuff" that has nothing to do with living/thinking rationally, car free or otherwise.
Old 06-19-18, 07:38 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Maybe FOO or Trollheim are more appropriate for this kind of personal issue "stuff" that has nothing to do with living/thinking rationally, car free or otherwise.
Water is as relevant to car-free living as gasoline is relevant to driving.
Old 06-19-18, 07:54 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
Water is as relevant to car-free living as gasoline is relevant to driving.
Therefore, we should be willing to pay for water whenever and wherever we need it.
Old 06-19-18, 08:01 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
WHen I was growing up we didn't have well. We have this big container that catches rain water. It was enough to the whole family. But I recall not taking many baths.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 06-19-18 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-19-18, 10:32 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I live in a desert that is under extreme to exceptional drought.
  • Exceptional and widespread crop/pasture losses
  • Shortages of water in reservoirs, streams, and wells creating water emergencies

I've never been to a gas station that wouldn't let me fill my water bottles.

Otherwise if not near known water source, I carry either a 6L or 10L water bag depending on trip duration. These bags are very durable and will not develop leaks.