Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Zwift heard rate monitor question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-18, 02:58 PM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I am currently riding on Zwift with a Garmin heart rate monitor strap. It of course will not show heart rate on the game itself so I have to have an Ant+ device on my handlebar to read heart rate. Question is, can I buy a bluetooth heart rate monitor chest strap and then it will show heart rate on the game? I use a Direto smart trainer, Apple TV for the app and then the companion app on my Apple SE phone to use as a controller. And, if so, would most any blue tooth compatible chest strap that I can find on ebay work? I am wanting to do this so I can free up some space on my handlebar to put a phone holder on it. Thanks!
Old 08-18-18, 03:05 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I faced the same problem when I started using Zwift with an Apple TV. I simply went onto Amazon and bought a Bluetooth compatible chest strap. Works perfectly. I live in Canada, so almost all these things are more expensive. I think that my cost including shipping came to about $35 CDN. If you live in the US, it would cost much less.
Old 08-18-18, 09:04 PM
MonsterFat

Bikes: Fat City Monster Fat, BMC Roadmachine, Trek Emonda, Trek 2100, Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The wahoo strap I have is both ant and Bluetooth.
Old 08-19-18, 09:13 AM
Slick Madone

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Why not the Wahoo TickrX? It shows up right near the cadence and power output on the screen.
Old 08-19-18, 03:05 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I had the same issue. I just go without hr for Zwift. If my chest strap dies again I will probably ditch it all together and use a power meter on my bikes alone.
Old 08-19-18, 11:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
4iii strap is both ant+ and BT
Old 08-20-18, 04:43 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Yes, you could use any Bluetooth heart rate sensor on Zwift. For Apple TV you will have to do one of the workarounds because ATV only supports 3 BT connections at a time and one of them is used for the remote control - you need three for cadence, heart rate and power.

The workarounds are well documented - either use the phone Zwift Companion app as a bridge, or use something like the NPE Cable Device (here) to trick the ATV. I've used both - on my Android phone, an Android update made WiFi drop out every now and then so I bought the NPE device and it works fine.
Old 08-20-18, 08:13 AM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
Yes, you could use any Bluetooth heart rate sensor on Zwift. For Apple TV you will have to do one of the workarounds because ATV only supports 3 BT connections at a time and one of them is used for the remote control - you need three for cadence, heart rate and power.

The workarounds are well documented - either use the phone Zwift Companion app as a bridge, or use something like the NPE Cable Device (here) to trick the ATV. I've used both - on my Android phone, an Android update made WiFi drop out every now and then so I bought the NPE device and it works fine.
That is what I was a bit confused about....the number of blue tooth connections the Apple TV will support. Cadence, speed, and power comes through the smart trainer, the Direto so would that not count as only one? The Iphone with the companion app would count as #2 and adding the heart rate monitor would count as #3 ? BTY, I went with the Stages chest strap that I found for a decent price on Ebay, should be here in a few days.
Old 08-20-18, 11:22 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I don't know how the Direto works, but for most smart trainers only power and sometimes speed comes directly from the trainer - heart rate and cadence come directly to the ATV (or a PC or iPad, etc) from the heart rate and cadence sensors.

If you run the companion app on your phone, it acts as a bridge between Zwift and all devices - you connect the HRM and cadence sensor to your phone or tablet. That works fine on my iPad, but on my Android phone I kept having dropouts since an Android update back in April - many seemed to have this problem on Android, but all works fine on iPad or iPhone.
Old 08-22-18, 12:25 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I used a garmin HRM and ANT+ for the first year I had zwift - you just need an ANT+ receiver. Easy if you use a PC, not so easy with Apple TV. It died and I got a dual ANT+/BT heart rate monitor because bluetooth works with more things.

You can:
1) get an ANT+ dongle for your phone and bridge to your apple TV
2) get a BT HRM and pair that with your TV
3) ignore your HR. (or do what you're currently doing)
Old 08-22-18, 07:28 PM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Option -- use ANT+ sensors with Apple TV by converting the ANT+ signals to Bluetooth.

There are two devices on the market. One is the aforementioned Viiiiva Heart Rate Monitor:
Trusted by pros and enthusiasts alike, Viiiiva is 10x more sensitive than most heart rate monitors, 5x more responsive, uses advanced beat-to-beat measurement, and can store up to 65 hours of data. The sensor also collects and transfers data from your other ANT+ products via Bluetooth to your iOS or Android device.

Viiiiva Heart Rate Monitor

The other is the aforementioned CABLE:
The CABLE (Connect ANT+ to BLE) is one of a kind stand alone device which converts ANT+ sensor data into industry standard Bluetooth Low Energy connections. The ANT+ data is then available in any application capable of consuming BLE profile data. This is the only stand-alone ANT+ to BLE converter on the market.

CABLE

Either device will receive the signals from your ANT+ devices and send a Bluetooth signal which Apple devices can read. And the CABLE, if not both, sends all the sensors it is reading as one Bluetooth signal, so multiple ANT+ sensors take only one Bluetooth slot on the Apple receiver.