Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Touching the ground from the saddle?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Touching the ground from the saddle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-18, 03:00 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Who cares? I can reach the ground with my tip-toe if I really want to, but it seems like an uncomfortable way to wait at a light, and it is slower and less stable when I get moving again.

Last edited by Kapusta; 08-21-18 at 03:06 AM.
Old 08-21-18, 03:55 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I still don't see how people cannot put one set of toes down without getting off the saddle.
It's because you're switching references. Saddle height is is set from the bottom bracket, and is rider adjustable. Saddle-to-ground is saddle height + bottom bracket height off ground. And BB height - for various reasons pretty much stays the same regardless of rider/frame size. This means that a shorter (legged) rider will be proportionally farther off the ground than a taller(longer legged) rider. The legs and the corresponding reach from good pedaling position to full extension gets shorter, but the bb height stays the same.

The industry doesn't scale all the parts when going from one size bike to another. Bikes are built to allow people to pedal through (most) turns w/o the inside pedal hitting the ground. Since crankarm length and q-factor (crankset width) doesn't change much (or at all) with different rider sizes, a smaller rider has to sit proportionally higher than a taller rider.
You could make smaller riders have the same reach to the ground as taller riders. But it'd require making more thorough changes. Dropping the BB to give the same clearance with shorter cranks. Maybe assuming a shorter rider ALSO have smaller feet and can use shorter pedal spindles/narrower cranks etc.

Originally Posted by Lazyass
If I tilt my bike over I can almost get my foot completely flat on the ground.
Well, at SOME degree of tilt, everybody will make it. Question is how useful/comfortable it is.
To me, even at 182 cm, it's toes-to-ground if I want to remain in saddle. For a comfy, flat footed stance I have to get off the saddle.
And even that isn't a given.
I sold my 29er mtb b/c the sum of parts, fork travel, type/size of headset/steerer tube/head tube etc created a high, straight top tube that I was barely able to straddle anywhere else but right in front of the saddle.
Old 08-21-18, 04:42 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Doesn't it depend on crank arm length?
Crank arm length normally varies by 5mm. It maxes out at 10mm. If the bottom of the pedal stroke is close enough to the ground to touch it with your toes, either you're at severe risk of pedal strike around corners or you have a very slack seat tube. And still, the height at which a road saddle is normally off the ground for pedaling should make this impossible. I'd be curious to see an image of what the OP means; it seems likely the people in question are forward off the saddle or tilting the bike.
Old 08-21-18, 07:48 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
You've never seen anyone under 5'7" or so ride a road bike? I'd say 95% of women who line up for a road race or crit can't reach the ground from the saddle
Quoted for truth. On most bikes that I've owned and I've owned a boat load, I can not touch the ground while seated.

Old 08-21-18, 08:07 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I'd be curious to see an image of what the OP means; it seems likely the people in question are forward off the saddle or tilting the bike.
Pretty common when the GCN guys are chatting before comparing two bikes, check these clips. Yes, there is some bike tilt and they are on their toes, but nothing too extreme. I've failed when trying to do this...

Here at 24 sec:

14 sec in this one:

Skip forward to 1:36:

Edit: those links were supposed to play from a certain timestamp, but that doesn't seem to be working on my computer... added time reference.

Last edited by Caliper; 08-21-18 at 08:18 AM. Reason: problems with links
Old 08-21-18, 08:10 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Who cares? I can reach the ground with my tip-toe if I really want to, but it seems like an uncomfortable way to wait at a light, and it is slower and less stable when I get moving again.
Exactly. And once you're seated and moving it doesn't matter.
Old 08-21-18, 08:24 AM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Some people are missing the fact that short legs can extend less far than long legs can. The height of the pedal is constant and the reach you need to touch the ground is harder for shorter people. I am 6'0" and can put one foot down seated, not two, and feel somewhat unweildy and will unseat if I feel like I might fall over.
Old 08-21-18, 08:29 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper

14 sec in this one:
https://youtu.be/DI1Ag8vWzIg?t=14s

Pretty common when the GCN guys are chatting before comparing two bikes, check these clips. Yes, there is some bike tilt and they are on their toes, but nothing too extreme. I've failed when trying to do this.
this is exactly what I do at shorter stops. I'm curious how one fails at do this.

If it's a longer stop, I might sit on the top tube.

Old 08-21-18, 08:53 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I think... for me... the most important part is the amount of bend in my knee.... as I begin my [cycling] downward stroke. I think too much pressure or an overly bend knee [when cycling] is an unnatural and destructive position. To keep my original equipment knees in working order, I believe keeping my weight in check helps . And since I spend a lot of hours cycling.... I think proper position when pedaling might also help preserve the condition of my knees. I know they make new knees as many of my friends have had their knees replaced. New knees are certainly a better idea than the painful and disabling effect of worn-out knees. But still.... a stitch in time....

I don't mind unclipping and leaning my bike a bit to put a foot on the ground from time-to-time.
Old 08-21-18, 09:12 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Pros (& ex pros) tend to have more knee bend & lower saddle height

relative to middle of the road amateurs.
Old 08-21-18, 09:21 AM
Caliper

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Pros (& ex pros) tend to have more knee bend & lower saddle height

relative to middle of the road amateurs.
Ok, why though? What do they gain by the lower saddle?
Old 08-21-18, 09:34 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The window of adjustment for us mortals is around 10Ί of ankle to hip angle (say a leg angle of 140-150Ί), and the pros won't be far from that. There is no hard and fast rule about saddle height-- if it's comfortable, ride it. I'm more comfortable when my saddle is higher, my knees start to complain pretty quickly when it's too low. The pros are also all stem-slammers, riding bikes that are too small, so their bodies are often contorted into positions we couldn't manage for even an hour or two. Don't look at pro cyclists as examples of proper fit.

And whatever you do, don't look at time trialists or triathletes.
Old 08-21-18, 09:35 AM
woodcraft

Ok, why though? What do they gain by the lower saddle?

More fluid pedal stroke, & many folks just have their saddle too high.
Old 08-21-18, 09:37 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

99% of recreational cyclists going in for their first bike fit have their saddle too low. Often because they want to be able to touch the ground while seated.
Old 08-21-18, 10:16 AM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
99% of recreational cyclists going in for their first bike fit have their saddle too low. Often because they want to be able to touch the ground while seated.

Yes, but among up-and-running cyclists, I notice a lot of this:

I'm not saying to emulate saddle/bar drop, but nothing wrong with looking at pro's knee bend & to some degree hip angle:

Last edited by woodcraft; 08-21-18 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-21-18, 02:02 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I've seen plenty of pics where a pro has the outside heel horizontal and the leg fully extended, while cornering (not pedaling). It's only the normal heel rise while pedaling that creates the bend at the knee. That saddle height looks unusually low to me.

I can drop my heel slightly below horizontal with my leg full extended. I can't come close to touching the pavement without getting off the saddle.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 08-21-18 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-21-18, 02:08 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Pretty common when the GCN guys are chatting before comparing two bikes, check these clips. Yes, there is some bike tilt and they are on their toes, but nothing too extreme. I've failed when trying to do this...
That looks strange to me, but without being there, it doesn't look impossible for them to be tilted enough to make this possible. It also looks like they might be sliding partway to the side and tilting their pelvis laterally. I'm still curious why you perceive this as preferable to just sliding forward off the saddle when stopped, then lifting back up as you start pedaling.
Old 08-21-18, 02:19 PM
Caliper

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
That looks strange to me, but without being there, it doesn't look impossible for them to be tilted enough to make this possible. It also looks like they might be sliding partway to the side and tilting their pelvis laterally. I'm still curious why you perceive this as preferable to just sliding forward off the saddle when stopped, then lifting back up as you start pedaling.
Yes it did look strange when I first noticed it. I just know that when I have attempted this, the bike is at a ridiculous angle and there is no way I could start out like they are able to.

It's more just curiosity than preference for how one stands when preparing to ride away. Sitting on the bike and looking cool on one tiptoe isn't my main goal, but what in their setup leaves them able to do this? These guys aren't noobs, so their bike fit is probably pretty decent and is fairly different from mine. Maybe I can learn something.
Old 08-21-18, 02:40 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Yes it did look strange when I first noticed it. I just know that when I have attempted this, the bike is at a ridiculous angle and there is no way I could start out like they are able to.

It's more just curiosity than preference for how one stands when preparing to ride away. Sitting on the bike and looking cool on one tiptoe isn't my main goal, but what in their setup leaves them able to do this? These guys aren't noobs, so their bike fit is probably pretty decent and is fairly different from mine. Maybe I can learn something.
I just checked on my bike. With 165mm cranks where manufacturers would spec 172.5, I can just barely do it, but it's uncomfortable. Would an extra 7.5mm help? Of course. It would still be uncomfortable, and seems pointless. It's interesting that these guys do it, but I don't see anyone else do it, pro or otherwise.

I still wouldn't sweat it.
Old 08-21-18, 05:45 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Never thought about it until reading this thread so today, I checked and I can easily touch the ground from the saddle. Not even just the tip of my toes but the full toes are on the ground. I'm 5'8" and my saddle is set so I'm almost at full extension, pushing my heel down a bit would fully extend my leg. My bike is a Large size.
Old 08-21-18, 08:25 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Never checked either until reading this. 6’3” on a 57.5cm bike. Heel on pedal at bottom of stroke with a tiny bend. Can put foot flat if I slide over on saddle a little like the guy in the video.
Old 08-22-18, 07:17 PM
bleui

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm only 5'7 and can comfortably use my toe when stopping, I think most who can't do this have too high of a saddle. The Cavendish pic above is a good example of how a knee should bend on the 6 o'clock position
Old 08-22-18, 07:20 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Well, I'm 7 inches taller than you and absolutely cannot touch the ground when in the saddle. If I were to lower my saddle to the point where I could, my knees would probably rebel and attempt to leave my body.
Old 08-23-18, 04:40 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
I was going to post in here with some kind of vague and snarky comment without actually contributing to this think tank. Then I was out riding, and as I rolled to a stop, this thread popped into my head and I tried it. I did it.

I put my left toe on the ground while in the saddle. It was ok. I couldn't see sitting through a traffic cycle like that, though.

I eased forward from my saddle, and crouched on the top tube...

"Unless he had been racing, there is no way that he could match my speed."
Old 08-23-18, 09:31 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Well, I'm 7 inches taller than you and absolutely cannot touch the ground when in the saddle. If I were to lower my saddle to the point where I could, my knees would probably rebel and attempt to leave my body.
This is mystifying me. Seriously.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.