Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Looking for hybrid suggestions

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 08-19-18, 11:28 AM
wheelzbat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I'm looking to replace my 20 year old Trek 820 Mountain Track. The bike has served me well over the years. I'm 51 years old, 6'3" and 185 lbs and pretty athletic. I've been using the 820 on paved paths a lot lately and it gives me the itch for an upgrade. I usually try to ride around 10 miles 4-5 times a week for fitness. I don't have a preference for type of brakes, since I won't be using in rain. Mostly flat riding with small hills. Budget probably no more than $750

Bikes I'm looking at:

Cannondale Quick 4 or 5
Giant Escape 1 Disc
Giant Fastroad SL3
Trek FX 3

Thanks in advance
Old 08-19-18, 11:59 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I run a Quick 7 and it fits me well. I have all hills where I live and the gears on my bike work out well for my condition. That said, I am 69 and just getting back into riding this year and it was a toss up for me between the Trek and the Cannondale. I am happy with what I chose but it fits me. That, the fit, I have found out, is the most important part of the equation in my case.
Good luck, Frank.
Old 08-19-18, 01:52 PM
wheelzbat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just tested the Quick 5 disc and Escape 1 Disc. Both had a nice fit. Both bikes had nice acceleration and very responsive. Seemed like the Giant was a little quicker. Maybe it was my imagination. The salesman was really pushing disc brakes for some reason, although they did seem more responsive than my caliper brakes. Going to try the Trek's next. I wanted to see the Giant Fastroad SL 3, but dealer didn't have it in stock. Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Fastroad and how it compares to the Escape.
Old 08-19-18, 06:49 PM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have the Trek Fx3 and my brother has the Quick 5. He has disc brakes, I do not. We both like our bikes. I don’t see a huge difference between the brakes unless you ride in the rain, which I do my best to avoid. The Giants are nice as well. Can’t really make a mistake with your list. Fit and personal preference probably makes your decision.
Old 08-19-18, 07:29 PM
wheelzbat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by talphie
I have the Trek Fx3 and my brother has the Quick 5. He has disc brakes, I do not. We both like our bikes. I don’t see a huge difference between the brakes unless you ride in the rain, which I do my best to avoid. The Giants are nice as well. Can’t really make a mistake with your list. Fit and personal preference probably makes your decision.
I tested the Trek FX3 this afternoon. Ride is similar to the Giant Escape 1 Disc and Cannondale. It did seem lighter than the Giant. I did like the handgrips better on the FX3 than either the Giant Escape 1 Disc and Cannondale Qiuick 5 Disc. All 3 bikes fit me well and felt comfortable. Kinda leaning towards the Giant or Cannondale since the bike store is located in town. Trek dealer is about a 25 minute drive. I still would like to try the Fastroad SL 3, but not sure if other Giant dealer has it to demo.
Old 08-19-18, 10:22 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
The difference, to me, between disc and caliper brakes is better stopping in the rain and the fact that you do not put any wear on the rim of the wheel with discs. I ride a lot of hills so I do wish I had had this knowledge before I bought my bike. That said I will need to put a lot of miles on my bike to wear out the rim. I only hope I have that many years left in me to need rims.
Frank.
Old 08-20-18, 04:19 PM
wheelzbat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Fastroad SL3 or maybe even the SL1 is really catching my eye. I do realize that the gearing is set up like a road bike. Do you guys think this bike will be good for mostly flat bike paths, roads with some occasional hills thrown in? I'm definitely going to stay with flat bar regardless. Just looking to go hard for and hour or so 2-4 times a week and the style of these bikes really caught my eye. I don't think my bike shop has either in stock, so I would have to drive to test ride.
Old 08-20-18, 06:51 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Not sure if you would consider this a hybrid. What about a Giant ARX. I have the ATX lite and I think it's a great bike. I believe it's the newer version of the ATX.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-arx
Old 08-20-18, 07:44 PM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelzbat
That Fastroad SL3 or maybe even the SL1 is really catching my eye. I do realize that the gearing is set up like a road bike. Do you guys think this bike will be good for mostly flat bike paths, roads with some occasional hills thrown in? I'm definitely going to stay with flat bar regardless. Just looking to go hard for and hour or so 2-4 times a week and the style of these bikes really caught my eye. I don't think my bike shop has either in stock, so I would have to drive to test ride.
The Fastroad SL's seems to be well suited for the kind of riding you describe. The gearing on them will be just fine.
Old 08-20-18, 09:51 PM
wheelzbat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andrei_r
The Fastroad SL's seems to be well suited for the kind of riding you describe. The gearing on them will be just fine.
Thank you. This is the type of bike I think I'm learning towards. What other bikes would be in this category? And is this type of bike actally just a road bike with a flat bar? Or is it a hybrd with more road characteristics? This will not be a bike for extended length rides and I don't really want drop bars.
Old 08-21-18, 03:16 AM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Thank you. This is the type of bike I think I'm learning towards. What other bikes would be in this category? And is this type of bike actally just a road bike with a flat bar? Or is it a hybrd with more road characteristics? This will not be a bike for extended length rides and I don't really want drop bars.
I put Jones H loop on my Giant ATX lite and I think they are awsome. With my hands in the front position i'm areo and its my road bike. With my hands in the outside position, it's my moutian bike and or I can get to the gears and brakes.
Old 08-21-18, 08:17 AM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
go hard for and hour or so
I think you've captured quite well the essence of this kind of bike with the above statement.

And is this type of bike actually just a road bike with a flat bar? Or is it a hybrid with more road characteristics?
Isn't it the same thing? Does it really matter what you call it? Call it a "go hard for an hour without drop bars" bike if you want. You're already looking at the right bikes. Maybe look at the 2018 Fast road SLR if any are still available. It uses a higher grade of aluminum and is supposed to be lighter. And it's a bit more expensive. Trek has the FX Sport 4 in the price range of the SL1. Specialized has the Sirrus Elite Alloy. Is there one that you like the looks better? The colour? Fit is important as many here will tell you, so try to test ride or see what the return/exchange policy is if you have to make a blind purchase. Maybe you don't have to commit to buying if they order one for you.

Edit: Sorry, just reread your first post where you say no more than $750, but then again you mention the Fastroad SL1 which is over a grand, so that threw me off. SL3 is still a solid value bike.
Old 08-21-18, 09:54 AM
wheelzbat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andrei_r
I think you've captured quite well the essence of this kind of bike with the above statement.

Isn't it the same thing? Does it really matter what you call it? Call it a "go hard for an hour without drop bars" bike if you want. You're already looking at the right bikes. Maybe look at the 2018 Fast road SLR if any are still available. It uses a higher grade of aluminum and is supposed to be lighter. And it's a bit more expensive. Trek has the FX Sport 4 in the price range of the SL1. Specialized has the Sirrus Elite Alloy. Is there one that you like the looks better? The colour? Fit is important as many here will tell you, so try to test ride or see what the return/exchange policy is if you have to make a blind purchase. Maybe you don't have to commit to buying if they order one for you.

Edit: Sorry, just reread your first post where you say no more than $750, but then again you mention the Fastroad SL1 which is over a grand, so that threw me off. SL3 is still a solid value bike.

My budget was to stay around $750 or so. But I'm willing to go up to $1000. I'm going to check out the other bikes you mentioned. Going to call local dealer to check on return policy if not able to test ride.
Old 08-21-18, 10:10 AM
wheelzbat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice set-up on your ATX Baldilocks. Very cool handle bar addition. I wasn't able to respond on the post with your pics for some reason. Said I couldn't post URL's? Anyway, That bike looks like it can handle everything. I think I'm leaning to more of a road or paved path. set--up though.
Old 08-21-18, 12:45 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
I wanted to see the Giant Fastroad SL 3, but dealer didn't have it in stock. Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Fastroad and how it compares to the Escape.
No personal experience with either one, but comparing the Escape 1 Disc and the FastRoad SL 3 (which are roughly the same price), it looks like you're essentially trading gear range and larger brake rotors for a better grade of aluminum. Based on what you've said, you don't really need the low gearing provided by the 26T chain ring and the 34T cog on the cassette, so having a double crank instead of a triple would be a plus for you. Nor do you need the better braking power of the 160 rotor, so you might as well go with the slightly lighter 140. I don't really know how much difference there is in the aluminum, but a better grade is going to be at least some improvement.

So of those two bikes, I think the FastRoad is the better choice based on the type of riding you've described.
Old 08-21-18, 05:23 PM
wheelzbat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AU Tiger
No personal experience with either one, but comparing the Escape 1 Disc and the FastRoad SL 3 (which are roughly the same price), it looks like you're essentially trading gear range and larger brake rotors for a better grade of aluminum. Based on what you've said, you don't really need the low gearing provided by the 26T chain ring and the 34T cog on the cassette, so having a double crank instead of a triple would be a plus for you. Nor do you need the better braking power of the 160 rotor, so you might as well go with the slightly lighter 140. I don't really know how much difference there is in the aluminum, but a better grade is going to be at least some improvement.

So of those two bikes, I think the FastRoad is the better choice based on the type of riding you've described.
Thank you, That explains the difference between the bikes very well. I think I want to stay under $1,000, so I'm going to rule out the SL 1. Probably going to look at Quick 3 Disc also. So many bikes, so many choices.
Old 08-22-18, 10:20 PM
wheelzbat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I have narrowed it down to the Cannondale Quick 4 or 3 Disc and the Giant Fastroad SL3. I test rode the Quick 4 (they didn't have a 3 Disc) and I liked it more than the Quick 5 disk and I liked that Acid Green on the Quick 4 also. No one has the Fastroad to try, so it would be a blind purchase. I did try a Giant Contend 1 just to try a drop bar bike and I liked it. But, I just don't think I will be going on any really long rides to have the need for drops. Comparing the Quick 3 Disc to The SL 3, is there a big difference between the Claris on the Fastroad and the Sora on the Quick 3 Disc? Is it worth the extra $145 for the Quick 3 Disc?
Old 08-23-18, 12:29 PM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I'm looking to replace my 20 year old Trek 820 Mountain Track. The bike has served me well over the years. I'm 51 years old, 6'3" and 185 lbs and pretty athletic. I've been using the 820 on paved paths a lot lately and it gives me the itch for an upgrade. I usually try to ride around 10 miles 4-5 times a week for fitness. I don't have a preference for type of brakes, since I won't be using in rain. Mostly flat riding with small hills. Budget probably no more than $750

Bikes I'm looking at:

Cannondale Quick 4 or 5
Giant Escape 1 Disc
Giant Fastroad SL3
Trek FX 3

Thanks in advance
I am 44 and just recently sold my hybrid for a gravel bike. Less effort which helps as you get up in age. The hybrids are easier when comparing to a MB but a Gravel or street bike are even easier than a hybrid. As far as price anything under $1000 IMHO will be a challenge too for price is dictated by parts as much as the brand. The parts dictate the difficulty too; anyone tries to argue go by a Costco bike and tell me how well that rides.
Old 08-23-18, 02:58 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Comparing the Quick 3 Disc to The SL 3, is there a big difference between the Claris on the Fastroad and the Sora on the Quick 3 Disc? Is it worth the extra $145 for the Quick 3 Disc?
Claris is 8 speed, Sora is 9 speed. As far as I can see, they both have a 50/34 double crankset. You have the same range (11-32) of the cassette, but with 9 speed you have smaller jumps between the cogs. You may change the cassette for something different like 12-25 or 11-34 if that works better for you. There are more different cassettes available for 9 speed, but I think one can live with 8 speed just fine, especially if you do not need the complete 11-32 range.
Old 08-23-18, 06:51 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
I think I have narrowed it down to the Cannondale Quick 4 or 3 Disc and the Giant Fastroad SL3.
Looking at the Quick 4, the triple crank is 28/38/48. If you're riding all flats, you'll probably never use the 28. The 34/50 double on the Fastroad and Quick 3 Disc would give you slightly more range on the high end (faster speeds), but again on flats that may not really come into play. The 9-speed on the Cannondales would give you smaller steps between consecutive gears which can definitely be nice. It's too bad there isn't a Fastroad available locally for you to actually try and see how it rides.

I liked that Acid Green on the Quick 4 also.
That is definitely a cool color. I like the anthracite color on the Quick 3 Disc also. And don't underestimate the role looks can play here. If it gets you wanting to ride it more, then color matters.

Is it worth the extra $145 for the Quick 3 Disc?
Given the riding style you described, I don't think so. Disc brakes are nice (I have them on my mountain bike), but I wouldn't pay a premium for them on a bike intended for riding flats. Given that you've ridden the Quick 4 and liked it, I would go with that. But the other two look like very good bikes as well - you'll probably be happy with whichever one you choose.
Old 08-23-18, 07:46 PM
wheelzbat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AU Tiger
Looking at the Quick 4, the triple crank is 28/38/48. If you're riding all flats, you'll probably never use the 28. The 34/50 double on the Fastroad and Quick 3 Disc would give you slightly more range on the high end (faster speeds), but again on flats that may not really come into play. The 9-speed on the Cannondales would give you smaller steps between consecutive gears which can definitely be nice. It's too bad there isn't a Fastroad available locally for you to actually try and see how it rides.

That is definitely a cool color. I like the anthracite color on the Quick 3 Disc also. And don't underestimate the role looks can play here. If it gets you wanting to ride it more, then color matters.

Given the riding style you described, I don't think so. Disc brakes are nice (I have them on my mountain bike), but I wouldn't pay a premium for them on a bike intended for riding flats. Given that you've ridden the Quick 4 and liked it, I would go with that. But the other two look like very good bikes as well - you'll probably be happy with whichever one you choose.
I think I'm going with either the Quick 4 or Quick 3 Disc. I can't get myself to order a new bike that I haven't had a test ride(SL 3). I do like the anthracite on the Quick 3 Disc also, very unique. Might even try the Escape 1 Disc again. I liked the color, just not as much as Acid Green and the Anthracite on the Quick's. I always heard that Giant has one of the best values. It was about $50 more that the Quick 4, and has disc brakes, not that I really need disc brakes. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-24-18, 09:39 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Just my 2 cents; all else being equal, go with the bike shop you like best. They're where you're going to take it for all the warranty work, and you might as well go with someone who will work with you.

Ask me how I know this. Wait, no, on second thought don't ask.
Old 08-25-18, 11:53 AM
wheelzbat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Just my 2 cents; all else being equal, go with the bike shop you like best. They're where you're going to take it for all the warranty work, and you might as well go with someone who will work with you.

Ask me how I know this. Wait, no, on second thought don't ask.
Local is definitely the way to go. I have 3 smaller shops and a Performance Bicycle within 15 min. of my house so I have all the brands covered. Now it is just figuring out which shop and which bike to buy. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 08-25-18, 06:45 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I have a 2018 Giant Escape Disc and can highly recommend it. I really like the disc brakes. They are the first I have had on a bike. The stopping power feels much more consistent than with the rim brakes.
Old 08-25-18, 07:21 PM
wheelzbat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jskash
I have a 2018 Giant Escape Disc and can highly recommend it. I really like the disc brakes. They are the first I have had on a bike. The stopping power feels much more consistent than with the rim brakes.
I liked the Escape Disc, but I liked the color of the Cannondale Quick 4 better. Still considering Escape Disc just for the value alone. $750 for carbon fork and disc brakes. If I want to get equal in the Cannondale, I have to go all the way up to the Quick 3 Disc for $869. But, I do realize that the Quick 3 has better components and a road gear set up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.