Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback
Reload this Page >

Niagara Cycle Works, what have I gotten myself into?

Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

Niagara Cycle Works, what have I gotten myself into?

Old 01-07-16, 08:45 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Only because people like are so accepting of it and defend it as a fair practice.
I'm not defending it. I also don't think life is fair.
Old 09-07-17, 05:22 PM
redcolnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wouldn't let wife sit on bike...lol

Dropped in to one of their stores ...wifey was checking out a bike to buy. She went to sit on it and the grumpy old salesman told her she wasn't allowed to sit on the relatively cheapo hybrid. I know too that anytime I have called or emailed them that they have been less than friendly...grumpy. So I order from UK sellers because they are friendlier and their shipping is either free or far cheaper than Niagara cycle even though Niagara cycle is only 60 miles from me just across the border.

Last edited by redcolnago; 09-07-17 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-14-17, 01:22 AM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
"You can't prepare something for shipping if you don't have it in hand."

Well maybe not, but what are you expecting, a shampoo of the item? You prepare the shipping products and paperwork, item is found or arrives, and they drop it in the box.

"Maybe "in stock" meaning "in the catalog" is acceptable to those regular customers who are in the know and accept it. But it's a blatant lie to everyone else"

It depends, if you get stuff is in 1 day, like you are located across from the QBP warehouse, if there were certain items where that was possible, it could be a hell of a lot easier to handle that, than a part that is on your inventory, and nobody can find it, or someone took a 5 finger staff discount on it.

They have listed 20 000 + items on Amazon, tough to keep all that organized between several web presences and a physical store.
Old 09-22-17, 09:04 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I am pretty sure that almost all of Niagra's items come straight from QBP. At least, anything I have wanted from there comes from Q. So probably they have a feed-through to the QBP catalog to see if it's in stock. This fits with them taking a very long time in comparison to most online companies and also the pricing is consistent. There have been very few instances where they have had something I couldn't get faster and cheaper from my LBS. Nowadays, anything from QBP is at my LBS the day after they order it, and they order multiple times per week.
Old 09-22-17, 09:35 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
It's been a year. I'm sure the OP either has his stuff or a refund by now.

This is another Zombie thread, which someone disturbed the grave. In this case only to make a comment abut staff at the retail location.

That done, maybe we put it back 6' under and move on.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-25-18, 07:58 PM
ridesoldtrek
RidesOldTrek

Bikes: 2018 Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Trek TX-500, 1990 Bridgestone MB-3, 1983 Trek 500

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
You're right FBinNY, it has been a year (longer now!), but I think it's good to air bad vibes on a company that deserves them.

I'm also having a not so good experience with them right now. Ordered a set of Shimano XT hubs. Shipping time was fine, but the hubs came loose in a box with some packing paper (no factory packaging), and the plastic cap on the adjustable nut of one QR skewer was missing. Their packing slip Return Policy: No returns on items without their original factory packaging. Huh...

I emailed them with info and pics on a Friday night, they responded pretty quickly, said they would get back to me Monday but that they would accept a return without packaging if that's how it arrived. Good, but why are they selling hubs loose?

It's one week later and no response so far. I've been very busy so have not followed up, until today. Emailed them at 3:00 pm their time, still no response this evening.

Given the number of bad experiences expressed in this thread so far, it's clear their performance and service level is spotty at best. A little wider internet search and you'll see they have a pretty poor record. A single post on Glassdoor.com from a former employee paints a stark picture.

What to take from all of this? Great businesses, large or small, will stand out with rave reviews and super satisfied customers. Bad businesses look like Niagara. To look as bad as Niagara does takes owners that are focused things other than customers or employees.

Niagara accepts returns (must be within 30 days or so) but charges a 15% restocking fee. Jenson bikes accepts returns with no restocking fees for 1 year. Interesting contrast of how they relate to customers.

I'll also note that I ordered some rims from them through Amazon (at the same time, before this experience with hubs). Order arrived fine, no problems. But its my first time buying rims online so I don't know if other sellers package them differently.
Old 03-24-18, 03:08 PM
Yungavalanche80

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Legal thievs

Originally Posted by corrado33
I ordered an 8 speed nexus on amazon through niagara cycle works before I had read any reviews (it's amazon, I've never had a problem.) The IGH was supposed to be at my house yesterday. It never showed up. I checked the actual UPS tracking number and it says it hasn't even been shipped yet, only that the "label" has been created. Amazon say's it's "shipped." I then looked up reviews, seeing tons of reviews about how their (Niagara Cycle Works) service is terrible and they take forever to ship.

Should I wait it out? It is the holiday season. Should I just cancel the order? The only problem is that this was literally the only place I could find the hub. It's out of stock everywhere else. I'm afraid it's out of stock for them too and they just don't reflect that on their site (or amazon.)

EDIT: I placed the order on amazon on 11/27.
hey i just ordered tube simple huh? Not really..wasa pix an an ad for 20x1.75 continental tube w sharader valve ,easy not these guys i got a 20x1.9 to 20x2.5--' emailef them30× times(they said)(what you ordered you recieved 30+ times) am i stupid or are they crooks.and using false advertizement on the web isnt that illegal.i just joined to tell whoever us hraring me..NIGARA CYCLCE OF NEW YORK ARE LEGAL CROOKS ..THERE SHOULD BE LAWS FOR THEIR MISSREPERTATION OF WHAT THEY SHOW ONLINE AND WHAT STUPID PEOPLE RECIEVE YES ALL OVER 2 DAMM TUBES 20 LOUSY DOLLARS MY 20X1.75 TUBRS SHOULD BR HERE BY MONDAY STAY TUNED PLEASE....
Old 03-24-18, 05:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
You should also seek money back from your teachers and whatever spell checking app you use. You've obviously been defrauded there as well!
Old 04-04-18, 09:22 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,011 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
I ordered an 8 speed nexus on amazon through niagara cycle works before I had read any reviews (it's amazon, I've never had a problem.) The IGH was supposed to be at my house yesterday. It never showed up. I checked the actual UPS tracking number and it says it hasn't even been shipped yet, only that the "label" has been created. Amazon say's it's "shipped." I then looked up reviews, seeing tons of reviews about how their (Niagara Cycle Works) service is terrible and they take forever to ship.

Should I wait it out? It is the holiday season. Should I just cancel the order? The only problem is that this was literally the only place I could find the hub. It's out of stock everywhere else. I'm afraid it's out of stock for them too and they just don't reflect that on their site (or amazon.)

EDIT: I placed the order on amazon on 11/27.
I purchased a few items from them through amazon and they arrive quickly.
Old 04-06-18, 02:05 PM
Chukbacca

Bikes: 1988 Univega Alpina Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You should also seek money back from your teachers and whatever spell checking app you use. You've obviously been defrauded there as well!
Old 04-07-18, 06:26 AM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Yungavalanche80
hey i just ordered tube simple huh? Not really..wasa pix an an ad for 20x1.75 continental tube w sharader valve ,easy not these guys i got a 20x1.9 to 20x2.5--' emailef them30× times(they said)(what you ordered you recieved 30+ times) am i stupid or are they crooks.and using false advertizement on the web isnt that illegal.i just joined to tell whoever us hraring me..NIGARA CYCLCE OF NEW YORK ARE LEGAL CROOKS ..THERE SHOULD BE LAWS FOR THEIR MISSREPERTATION OF WHAT THEY SHOW ONLINE AND WHAT STUPID PEOPLE RECIEVE YES ALL OVER 2 DAMM TUBES 20 LOUSY DOLLARS MY 20X1.75 TUBRS SHOULD BR HERE BY MONDAY STAY TUNED PLEASE....
'Don't sweat petty stuff, and don't pet sweaty ...

Old 07-02-18, 04:34 PM
reidconti
Carbon compliance tester

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty cool, seems like if you post a critical review of their store, you get dumped on here. Nice.

I'll await mine. Ordered 2 parts with huge amounts in stock (chainring and crank tool), paid for priority mail, both items listed as ship within 2-3 days, still "waiting fulfillment" 6 days later... no response to my inquiry last week.

We'll see how it goes, reviews elsewhere look pretty bad too.
Old 07-05-18, 08:15 AM
jazzfreek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went to Niagra

I visited the stores to pick something up they had listed as being in stock. They didn't have it and told me it would take a couple of days to get it from their warehouse, which is not local, apparently. So to they really have a warehouse somewhere, or are they ordering the part after you buy it from them ? Just seems strange that they would have a warehouse perhaps in another state. The staff, (one guy) was helpful and they had a pretty good selection of bike stuff but not huge. I would say the store is medium sized, I've seen larger and smaller. I would do business with them happily until something negative happens. Bike parts seems like a tough business, I was surprised to see a whole thread about this company, not sure it's deserving of that so I decided to relate my recent experience.
Old 07-07-18, 11:58 AM
reidconti
Carbon compliance tester

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it's obviously a legitimate business but they're either simultaneously running a scam (skimming off the orders people don't bother to cancel), or just utterly incompetent. Again, caveat emptor, I should have checked the reviews first.

10 days after placing my "in stock, ships in 2-3 days" order and paying extra for priority mail, it's still "awaiting fulfillment". And of course, they took my money already.

Since they didn't respond to my email a week ago, I'm not thrilled about my chances of hearing back about my cancellation any time soon, either.
Old 07-11-18, 09:10 AM
reidconti
Carbon compliance tester

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to close the loop, last followup.

They never replied to my request to cancel my order.

Finally, 13 days after I placed the order, they informed me one of my "in stock, ships in 2-3 days items" would not be available so they were going to refund me that amount and ship the rest that day. Despite my request to cancel.

So I asked again to cancel the whole order as originally requested.

They refunded me $3.75 for one small item, not the whole order amount.

I went back and forth with CS several times, with screenshots from PayPal showing in my account the refunded amount is clearly less than the order amount.

The reply I got? "I have checked the Niagara Cycle account again this morning and I assure you that you have been refunded the entire amount of your order. "

These people are either criminals or criminally incompetent. I've never seen a business this badly run, and whether or not they intend to rip people off, it was clear to me as my order extended into week 2 that they must receive a not-insignificant chunk of their revenue from people who simply give up trying to deal with them. At the end of the day it doesn't much matter to me if they intend to rip people off, because they clearly end up dealing dishonestly in one way or another.

PayPal dispute filed; lesson learned to always use a credit card. 99.9% of the time I do, but this time... whoops, my bad.
Old 07-15-18, 10:41 PM
Patriot1 
Retired loving & Life!

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I made on order with Niagra Cycle, never again.

Old 07-16-18, 07:08 AM
jazzfreek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the warning!

Yep, this please doesn't sound great. Will stay away, thanks for the warning !
Old 07-26-18, 12:01 PM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 159 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I think they website has serious problems. I've been ordering from Niagra for many years...excellent. Until a few weeks ago...everything on my wish list was "out of stock". This is very strange. At around same time, I also received an email from Niagra saying they experiencing problems with internet orders going missing. I sent 'em an email, but got no response. In the past, they' were always prompt to reply.

I think something is happening. Perhaps...they're about to going out of business or they lost their source for parts.

Niagara has excellent website. They offered massive selection...and well made website to find stuff.

It's too bad if they're going away...I hope not...I hope the problems are just temporary.
I stopped at the retail store in Niagara Falls, NY today and found it closed at noon. Signs in the window stated "the retail store is now closed but internet orders can be picked up ( ring bell for service)" or words to that effect.
Hope it is temporary.
Old 08-08-18, 10:17 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Their website is now down for maintenance. After reading this and other reviews, it looks like an ominous sign.

The good with them is that they have a lot of parts on their website and I like the wish list and filters. The bad, well, look at the reviews. Both here and other places like Yelp.
Old 08-09-18, 09:14 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I suspect that they're out of stock and out of cash, they're done for good. Their Amazon front has no items listed, and a recent drastic increase in failed delivery (same as the Yelp).

There is a hazard when a business model gets too heavy in drop-shipping or re-shipping product, purchasing it only after the customer orders - getting behind in the cash flow, and that snowballs. There are a few clues, that that's what happened.
Old 08-10-18, 03:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I suspect that they're out of stock and out of cash, they're done for good. Their Amazon front has no items listed, and a recent drastic increase in failed delivery (same as the Yelp).

There is a hazard when a business model gets too heavy in drop-shipping or re-shipping product, purchasing it only after the customer orders - getting behind in the cash flow, and that snowballs. There are a few clues, that that's what happened.
I suspect you're right. I didn't like their business model and their lies. They said the shipments were delayed because your order was in their "other warehouse" which meant their supplier. It was deceitful. Low prices, crappy web site, unreliable and slow service. No thanks.

Other posts here list some good companies. Lately, I've dealt with biketiresdirect, and it's pretty darned good. I'm also patronizing my local bike shops a lot lately.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-12-18, 08:12 AM
oldbikenewbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I just resign myself to expecting an extra 2-5 days wait whenever I order from Niagara. I've never had a problem with the orders though, they just take longer to ship than you'd expect.
I agree. You'll eventually get your order. Good prices, but it takes quite a long time...even to return a concern about shipping. Maybe I'll just check ebay the next time I need something.
Old 08-14-18, 09:27 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbikenewbike
I agree. You'll eventually get your order. Good prices, but it takes quite a long time...even to return a concern about shipping. Maybe I'll just check ebay the next time I need something.
ebay has some excellent stores. I miss the days of non-businesses selling most of the stuff there, but I'm glad there are so many good businesses.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.