Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chinese/Taiwanese carbon frame DIY builders #2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chinese/Taiwanese carbon frame DIY builders #2

Old 08-01-16, 02:15 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Call me crazy, but I am pretty sure there used to be a -066 in 58 cm. Could this mean something about the lifetime of this item in the product line? Just wondering. Anyway, CafeVelo why not email them and ask about it. They are very responsive considering the time difference.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-01-16, 02:17 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

I am a long way away from my bike right now (2300 miles), but I am pretty sure the dropouts were carbon. Someone else correct me if I am wrong.

EDIT: The site photo looks like alloy. I dunno. On the photo of my frame, they look like carbon. Gotta ask the Workswell folks.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 08-01-16 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-01-16, 02:23 PM
CafeVelo

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I am a long way away from my bike right now (2300 miles), but I am pretty sure the dropouts were carbon. Someone else correct me if I am wrong.

EDIT: The site photo looks like alloy. I dunno. On the photo of my frame, they look like carbon. Gotta ask the Workswell folks.
That's what I thought, but they look alloy on the page, and there's no 58 now..

I did contact workswell and am waiting to hear back
Old 08-01-16, 02:32 PM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry about that. For some reason I was confusing dropouts with the derailleur hanger. The dropouts are carbon.

Last edited by aubiecat; 08-01-16 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-01-16, 02:37 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I couldn't agree more with the good things that have been mentioned already. I'm really liking my frame immensely. It is stiff, light (849gr for a 56), efficient, and looks awesome. I was told by WW that the frame comes with a matte clear coat. I get compliments all the time.

I have had a couple of minor things and only one of them was the frames fault. My frame seemed to have had a bulkhead in the BB shell that restricted my access to the DS chainstay. There was a hole for the cable, but not really feasible. So I just drilled one and done. Easy.

This one isn't the frames fault, but I've had some rubbing on my NDS chainstay from my 25mm GP 4000's, but it's because I later discovered that my rear wheel isn't dished correctly. So that being said, make sure that your wheel is dished and you can run 25's no prob. My rims are also 24mm wide which contributes to the extra width. When centered properly I have about 2-3mm on each side of the tires at the chainstays (which still isn't a lot).

You'll be happy with it as many others have. You can't been the value for the price.
Old 08-01-16, 02:42 PM
CafeVelo

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigPoser
I couldn't agree more with the good things that have been mentioned already. I'm really liking my frame immensely. It is stiff, light (849gr for a 56), efficient, and looks awesome. I was told by WW that the frame comes with a matte clear coat. I get compliments all the time.

I have had a couple of minor things and only one of them was the frames fault. My frame seemed to have had a bulkhead in the BB shell that restricted my access to the DS chainstay. There was a hole for the cable, but not really feasible. So I just drilled one and done. Easy.

This one isn't the frames fault, but I've had some rubbing on my NDS chainstay from my 25mm GP 4000's, but it's because I later discovered that my rear wheel isn't dished correctly. So that being said, make sure that your wheel is dished and you can run 25's no prob. My rims are also 24mm wide which contributes to the extra width. When centered properly I have about 2-3mm on each side of the tires at the chainstays (which still isn't a lot).

You'll be happy with it as many others have. You can't been the value for the price.
Could you measure the actual width and height of your mounted tire?
Old 08-01-16, 02:49 PM
BigPoser

Originally Posted by CafeVelo
Could you measure the actual width and height of your mounted tire?

I can certainly do that when I get home. Be around 5-5:30 PT.
Old 08-01-16, 02:50 PM
CafeVelo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by aubiecat
Sorry about that. For some reason I was confusing that with the derailleur hanger. The dropouts are carbon.
Fork and frame, or just frame, or just fork? Sorry to be so particular but my primary reasons to get a new bike is building a weight weenie bike for a hill climb race this fall and because I don't want alloy in my frame (except for rivnuts for bottles and other necessary hardware, but I don't want alloy dropouts, headset races, or bottom bracket shells, nothing bonded that can separate or fatigue loose.
Old 08-01-16, 02:57 PM
rpenmanparker 

Fork and frame, or just frame, or just fork? Sorry to be so particular but my primary reasons to get a new bike is building a weight weenie bike for a hill climb race this fall and because I don't want alloy in my frame (except for rivnuts for bottles and other necessary hardware, but I don't want alloy dropouts, headset races, or bottom bracket shells, nothing bonded that can separate or fatigue loose.
Definitely no alloy in the head tube and bottom bracket shell. I recall both front and rear dropouts are carbon.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-01-16, 04:21 PM
CafeVelo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Definitely no alloy in the head tube and bottom bracket shell. I recall both front and rear dropouts are carbon.
Great news. At your convenience can you confirm carbon dropouts?
Old 08-01-16, 04:22 PM
CafeVelo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can certainly do that when I get home. Be around 5-5:30 PT.
Awesome, thanks.
Old 08-01-16, 04:24 PM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check the photos I added to the post above. Looking at the bike right now and there are no embedded alloy parts on this frame.
Old 08-01-16, 04:37 PM
CafeVelo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry about that. For some reason I was confusing dropouts with the derailleur hanger. The dropouts are carbon.

Great pictures, thanks. I guess the images on WW website show the dense UD fibers, which can appear gray and look like alloy.
Old 08-01-16, 04:38 PM
CafeVelo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check the photos I added to the post above. Looking at the bike right now and there are no embedded alloy parts on this frame.
Awesome. If there's a 58 out there it will be very hard for me to keep my money where it belongs.
Old 08-01-16, 05:27 PM
rpenmanparker 

Great news. At your convenience can you confirm carbon dropouts?
I don't mind, but it will take a few weeks.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-01-16, 06:25 PM
clubber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Awesome. If there's a 58 out there it will be very hard for me to keep my money where it belongs.
I've been emailing Iris @ Workswell every day for the last 4 days and would be more that happy to inquire about a 58cm frame for you.

I just spoke with her yesterday to finalize my shipping details on my 066 frame which should have shipped out today...WHOOHOO! I just got my wheels in this afternoon so I just need somewhere to hang them.
Old 08-01-16, 07:26 PM
CafeVelo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by clubber
I've been emailing Iris @ Workswell every day for the last 4 days and would be more that happy to inquire about a 58cm frame for you.

I just spoke with her yesterday to finalize my shipping details on my 066 frame which should have shipped out today...WHOOHOO! I just got my wheels in this afternoon so I just need somewhere to hang them.
What's the current going rate with shipping?
Old 08-01-16, 07:53 PM
clubber

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
What's the current going rate with shipping?
For me it was $487 shipped to Northern Virginia. There aren't many who are as smooth talking as I am but after talking with her for a a few days she threw in a couple of extra derailleur hangers. The frame includes forks, seatpost, bottom bracket (choice of BB30 or BBRight) and headset. As I said before I will be in touch with Iris tomorrow morning and will ask her about a 58cm frame.

Tbh, she has been a true pleasure to work with and very responsive to email.
Old 08-01-16, 07:56 PM
BigPoser

Awesome, thanks.
Cafe,

My 25mm GP4000's are 27.49mm on my H + Son Archetype hoops. For reference they are 23mm wide.

I measured 32.48mm width between the chainstays which is only 4.99mm of total clearance.

As long as your rear wheel stays true and dished, you're good.

Mine of course wasn't and rubbed a nice little mark on my NDS.

Oh and my cost was $449 shipped to CA and that included all that Clubber mentioned. Took 6 days to get it once I got my shipping notice and tracking number.
Old 08-01-16, 08:40 PM
rpenmanparker 

For me it was $487 shipped to Northern Virginia. There aren't many who are as smooth talking as I am but after talking with her for a a few days she threw in a couple of extra derailleur hangers. The frame includes forks, seatpost, bottom bracket (choice of BB30 or BBRight) and headset. As I said before I will be in touch with Iris tomorrow morning and will ask her about a 58cm frame.

Tbh, she has been a true pleasure to work with and very responsive to email.
To my knowledge there is no BB30 option on the Workswell -066. Only BBright. The frame is clearly a dead ringer for the Cervelo R3/5 and Cervelo only comes in BBright.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-01-16, 08:52 PM
clubber

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
To my knowledge there is no BB30 option on the Workswell -066. Only BBright. The frame is clearly a dead ringer for the Cervelo R3/5 and Cervelo only comes in BBright.
Well someone needs to have a chat with Iris @ Workswell b/c the last thing she asked me yesterday morning was " BUT here is one question:
WCB-R-066 frame Bottom bracket has 2 kind: first is BB right, second is BB30 , so which BB do you prefer ?"

I chose the BBRight to have a back-up b/c I already have the WheelsMfg BBright-out-1 sitting on my workbench
Old 08-01-16, 09:22 PM
CafeVelo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cafe,

My 25mm GP4000's are 27.49mm on my H + Son Archetype hoops. For reference they are 23mm wide.

I measured 32.48mm width between the chainstays which is only 4.99mm of total clearance.

As long as your rear wheel stays true and dished, you're good.

Mine of course wasn't and rubbed a nice little mark on my NDS.

Oh and my cost was $449 shipped to CA and that included all that Clubber mentioned. Took 6 days to get it once I got my shipping notice and tracking number.
That's great. I like a big tire in winter for extra grip on perpetually wet roads. If only a 58 was available.
Old 08-02-16, 07:14 AM
rpenmanparker 

Well someone needs to have a chat with Iris @ Workswell b/c the last thing she asked me yesterday morning was " BUT here is one question:
WCB-R-066 frame Bottom bracket has 2 kind: first is BB right, second is BB30 , so which BB do you prefer ?"

I chose the BBRight to have a back-up b/c I already have the WheelsMfg BBright-out-1 sitting on my workbench
I can't answer for her, but the difference between BB30 and BCA is only in the diameter of the opening and the absence/presence of the threads. But BBright features an assymetric shell offset to the NDS. I don't think you could easily have a BBright version and a BB30 version. I have never seen BB30 offered in any advertisement on ebay, Alibaba, or the Workswell site for the -066 model. I think she is fairly new and may be confused.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-02-16, 09:32 AM
CafeVelo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How long does it usually take to hear back? I sent workswell an email yesterday and have yet to get a reply?
Old 08-02-16, 09:47 AM
BigPoser

How long does it usually take to hear back? I sent workswell an email yesterday and have yet to get a reply?
About a day. They are basically opposite of us for time. I would email in the evening and sometimes get something back before bed as they were just getting into work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.