Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Orfos Flarepro bike light, good or bad?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 04-29-17, 01:39 AM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

https://www.orfos.us/collections/flarepro

Their web page makes it sound wunderful. Is this true?

It does not come with a battery, and does not give run times.

Any thoughts?

Are there any other amber colored lights out there? I would like to get a light the same color as a car blinker

Last edited by chrisx; 04-29-17 at 01:49 AM.
Old 04-30-17, 04:50 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx

Any thoughts?

Are there any other amber colored lights out there? I would like to get a light the same color as a car blinker
I have the original flare which was self contained and works great. The separate light and battery is a nonstarter for me. I don't want extra doodads to have to velcro to my bike frame.

As best I can tell, the original is no longer offered which is a shame. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Dinotte makes an amber light and I believe they have a self contained version.

J.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 05-08-17 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-05-17, 06:27 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I'm guessing run times will depend on your pack choice; 2 cell, 4 cell, etc. And mah rating of the battery pack.

Cage mounted amber side light:
Bottle Blinky
Old 05-05-17, 06:49 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Oops, my bad. Seems that these new Orfos don't run on traditional 18650 based packs.
But on USB plug power banks. There are run times stated towards the middle of this page:
https://www.orfos.us/pages/flarepro
Old 05-07-17, 01:01 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Oops, my bad. Seems that these new Orfos don't run on traditional 18650 based packs.
But on USB plug power banks. There are run times stated towards the middle of this page:
https://www.orfos.us/pages/flarepro
Actually a lot of USB power banks are using standard 18650 cells. The only difference being the bank batteries are connected in parallel ( rather than series ) and are using a regulator circuit to control output current and voltage.

The real problem might be making sure the power bank you have has an output current suitable for the OrfosPro. I don't see it mentioned anywhere on the Orfos website what the required input current is in order to attain maximum output of the lamp. A lot of small or cheaper battery banks only output 1A but some of the better made ones are outputting 2A. Looking over the offerings of the Anker brand of battery banks on Amazon, Anker has a couple small two cells that look to output 2A. If I were buy an Orfos Pro I'd go with a battery offering 2 amps of output ( just to be on the safe side ).
Old 05-07-17, 07:13 PM
1Coopgt

Bikes: Mongoose Reform Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx

Any thoughts?

Way to much money for what you are getting. Also you would blind everyone coming at you . The light isn't focused so it scatters everywhere. Last thing you want is to blind cars coming at you . They will turn on their high beams which could blind you and if a car were to pass you in your lane as a car comes from the opposite direction it could possibly cause an accident if the on coming car were to flash their high beam . Just my opinion for what its worth.
Old 05-07-17, 08:18 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt
Way to much money for what you are getting. Also you would blind everyone coming at you . The light isn't focused so it scatters everywhere. Last thing you want is to blind cars coming at you . They will turn on their high beams which could blind you and if a car were to pass you in your lane as a car comes from the opposite direction it could possibly cause an accident if the on coming car were to flash their high beam . Just my opinion for what its worth.
I believe the lamp has different modes so you don't have to run the full 400 lumen output if you feel it's too bright. Keep in mind the full output would be more appropriate when the sun is still quite visible. Personally I don't think it would blind people who are passing in cars but it could be looked at as an annoyance if stopped at a light ( with the lamp set on high ). This is why I wish lamps with this much output offered wireless remotes so you could tone them down when at traffic lights.

For a lamp offering 400 lumen of bright/wide output, I don't think the $75 pre-order price is over-kill. If you compare it to other high output rear lamps like the DiNotte Quad Red, the quad red is $160 and is only 200 lumen. My Cygolite Hotshot Pro 150 ( last year when first released ) was about $50. If you look at the array of other higher output lamps out there I don't think you would still consider the Orfos Pro over priced.

Keep in mind the rules for "What's too bright for road use", is being rewritten everyday. More and more I'm seeing cars, buses, emergency vehicles...using more brighter LED type lamps ( front and rear ). Most of those are way brighter than what most people will use on a bike. Truth is, in a handful of more years you will need at least a 100 lumen rear lamp just to get noticed. The people who use those pitiful weak rear lamps might as well leave the damn things home. No one can even see one of those now unless you ride in the boonies.

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 05-07-17 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-08-17, 01:52 AM
TXSS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
I believe the lamp has different modes so you don't have to run the full 400 lumen output if you feel it's too bright. Keep in mind the full output would be more appropriate when the sun is still quite visible. Personally I don't think it would blind people who are passing in cars but it could be looked at as an annoyance if stopped at a light ( with the lamp set on high ). This is why I wish lamps with this much output offered wireless remotes so you could tone them down when at traffic lights.

For a lamp offering 400 lumen of bright/wide output, I don't think the $75 pre-order price is over-kill. If you compare it to other high output rear lamps like the DiNotte Quad Red, the quad red is $160 and is only 200 lumen. My Cygolite Hotshot Pro 150 ( last year when first released ) was about $50. If you look at the array of other higher output lamps out there I don't think you would still consider the Orfos Pro over priced.

Keep in mind the rules for "What's too bright for road use", is being rewritten everyday. More and more I'm seeing cars, buses, emergency vehicles...using more brighter LED type lamps ( front and rear ). Most of those are way brighter than what most people will use on a bike. Truth is, in a handful of more years you will need at least a 100 lumen rear lamp just to get noticed. The people who use those pitiful weak rear lamps might as well leave the damn things home. No one can even see one of those now unless you ride in the boonies.
I think it is worth pointing out that this is 400 lumens from 40 LEDs, no reflector and no real lens. I think I'd opt for 100 lumens from 1 LED that has a reflector and lens to make sure the light is traveling a good distance behind me.
Old 05-08-17, 11:57 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TXSS
I think it is worth pointing out that this is 400 lumens from 40 LEDs, no reflector and no real lens. I think I'd opt for 100 lumens from 1 LED that has a reflector and lens to make sure the light is traveling a good distance behind me.
I'm inclined to agree with you. I very much like my Cygolite Hotshot 150 Pro which does exactly as you said. Regardless a lamp like the Orfos has it uses as it would be much more visible at higher off-set angles. This would make it more useful once a vehicle is closer to the bike. Still, we're talking about a lamp with a much higher output. I'm sure that when in a mode 200 lm or greater that the Orfos is going to be very visible at distance.
Old 10-30-17, 07:29 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I have the original flare which was self contained and works great. The separate light and battery is a nonstarter for me. I don't want extra doodads to have to velcro to my bike frame.

As best I can tell, the original is no longer offered which is a shame. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Dinotte makes an amber light and I believe they have a self contained version.

J.
I have the original flare too and I love it. I went to get another only to find heyu now make only the new wacky thing with detatched battery packs. The new version is a non-starter for me too but I live the oriinal. I'll have to watch for one to come up used on eBay now.

They only offered the original for less than a year I think. Too bad. It was crazy expensive, but it was the best available.
Old 10-31-17, 07:51 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
These guys collected $110K on Kickstarter and this is all they could come up with? It is hardly revolutionary to stack a bunch of LEDs in a row and encase them in a clear silicone coating. From the previous discussion it seems that the light is expensive. I couldn't find a price on their website and it is out of stock for now.

The 5V USB power source means Orfos has to use a buck converter to power it with a single 18650 battery and that must suck some energy out of the battery pack and make the electronics more costly. BTW, most flat batteries are lithium polymer, similar to but not exactly the same as the round Li-ion batteries. I bought a couple of bike lights that work with the four cell Li-ion battery packs and quit using them because dealing with securing a separate battery and the dangling cord was a hassle.
Old 10-31-17, 08:57 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with you. I very much like my Cygolite Hotshot 150 Pro which does exactly as you said. Regardless a lamp like the Orfos has it uses as it would be much more visible at higher off-set angles. This would make it more useful once a vehicle is closer to the bike. Still, we're talking about a lamp with a much higher output. I'm sure that when in a mode 200 lm or greater that the Orfos is going to be very visible at distance.
The Orfos needs a usb power bank battery and cable. That's an interesting idea for backpackers that might be bringing a power bank to recharge a phone, etc. The wide flood light would work great for this, if you could dial it way down in brightness.

It's unfocused headlight won't be too great at speeds much over 15 mph, either.

Yes -- for a tail light, the Hotshot 150 has a lot of advantages over this Orfos light: (see my review here.)
1. self contained, easy to mount on the bike.
2. waterproof! a usb system wouldn't be waterproof.
3. directed light beam -- for daylight use, even in sunlight. The 150 has a pretty wide beam, lighting up a 4 lane road at maybe 70 feet back. And the 180 degree spill light is bright for cars closer than that. It makes a bright pool of red light on the road, too.
4. reasonably long run times: at least 15 hours at 2-per-second single flash -- very noticeable in daytime. USB rechargable.
5. always on the bike, ready if needed.

Last edited by rm -rf; 10-31-17 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-31-17, 05:42 PM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Runtime of Orfos Flare Pro

The real problem might be making sure the power bank you have has an output current suitable for the OrfosPro.
I don't see it mentioned anywhere on the Orfos website what the required input current is in order to attain maximum output of the lamp.
A lot of small or cheaper battery banks only output 1A but some of the better made ones are outputting 2A.
Looking over the offerings of the Anker brand of battery banks on Amazon, Anker has a couple small two cells that look to output 2A.
If I were buy an Orfos Pro I'd go with a battery offering 2 amps of output ( just to be on the safe side ).
If you work with the runtime numbers by oros, you get an power of 3,8W at 400lm. That around 1,32A.
Most powerbanks since 2015 have at least one 2A output port. Current models have ore often even QC/PD.

I think it is worth pointing out that this is 400 lumens from 40 LEDs, no reflector and no real lens.
I think I'd opt for 100 lumens from 1 LED that has a reflector and lens to make sure the light is traveling a good distance behind me.
The build length of the Orfos Flare Pro offers the big advantage to make distance calculation possible and easy for incoming traffic. That's an important feature which most single LED lacks.

Originally Posted by rm -rf
Yes -- for a tail light, the Hotshot 150 has a lot of advantages over this Orfos light: (see my review here.)
2. waterproof! a usb system wouldn't be waterproof.
4. reasonably long run times: at least 15 hours at 2-per-second single flash -- very noticeable in daytime. USB rechargable.
2. Did you test the Hotshot 150 to be waterproof and how deep?
Orfos Flare Pro is fully waterproof besides the USB plug. And usually the powerbank would be stored in some kind of frame bag where no weather/rain influence would be present.
So splash proof with frame bag is all you need.
4. With an 10.000mAh powerbank the Orfos Flare Pro will run around 25h at level 5 (139lm). 50% longer runtime than the Hotshot 150. No recharging needed, just plug it into another USB power source (another powerbank or dynamo hub USB power source).
Review of USB battery box Thrunite C2
bumm.de/en/products/stromversorgung.html
shop.supernova-design.com/shop/product/supernova-the-plug-29

Last edited by angerdan; 11-01-17 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-31-17, 07:03 PM
JohnJ80

I don't think the Flare Pro is really aimed at the cycling market. I'm not sure I entirely understand where it does work well but it sure isn't cycling.

Their original product was well designed and works great. I'm surprised they didn't keep making it. That's a loss, IMO.

J.
Old 11-01-17, 08:08 AM
angerdan

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The first Orfos Flare was for bicycles and the secons one claims to be too.
Interesting to read about the first Orfos here in the forum too.
cnet.com/news/orfos-creates-a-force-field-of-light-around-your-bike/
bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/1012752-orfos-flare-throw-distance.html
Old 11-01-17, 02:30 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by angerdan
The first Orfos Flare was for bicycles and the secons one claims to be too.
Interesting to read about the first Orfos here in the forum too.
cnet.com/news/orfos-creates-a-force-field-of-light-around-your-bike/
bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/1012752-orfos-flare-throw-distance.html
Yeah, I know he's marketing the Flare Pro as a bike light but bike tail lights and external batteries are kind of a 5 year ago thing. There are some absolutely tiny 200 lumen tail lights out now that are all one piece and have great run times. They show this flare pro in their videos as a runner's light - that makes sense to me. Another great application might be camping or other places where you need almost a lantern type of light. But I do feel that cycling as a target market is a miss for this product.

J.
Old 11-01-17, 03:06 PM
angerdan

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Currently there's a lack of bright, large area tail lights with runtime >5h.
So separating battery and LED is a easy and cheap way to get high brightness and long runtime.

For everone who don't want this, there are plenty of other tail lights.
And the RedZone 8 with 12h runtime at 30lm.
niteflux.com/buy/red-zone-8/
Old 11-21-17, 03:54 PM
PK_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a flare pro and don't mind the external battery. To me it future proofs it as batteries die and I can just buy a new usb pack instead of spending alot of money on new LEDS that last forever.
Old 04-01-18, 08:37 PM
thebellmont

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven’t seen much reviews on these and I wanted to share my experience:

I have used white and red flare pro for about 9 months now mostly for short city commutes. For the white flare pro, I used an Anker 5000mAh cylinder battery in a zippered triangle pouch that sits on my top tube. For my red flare pro, I kept it velcro'd to my backpack and then I had a larger flatter battery pack that just lived in the front pocket of my backpack.

Couple cons:
-the constant velcroing on and off of the front white light gets annoying with a daily commute, the Velcro straps provided often would get caught in the Velcro from the triangle pouch (sometimes necessitating both the pouch and the lights coming off at the end of my commute (instead of just the lights)) or the provided Velcro just vanishes (falls off somewhere) because it’s not permenatly attached to the back of the light. Squatting down next to my headtube to make sure the Velcro is lining up each time I want to use my white lights kinda sucks (but is necessary or else one end of the light may become loose a few minutes into my ride).
-no on/off button; when I bought the lights I thought this wouldn’t annoy me but until I could locate the battery pack in my pouch or backpack I would often blind myself/roommates
-with the white light attached onto the head tube I sometimes got momentarily blinded when looking directly down; (I have thought about designing a little duct tape hood for this looking down purpose but then again it’s symmetrical light meant to bleed out on the sides) I learned to run the white light weaker and be more predictive/look further ahead on the road
- the rubberized nubs (buttons) have flaked off/shaved off twice under my normal use within a six month period
Positives: responsive customer service (was able to return the lights with defective buttons), I can pick and choose the size and which battery I use, and I defiantly see more shadows/dimensionality to what I see ahead of myself when compared to my old cat eye light.

I could refine my mounting system. I wonder about jerry-rigging a plastic quick release system (like the type you’d see on a camera tripod or traditional handle bar mounted light) to my head tube with zipties and then tightly zip tie the male part to the back of the white light.

I agree with other posters though, maybe someone who mountain bikes or night runs on rooty trails would love this light but in the city and for a commute it’s a bit of overkill.

Last edited by thebellmont; 04-01-18 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-15-18, 02:26 PM
KingOfTheHill

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I ended up ordering an amber flare pro to supplement my hotshot 150. I tried a few different ways for mounting the light and battery and finally settled on on that I think works best.

I first tried attaching the light to my seat post, then just above the brake and then on the seat stays but wasn't quite happy. I'm fortunate to have a 2 cell battery from a Serfas TSL T-1000 light that can strap to the frame or seat post and has a built in USB outlet. In the end, I wasn't thrilled with this because it wasn't clean/elegant enough.

I ended up with a Timbuk2 saddle bag in size small, but the one with a blinky strap that runs end to end horizontally along the back. The bag and strap are large enough to velcro the light to the strap and hold three one cell batteries or a 2 cell PNY 5,200mAh battery, while taking into consideration the extra bag length needed to accommodate not only the battery but the light's plug when connected to the battery. When I'm done riding, I simply take the bag off. I do wish the light had an on/off switch but it's not too much of a hassle opening the bag and unplugging. Besides, the battery has to be recharged so would have to come out of the bag either way.

I've been very pleased with how much extra respect has been given by drivers when I run this light at dusk and night, and I only run it at 30% brightness. I don't use it during the day though.
Old 06-23-18, 06:20 AM
angerdan

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Anyone received an amber FlarePro?
I didn't receive an answer asking for availability and they aren't available in the shop.
If someone has a copy to sell, please PM me.
Old 08-19-18, 02:40 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Pictures?

Originally Posted by KingOfTheHill
I ended up ordering an amber flare pro to supplement my hotshot 150. I tried a few different ways for mounting the light and battery and finally settled on on that I think works best.

I first tried attaching the light to my seat post, then just above the brake and then on the seat stays but wasn't quite happy. I'm fortunate to have a 2 cell battery from a Serfas TSL T-1000 light that can strap to the frame or seat post and has a built in USB outlet. In the end, I wasn't thrilled with this because it wasn't clean/elegant enough.

I ended up with a Timbuk2 saddle bag in size small, but the one with a blinky strap that runs end to end horizontally along the back. The bag and strap are large enough to velcro the light to the strap and hold three one cell batteries or a 2 cell PNY 5,200mAh battery, while taking into consideration the extra bag length needed to accommodate not only the battery but the light's plug when connected to the battery. When I'm done riding, I simply take the bag off. I do wish the light had an on/off switch but it's not too much of a hassle opening the bag and unplugging. Besides, the battery has to be recharged so would have to come out of the bag either way.

I've been very pleased with how much extra respect has been given by drivers when I run this light at dusk and night, and I only run it at 30% brightness. I don't use it during the day though.
do you have any pictures of your bag/ battery set up?
Trying to figure out how to mount the lights on on my bike.
Old 08-19-18, 04:06 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I first saw this and replied (#11) over 9 months ago. At that time it wasn't possible to find the price for the light but now it is easier. The amber model is listed "on sale" at $79 which is $40 off the regular price of $119. Of course it is unavailable everywhere - sold out - according to the Orfos website. In fact, all of the Pro models are unavailable and listed as sold out. You can buy a pair, front and rear, for only $229 if they weren't made of unobtanium. Reading the post above makes me wonder why the company couldn't come up with a better mounting method than a velcro strap. There are too many reasonably priced bike lights for me to ever consider buying one of these.
Old 08-21-18, 07:35 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

i have a pair of lights that I am attempting to mount to my bike. I remember why i went away from the light with a battery pack to an all in one cygolite expilion. much easier to mount. i wish they have continued or offered a way to add a battery the new light.
Old 08-26-18, 04:59 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Spent way too long

I spent way too long this morning trying to mount these lights on my bike. I’m not gonna be able to use them because I’m not sure how to mount them with the battery that stays waterproof. Either I don’t have the right battery but looks terrible.

Pretty dumb I bought the hype and now I’m so disappointed wa$ted my money on lights I can’t mount without looking ghetto or being in the way of my stuff.

Terrible design.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.