Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Wahoo Element Mini

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-17, 10:31 PM
lightbulbjim
U*icyclist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
By the way, something else I noticed. Prior to getting the Mini I was using a Sigma BC 8.12 with a magnetic wheel sensor. I did some testing with the Sigma and Mini together, and with the same wheel size configured in both the Mini would consistently read 1-2 km/h faster than the Sigma. This was the case even in phone-free mode, so it's not just a matter of GPS vs wheel sensing. Mystery
Old 08-22-17, 10:15 AM
KH0456

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim
By the way, something else I noticed. Prior to getting the Mini I was using a Sigma BC 8.12 with a magnetic wheel sensor. I did some testing with the Sigma and Mini together, and with the same wheel size configured in both the Mini would consistently read 1-2 km/h faster than the Sigma. This was the case even in phone-free mode, so it's not just a matter of GPS vs wheel sensing. Mystery
Funny thing is I had the exact model Sigma on my bike (now on my wifes....) and found the same thing. Speed was a bit different as well as distance. Not by much.....

But I'm going to assume the Mini is the one that's more accurate.... I suppose because that's what I want to be the case.
I've wanted to have someone ride in a car with me along side to see how the speed was.
Old 08-22-17, 10:25 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by KH0456
Funny thing is I had the exact model Sigma on my bike (now on my wifes....) and found the same thing. Speed was a bit different as well as distance. Not by much.....

But I'm going to assume the Mini is the one that's more accurate.... I suppose because that's what I want to be the case.
I've wanted to have someone ride in a car with me along side to see how the speed was.
I have an Edge 25 that I never use so today I'll slap it on the bike with the Mini to compare. The Mini echos the 'after the ride' average speed that I see on my Bolt though.
Old 08-22-17, 03:48 PM
raqball

Rode today with the Mini and the Edge 25. The Edge 25 has the cleaner track when viewing the route especially downtown amongst the tall buildings.

Both had the same distance give or take and well within GPS tolerances. The Mini had slightly slower average spped. I believe this is due to auto pause. On the Edge it's almost instant as are the speed changes. On the Mini, there is a 3-5 second lag for auto pause to kick in and the speed changes are also slightly delayed.

I cycle in the city so auto pause plays a large roll in my stats as I am slowing and stopping at lights frequently. Today's ride had the following average speeds:

Edge 25: 14.9
Wahoo Mini: 14.0

I am not really all that concerned though as average speed is not important to me.
Old 08-25-17, 11:13 AM
raqball

The Wahoo app for Android updated yesterday and auto uploading now works.
Old 08-26-17, 06:36 PM
daytonmark

Bikes: Giant Defy3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does anyone know if the apple watch HR monitor will work with the mini?
Old 08-26-17, 10:58 PM
lightbulbjim
U*icyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is anybody else finding that your Mini sometimes doesn't like connecting to your phone? The last two times I've gone to ride it hasn't connected for me. Opening the app (which is already running in the background) doesn't help. Killing the app and restarting it seems to do the trick.

I'm using iOS with background app refresh enabled for the Elemnt app. Plus I never actually kill it anyway unless I'm troubleshooting issues like this.

This is sounding worryingly like the connection problems people used to complain about with the Rflkt. Sometimes I think I should have just bought a Bolt instead of a Mini, but then I'd probably be annoyed at having another thing to keep charged .
Old 08-27-17, 10:27 AM
raqball

Originally Posted by daytonmark
does anyone know if the apple watch HR monitor will work with the mini?
I do not believe that it will. As far as I know, only Wahoo sesnors work with the Mini.

Is anybody else finding that your Mini sometimes doesn't like connecting to your phone? The last two times I've gone to ride it hasn't connected for me. Opening the app (which is already running in the background) doesn't help. Killing the app and restarting it seems to do the trick.
No issues with mine connecting to the phone. I am using Android
Old 08-27-17, 02:17 PM
xdimax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've bought an Elemnt Mini lately and tried it out for the first time today. I used phone mode to track my route. While riding I used pause mode several times when I was having a rest. When I ended my ride I synchronised it with Elemnt App. In this application all the data was correct. But when I tried to export it to Strava App I noticed that the data was different. Strava included all of my stops and changed my distance, active time and average speed.
Old 08-27-17, 02:28 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts

I'm using iOS with background app refresh enabled for the Elemnt app. Plus I never actually kill it anyway unless I'm troubleshooting issues like this.

This is sounding worryingly like the connection problems people used to complain about with the Rflkt. Sometimes I think I should have just bought a Bolt instead of a Mini, but then I'd probably be annoyed at having another thing to keep charged .
The same thing happens to me on occasion with my Bolt. I have noticed that turning on the Bolt before opening the app is when I seem to get this problem. I picked up my Bolt this past Monday and I absolutely love everything this thing does and how it does it. However, I don't think Wahoo really put too much of a thinking process in the way they developed their software.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-27-17, 03:35 PM
lightbulbjim
U*icyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by John_V
The same thing happens to me on occasion with my Bolt. I have noticed that turning on the Bolt before opening the app is when I seem to get this problem. I picked up my Bolt this past Monday and I absolutely love everything this thing does and how it does it. However, I don't think Wahoo really put too much of a thinking process in the way they developed their software.
At least with the Bolt all you lose is live tracking if there’s no phone.

I will note that I haven’t had the Bluetooth connection drop while riding. It seems to be purely related to the phone app going to sleep.
Old 08-27-17, 04:29 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
At least with the Bolt all you lose is live tracking if there’s no phone.

I will note that I haven’t had the Bluetooth connection drop while riding. It seems to be purely related to the phone app going to sleep.
I've used the Bolt about 3 weeks now, haven't had any BT issues that I know about. Of course nothing really uses BT on a typical ride, except live tracking (as noted above) and it's not one of the metrics I have on the screen, so like my Garmin, I would likely not know if BT dropped out unless I had trouble saving a ride or trying do get a route to the device. So far so good.
Old 08-27-17, 08:05 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by xdimax
I've bought an Elemnt Mini lately and tried it out for the first time today. I used phone mode to track my route. While riding I used pause mode several times when I was having a rest. When I ended my ride I synchronised it with Elemnt App. In this application all the data was correct. But when I tried to export it to Strava App I noticed that the data was different. Strava included all of my stops and changed my distance, active time and average speed.
Strava will do that with data from any computer. If there is gps data strava calculates distance, speed, stopped time, etc based on the gps points and ignores whatever calculations your computer comes up with, which could be off for a number of reasons.
Old 08-27-17, 10:36 PM
daytonmark

Bikes: Giant Defy3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Originally Posted by raqball
I do not believe that it will. As far as I know, only Wahoo sesnors work with the Mini.
Thanks. Was trying to avoid having too many electronic things to carry on the ride... watch, phone, computer, HR Sensor, spare charger for phone, front light, spare batteries for front light, digital meat thermometer to measure when I am overdone...
Old 08-28-17, 12:36 AM
xdimax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Strava will do that with data from any computer. If there is gps data strava calculates distance, speed, stopped time, etc based on the gps points and ignores whatever calculations your computer comes up with, which could be off for a number of reasons.
This is very bad, the average speed in ELEMNT is 30.2, and in Strava 19. There is no sense in exporting a workout
Old 08-28-17, 08:00 AM
ksryder

This is very bad, the average speed in ELEMNT is 30.2, and in Strava 19. There is no sense in exporting a workout
MPH or KM? Very few people are average 30 mph on a bike. My guess is that your wheel circumference is input in the Wahoo incorrectly.
Old 08-28-17, 08:42 AM
xdimax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
MPH or KM? Very few people are average 30 mph on a bike. My guess is that your wheel circumference is input in the Wahoo incorrectly.
Average speed in ELEMNT App is 30.2KM/H. Also active time in ELEMNT is 1:12:21 but after sharing in Strava time 2:11:05.

Screenshots: dropbox.com/s/70a3kwgrc51y01t/IMG_1862.png?dl=0

Last edited by xdimax; 08-28-17 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-28-17, 09:00 AM
ksryder

Average speed in ELEMNT App is 30.2KM/H. Also active time in ELEMNT is 1:12:21 but after sharing in Strava time 2:11:05.

Screenshots: dropbox.com/s/70a3kwgrc51y01t/IMG_1862.png?dl=0
Huh. That is weird. The only thing I can think of is that the Wahoo GPS data is coming from your phone, not the bike computer, and if the phone is in your pocket you might be moving around enough during your stops that the GPS points look like you're still moving, so when the activity gets uploaded to Strava it calculates your average speed based on an overall moving time of 2:11 instead of 1:12.

But that's just a guess; if that's not the case you might need to email Wahoo and/or Strava support.
Old 08-28-17, 09:56 PM
lightbulbjim
U*icyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, the Elemnt iOS app was updated earlier today. Live tracking is now working again but my last ride was not automatically uploaded to Strava. Sigh.
Old 08-31-17, 07:24 AM
Dreaded1

Bikes: 03 Marin Bear Valley, 1999 GT ZR2000, Raleigh M80(converted to single speed), 2017 Masi Gran Corsa disc.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Bolt and often ride with another that has one. Frequently his will show a greater total distance than mine does. I have mine setup for autocalculating the wheel size, and when I set his up I put in the wheel size. When we upload to Strava it gives us the same total distance which is almost identical to mine. I think on our next ride I will change the settings on his Bolt to auto cal.
Old 09-01-17, 09:19 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I know that you posted this a few days ago, but just to let you know, this is normal. Strava ignores pretty much everything from the GPS except the raw location data, so stop detection are done using Strava's algorithm, rather than when the device think's you're stopped. Kind of a shame really because stop detection on the ELEMNT using the Wahoo Speed is way more accurate than figuring it out from GPS position alone.
Old 10-12-17, 04:14 PM
lightbulbjim
U*icyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, just when I was about ready to pitch this thing into the river lo and behold there's a new firmware update:

ELEMNT MINI 1.3.3 - 10 October 2017
  • Fixed crash that could occur during a workout
  • Fixed issue preventing some workouts from syncing with companion app
  • Increase font size of notifications
  • Increase incoming call notification timeout to 30 seconds
  • Minor UI revisions
I'll be interested to see if this fixes the two problems I'm having:
  1. Not connecting to my phone without fiddling about restarting the app and rebooting the Mini
  2. Not syncing phone-free rides

Based on the changelog I'm hopeful that the second one has been addressed.

I did notice one new bug already: it doesn't seem possible to disable automatic upload. You can switch it off, but next time the Mini powers on it is enabled again.
Old 10-15-17, 11:48 PM
BigC_82

Bikes: 2003 Raleigh M40, 2015 Raleigh RX 2.0, 2017 Kinesis Tripster A/T

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
After reading these pages of the pro and cons, I believe this good computer for my mom who wants basic computer.
Old 10-23-17, 11:16 AM
KH0456

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigC_82
After reading these pages of the pro and cons, I believe this good computer for my mom who wants basic computer.
I started this thread and have been using my Mini since.... I think your Mom will like it. I'm enjoying mine. It works just the way I wanted a computer to work. Its not a GPS but does interact with my phone to track and record my ride.
Over all for me its perfect.
Old 10-29-17, 02:17 PM
PortlandEddie

Bikes: Fuji cross

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmmmm ( subscribed ) I've seen the pro and cons and I'm intrigued. If a black friday sale happens i will get it for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.