Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Being Able to Bike to Work Makes People Happy

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Being Able to Bike to Work Makes People Happy

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-18, 05:25 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155

it seems to me i faithfulky followed the request you always say isn’t followed. I quoted the whole subject i was responding to. All the we nevers and you don’t remember anyone saying are included in the post i faithfully quoted. Since that didn’t seem to make a difference maybe if I highlight them in bold next time? Or can we despense with the pretense that the quote to the individual matters? Remember it is the person i was responding to that believes “You”. Make too much for a sustainable world.

I was objecting to the word "many", as in "many of [us]" seem to want a Utopia where we can graze all day like cows, with the implication thay there are a bunch of us who are like-minded and don't want to work. Yet you were really addressing one person, tandempower. And even he isn't proposing not working. He does have an idealistic notion that people would be happier if they (or actually we) were less materialistic, although he also advocates for more manual labour, so he's not proposing we all go on permant vacation.

Last edited by cooker; 05-27-18 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-27-18, 05:51 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
I was objecting to the word "many", as in "many of [us]" seem to want a Utopia where we can graze all day like cows, with the implication thay there are a bunch of us who are like-minded and don't want to work. Yet you were really addressing one person, tandempower. And even he isn't proposing not working. He does have an idealistic notion that people would be happier if they (or actually we) were less materialistic, although he also advocates for more manual labour, so he's not proposing we all go on permant vacation.
i don’t think you can show me a quote where he believes getting a raise is a good thing. I do believe i just quoted where he believes we would be in Utopia where we all made less and yet can afford all we want. And i can show by number of people commuting by bike that there are fewer that believe like he does and more that don’t. So please show me where there are more minimalist that would be us.

Dude even your own family does’t follow his idea of Utopia.
Old 05-27-18, 06:03 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

i don’t think you can show me a quote where he believes getting a raise is a good thing. I do believe i just quoted where he believes we would be in Utopia where we all made less and yet can afford all we want. And i can show by number of people commuting by bike that there are fewer that believe like he does and more that don’t. So please show me where there are more minimalist that would be us.

Dude even your own family does’t follow his idea of Utopia.
So are we in agreement that you were addressing one utopian person, and not, as you said, "many of you"?

Last edited by cooker; 05-27-18 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-27-18, 06:38 PM
Mobile 155

So are we in agreement that you were addressing one utopian person, and not, as you said, "many of you"?
i can agree. I should gave used many of “Your” rather than you as if he had a following, but i thought by adressing a specific quote it was understood. That being said when he bemoans choices people make and condems those that decide on convienience and financial stability as picking a dysopian life he is talking about a lot of wives and family of people in this forum. I dare say not many would care to broach their willing rejection of his utopia to their spouse who drives to work do you? Not if you accuse them of moving towards a dysopian future because they haven’t thought through their choices.

Yes these discussions can and often are shared with non forum friends and family. Sometimes word for word.

Last edited by Mobile 155; 05-27-18 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-27-18, 07:44 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

i can agree. I should gave used many of “Your” rather than you as if he had a following, but i thought by adressing a specific quote it was understood. That being said when he bemoans choices people make and condems those that decide on convienience and financial stability as picking a dysopian life he is talking about a lot of wives and family of people in this forum. I dare say not many would care to broach their willing rejection of his utopia to their spouse who drives to work do you? Not if you accuse them of moving towards a dysopian future because they haven’t thought through their choices.

Yes these discussions can and often are shared with non forum friends and family. Sometimes word for word.
Okay, I see now it was probably a typo in your post:" I read "Many you" as "many of you" when it was supposed to be "many of your"
Old 05-27-18, 08:42 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
did you ever stop to question if your perception of a utopia is so far off from the norm that you might be one of the very few that sees a minimal life as utopia? That view would depress the same group you don’t seem to understand.
You're overcomplicating what I'm saying. All I said was that if there is some utopian situation that would be achieved in practice, where people were happy and everything was affordable or even free (let's assume), then there would still be those who prefer to have a dystopia where there is competition to escape misery by making and spending more money. E.g. if there was some kind of automotive society where cars and gas were free and no one had to work because everything was automated, there would still be people who preferred to have a rat race where some people had to work in the non-automated economy to buy their way into the automation-liberation society. They would withhold the free cars and make people sell the cars to make money to spend on housing in the liberated areas. This is because people just don't buy into the idea that they can have economic security with less spending and making of money. It just doesn't register that if there is total abundance and automation that people could be totally free from economic management and burden. Humans like controlling each other, having status hierarchies, etc.; even if they serve no practical purpose. If they were economically liberated from the need for them in some way, many people would still look for ways to get people to borrow and spend money so that they could use the money to control others who (believe) they need it. It's a very strange aspect of human nature/culture.

So you may be right that if these bikeable, diverse areas were abundant and therefore cheap, people would seek out areas where sprawl necessitates driving in order to make money so that they could have a way of competing economically and gaining social status for things like social standing, services, and other privileges. They might even call it utopia and call it dystopia to liberate everyone from the bondage of economic management/obligation. Humans are peculiar in this way. They often ignore how the privilege of some creates burden for others. They just hope to avoid the short end of the stick without wanting to alleviate that burden for others.

Last edited by tandempower; 05-27-18 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-27-18, 09:07 PM
tandempower

I will take a stab at trying to explain the system to you in terms you are more familiar with. You are a big movie fan that seems to believe they reflect reality or a reality you can see. Look back on H.G. Wells and the time machine. The Eloi seem to live in your view of utopia. Stuff just shows up for the taking and everyone can take what they need will minimum effort. However in reality things aren't free they are getting taken care of by the Morlocks who simply require a few of them every so often. Once the few are gone everyone goes back to taking what they need and forgets those few that are sacrificed. But you might say it could still be utopia if the Eloi simply got rid of or ignored the Morlocks. But alas once the Morlocks ability to control the Eloi is destroyed the Time traveler goes back to get some books to retrain the newly freed Eloi on how to provide for themselves. In other words they will have to learn to work and trade labor for other labor and food. And some labor is worth more than other labor and some people are willing to put in extra labor to save for a rainy day.

To many you idea of Utopia sounds like a dairy farm. The cows get to roam most of the day and the only work they are doing in eating. Still all of that equality has a cost, they have to give milk and now and then produce a calf. It turns out this Bovine utopia isn't utopia at all. The time will come when the whistle blows and dairy owner takes a few of the cows and hauls them through the door, never to be seen again. Life verses reality. No one said it was easy. But that is why no many see your Utopia like you do. They have tasted reality and would rather not meet the Morlocks.

I hope the rest of the group forgives me this chasing of the rabbit down the rabbit hole. It seems worth a try.
I agree with you. Anytime there is something that seems potentially utopian, you should avoid accepting it uncritically because there is always some dystopian side-effect waiting down the line. This is as true of the automotive utopianism of the 20th century as it is for any other utopia, and we are currently gaining awareness of those negative byproducts of automotive culture. Obviously I wouldn't want to run ahead full-steam with some reform that would lead to worse consequences than the automotive culture itself. So far, I don't see the problem, however, because all I am really hoping for is less cars and driving by more people choosing alternative modes, more pavement being replaced with trees/ecology, etc. Basically I would just like to see the automotive population rolled back to the time when there was still hope for keeping suburbs green and walkable/bikeable because only some people drove and many if not most trips were taken by walking/bike/bus/train instead.

Obviously if I was talking about some kind of radical new society/economy the question would be what potential negative side effects would be. What you're doing, however, is to take the general fact that utopianism always has negative, unforeseen side-effects and applying that in an uncritical way to demonizing anything you dislike. You need to focus on more concrete analysis of specific effects that would be caused by specific projects. Your criticism of density is something I can validate, for example. When you put more people into a smaller area, they often interact more and get into more conflicts. But what you fail to do is go further and analyze how lower density areas avert those urban problems. If you did that, you could think about ways to make denser/urban areas better to live in. I do this by thinking about things like how people are more polite and religiosity is often stronger in rural areas, for example. I think that if urban people would value and respect religiosity more, for example, there would be less hostility and conflict. This is just an example, which is probably not good to discuss outside of P&R, but I say it to suggest to you that you should look at the things you think make certain areas better to live in and think of ways to transplant those cultural assets to the denser/urban areas you dislike. That doesn't mean you would necessarily want to live in denser areas, but at least you would be using your mind in a positive way instead of just reacting against density as some kind of cancer that must be stopped at all costs.
Old 05-27-18, 09:43 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by tandempower
You're overcomplicating what I'm saying. All I said was that if there is some utopian situation that would be achieved in practice, where people were happy and everything was affordable or even free (let's assume), then there would still be those who prefer to have a dystopia where there is competition to escape misery by making and spending more money. E.g. if there was some kind of automotive society where cars and gas were free and no one had to work because everything was automated, there would still be people who preferred to have a rat race where some people had to work in the non-automated economy to buy their way into the automation-liberation society. They would withhold the free cars and make people sell the cars to make money to spend on housing in the liberated areas. This is because people just don't buy into the idea that they can have economic security with less spending and making of money. It just doesn't register that if there is total abundance and automation that people could be totally free from economic management and burden. Humans like controlling each other, having status hierarchies, etc.; even if they serve no practical purpose. If they were economically liberated from the need for them in some way, many people would still look for ways to get people to borrow and spend money so that they could use the money to control others who (believe) they need it. It's a very strange aspect of human nature/culture.

So you may be right that if these bikeable, diverse areas were abundant and therefore cheap, people would seek out areas where sprawl necessitates driving in order to make money so that they could have a way of competing economically and gaining social status for things like social standing, services, and other privileges. They might even call it utopia and call it dystopia to liberate everyone from the bondage of economic management/obligation. Humans are peculiar in this way. They often ignore how the privilege of some creates burden for others. They just hope to avoid the short end of the stick without wanting to alleviate that burden for others.
I knew I was wasting my time. You don't understand a thing about human development and other peoples struggles to survive in a money-less or money limited barter economy. Even squirrels and ants know enough to work hard in time of plenty to have in times of need. And you can tell when you are in the woods which ones are successful and which ones are not. Action and reward seem to be one of the few things people understand. If I do A I will want to receive B for it.

What you posted as Utopia was tried. Here is a synapse of how our country started. See how it looks compared to your post. https://www.forbes.com/sites/jerrybo.../#3a00df7a6dfe

Now look at countries where people live as you suggest and ask why aren't happy. They would be happy if they had enough to see their children live to adulthood.

By the way I have thought about why large populations of dense living humans tend to have more crime per capita. It is something Maeloch mentioned earlier that I wanted to explore. Tribalism, Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland and even New Orleans can only seem to grow so large till a form of tribalism attaches itself to the population. When I first came to this forum it was expressed as a war between dense urban tribes and Suburban tribes. Ford was just elected in Toronto and there was a whole tirade on those evil Suburbanites voting him in and disturbing the advancement in cycling infrastructure for the urban dwellers. Today they count the Suburban people in their urban sphere but I am willing to bet there is still some tribalism there.

Last edited by Mobile 155; 05-27-18 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-27-18, 10:07 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
I knew I was wasting my time.
You have been previously warned about wasting electrons. Not to worry though, sometimes I ignore my own advice and pick at the same scab, despite my knowledge that nothing useful would be the result.
Old 05-27-18, 10:29 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You have been previously warned about wasting electrons. Not to worry though, sometimes I ignore my own advice and pick at the same scab, despite my knowledge that nothing useful would be the result.
Mea Culpa

I have several scabs.
Old 05-27-18, 10:33 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
We can't waste electrons, electricity is our SERVANT.

Old 05-28-18, 06:12 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

By the way I have thought about why large populations of dense living humans tend to have more crime per capita. It is something Maeloch mentioned earlier that I wanted to explore. Tribalism, Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland and even New Orleans can only seem to grow so large till a form of tribalism attaches itself to the population. When I first came to this forum it was expressed as a war between dense urban tribes and Suburban tribes. Ford was just elected in Toronto and there was a whole tirade on those evil Suburbanites voting him in and disturbing the advancement in cycling infrastructure for the urban dwellers. Today they count the Suburban people in their urban sphere but I am willing to bet there is still some tribalism there.
Sorry to have misread your earlier post.

I think the data linking density to crime is sketchier than the data linking walkability/bikeability to wellbeing. Oakland has more murders than San Francisco, and New York is safer than Waco so there must be more powerful factors at work than density.

BTW, Rob's brother Doug Ford is now running for Ontario Premier (akin to Governor).
Old 05-28-18, 07:54 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I can see that you've evolved to focus on the more likely outcomes of our current challenges in managing the population of seven+ billion humans.
Old 05-28-18, 09:02 AM
tandempower

I knew I was wasting my time. You don't understand a thing about human development and other peoples struggles to survive in a money-less or money limited barter economy. Even squirrels and ants know enough to work hard in time of plenty to have in times of need. And you can tell when you are in the woods which ones are successful and which ones are not. Action and reward seem to be one of the few things people understand. If I do A I will want to receive B for it.
Yes, squirrels bury nuts, some of which sprout into new trees (assuming the soil is healthy enough to support them and the new saplings don't get mowed). I've never said anything about limiting economics to bartering, etc. You misunderstand my simple view that bustle can be reduced without being eliminated, which is as true for economic bustle as automotive bustle.

What you posted as Utopia was tried. Here is a synapse of how our country started. See how it looks compared to your post. https://www.forbes.com/sites/jerrybowyer/2011/11/23/occupy-plymouth-colony-how-a-failed-commune-led-to-thanksgiving/#3a00df7a6dfe
Yes I understand that the pilgrims shifted from communal farming to trading their produce as commodities. I don't know why you think I'm against market economics. I think you accuse me of communism to discredit me. All I am for is simply being able to reduce economic burden to create more free time by doing things more efficiently. Riding a bike instead of driving means spending less time and money paying for your vehicle, using and shipping less parts, burning no fuel, using less pavement/lane-space, etc.. Biking is just more efficient in so many ways. LCF doesn't eliminate market economics; it just reduces the burden/pressure of making and spending more money/time/resources than necessary on transportation and infrastructure.

Now I ask you why you ignore the automotive utopianism of the 20th century and the negative side-effects that came from that? When you accuse me of utopianism, do you deny that automotive culture was a utopia that was blindly pursued to the point of sprawling cities, enormous highways, long commutes, massive congestion, pollution, dependency, etc. etc.? Do you think that the utopians who seeded the automotive culture expected it to grow out of control? Ford expected people to have more free time and freedom to pursue independent personal development as a result of industrial mass-production. Do you think industrialism has risen to that challenge of liberating people's time for other pursuits besides making and spending money?

Yes, it is counterintuitive that modernization would bring with it an intensification of collectivism in the form of tribalism, corporatism, etc. This is not just an urban problem, however. Homeowners' associations, for example, lord over residents in some suburban subdivisions, people conform to various types of cultural norms and standards instead of making independent choices free of concern for social-inclusion, etc. Automotive culture is a form of tribalism, where people choose a certain make and model of car as their 'economic war paint,' signifying their identity and their expectations about their ability to make payments.
Old 05-28-18, 09:04 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Walter S
I can see that you've evolved to focus on the more likely outcomes of our current challenges in managing the population of seven+ billion humans.
I've evolved to realizing it is important to see why there is a trend toward failure in order to evolve beyond that trend, if that's what you mean.
Old 05-28-18, 01:20 PM
Mobile 155

Sorry to have misread your earlier post.

I think the data linking density to crime is sketchier than the data linking walkability/bikeability to wellbeing. Oakland has more murders than San Francisco, and New York is safer than Waco so there must be more powerful factors at work than density.

BTW, Rob's brother Doug Ford is now running for Ontario Premier (akin to Governor).
i have Forbes and Bookings in my news feed and I ran into this which, sans my feelings about heat islands , shows how I view much of the conditions on cities in the US. Not 100 percent but close.
https://www.brookings.edu/articles/are-europes-cities-better/

Old 05-28-18, 01:41 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

i have Forbes and Bookings in my news feed and I ran into this which, sans my feelings about heat islands , shows how I view much of the conditions on cities in the US. Not 100 percent but close.
https://www.brookings.edu/articles/a...cities-better/

I agree with a lot of what that article says. Policies shape urban form. Change the policies, change the form. The federal gov't essentially subsidize(d/s) suburban mortgages and freeways and not urban school and public transit, so you get sprawl as a result. The air can be bad in Manhattan because people outside Manhattan drive too much. etc.
Old 05-28-18, 03:45 PM
Mobile 155

I agree with a lot of what that article says. Policies shape urban form. Change the policies, change the form. The federal gov't essentially subsidize(d/s) suburban mortgages and freeways and not urban school and public transit, so you get sprawl as a result. The air can be bad in Manhattan because people outside Manhattan drive too much. etc.
how about your take on crime according to the report? Or the quality of schools? Or the real distinction between suburban life and urban life even if they merge the two for statistical reasons?

how about their take on how sprawl comes even faster than growth.

It all all comes back to what the people want and in a Democratic Republic you get what the people vote for. I also noted that many assumptions about the virtues of European Cities may not be worth the cost

” in the As research by Helen Ladd of Duke University has shown, the costs of delivering services in high-density settlements frequently increase, not decrease.”

I simply don’t see Americans wanting to be like Europeans. Brexit shows England didn’t as well. My opinion may differ from yours.
Old 05-28-18, 04:24 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

The federal gov't essentially subsidize(d/s) suburban mortgages and freeways and not urban school and public transit, so you get sprawl as a result. The air can be bad in Manhattan because people outside Manhattan drive too much. etc.
You sure about the lack of Federal Government subsidies for urban schools and public transport?
Are you also sure that none of the traffic and/or "bad air" is the result of supporting the commerce, utilities, lifestyle, transit and activities of the people who live and work in Manhattan?
Old 05-28-18, 10:02 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

It all all comes back to what the people want and in a Democratic Republic you get what the people vote for.
I wish that were true!

More responses to follow.

Last edited by cooker; 05-30-18 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-28-18, 10:04 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

You sure about the lack of Federal Government subsidies for urban schools and public transport?
Are you also sure that none of the traffic and/or "bad air" is the result of supporting the commerce, utilities, lifestyle, transit and activities of the people who live and work in Manhattan?
Take it up with the Brookings Institution - I was citing some of the stuff in that article.
Old 05-29-18, 06:52 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Take it up with the Brookings Institution - I was citing some of the stuff in that article.
Care to provide a URL for the "stuff" you are "citing" or are you interpreting the "stuff" to fit your own beliefs?
Old 05-29-18, 11:27 AM
tandempower

how about your take on crime according to the report? Or the quality of schools? Or the real distinction between suburban life and urban life even if they merge the two for statistical reasons?

how about their take on how sprawl comes even faster than growth.

It all all comes back to what the people want and in a Democratic Republic you get what the people vote for. I also noted that many assumptions about the virtues of European Cities may not be worth the cost

” in the As research by Helen Ladd of Duke University has shown, the costs of delivering services in high-density settlements frequently increase, not decrease.”

I simply don’t see Americans wanting to be like Europeans. Brexit shows England didn’t as well. My opinion may differ from yours.
People realize that sprawl and environmental harm come from widespread personal automobile reliance and driving in general, but they are just too caught up in the immediacy of the rat race and the present moment to make the sacrifices required to LCF. Many if not most could visit an undeveloped area that is threatened with development and wish that less people drove if that would protect the area from development, but they don't want to take the initiative to be one of those people because they are afraid of falling behind in the rat race.

Plus, when you consider that the more people would give up driving, the better driving would become for the people who don't; there is an incentive to holding out and hoping others will give up driving before you do or so you don't have to.
Old 05-29-18, 11:36 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Care to provide a URL for the "stuff" you are "citing" or are you interpreting the "stuff" to fit your own beliefs?
From Mobile 155, post 91: https://www.brookings.edu/articles/a...cities-better/
Old 05-29-18, 11:58 AM
Mobile 155

People realize that sprawl and environmental harm come from widespread personal automobile reliance and driving in general, but they are just too caught up in the immediacy of the rat race and the present moment to make the sacrifices required to LCF. Many if not most could visit an undeveloped area that is threatened with development and wish that less people drove if that would protect the area from development, but they don't want to take the initiative to be one of those people because they are afraid of falling behind in the rat race.

Plus, when you consider that the more people would give up driving, the better driving would become for the people who don't; there is an incentive to holding out and hoping others will give up driving before you do or so you don't have to.
Sounds like retoric, opinion and speculation not based on any research on why people do what they do.

I have posted research that indicates just why people have moved out and sprawled even before personal vehicles. So your speculation lake foundation.

Read the book, Roads were not built for cars, by Carlton Reed. Lots of pertinate information with this very subject.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.