Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cervelo R5 rim vs disc

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cervelo R5 rim vs disc

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-18, 03:20 PM
cshong88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cervelo R5 rim vs disc

Hi guys, would appreciate some third party input to help me decide on this next purchase. Cat 1, former UCI conti pro who has been a loyal Cervelo R5 rider for the past 5 years. In the market for a new Cervelo R5 and now having to consider for the first time whether or not to purchase a disc brake bike as this was never an option before. Some riding habits about myself.

1. Current/lifetime job (medicine) means 80% of riding is indoors on my Wahoo Kickr
2. Performance-oriented - goals of riding/training are still to go fast and if job permits, compete in local races and hill climbs in next couple years - as such wheel compatilibity in races (neutral support etc) is a factor for me. As a side note, I've been reading the rear 142mm axle is fast becoming the standard for discs. Supposedly the Cervelo R5 disc is a 135mm standard? Is this true? And if so, will this cause issues if I had a disc version for races?
3. Hard to predict but I'd like to have a bike that is in keeping with the times, both now and in the next couple years. Would be a bummer to invest in a rim bike and see the pro peloton and racing scene transition to disc brakes full time in the next year or so.

Ultimately, I anticipate buying another bike in 3-4 years but I want my next purchase to be performance oriented and in line with the standards of contemporary bike racing now and for the next few years. I know it's a hotly debated topic but any thoughts on rim vs disc for my situation? Thanks for all input, much appreciated.
Old 06-29-18, 03:36 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by cshong88
Supposedly the Cervelo R5 disc is a 135mm standard? Is this true? And if so, will this cause issues if I had a disc version for races?
Where did you see this? A 142TA is 135mm between the dropouts, just like a QR. I'd be stunned if the R5d rear weren't 142TA. I'm quite sure the R3d was 142TA when I looked.
Old 06-29-18, 03:43 PM
mikeyp

Bikes: Tarmac Pro SL-6, Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc, Open U.P., Cervelo R3-SL, Guru Photon HL, EAI Bare Knuckle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also race, and spend 25% of my time on a Kickr. I switched to disc road this year, but due to all the maintenance / rubbing associated with them, I've gone back to a rim brake bike. Disc brakes stop awesome, I just don't think road disc is quite there yet. In 2-3 years maybe? But for now I would go rim.
Old 06-29-18, 03:52 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I think road disc is "there" but then I ride a C3.

@OP, do you have any specific wheels in mind? Do you have the opportunity to test ride both versions of the bike?
Old 06-29-18, 03:57 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Sadly - if you want to be able to find top end parts for it in 8 years then go disc.

Stabdards, after 8 or 9 years of screwing around are now starting to settle on 12mm TA front and 12x142 rear on road and cross. I’d be shocked if they were a 135 qr.

you can get adapter thru-axles that will allow you to use any trainer out there. Some of the newer trainers have TA specific mounts. Won’t be a problem.

only one I have found is a problem at the moment is the Mavic Speed Release system that Mavic is pushing and ENVE is using because they are owned by the same parent company.
Old 06-29-18, 03:59 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
it doesn't matter if its 142 through axle or 135QR in the rear. it will work just as good. You will probably have less problems with a regular qr.
135QR was the MTB standard for like 30 years. All disc hubs are available in this width and configuration.

3: there is no bike that is keeping up with the mad hacks who design them unfortunately...

most recent bike inventions and standards bring absolutely nothing that is actually "better" than the older standards, its just different. thinking about 10 different kinds of BB standards compared to the BSA threaded that are all worse than the BSA. 142/148/150/boost etc rear dropouts. tapered/conical headtubes. internal cabling.
postmount/direct mount disc mounts instead of ISO. I could go on...

And all these new standards will be obsolete as soon as they can invent something new to sell.

Regarding the discs. Yes discs are better (imo).
first: you dont wear out the rims.
second: you can get rims with other profiles since they dont have to have a machined brake track on them.
third: the disc are not 30mm from the ground and therefore dont get wet/dirty as easily.
fourth: you can put on everything from 200mm to 140mm discs to get the power you need or want.
fifth: avoid sram/avid hydros like the plague.
sixth: there are mechanical discs too. and when you get problems with hydros it can take several hours to solve, with mechanicals there is only a cable, how hard can that be to fix/adjust/setup? Personally I gave up on hydros about 4-5 years ago. too much of a hassle.

Very few people that try discs go back to rim brakes. Rim brakes can still be completely satisfactory though depending on what you demand from your brakes.

I think the best thing would to try before you buy.
Old 06-29-18, 04:11 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I love rim brakes, in three decades I never crashed because my brakes were too weak. But now I have a bike with hyd discs and I'll never buy another new bike without them. Like you I wanted a bike completely modern and up to date. Mine don't have rotor rub, they don't squeal, complete silence. I don't notice the brakes until I use them, and then they're obviously more powerful. The best thing about the feel is the level pull is so smooth because there's no friction as with with cables/housing. Wheel changes don't take me any longer with thru axles. I had a gravel bike with mechanical discs and skewers and I would usually have to take some extra time to get the rotor centered between the pads, but with TA's it's not an issue.
Old 06-29-18, 04:21 PM
carlos danger

I think the rotor rub is overblown. You just need to know how to set them up. The easiest way is to slip a business card beween the disc and pads, then gradually tighten both bolts in an alternate fashion until done. Thats usually everything thats needed. Both magura and hope and i guess shimano has videos on how to do this properly. there must be hundreds of vids on this. Sure they are for mtbs but it works exactly the same. Pistons should also be lubed and cleaned from time to time so they dont get sticky.
Old 06-29-18, 04:33 PM
carlos danger

this one for example
Old 06-29-18, 04:44 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
There's nothing like riding past a P5-X with its brakes shrieking.
Old 06-29-18, 04:52 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by cshong88

3. Hard to predict but I'd like to have a bike that is in keeping with the times, both now and in the next couple years. Would be a bummer to invest in a rim bike and see the pro peloton and racing scene transition to disc brakes full time in the next year or so.

I definitely don't see that happening, especially in the next year or two. There are only 2-3 racers around here I've noticed on discs, and most people aren't buying new bikes every other year.

Personally, I won't be going to discs for the forseeable future, and likely never.

Also, trainer compatibility with discs? I guess that's a thing. Roof racks, too? So many additional pita details with discs for me,
Old 06-29-18, 04:54 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by carlos danger
I think the rotor rub is overblown. You just need to know how to set them up. The easiest way is to slip a business card beween the disc and pads, then gradually tighten both bolts in an alternate fashion until done. Thats usually everything thats needed.
Until you switch wheels?
Old 06-29-18, 04:57 PM
carlos danger

sometimes yes.

sometimes until the weather gets warmer and the fluid expands
Old 06-29-18, 05:48 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Until you switch wheels?
You take 10 seconds to loosen the caliper, squeeze the brake lever and retighten.
Old 06-29-18, 06:04 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by Lazyass
You take 10 seconds to loosen the caliper, squeeze the brake lever and retighten.
Yeah, sounds great. I bet that's super fun in a race.
Old 06-29-18, 06:15 PM
Lazyass

Yeah, sounds great. I bet that's super fun in a race.
I wasn't aware we were talking about racing on a team that has a support vehicle with spare wheels different from the ones being removed. What team are you on?
Old 06-29-18, 06:18 PM
rubiksoval

I wasn't aware we were talking about racing on a team that has a support vehicle with spare wheels different from the ones being removed. What team are you on?
We're not. We're talking about people that race, period. Which should make the above stop even better, seeing as how most people don't have matching spare wheels.
Old 06-29-18, 06:27 PM
Lazyass

We're not. We're talking about people that race, period. Which should make the above stop even better, seeing as how most people don't have matching spare wheels.
With your experience, how bad is the rotor rub issue when switching wheels in a race that come off a neutral support vehicle?
Old 06-29-18, 06:36 PM
rubiksoval

With your experience, how bad is the rotor rub issue when switching wheels in a race that come off a neutral support vehicle?
I'm not sure what you're reading. What neutral service vehicle are you talking about? Most races have wheel trucks you put your own wheels in. And I don't use discs, hence the initial query about what happens when you change wheels.

According to you, you take out a tool and adjust them so they dont rub.

Last edited by rubiksoval; 06-29-18 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-29-18, 07:24 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
According to you, you take out a tool and adjust them so they dont rub.
If they're your wheels, shim the rotor on one or the other so that they align and you won't have any rub when swapping. Hell, if you stick to CenterLock hubs, you probably don't even need to bother with that. Hydro also seems to give you a bit more leeway.
Old 06-29-18, 07:34 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by WhyFi
If they're your wheels, shim the rotor on one or the other so that they align and you won't have any rub when swapping. Hell, if you stick to CenterLock hubs, you probably don't even need to bother with that. Hydro also seems to give you a bit more leeway.
Pretty sure I read a post in the 33 from the Psimet guy that said he can't even get wheels of the same make and model to fit without rubbing without adjusting things, regardless of shim use and all.

But if that's becoming a nonissue with newer tech, that's a good thing.
Old 06-29-18, 08:30 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Pretty sure I read a post in the 33 from the Psimet guy that said he can't even get wheels of the same make and model to fit without rubbing without adjusting things, regardless of shim use and all.

But if that's becoming a nonissue with newer tech, that's a good thing.
He's also a guy that's usually speaking from the perspective of servicing a fleet of racers. I'm sure that the difficulty goes up exponentially with additional bikes and wheels. A single rider servicing a couple of their own bikes and a few wheelsets? Might take a little time to work it out, but shouldn't be too tough. Neither of my bikes has a rotor alignment problem with a shared third wheelset (I do have to swap out the hub end caps and 140mm/160mm rear rotors, but that's a different story).
Old 06-30-18, 05:07 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
OP,
Tough call. Many bring their personal bias into the buying decision. I also believe it really depends on the racing venues you plan...are they mostly flat or do you plan on a fair amount of climbing and high speed descending.

Probably the most authoritative response to listen to is that of Psimet...who is a wheel builder and sees shift in trend more than we do. Fast guys I ride with are mostly on rim brakes...just about all of them. I believe you will still see a lot of rim brakes in this year's TdF coming up in a week and probably more disc brakes in the peloton as well as disc brake bikes become more prevalent.

I don't really buy into next 5 years owning a rim brake bike is going to be an issue with finding parts. Next 10 years things will likely change but so too maybe rotors, spacing and related bike design elements could you, me and others to want the next best thing.

Can go either way and why many leading manufactures offer both...like say another bike you could race competitively...like uber light Emonda SLR...or you could ride a Tarmac S-works that is offered in rim and disc.

Good luck with your racing. I am sure you will be fine with either choice. Probably a jump ball what you decide right now.
Old 06-30-18, 06:12 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm also looking at an R5, or maybe an Argon 18 and am considering a build in the spring 2019.

I don't race and won't have spare wheels. Even so, the frame will be the classic version, not disk. I say this after having built a Niner RLT 9 RDO with flat mount hydraulic disks in the spring of 2017 and a fixed gear bike with Dura Ace 9100 rim brakes this past year.

Hydraulic disk is extra maintenance compared to rim brakes. Centering calipers is easy enough and people are free to work on them any way they want but the bolts should really be torqued and there are safety clips which go on the bolts. There are people who don't bother with the safety clips on the bolts and don't torque the bolts but that isn't me. Messing with caliper bolts away from a shop would be an emergency repair as far as I'm concerned.

The fact that the R5d uses flat mount is a plus however.

-Tim-
Old 06-30-18, 06:40 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Hydraulic disk is extra maintenance compared to rim brakes. Centering calipers is easy enough and people are free to work on them any way they want but the bolts should really be torqued and there are safety clips which go on the bolts. There are people who don't bother with the safety clips on the bolts and don't torque the bolts but that isn't me. Messing with caliper bolts away from a shop would be an emergency repair as far as I'm concerned.
The bolts that mount the caliper to the mounting bracket have the fixing pins. The bolts that attach the bracket to the fork/chainstay don't have clips, and those are the ones you would loosen if you need to center the pads. And you only have to loosen them like a half turn, squeeze the lever, retighten. If you've already torqued the bolts just remember how much you loosen them so you can tighten them back the same amount. It's a non-issue. And I don't know what this extra maintenance is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.