Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback
Reload this Page >

Blinkers brake light and turn signals - not worth it

Search
Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

Blinkers brake light and turn signals - not worth it

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 05:48 PM
midnightexpress

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Blinkers brake light and turn signals - not worth it

If anyone is considering buying Blinkers (blinkers.bike), allow me to offer a word of caution. I noticed mine was draining the battery very quickly in storage, about a week to full depletion, much shorter than the monthly charge they suggested in the instructions. Looking closer, I noticed the laser diode was always dimly lit. Contacted them and they admitted they were already aware that an early production batch had that problem. They're willing to send a replacement, but only if I send the defective unit back to Switzerland, which would cost $25 by the cheapest method I can find. So after the original $112 cost with shipping, they now want me to spend another $25 on top of that because they or the factory they contracted with messed up. What are they going to do with it anyway? With modern small electronics, it's too much work to desolder control chips and replace them, even if you had the facilities to work with today's surface mount components. I would think twice before dealing with them. If you have one shipped to the US and have a problem with it, it's going to cost you a pretty penny to get it fixed. They offered a 20 Euro discount on the next purchase, but with the bad taste of this experience, I'm pretty sure I won't be buying anything else from them, so that's worthless.
Old 07-18-18, 07:53 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Thread moved from Electronics to Manufacturer Feedback.
Old 07-18-18, 09:05 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
The shipping amount is about right for where you ordered it from.

You will be getting a newer production model or refurbished one from what I would gather, that's usually how it works.

The cost for them to fix it doesn't make it a bargain for them mind you, but they are honoring their warranty.

You don't need to have any knowledge of surface mount technology, it's a simple warranty issue.

You can't really expect to have a company refund return shipping when they offer a remedy. After all, they are sending back the new/refurbished model and I also don't see where they have asked you to pay them to ship the replacement.

They also offered you a discount on a future purchase from them whether you choose to do business again or not. That is definitely courteous of them and a genuine sign that they are sorry about the problems you had and wish to make amends.

You are not the only one who had this problem and certainly not the only one being given this remedy. What you do is certainly your own decision and business but I cannot see how you were truly hurt by this. You can still use hand signals in the meantime and the device is not something that keeps the bike off the road if it fails.

I am actually AMAZED that the light lasts a month as I use ancient old Deltas including a 4-way I'm going to incorporate on one of my antique fendered cruisers. It does the same thing with standard bulbs and flashlight batteries.

No warranty on used lights of course. Sure, it's frustrating, but not the end of the world. Try the remedy...if it doesn't work out, oh well, then you can really say they suck in your opinion.

Think of how much it costs a reseller to do this, you are dealing directly.
Old 07-18-18, 10:20 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
When I had a problem with a B&M light they offered to send a replacement PC board which I changed yourself. To be honest, the blinkers light seems like a flawed idea - when the central premise is off, you expect missteps elsewhere.

As a further thought the consumer protection is generally much poorer in Europe than US. On a number of occasions in a store in Europe I was told that I could not open the package to check the product before I paid, even when the opening were not causing any damage to the package. I was also told that I was not able to return the product after I paid.