Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Police Officer Distracted By Phone Hits Cyclist

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Police Officer Distracted By Phone Hits Cyclist

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-18, 12:02 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
I was hoping that someone would have mentioned what kind of bike it was and what kind of damage it received. Anyone know?
Well, the bike is a first gen Scott Foil Premium.

As far as damage on the bike, I'm sure someone will offer their opinion on the condition of the bicycle. Inspection by internut always ends well.

-mr. bill
Old 07-30-18, 12:06 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
I was hoping that someone would have mentioned what kind of bike it was and what kind of damage it received. Anyone know?
See video at 1:00 Just a crack in the carbon makes the frame totaled.

Last edited by CB HI; 07-30-18 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-30-18, 12:38 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
FYI...The white line is called a stop bar.
I'll note that for future reference. I just call it stop line because that's how it is in the statutes of Georgia, where I live. https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia...icle-4/40-6-72
Old 07-30-18, 01:07 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by indyfabz
FYI...The white line is called a stop bar.
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I'll note that for future reference. I just call it stop line because that's how it is in the statutes of Georgia, where I live. https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia...icle-4/40-6-72
In the UVC and MUTCD, it is called a "stop line." As far as I can tell, in 49 of 50 states driving laws it's called a "stop line." California calls it a "limit line."

However, for whatever reason many State DOTs use the term "stop bar" and many manufacturers use the term "stop bar."

-mr. bill
Old 07-30-18, 06:47 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Cell phones simply should not work if moving more than 10 MPH. If the phone call is actually that damned important pull over stop and make the call.

You just think traffic is slow to get moving on a green light as things are now!
Old 07-30-18, 07:11 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

You have confused my remark with something from someone else. I said that the cop 'may be "an irresponsible moron"' who should have seen him. But the cyclist was stopped illegally in the intersection and in a terrifically bad spot for an intersection with narrow lanes.

And yes, there IS a stop line in the video, and the cyclist rolls a long ways past it.

I think you make a legitimate point. I suspect the reason the line is so far back at that intersection is because of just how narrow that road is. If the cyclist was going to take a right it looks like he could have easily visually cleared to the left from the white line. If he were going to take a left, with the height of the vegetation to the right and the dip in the road, I think he would have had to move past the line to make sure it was clear. It's hard to say for sure. I think our (cyclists) safety lesson in this mishap is that if you are going to move past the stop line you have to be on high guard and maybe favor the right so as to give turning motorist more room.

The cop was dead damn wrong for having his umbilical cord to society stuffed in his face. It's inexcusable. If he wasn't giving a turn signal, more shame on him.
Old 07-31-18, 08:53 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I think you make a legitimate point. I suspect the reason the line is so far back at that intersection is because of just how narrow that road is. If the cyclist was going to take a right it looks like he could have easily visually cleared to the left from the white line. If he were going to take a left, with the height of the vegetation to the right and the dip in the road, I think he would have had to move past the line to make sure it was clear. It's hard to say for sure. I think our (cyclists) safety lesson in this mishap is that if you are going to move past the stop line you have to be on high guard and maybe favor the right so as to give turning motorist more room.

The cop was dead damn wrong for having his umbilical cord to society stuffed in his face. It's inexcusable. If he wasn't giving a turn signal, more shame on him.
Cop was also damn wrong for making that cutoff left turn...

BTW thanks for noticing that indeed, there are high weeds and reduced visibility to the right. Some here just denied the heck out of that... and for that, I wish them all the best in safely negotiating similar roadways.
Old 07-31-18, 08:56 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by genec
Cop was also damn wrong for making that cutoff left turn...

BTW thanks for noticing that indeed, there are high weeds and reduced visibility to the right. Some here just denied the heck out of that... and for that, I wish them all the best in safely negotiating similar roadways.
The other person who noticed the high weeds and reduced visibility to the right is the person on the bicycle.

But up periscope! Someone far far away knows better.

-mr. bill
Old 08-01-18, 05:43 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Talking on a cell phone is always a distraction. And the cop in this case is clearly in error.
Old 08-01-18, 07:22 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
In the video, looks to me the cop instinctively punched it in order to cut in front of the oncoming vehicle, cutting the corner even more severely than just tootling along talking on his phone.
Old 08-01-18, 11:22 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

If you are bored and wondering how threads like this go in other kinds of forums, here you go!

https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...p-hits-bicycle
Old 08-01-18, 02:40 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
The cop may be "an irresponsible moron" as the cyclist is quoted as saying (I won't argue either way), and I almost hate to bring it up, but the cyclist was stopped in the area of the red circle here.

Really bad place to be in that intersection, and technically illegal stopped beyond the stop sign. It doesn't excuse the cop not paying attention, but had he seen the cyclist in time, the name calling might have been justified the other way around along with a ticket.

Had he stopped back there I bet he'd still have gotten run into.
Old 08-01-18, 02:54 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
And of course so many stupid "bicycles shouldn't be on the road" comments on that article.
Old 08-01-18, 03:05 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by genec
BTW thanks for noticing that indeed, there are high weeds and reduced visibility to the right.
Sorry, I still don't see any weeds high enough to reduce visibility.

Old 08-01-18, 03:23 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts

I'm shorter than you. And actually, that is NOT the view from the stop line... but the view one sees when they pull up, to gain a better view.

Last edited by genec; 08-01-18 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-01-18, 04:10 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

That was not taken from the stop line either. It was taken from well beyond the stop line. The elevation appears to be several feet higher there. I am not arguing that his line of sight WAS impeded at the stop line, only that it could have been.
Old 08-01-18, 04:51 PM
wphamilton

That was not taken from the stop line either. It was taken from well beyond the stop line. The elevation appears to be several feet higher there. I am not arguing that his line of sight WAS impeded at the stop line, only that it could have been.
The cyclist didn't even look to the right when he was near the stop line.

Seriously just looking at the weeds they're not what you'd call high weeds, nor thick, and if they did obstruct the view of that 50 feet or so stretch, there's no way it would obstruct enough to not see a vehicle there. I didn't think it necessary to even comment, when I posted those photos.
Old 08-01-18, 06:36 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

The cyclist didn't even look to the right when he was near the stop line.

Seriously just looking at the weeds they're not what you'd call high weeds, nor thick, and if they did obstruct the view of that 50 feet or so stretch, there's no way it would obstruct enough to not see a vehicle there. I didn't think it necessary to even comment, when I posted those photos.
Is it not possible that the cyclist had been there before and knew that he needed to move further forward to get an optimal view? Never mind. You have made up you mind.
Old 08-01-18, 07:01 PM
wphamilton

Is it not possible that the cyclist had been there before and knew that he needed to move further forward to get an optimal view? Never mind. You have made up you mind.
If by that you mean that I have looked for and presented factual information, and based a conclusion on that, then yes You could go so far as to say that I am the only person contributing to this thread that has done so, while getting a lot of static from people presenting unlikely and unfounded "maybe's"

To answer your specific question, yes that might have been running through his mind. It was a dumb move on his part.
Old 08-01-18, 07:21 PM
mr_bill

Fact - The cyclist, who was actually there, stated in one of the comments on the video that he can’t see the traffic coming from the right from behind the stop sign. Which is why he slowly rode up the hill to where he can see traffic coming from the right.

Fact - Street view cameras are at 2.5m off the road.

Fact - The grass is cut short on street view image.

Fact - The image cap from where he CAN see up the road to the right is beyond the stop line.

Opinion - He stopped where he could see traffic coming from the right.

-mr. bill
Old 08-01-18, 09:22 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Bottom line is no matter where the cyclist was stopped the cop was on the wrong side of the road, was texting and he hit a FREAKING STOPPED VEHICIAL! Stop trying to defend the cop and pass the blame.
Old 08-02-18, 07:34 AM
mr_bill

But wait, we should *all* take this time to *learn* from this cyclist's *MANY* blunders. We could save our lives!
  • The driver heading south in the Buick Verano passes at 0:23 seconds. Joe checks the time at 0:27. The police officer in the SUV has *still* not reached the intersection at 0:34. ELEVEN seconds is PLENTLY of time for Joe to make a left turn at that intersection. Had he not needlessly waited at the stop sign, the accident (not crash) would not have happened.
  • From 0:34 to 0:37 Joe checks to the left. Poor situational awareness. The closest hazard is to the right! Focus on the accident (not crash) coming from the right!
  • A HUGE disadvantage of diamond frame horizontal top bar bikes is the time it takes to panic dismount when stopped. This accident (not crash) could have been COMPLETELY avoided if Joe was riding a bike with a step-thru frame. Plenty of time to dismount and simply run away from the accident (not crash).
  • Shouting "Woah, woah!" when not riding a horse is generally ineffective.
Anything else? I mean, lives are at stake here.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-02-18 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-02-18, 08:14 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

If by that you mean that I have looked for and presented factual information, and based a conclusion on that, then yes You could go so far as to say that I am the only person contributing to this thread that has done so, while getting a lot of static from people presenting unlikely and unfounded "maybe's"

To answer your specific question, yes that might have been running through his mind. It was a dumb move on his part.

Based on your exhaustive research, how much does the road rise from the stop line to where the cyclist was stopped?

Without knowledge of that, we are pissing in the wind.
Old 08-02-18, 08:53 AM
mr_bill

About one and a quarter meters.
Did I mention that Google Street view is at 2.5 meters above the ground?
The average male adult's eye height in 1.63 meters above the ground.

-mr. bill
Old 08-02-18, 08:57 AM
wphamilton

Based on your exhaustive research, how much does the road rise from the stop line to where the cyclist was stopped?

Without knowledge of that, we are pissing in the wind.
No need to be sarcastic - I did check that before posting anything. Pretty flat on the approach, and something around 5-8 feet to the cross road https://www.strava.com/segments/2557775. The segment ends before the intersection and is flat on the approach, but you can investigate rides from the leaderboard to see the approximate elevation changes beyond the segment. Google Maps has it at only about 3 feet but I think that may be underestimated, from looking at the video. So you have a range of estimates, from a minimum of 3 feet to say, 10 feet to be generous. The weeds that people are so concerned about aren't any higher than the safety rail.

When I was looking at the rider's video, there doesn't seem to be any issue at all with visibility at the intersection, although as I mentioned he never looks right. He just rolls right up to the crossroad looking left and ahead. That's all a red herring. The concern I'd have had is the dip in the road about a quarter mile away which would partially obscure approaching vehicles. But vehicles are easily visible beyond that because of the rise.

If a biker DOES pull up at the intersection, you wouldn't want to be in the path of someone cutting a sharp turn, that should be basic, common sense. If you've looked through the various comments from locals to the area, that intersection is known to be risky, which is another flag about the cyclist's lack of caution.

The cyclist's video is deceptive compared to the longer one - it just shows him stopped there and the cop not paying attention and hitting him. It doesn't look like abnormal positioning there, as if he was just sitting in his allotted lane. But when you see the whole story, that's not the case. No one is defending the cop here, but the cyclist himself doesn't have much ground to stand on either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.