Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Speed Experience?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Dahon Speed Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-18, 03:29 PM
fearsfortears

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dahon Speed Experience?

Hi all!

In the search for my first folder, I've come across what looks to be a nice Dahon Speed in decent condition. I'm brand new here so I can't post links, but I hope I could make it easy by plugging this into Bitly (2v7qp5q).

Haven't called the guy yet, so I don't know model year or parts. I was wondering if this is a good price for a used Speed and if it would be apt for commuting within a city (specifically Philadelphia; looking to move in a few months). I'd also like to know if it's difficult to add mudguards and a rear rack after the fact, as well as the general upgrade-ability of this kind of bike.

For context, I'm 6'1 and 180~185lb, so if this is in line with known Dahon Speed models, I should fall within its supported body type.

If any of you have experience with a Speed that you'd like to share, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thank you.
Old 08-01-18, 07:54 PM
GTA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
Hi, I am glad to share with you my experience of DAHON Speed.
I have a couple of different models of the Speed, from the basic model, to Speed Tr and Speed Pro.
And I always update them with higher performance and lighter parts.
I am not a small guy, 183cm, 85kg. The Speed fits me, so will be OK for your size as well.

Even the basic Speed has already a reatively balanced configuration. No hi-end component but the combination works well.
However, the Speed has a big potential for upgrades. The CrMo steel frame of the Speed is the most valuable component. Strong and comfortable. With this frame, you are able to set up a really high performance folding bike in a very reasonable budget.
The frame is not extremly light, as it is steel, but I was able to control the total weight of my Speed to be 8.2kg. This is no doubt an acceptable weight for any folding bike.

As your first folding bike, the Dahon Speed is a smart choice and it will not make you regret.

Last edited by GTA; 08-03-18 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-01-18, 07:57 PM
GTA

it is named as "Archer" in some countries.
Old 08-01-18, 08:03 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Wow...7.5kg?

Originally Posted by GTA
it is named as "Archer" in some countries.
how do you manage to get it to such a low weight? I have a 9.5 kg Al alloy-folder that i'be hard pressed to get to below 9kg without serious expense or significant decrease in durability...
Old 08-01-18, 09:01 PM
GTA

Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
how do you manage to get it to such a low weight? I have a 9.5 kg Al alloy-folder that i'be hard pressed to get to below 9kg without serious expense or significant decrease in durability...
Hi Abu,
From my point of view, to get rid of the first 1 or 2 kilos is not difficult. We take the basic Speed as example, you just need to get proper saddle/ seatpost/ pedals/ tires/ hollow crankset to replace the old ones, and remove the unnecessary accesories, it can be easily 2 kilos lighter.
But you are right, the lighter, the more difficult and costly it becomes. In the end you take account of every gram.
My Archer, as shown, finally has only the frame kept from the original bike. Every single other piece is upgraded, even all the screws.
You may have to use carbon and titanium components, and some special lightweighted parts. For reference, the brake lever here you see weighs only 32g. The front carbon fork only 3xx g. The front wheelset plus tire only 6xx g......

Perhaps I am lucky, because in China these stuff can be found easily, and also because I have a bunch of folding-bike-enthusiast friends to share experiences, just like here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20180802_103447.jpg (248.0 KB, 167 views)
Old 08-01-18, 09:09 PM
GTA

Sorry, I have checked the weight record, it is 8.2kg, not 7.5kg.
7.5kg was another folder, my Dahon Presto Lite.

Sorry for confusing......
Old 08-01-18, 09:37 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Originally Posted by GTA

yeah...i draw the line at carbon and Ti...because i tour, i need it to be a little more sturdy...cheers...
Old 08-01-18, 10:05 PM
GTA

yeah...i draw the line at carbon and Ti...because i tour, i need it to be a little more sturdy...cheers...
Yes, sometimes I got lost in lightweighting. It is not the only feature of a bike.
A lighter bike even didn't make me ride faster. During last year, my bike perhaps became 800g lighter, which made me happy and pround. However, my weight increased from 80kg to 85kg, and this makes the lightweighting upgrades totally nonsense......
Old 08-03-18, 09:09 AM
kidshibuya

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GTA

Still very light. I am trying to get to my Mu down to at least 8KG from its current 8.7, but I dont see how you did it.

Your frame is steel, mine is alloy.
Your seatpost is metal, mine carbon
Your bars are metal, mine carbon.
Your cranks are metal, mine hollow carbon
Your fork is metal, mine is carbon. Guess a different bike pic?...

I am planning to change my seat (light selle italia), derailleur and cassette (dura-ace) which will save about 200 grams, but would still be 300g off your bike. And we have the same rims, but I have far lighter tyres and I bet tubes. Even my levers are carbon, my cables jagwire and all qr ridea. Not seeing my mine is heavier, every single part seems lighter ;(

Last edited by kidshibuya; 08-03-18 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-03-18, 09:39 AM
GTA

Originally Posted by kidshibuya
Still very light. I am trying to get to my Mu down to at least 8KG from its current 8.7, but I dont see how you did it.

Your frame is steel, mine is alloy.
Your seatpost is metal, mine carbon
Your bars are metal, mine carbon.
Your cranks are metal, mine hollow carbon
Your fork is metal, mine is carbon.

I am planning to change my seat (light selle italia), derailleur and cassette (dura-ace) which will save about 200 grams, but would still be 500g off your full metal bike. And we have the same rims, but I have far lighter tyres and I bet tubes. Even my levers are carbon, my cables jagwire and all qr ridea. Not seeing my mine is heavier, every single part seems lighter ;(
The picture I put are not showing its lightest status.
Of course there are many carbon and titanium parts equipped, and some customized stuff.
I know a guy here could manage to lower the weight of a SPEED to nearly 7kg. He even make cutouts on the frame!

And if you want a superlight bike, MU is not the first choice. Its frame is really heavy, probably heavier than the steel SPEED.
HELIOS is the lightest DAHON frame I have ever had. You should consider it.

BTW, maybe I shouldn't tell you this: I always make my bikes lighter and lighter, but the weight of my body has increased a lot!!!!
Old 08-03-18, 09:51 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Did anyone ever find a link to the bike this thread is about? Nothing that's been said since is particularly helpful to the OP.
Old 08-03-18, 11:53 AM
fearsfortears

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Did anyone ever find a link to the bike this thread is about? Nothing that's been said since is particularly helpful to the OP.
I actually did end up buying it! Paid $300 US for it and my first impression is that it is pretty speedy! Once I hit that magic 10 post mark I'll make a thread showing it with pics, unless it would be better to do it in this existing thread.
Old 08-03-18, 11:55 AM
fearsfortears

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GTA
Hi, I am glad to share with you my experience of DAHON Speed.
I have a couple of different models of the Speed, from the basic model, to Speed Tr and Speed Pro.
And I always update them with higher performance and lighter parts.
I am not a small guy, 183cm, 85kg. The Speed fits me, so will be OK for your size as well.

Even the basic Speed has already a reatively balanced configuration. No hi-end component but the combination works well.
However, the Speed has a big potential for upgrades. The CrMo steel frame of the Speed is the most valuable component. Strong and comfortable. With this frame, you are able to set up a really high performance folding bike in a very reasonable budget.
The frame is not extremly light, as it is steel, but I was able to control the total weight of my Speed to be 8.2kg. This is no doubt an acceptable weight for any folding bike.

As your first folding bike, the Dahon Speed is a smart choice and it will not make you regret.
Thank you for sharing! I've already ridden it for a little bit and you are right, it is very sturdy. I'm already thinking about upgrades, haha
Old 08-03-18, 03:50 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by fearsfortears
I actually did end up buying it! Paid $300 US for it and my first impression is that it is pretty speedy! Once I hit that magic 10 post mark I'll make a thread showing it with pics, unless it would be better to do it in this existing thread.
You might as well post pics, and a review, right here in this thread.
Old 08-03-18, 07:43 PM
kidshibuya

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GTA
The picture I put are not showing its lightest status.
Of course there are many carbon and titanium parts equipped, and some customized stuff.
I know a guy here could manage to lower the weight of a SPEED to nearly 7kg. He even make cutouts on the frame!

And if you want a superlight bike, MU is not the first choice. Its frame is really heavy, probably heavier than the steel SPEED.
HELIOS is the lightest DAHON frame I have ever had. You should consider it.

BTW, maybe I shouldn't tell you this: I always make my bikes lighter and lighter, but the weight of my body has increased a lot!!!!
Yeah I am thinking the Mu frame is really heavy. But I like it visually far better than the rest.
Old 08-05-18, 04:18 AM
GTA

Yeah I am thinking the Mu frame is really heavy. But I like it visually far better than the rest.
you may also like the Tern VERGE frame, which is somehow similar to the MU, but perhaps lighter.
​​​​​​​
Attached Images
Old 08-05-18, 05:31 AM
Abu Mahendra

How about this one?
Old 08-05-18, 06:20 AM
GTA

How about this one?

Aha, LITEPRO!
I know LITEPRO vey well.

From frames, forks, wheel sets, cranksets, to gear cables and bar grips, I have tried almost all types of LP components, because they have been really popular and easy to get.

LP parts are normally quite light! relatively very cheap!
For example, the LP Ultimate Lever, which is a brake lever that weighs 32g, is similar to another famous brand's product, but much much cheaper.

However, I DO NOT suggest you to buy LP frame, because sometimes LP quality is unstable. I have seen many defects on LP stuff. I bet that the frame you show could be 500g lighter than a DAHON frame, but I do doubt the durability.
​​​​​​​
I would not worry if you tell me you are buying a LP seatpost or handlebar.
Old 08-05-18, 04:18 PM
Abu Mahendra

Yes...I live in Asia-Pacific, and Litepro is quite prevalent here. I've used an LP crankset and handlebar now for three years plus, and across three tours. The BB that came with the crankset lasted only for about two years, though, so i threw it out.

interesting about the LP frames. I wondered about that too. An alternative view has been given by a forum member here who said good things about his LP Velocity frame bike...

Originally Posted by GTA
Aha, LITEPRO!
I know LITEPRO vey well.

From frames, forks, wheel sets, cranksets, to gear cables and bar grips, I have tried almost all types of LP components, because they have been really popular and easy to get.

LP parts are normally quite light! relatively very cheap!
For example, the LP Ultimate Lever, which is a brake lever that weighs 32g, is similar to another famous brand's product, but much much cheaper.

However, I DO NOT suggest you to buy LP frame, because sometimes LP quality is unstable. I have seen many defects on LP stuff. I bet that the frame you show could be 500g lighter than a DAHON frame, but I do doubt the durability.

I would not worry if you tell me you are buying a LP seatpost or handlebar.
Old 08-05-18, 07:42 PM
fearsfortears

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pictures to follow...
Based on the serial number and its appearance, my best guess is that it is a 2003 Dahon Speed. I don't know much of the models from back then, so I don't know if it would be called a Speed, Speed Pro, D8, P8, etc.
I don't have any complaints about the ride, other than it not being able to hold onto 5th gear for some reason, so I'll have to figure that out.
I can't seem to fold it so that the magnets touch... it seems to me that the brake levers are getting in the way. I see on modern Dahons that there is a quick release for the handlebars so you can orient the brake levers down, but this bike doesn't have that feature.
Either way, I'm really excited as this is my first folder and also pretty much the first bike I've owned in a few years!

Old 08-05-18, 07:44 PM
kidshibuya

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How about this one?
From the info you provided in the other thread that frame would be about the same weight if not more. Can't find exacts for the mu but that frame is about 400g heavier than the muex frame.

Lite pro stuff often isn't light. Their cranks, handleposts etc are all heavy.

Last edited by kidshibuya; 08-05-18 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-05-18, 08:12 PM
Abu Mahendra

From the info you provided in the other thread that frame would be about the same weight if not more. Can't find exacts for the mu but that frame is about 400g heavier than the muex frame.

Lite pro stuff often isn't light. Their cranks, handleposts etc are all heavy.
i didn't provide weight in the other thread. Why? Because I didn't weigh it, and i don't know what its weight is.

yes...i tour so i cannot take chances with the lightest of the light stuff.
Old 08-06-18, 10:45 AM
kidshibuya

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i didn't provide weight in the other thread. Why? Because I didn't weigh it, and i don't know what its weight is.

yes...i tour so i cannot take chances with the lightest of the light stuff.

Umm...

Litepro/Crius Velocity
Al alloy, $150 frameset (2.8kg), 406/451 wheel
Where did the 2.8kg number come from?
Old 08-06-18, 03:59 PM
Abu Mahendra

Umm...

Where did the 2.8kg number come from?
I've now weighed it. It comes to 2,804 grams.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-12-18 at 09:50 AM.