Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Safety from behind

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Safety from behind

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-18, 05:29 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Safety from behind

While riding with friends the other day, the talk turned to signals and announcements such as saying "slowing, stopping" or signalling debris on the road, etc. I said to the group, "I don't care if you ever say or give me a signal or not. I'm going to ride behind you in a way that no matter what you do, I can stop or adjust. I appreciate the courtesies, but if I rely on them, then I'm not biking safely." Some thought I was being anti-signalling (I'm not) but if the person depends on signals, then they're a bad biker. I pay attention to the bikers in front of me. I can see when they're slowing or stopping or turning. And if they do something unpredictable or unexpected, then I have time and room to adjust. I guess if you're riding in a tight group, then signals are more important; but my response to that is don't to ride in a tight group - give people space. I do recommend announcing yourself when passing ("On your left"). My point is that it is much more important to emphasize how to safely ride behind other bikers.
Old 08-03-18, 06:12 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I have noticed often on group rides, at the beginning, people are pointing out ever tiny pebble, but a few hours into the ride, no one is pointing out anything. So these warnings are rarely consistent, and should not be relied upon exclusively. Common sense should always prevail at all times.

I do know that the worst crash I ever had was in a paceline, on a fast ride, where someone failed to point out a 2" by 2" rock in the road, which was just big enough to knock my hands off the bars and take me down at 25 mph, without even the opportunity to brake first. That hurt a lot.

I try not to rely too much on other people to point stuff out, but in hindsight, I really wish someone had called out that rock for me.
Old 08-03-18, 07:46 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
As a mostly solo rider, I see where you're coming from. I tend to have already noticed whatever they're pointing out, and sometimes it's so minor that I don't even care. But from their perspective, they want everyone in the group to be on the same page, and able to react to it in a smooth and predictable manner. That's even more true for a tight pace line.
Old 08-03-18, 08:16 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by practical
While riding with friends the other day, the talk turned to signals and announcements such as saying "slowing, stopping" or signalling debris on the road, etc. I said to the group, "I don't care if you ever say or give me a signal or not. I'm going to ride behind you in a way that no matter what you do, I can stop or adjust. I appreciate the courtesies, but if I rely on them, then I'm not biking safely." Some thought I was being anti-signalling (I'm not) but if the person depends on signals, then they're a bad biker. I pay attention to the bikers in front of me. I can see when they're slowing or stopping or turning. And if they do something unpredictable or unexpected, then I have time and room to adjust. I guess if you're riding in a tight group, then signals are more important; but my response to that is don't to ride in a tight group - give people space. I do recommend announcing yourself when passing ("On your left"). My point is that it is much more important to emphasize how to safely ride behind other bikers.
I'm with you. I'm responsible for my own safety, and will never rely on info from others. Don't tell me an intersection is "clear" or that there's a "car back". I'm not going to ride through without seeing it's clear for myself, and I see cars behind me in my mirror long before anyone calls it out. And so what? Sometimes when there is a car back I want to maintain my position in the lane.

I do ride in groups, but not tight pacelines. That's an unnecessary risk that I will not take. If paceline riders like calling everything out and relying on others, that's there choice.
Old 08-03-18, 12:40 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I think it's common courtesy to point out hazards on a trail or in the roadway. But yes, I agree, I'm still going to keep my eyes & ears open to all hazards regardless. However, I do appreciate it when someone points out a possible hazard that I may not have noticed.
Old 08-03-18, 09:19 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
If your group is drafting though, signaling could prevent a crash...
Old 08-03-18, 09:35 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
True. Because drafting increases risk of a crash.
Old 08-04-18, 04:53 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
We sometimes draft but only when biking into the wind and our speed is around 10-12 mph (or slower).