Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Univega Grantech 6400 with Mirage

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-18, 08:00 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Univega Grantech 6400 with Mirage

Hey all,

I'm currently looking for a vacation bike to use while I'm in the states, and then to keep at my parents for my yearly/bi-yearly visits. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Lemond, but someone else snatched the first day it was posted, on a day I couldn't make it. So, today this bike was posted.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/b...669590424.html

I have no clue on to pricing of older bikes, especially one that is not original. I'm not really into vintage bikes, just getting a good bike at or below the $400 price point. I also have no clue as the geometry of the bike, but I'm 5'8", and ride bikes with ~535 effective top tubes with 120mm stems.

Thanks for any help suggestions you might have.
Old 08-13-18, 03:35 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
You could have "snatched" a Lemond but are considering a Univega instead, replete with ********ed triple crank and dork disk? That's quite a come down. Perhaps bide your time until something better comes along? Although nothing wrong with the rest of the Mirage components.
The Lemond was a Tourmalet with a triple in front, which was around the same price, and was gone the same day it was put up. I just didn't have time to pick it up. I'm looking for a bike to use for 2 weeks for now, and then for other two week vacations here. I don't want to drop any more than $400 though.

For a little more I could do a 2004 or 2006 Trek 1500 SLR.
Old 08-14-18, 05:40 PM
San Pedro

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I ended up buying it. The bike rides super smooth. My saddle could barely fit onto the seatpost, but that dropped quite a bit of weight. The Japanese pedals might take away from the European feel of the groupset, but I need my SPD-SL pedals, they're also lighter than the Look pedals that came on the bike. I might have to change the cable for the front derailleur as it shifts when turning the bars after the stem was raised. Feels fast, but that small chain ring isn't going to get any use in Michigan. @Danbianchi881