Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A Matter of Style: Looking Good on the Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A Matter of Style: Looking Good on the Bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 02:46 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
There is no looking good in cycling. We all look like ****ers to everyone else. So this is more how to fit in with cyclists who think they look good but in reality only look good to themselves.
False.
Originally Posted by winston63
Right on.

The only way to look "good" to non cyclist is to forgo cycling kit altogether. The rest of the details are meaningless - oh, and I should add that knee high socks look ridiculous and not just to non-cyclists
In fact, I get compliments on my brightly colored jersey from the general public every time I wear it. Something I've never gotten when I'm "out of uniform."

If you take time to put your kit together without being gaudy, people will notice and respond positively. I think that's true with just about anything you wear.

Last edited by KraneXL; 08-15-18 at 04:19 AM. Reason: sp
Old 08-15-18, 02:59 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
When I drive to the stor, I don't care in the least about making driving to the store "relatable" or "accessible" to other people, nor to care if I am an good "ambassador" for people who drive to the store.

When i ride my bike to the store, i am going shopping. I think about what I am going to buy, I ride safely so I actually arrive, I shop. I do not function as an "ambassador," and no one who sees me---or any of the rest of you---ever thinks, "Wow, that sweaty guy in noisy shoes makes riding a bike to the store so accessible. I can definitely relate." No one gives me any grief, either. I am just another person at the store.

I wonder about people who are so reliant on others' perceived acceptance---you do know that 99 percent of the people you see don't see you any more than you see them, right? Because like you, they are obsessing over their "image."
Old 08-15-18, 03:42 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I had a particular laugh that the gloves had to be black or white.

Personally, I've got my own style when I cycle ...

And I believe that a person should match their nail polish to their bicycles and gloves.

And jersey ...

Old 08-15-18, 05:47 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Lose the gut so you don't look like he-who-can't-be-named and you're good to go regradless.

scott s.
Old 08-15-18, 06:19 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I look so damned good no matter what i wear or what i do, i feel like I am being unfair to all the other people on the planet.
I thought I was the only one. Guess that makes two of us.

Old 08-15-18, 07:23 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
"It is better to look good than to feel good."
-Fernando
Old 08-15-18, 07:28 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadesfire
Good Lord- I think I've read more about fashion and lifestyle on this forum this week than I have in the past year of casually watching HGTV (and no, not just from Tim). And that article, to me, read like something out of Glamour...just with bicycles in the photos.

Here's my .02:
It's a bicycle. I enjoy building and riding them. I also accept that I look like a total dweeb to 99.8% of the population that sees me when I'm out on it, no matter how much I spend or what companies I order from. My main concerns are safety and comfort, and I'll buy colors and patterns I like- not what I think will look most attractive to random strangers in the hopes of making the sport "more relatable and accessible." If the clothes are what attracts people to the sport then A) they've got other problems; and B) when they've spent all the money living up to some "standard," puke their guts up after their first five mile ride, and never take the bike out of the garage again- only then will I ask for their number...to make an offer on the bike.
^^^This.

That article is enough to make a person puke. Good god. "Looking good on the bike" Seriously...Puke puke puke.
Old 08-15-18, 07:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
False. In fact, I get compliments on my brightly colored jersey from the general public every time I wear it. Something I've never gotten when I'm "out of uniform."

If you take time to put your kit together without being gaudy, people will notice and respond positively. I think that's true with just about anything you wear.
Yep.

If people think you look like a ****** in cycling clothing it's likely because you do. If you think everyone in cycling clothing looks like a ****** then, IMO, you have no discerning eye and/or a lot of self-loathing.

WTH? How did that word get censored? It's the nickname name of a character on "The Andy Griffith Show."
Old 08-15-18, 07:47 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Looking fashionable and stylish is a lost cause for me regardless, and that's one of the things I appreciate about cycling. The default, expected look is geeky or at least eccentric, so you don't need to worry about it. Just carry the helmet and it excuses your fashion choices.
Old 08-15-18, 08:09 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
From Above Category Cycling...
I found the article contemporary and very practical, well written given some of the drivel which passes for writing these days.
-Tim-
I dont think anyone here is surprised you view this as a very practical article.

A Swiss Army Knife is practical.
A minivan is practical.
That article is all theory and not practical.

Regardless, thank you for your weekly clothing thread. I depend on your vanity to provide regular entertainment at work and this has certainly delivered so far.
Old 08-15-18, 08:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
You guys tell me what we should wear. Cargo shorts, flip flops and an untucked undershirt like half the men walking around out there?

I see guys dressed that way all the time, some of them with very nicely dressed women at their side and wonder how easy it would be for the first guy wearing a sports coat with ten bucks in his pocket to steal his girlfriend.

Any of the guys in the article are dressed better than most guys walking around.
-Tim-
Your veiled contempt for the female gender continues to be disappointing. I genuinely feel bad that your views on relationship are so distorted.
While some women may be as shallow as you think, I have found that most are in fact the exact opposite. I have found that most women are dedicated to the relationship they are in and dont bounce from guy to guy based on something as superficial as clothing(or $10).

Shallow vanity is a primary driver for actions and motivates some in life regardless of gender. It is not unique to females or males. Either way, it is unfortunate that you seem to think its common since you are basing discussion points on something that is actually so rare.
I hope that match.com account you mentioned leads to a relationship that helps you overcome such a shallow view of women.
Old 08-15-18, 08:29 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

And jersey ...

Too much steerer tube. You should slam the stem and get aero.
Old 08-15-18, 08:37 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
The Devil Wears Rapha could be the Wayans brothers' take on this.
Old 08-15-18, 08:45 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
You guys tell me what we should wear. Cargo shorts, flip flops and an untucked undershirt like half the men walking around out there?
Um, almost what I wore this morning except it was a ridiculously orange technical T-shirt un-tucked of course, too-loose cargo shorts, and running shoes. As long as you're carrying a goofy looking bike helmet you can pull it off! And even worse!

I wouldn't know about guys stealing good-looking girlfriends because you dress casually, but I can tell you this much. On the bike path I get a lot more random smiles and greetings when I have nothing even remotely "cycling" apparel, and hardly any when I'm "suited up" in the full costume even if it's meticulously color-matched and perfectly fit .
Old 08-15-18, 09:02 AM
Steeljag

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv Pro I

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I’m not cycling again until we get this figured out ! High socks ? Low socks ? Bright colors ? Dark colors ? Sun glasses inside or outside helmet straps ? Sooo confusing!
Old 08-15-18, 09:11 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts

Back when low socks were the thing. I'll try to get something more recent off my Match.com profile.

-Fred-
Fixed your signature for you ;(
Old 08-15-18, 09:13 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Old 08-15-18, 09:21 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

The people who have said any attempt at "looking good" on the bike is just trying to signal certain things to other riders are correct. Passing motorists don't give a rat's ass what you are wearing, whether it's color coordinated, etc. Guys thinking that women driving or jogging by are going to notice their outfit or "look" and be impressed are just living in a narcissistic fantasy land.

That said, I do almost exclusively wear team kit, and I deliberately picked my sunglasses, shoes, helmet, and a few other little things to match some of the highlight colors on my team's gear. It makes me feel good and I like representing the company that sponsors us, but I also know the only people who "check me out" on the bike are other riders who are probably just trying to either see if they recognize me or are sizing me up for a Cat 6 street fight.

Ironically, the only time I've ever had anyone yell a compliment at me was when I was breaking the "rules" of road cycling and wearing a sleeveless jersey while I lived in Miami. Some girl yelled, "Nice arms, Lance!". Most times the yelling is a bit less flattering.
Old 08-15-18, 09:43 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Taking the time to care about how you look when you go out in public has to do with the person, not the activity. That personality traits would be the same regardless of environment or pastime. Some folks like to get dressed to go out to dinner. Others are comfortable wearing flip-flops and a tank top. As long as you're not contrary to the codes of the establishment, there are no expectations.

On the other hand, if you're a part of a group then you should be expected to follow the codes and customs of that group. For the record, the generally casual individual can be just as judgmental as his more formal counterpart.
Originally Posted by Steeljag
I’m not cycling again until we get this figured out ! High socks ? Low socks ? Bright colors ? Dark colors ? Sun glasses inside or outside helmet straps ? Sooo confusing!
Socks can be either length (even no shows) as long as they don't go above the calf. Colors can be bright or dark, and sun glasses always go inside the helmet.
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
The people who have said any attempt at "looking good" on the bike is just trying to signal certain things to other riders are correct. Passing motorists don't give a rat's ass what you are wearing, whether it's color coordinated, etc. Guys thinking that women driving or jogging by are going to notice their outfit or "look" and be impressed are just living in a narcissistic fantasy land.

That said, I do almost exclusively wear team kit, and I deliberately picked my sunglasses, shoes, helmet, and a few other little things to match some of the highlight colors on my team's gear. It makes me feel good and I like representing the company that sponsors us, but I also know the only people who "check me out" on the bike are other riders who are probably just trying to either see if they recognize me or are sizing me up for a Cat 6 street fight.

Ironically, the only time I've ever had anyone yell a compliment at me was when I was breaking the "rules" of road cycling and wearing a sleeveless jersey while I lived in Miami. Some girl yelled, "Nice arms, Lance!". Most times the yelling is a bit less flattering.
Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, all of the above are true. Men notice women and women notice men. Who would deny that?
Old 08-15-18, 09:45 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
sun glasses always go inside the helmet.
incorrect
Old 08-15-18, 09:53 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Men notice women and women notice men. Who would deny that?
Sure, people notice each other, but it's despite the cycling attire, not because of it. Non-cyclists in general think the outfits we wear look silly. If you're in great shape, people looking at you will notice that regardless of the color of your socks or jersey. A lady friend of mine at work just came over and noticed a photo at my desk of me racing my bike. She said something flattering about my tan and also said, "your little sport pants look ridiculous". YMMV, but this has been my experience after having had many conversations over the years with non-cyclists about how they perceive us "roadies".
Old 08-15-18, 09:56 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by noodle soup
incorrect
Not in my world.
Old 08-15-18, 10:07 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Not in my world.

Tryathletes should be the last people to give fashion pointers to cyclists.
Old 08-15-18, 10:13 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by noodle soup

Tryathletes should be the last people to give fashion pointers to cyclists.
Have fun with that... to the outside world we look equally dorky, which is the main issue with this article.

We (stereotypically) think y'all look ridiculous as well, fwiw.
Old 08-15-18, 10:21 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Um, almost what I wore this morning except it was a ridiculously orange technical T-shirt un-tucked of course, too-loose cargo shorts, and running shoes. As long as you're carrying a goofy looking bike helmet you can pull it off! And even worse!

I wouldn't know about guys stealing good-looking girlfriends because you dress casually, but I can tell you this much. On the bike path I get a lot more random smiles and greetings when I have nothing even remotely "cycling" apparel, and hardly any when I'm "suited up" in the full costume even if it's meticulously color-matched and perfectly fit .
Irrefutable.

Which, of course, won't stop anyone from arguing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.