Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front Derailleur replacement "parts"

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-18, 06:04 PM
cyclingarri
All Ass No Gas

Bikes: 1988 Peugeot St. Laurent, 1974 UO18 Peugeot, 1985 P16 Peugeot, Roadmaster Ground Assult Mtn. Sport, Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Iseran Peugeot, Junet Mixte

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Ive been working on a Fd shimano nexave tz301 and the limit screw heads were stripped. Also even reaching limits of screws seems to need just a little more. Another possible issue could be that this front derailleur initially came with something called a "pro-fit alignment block" that is no where to be found or even to purchase. So instead im using a wedge and regular longer screws. Could there be a chance anything can go wrong using the reg. screws and using a plastic piece as a wedge for installation?
Old 08-18-18, 08:24 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
When Shimano came out (late 1980s?) with their plastic set up aids we tried them. For a inexperienced wrench they did help get the alignment really close but for us old grumpy guys (I was old and grumpy even back then) we found them to only add time to out positioning the der. These days many of their ft ders are packaged with a insert block to lock the cage about halfway through it's in use travel range. Again for some this helps. Others toss them out before installing the der.

As to the limit screws- I wonder why the OEM travel range isn't enough for your needs. I wonder about the number of rings you're using, the chain line and what other subtle issue is going on. But the screws typically are of the same threading and can usually be subbed with most any other limit screw, length dependent.

I don't bother to keep up with Shimano's latest set up gizmos so I'm possibly missing the boat here. Andy
Old 08-20-18, 06:06 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Your limit screws will last longer if you relieve the spring pressure while adjusting them. Using those tiny screws to drive against a strong spring is asking for damage.