Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Official Carryme Owners QA Thread (tips, tricks, fixes, mods, etc)

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Official Carryme Owners QA Thread (tips, tricks, fixes, mods, etc)

Old 01-20-18, 10:51 AM
Pahana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Chamfering bb on 2013 Single Speed?

Love my Carryme and have been taking it to work for years now. I have hills and some days wind plus a heavy backpack so I put on the 64t chainring and chain from bfold. Of course I have lost a lot power on the flats and spin out some times. I have lots of upgrades on this bike and very little stock parts other than the crank. I would like to add a second speed to MY Carryme but am told by Pacific not to chamfer the bb.Bikegang is selling the ds crank for $280 on ebay. I live within a days drive to Utah Trikes that could chamfer the bb and install the crank. Pacific is claiming that the bb is not heavy enough on pre 2014 models for chamfering. My feelings are that they're just afraid that it won't be done right and not that it can't be done. Who is right here. Is there a thickness limit for bb chamfering or is Pacific just being overly cautious.
After thinking about it I may have asked this question about 10 months ago. If that is the case please forgive me. I'm going to contact Utah Trikes and see what they say as they do chamfering regularly.

Last edited by Pahana; 01-20-18 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-24-18, 04:43 PM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Hi, is there any way we can change the rear freewheel to a standard freewheel?
Old 02-24-18, 07:14 AM
xxharold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Considering to get a CarryMe SD bike here soon. I'm worried about the maintenance though since the distributor here doesn't sell spare parts, say any of the bike parts will break. I also considered the 2-speed drive kit upgrade. Due to the mentioned limitations, I wonder:

1. if I could find a non-proprietary replacement parts?
2. Do I miss a lot if I won't upgrade to 2-speed drive kit? My daily trip involves long hills.
Old 02-25-18, 08:11 PM
Pahana

Originally Posted by xxharold
Considering to get a CarryMe SD bike here soon. I'm worried about the maintenance though since the distributor here doesn't sell spare parts, say any of the bike parts will break. I also considered the 2-speed drive kit upgrade. Due to the mentioned limitations, I wonder:

2. Do I miss a lot if I won't upgrade to 2-speed drive kit? My daily trip involves long hills.
I have the single speed and have hills to climb. What I did is purchase the 64t chainring and chain from Pacific. If I had to choose a bike for hill climbing I'd look elsewhere. On the downhills I just coast. You really don't want to go too fast on 8 inch wheels. As far as most of the other parts I've changed them out.
Old 02-26-18, 07:25 PM
bikexpert

Bikes: BIRDY, CARRYME

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1. Not likely because all CarryMe parts are custom made. But you can easily buy the parts from Pacific, they ship worldwide.

2. CarryMe is most suitable for flat terrains, but if you really want to uphills then definitely need to change to 64T chainwheel.
Old 03-01-18, 07:59 AM
xxharold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Pahana and @bikexpert thanks for your input! Any idea how much those 64t chainring and chain cost? I've been holding back from buying CM because of this.
Old 03-01-18, 06:18 PM
Pahana

@Pahana and @bikexpert thanks for your input! Any idea how much those 64t chainring and chain cost? I've been holding back from buying CM because of this.
It cost a $100.00 from Bfold bikes in NYC. My local bike shop has a CarryMe used for sale for $375.00. It's PortaPedal in Tempe AZ. Try to see if Al can let it go for less. He has a Tern verge x10 for sale that is mine if you're interested. I purchased a Ti Brompton and no longer need the Tern.
Old 03-01-18, 11:12 PM
xxharold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pahana
It cost a $100.00 from Bfold bikes in NYC. My local bike shop has a CarryMe used for sale for $375.00. It's PortaPedal in Tempe AZ. Try to see if Al can let it go for less. He has a Tern verge x10 for sale that is mine if you're interested. I purchased a Ti Brompton and no longer need the Tern.
Darn, I wish I live in the same country as yours. I really don't mind buying a used bike for less.
Old 03-02-18, 12:59 AM
bikexpert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Darn, I wish I live in the same country as yours. I really don't mind buying a used bike for less.
@xxharold I got mine CARRYME from a Taiwan bike shop back in 2013, I remembered the upcharge for the 64T and chain was around USD80-90.

Hope this info helps
Old 03-02-18, 06:53 AM
Pahana

I love my Carryme but there are many other choices out there that might suit your needs better. Once you need to start changing things on a bike before you even buy one look elsewhere. Whats right is easy and whats easy is right.
Old 03-02-18, 08:36 AM
xxharold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Carryme but there are many other choices out there that might suit your needs better. Once you need to start changing things on a bike before you even buy one look elsewhere. Whats right is easy and whats easy is right.
True but I fell in love with its portability. Same as Strida but this one's more compact. I don't intend to get one for racing. If not any of those two I mentioned, I might go for Bickerton Pilot.

Originally Posted by bikexpert
@xxharold I got mine CARRYME from a Taiwan bike shop back in 2013, I remembered the upcharge for the 64T and chain was around USD80-90.

Hope this info helps
This just gave me more reason to go to Taiwan aside from food. I also reached Pacific about the parts you mentioned. Price is a little more than you mentioned plus shipping fee.
Old 03-21-18, 04:51 AM
xxharold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just placed an order of 1 CarryMe SD bike recently. Still waiting for it to be shipped. I wonder if any of you guys bought the proprietary bag? Is it worth buying?
Old 03-26-18, 05:21 AM
Pahana

Congratulations

Good luck on your new bike and hope you enjoy the ride. I just added a Thudbuster ST seatpost I took off from my hardtail mountain bike. Really improved the ride of the Carryme. Worth looking into in the future if you feel the need. It took the sting out of the hard bumps without any bobbing. I'm going to look into that new suspension stem this summer and if I have the extra money give it a try. Best regards.
Old 06-02-18, 02:16 PM
bike.gang.uk

Bikes: Brompton H3L, RAF, M3L, Dahon, Giant NRS, GT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Nice design for air travel ...

Old 07-30-18, 10:14 AM
xxharold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you guys had issue with inflating your tires? Did you have to use some extender or special type of pump?
Old 08-06-18, 10:10 PM
Pahana

Do you guys had issue with inflating your tires? Did you have to use some extender or special type of pump?
Your Carryme should have come with angled valves. A while back I had a flat and didn't have a tube with angled valves so I used a straight valve. I left it on even though I got angled valve tubes. On the straight valve I use the Topeak angled valve attachment that connects to the floor pump .
Old 08-08-18, 10:10 AM
xxharold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your Carryme should have come with angled valves. A while back I had a flat and didn't have a tube with angled valves so I used a straight valve. I left it on even though I got angled valve tubes. On the straight valve I use the Topeak angled valve attachment that connects to the floor pump .
The valve on the rear wheel is too close to the rim/mag wheel that I cannot fully attach the pump nozzle to the valve. I wish I could send a picture here but I couldn't (yet).
Old 08-08-18, 11:17 AM
Pahana

You might try to take out all the air in the tube and move the valve over where you can inflate the tube. That's what I did on the straight valve. I let the air out of the tire so I could get to the tube. The problem with this is you could break the valve at the stem but if you have no choice you have no choice . Then I got the Topeak angled valve attachment and use that to inflate the tube. Changing a tube on a CarryMe is a lot of work. If you ever have to change out a tube be sure to put soapy water on the rim it helps a lot. The tires on my Carryme are a very tight fit and if it's the rear tire I need to take off the chain which means taking off the front chainring. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I can't figure out another way. I see on the new Carryme's you can just move the rear end but again I'm not sure if this is right as I have a 2013 model .
Old 08-09-18, 08:27 AM
GTA

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
perhaps I am too late, but here is the very first generation CarryMe.
​​​​​​​Seriously. Don't laugh.
Attached Images
Old 08-13-18, 05:38 PM
Pahana

That looks like a beautiful folding bike. Where did you find this foto?
Old 08-13-18, 08:22 PM
bikexpert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is what I use.
Old 08-14-18, 06:29 AM
Pahana

Can someone help explain the difference between the latest Carryme and the older style. I see the rear drop out is screwed into place and there is no longer a chain tensioner. Without the welding it looks like it might be a little lose back there. I'm sure it is cheaper to manufacture and much easier to remove the rear wheel. Also the 2 speed version went down almost $200 in price. How did they drop the price from $1050 to $870 at last check .
Old 08-14-18, 11:23 PM
bikexpert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone help explain the difference between the latest Carryme and the older style. I see the rear drop out is screwed into place and there is no longer a chain tensioner. Without the welding it looks like it might be a little lose back there. I'm sure it is cheaper to manufacture and much easier to remove the rear wheel. Also the 2 speed version went down almost $200 in price. How did they drop the price from $1050 to $870 at last check .
My CARRYME is 2014 model with welded rear fork.
I did test ride the 2016 model with assembled rear fork around 3k and to it feels the same to me. No wobbles or what so ever.
1. Easier tire/tube replacement and chain tension adjustment.
2. Customized colors.
These were the answers I got from my local dealers.
They also told me that it wasn't cheaper to make since it's a much complicated process which involves a lot of new toolings.
Old 08-20-18, 05:11 AM
Pahana

It seems like they want you to buy the 2 speed with the prices almost the same. When I bought mine there was a $300 difference in price but now about $100 USD difference .
Old 08-20-18, 11:30 PM
GTA

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
That looks like a beautiful folding bike. Where did you find this foto?
Taken in the show room of Pacific Cycles in Taiwan. There are a bunch of interesting bikes in there...... you could imagine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.