Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

My thread is now gone

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

My thread is now gone

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-23, 07:02 AM
867530niiiine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My thread is now gone

I posted a thread yesterday about being hit and that thread is now gone. After reading some of the responses, I am assuming that a moderator pulled it for my own good and to protect me. Thank you for that. I do have a private message that probably explains why it's not there but I can't access the PM because I have less than 10 posts!

I have tried to embrace this forum but it seems to have a lot curious rules. Early on I posted something with a link but I could not do so. Because of the rules I have limited my use here to primarily being a lurker.

I guess if anything this post will get me closer to the 10 posts I need to be able to read the PM that was sent to me.
Old 09-30-23, 08:22 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 972 Posts
There is no reason to be a lurker. The "curious" rules are to prevent abuse of the system by motivated forces. The rules are to raise the bar enough the motivated forces simply move along to easier prospects. Once over the hump, links, messeges, and all the other privilages afforded by membership by the good people at Internet Brands will become available.

10 posts signifying engagement with the community over 2 days isn't really that hard for a human person. But, it's kryptonite to a spammer.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 09-30-23, 09:29 AM
867530niiiine

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
There is no reason to be a lurker. The "curious" rules are to prevent abuse of the system by motivated forces. The rules are to raise the bar enough the motivated forces simply move along to easier prospects. Once over the hump, links, messeges, and all the other privilages afforded by membership by the good people at Internet Brands will become available.

10 posts signifying engagement with the community over 2 days isn't really that hard for a human person. But, it's kryptonite to a spammer.
I totally understand and your points are well-taken. It all makes sense re the spammers.

I’m not a big online person that contributes to forums. I contribute on a professional forum related to my work and browse a few others. It will more than likely take me awhile to reach 10 posts. My primary use of the internet is emails, reading professional publications, The NY Times, The Economist, looking up sports scores, etc.

While I understand the restrictions, the one about not being able to read PMs until reaching 10 posts seems a bit silly. I understand not being able to send PMs to prevent the random spamming of inboxes but I’m not sure that I get not being able to read PMs.

Happy peddling, everyone!
Old 09-30-23, 10:10 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3853 Post(s)
Liked 1,075 Times in 812 Posts
If you're truly into cycling, then there are plenty of threads to post on here, not only in this forum buy many others. Just be wary of those with sensitive egos, especially in the General Cycling Discussion forum

Old 09-30-23, 11:26 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,581 Posts
We don't allow posts that give details about crashes if they haven't been legally settled, particularly from someone who thinks they might need a lawyer. It's for your own protection, lawyers scour the web looking for posts like yours so they can find inconsistencies and illegitimately win a case. Find a lawyer that specializes in bike crashes. It's likely that the Bikelaw people can help you with that. If you do get a lawyer, they are going to tell you not to post anything about the crash. Once you reach a settlement, you are welcome to post about it here.

I didn't write it, but I'm sure the PM just said we pulled your post to protect you legally.

Sorry you can't get private messages yet, we are constantly fighting spammers, and that's an anti spam rule. Unfortunately, the way the forum software is written, it's not possible to keep people from sending private messages without keeping them from reading private messages. It's really annoying.

Last edited by unterhausen; 09-30-23 at 11:30 AM.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-30-23, 12:20 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6346 Post(s)
Liked 4,948 Times in 3,408 Posts
867530niiiine

Find some other threads that interest you and join the conversation if you think you have anything useful. Or ask some other questions about cycling. 5 more post to go and you'll have all the privileges of a full fledged member (IIRC). So don't be unsocial on a site that is intended to be social at it's very core.

Disclosing your details about a wreck you were involved in could have things turned back against you if you word things wrong. Sometimes something unrelated to the actual cause of a wreck can in some states cause you to not get any compensation. So don't discuss them publicly.
Old 09-30-23, 12:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5950 Post(s)
Liked 2,857 Times in 1,593 Posts
It's very easy to get beyond the 10 post threshold, which I suspect exists as a way to discourage spammers from posting ad links and such. If you haven't already done so, go to introductions and say hello. Then I'm sure you have questions which you can post in General Cycling, or a mechanical question. Or since you posted in the A&S forum may have something to add to one of those threads.

BTW- am I imagining things, or do PMs not get forwarded to the linked email address?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-30-23, 01:11 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,581 Posts
I don't know about PM's being forwarded. I recall that there is a very crude block on PM's that just disables the entire subsystem for a new account. I usually leave a visitor's message if I really want someone new to get a pm. I'm not sure about doing that with this particular message though.

There is a class of spammer that sends PM's instead of posting a thread. That's why PM's are disabled for new accounts.
Old 09-30-23, 01:52 PM
867530niiiine

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It all makes sense.

It's really hard to believe that for as long as I've been a cyclist, about 30ish years plus I used to ride all over the neighborhood when I was a kid, I have never been involved in an accident with a car. I've had close calls, nearly been doored a few times, etc, but that is it.

I think that I started my thread just wondering if I should seek out legal advice and everyone seems to have a different thought about it. I was, and still am, a bit confused. I'm hoping that all works out.
Likes For 867530niiiine:
Old 09-30-23, 03:24 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5950 Post(s)
Liked 2,857 Times in 1,593 Posts
If you're wondering about seeking legal advice, understand that there's no reason not to explore those options.

Seeking advice from a lawyer, usually doesn't commit you to actually hiring them to represent you.

Most will do an initial consult for free, wherein they'll tell you what they feel the case might be worth, and discuss costs, should you opt to retain them.

However you opt to proceed, having a sense of the terrain can't hurt.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-30-23, 09:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4495 Post(s)
Liked 4,174 Times in 2,795 Posts
You gotta have some rules and regulations here otherwise it would be total chaos and spammers heaven and I have been on forums and places that have gotten hit by spammers and it is not fun. Hitting 10 posts over a couple days is nothing. We all did it and heck that was over 12000 posts ago and nearly a decade ago (ish). There is so much to get involved with it is hard not to want to get involved unless you don't like bikes...

In terms of seeking legal advice as FBinNY suggested you should do it. You don't have to go all the way but asking for legal advice from a legal professional (not someone here) is not a bad thing. However seeking it here and posting details of the incident here could cause problems if you decide to pursue legal means. It could also work against your case.