Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Choosing Mid 80s touring

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Choosing Mid 80s touring

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-20, 05:18 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
The Univega Gran Tourismo was built by Miyata, and is pretty much a Miyata 610 by another name -- other than if you look closely, the Uni has mid-fork braze-ons and the rear rack mounting braze-ons are on the inside of the seat stays...

BTW, here's a pic of my '84 Univega Gran Tourismo 'before':

And the pile of parts that went on it:

I never got around to taking an 'After' pic yet - and I'm not trudging out to the detached garage in an ice storm to do it!

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 02-06-20 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-06-20, 07:47 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
That's a nice bike and it looks like most of the vintage components can be cleaned/greased/re-used in order to keep costs down without sacrificing functionality. The tires are a decent size and you might be able to fit slightly bigger. It's interesting to see an old 650b rim.

Re: the size - I suggest that you set the seat height properly for your leg length and then place a level from the seat toward the front of the bike. Measure the height from the 'leveled' level to the top of the headset. This will give the nec. stem reveal to get your bars level with your seat (assuming you want this). The Nitto Technomic 1" threaded stem is known to be one of the longer stem offerings and it has a minimum insertion that yields 160 mm of reveal (max.) above the headset.

This should give you some idea of whether you can make this 23" frame work for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Nitto-Technom.../dp/B001GSSI1I

Yes, I did the same to a Raleigh R300 touring that was too small. The Technomic works well. Many an undersized frame can work well with that if the seat tube is doable.
Old 02-06-20, 08:22 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Wow. You did the right thing, but the kid may have thought you were just trying to squeeze him for some more accessory money...

The weird thing to me is that 650B is or at least was the French 26" size. You'd think Raleigh would have used a good British size like 26 x 1 3/8" / EA3. IIRC early brit MTB's used 650B, which must be the reason they spec'd it.
Probably because of the limited width choices available with 650A 26 1 3/8. Today there's a Panaracer offering that's a little on the fat side but otherwise, you can have any width you want as long a it's 35mm. That's fine for me running my Raleigh Sports around the city of Houston, but I understand the desire for wider tires, particularly with a bike designed for loaded touring.
Old 02-08-20, 03:46 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
The Univega Gran Tourismo was built by Miyata, and is pretty much a Miyata 610 by another name -- other than if you look closely, the Uni has mid-fork braze-ons and the rear rack mounting braze-ons are on the inside of the seat stays...

BTW, here's a pic of my '84 Univega Gran Tourismo 'before':

I never got around to taking an 'After' pic yet - and I'm not trudging out to the detached garage in an ice storm to do it!
I have an '84 Gran Turismo that I've really come to love. The frame's a little big for me, but I'm not willing to give it up.
Old 02-08-20, 05:58 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Egginahole

Here's that Miyata 610 I found for reference and ability to post pictures.
That's a clean looking 610.
It must be a lot lighter than my 1985 610 as I do not have to have hooks to hold it from floating off. Ha!
Old 02-09-20, 07:48 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
Velcro Cannondale water bottle! Haven’t seen one of those since about 1986 or so...
Old 02-15-20, 09:36 AM
Londonsworld 

Bikes: 71 American Eagle Olympiad, 03 Trek 5200 P1, 2013 Trek 6 series Domane, 83 Apollo branded Kuwahara, 78 Trek TX 300, 73 Nishiki Intl. 86 Nishiki Prestige, Nishiki Olympic, 72 and 73 Nishiki Safari', two-speed Electra BMX cruiser 1, 87 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 38 Posts
Still looking for my first Cresta.... enjoy that machine!
Old 02-16-20, 05:47 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Londonsworld
Still looking for my first Cresta...
I brought this one home today after finding it a couple of weeks ago on FB Marketplace, a Cresta GT. I did not immediately contact the seller, hoping it would go away quickly but it didn't. I gave it every chance to escape.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 02-17-20, 12:19 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by uprightbent
Here's my 84' 610, all dressed up after a complete tear down and rebuild. Loving it.

Nice Miyata! Question: I just put the same bottle cage and similar water bottle on my 1985 310 and the thing rattles like crazy. Does yours?

Last edited by polymorphself; 02-17-20 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-17-20, 03:02 PM
uprightbent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Nice Miyata! Question: I just put the same bottle cage and similar water bottle on my 1985 310 and the thing rattles like crazy. Does yours?

Thanks! I think I prefer the blue shade on yours better. Regarding the Kleen Kanteen noise, I removed the hook loop on the bamboo lid since it's likely the cause of the noise. It's a tight fit, so you'll need to spread it enough to avoid scratching the sides of the cap when you pull it off.
Besides that, I'd keep bending the cage until the bottle is reasonable snug in there, although the noise was probably from the cap loop.
Old 02-17-20, 03:05 PM
uprightbent

Thanks! I think I prefer the blue shade on yours better. Regarding the Kleen Kanteen noise, I removed the hook loop on the bamboo lid since it's likely the cause of the noise. It's a tight fit, so you'll need to spread it enough to avoid scratching the sides of the cap when you pull it off.
Besides that, I'd keep bending the cage until the bottle is reasonable snug in there, although the noise was probably from the cap loop.
Wait, just noticed you have the VO Modern cage. I had two of those originally. I love that design, but it does not keep the bottle firmly in place, allowing it bob up and down vertically. I switched back to their retro style cages with no rattling at all, since I could never get a heavy filled bottle to rest solidly in that Modern cage.
Old 02-17-20, 03:48 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I brought this one home today after finding it a couple of weeks ago on FB Marketplace, a Cresta GT. I did not immediately contact the seller, hoping it would go away quickly but it didn't. I gave it every chance to escape.
That's how I got an ‘83 Trek 720, waited two or three weeks before contacting the seller. I didnt need another bike (Ha! Almost said with a straight face!!) and it was priced... fairly.
Anyway, I gave it a fair shake to run off and she followed me home instead, must be true love!

(seat post slipped a bit, I promise it fits lol)
Old 02-17-20, 04:55 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Wait, just noticed you have the VO Modern cage. I had two of those originally. I love that design, but it does not keep the bottle firmly in place, allowing it bob up and down vertically. I switched back to their retro style cages with no rattling at all, since I could never get a heavy filled bottle to rest solidly in that Modern cage.
Wait, so, the one in. your photo is also modern, right? So you no longer use that one? And in my case taking the hook loop off probably won't help. Bummer! I like the look of this cage.

If I had to use another from them I'd prefer it be the course cage, no idea if that one will have the same issue though...

Last edited by polymorphself; 02-17-20 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-17-20, 05:02 PM
uprightbent

Originally Posted by polymorphself
Wait, so, the one in. your photo is also modern, right? So you no longer use that one? And in my case taking the hook loop off probably won't help. Bummer! I like the look of this cage.
Yes, I just realized the older photo showed that cage, which I also really liked. If you lift the bottle while it’s in the cage, you can feel how it’ll bob up and down.
I switched to the retro cages which hold them firmly, but still found it necessary to remove the noisy loops from the caps. Hope this helps.

i
Old 02-17-20, 05:39 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
Anyway, I gave it a fair shake to run off and she followed me home instead...
Mine was even troublesome for me and I nearly bailed a couple of times. The guy sounded like a flake and didn't/wouldn't answer questions. He lives two hours east and was driving to work at a place one hour west and could not be bothered to meet at the interstate exit three minutes from my house, and while driving to meet him at work there was a pileup on the highway that stalled me, and he chose a meeting place off a bypass through a town that had three approaches but not from the direction I was approaching from so I had to wander around town to find the place. I had to work for this one and probably should not have bought it, but what the hell.
Old 02-17-20, 09:00 PM
Smokinapankake

An embarrassment of riches, really. Round here we don’t get “choices” of multiple dedicated touring bikes. The choice is made for you, and that usually is not which nice touring bike to buy because they don’t exist! Been on the lookout for a blue and white Nishiki Cresta GT for years now with no luck. Sweet!
Old 02-18-20, 12:49 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
An embarrassment of riches, really. Round here we don’t get “choices” of multiple dedicated touring bikes. The choice is made for you, and that usually is not which nice touring bike to buy because they don’t exist! Been on the lookout for a blue and white Nishiki Cresta GT for years now with no luck. Sweet!
What size do you need? We can be on the lookout for you. Dedicated Craigslist and FB Marketplace mavens love to spend other people's money.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 02-19-20, 09:33 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts

Something I have done is put an old sock around the bottle to cushion the stainless steel kleen kanteen from the stainless bottle cage. YMMV
Likes For ryansu:
Old 02-20-20, 02:06 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 190 Posts
I was given my '90 Schwinn Voyageur by a relative who bought it new. He is shorter than me, and at 6'2 the 58CM Voyageur is too small for me so I had a difficult time getting it set up for a more comfortable ride. It is currently having Nitto Albatross bars installed with a Technomic stem as my homage to the the short-lived Raleigh Lenton Tourist, where Raleigh took their lightweight road frame, alloy components, and gave it a more upright posture for all-day tour riding (seen at Peter Kohler's website here https://www.sheldonbrown.com/retrora...ourist-50.html I have some cork grips from Rivendell with holes for the bar-end shifters that I'm going to shellac to match the brown Brooks. The bike is largely unchanged from stock apart from a new cassette, chain, and tires.

This is the bike last Spring. The proportions with a drop bar were not a great fit for my long legs and short torso. After I rode my big Peugeot, I realized how uncomfortable the Voyageur was and decided to make it into an all-day rider that I could tour with. I would LOVE to find another Voyageur or equivalent frame in my size of 60 or even 62cm though that might be a very French fit. I'd just switch the parts over. We'll see how the Albatross bars help, but I am going to keep an eye out for any opportunity to trade for a frame in my size. I'm not enamored with the colour, so it would be OK for it to move along.

Likes For Ged117:
Old 02-22-20, 10:06 PM
Smokinapankake

Originally Posted by thumpism
What size do you need? We can be on the lookout for you. Dedicated Craigslist and FB Marketplace mavens love to spend other people's money.
I’m somewhere around a 56; my mtb top tubes run 23”-ish and a seat tube around 19”-ish. I really should get a pro fit done to nail it down...

I have virtually zero miles on road bikes so sizing is something I need to spend time learning... and like everyone else, it would be a N+1 bike for me so it’s gotta be cheap to maintain peace at home- even if it is cheap the peace is precarious with regard to bikes.

but yeah, a Cresta GT in blue and white is very close to the top of my unicorn list.
Old 02-25-20, 03:55 PM
Egginahole
Perfect bike?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Update on my bike situation. The Raleigh has been taken apart and all the parts cleaned and polished. It's definitely to small for me, so it's going to get put back together and hopefully one of my friends will purchase this sweet ride.

I found and purchased an 25 inch 1983 Miyata 610. The 83 and 84 appear to be the same specs from what I can tell. This is all original, used condition. It works but all the consumables should be updated. Minimal rust a few rocks chips. Looks good, purchased for a fair price.

126mm rear spacing so modern 130 mm axle is no issue. The problem I'm trying to understand is the brakes with 700c wheels. Seems like many people make exceptions but I can't tell if the set up and performance is worth the hastle. I also can't tell what parts would be easy to source.

If no good options come up I guess I'm looking into modern 27inch wheels. Thanks to the few folks i sent direct messages on for specific feedback!

​​​​​​This bike is still assembled so I don't have the info on the bottom bracket sizing yet but I'm leaning towards something modern cartrige based and adding a couple gears.

Feel free to message any knowledge my way! the

Last edited by Egginahole; 02-25-20 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-25-20, 03:58 PM
Egginahole
Perfect bike?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Likes For Egginahole:
Old 02-25-20, 05:23 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

The Portage looks good. What's the frame size and standover height and (I can't believe I'm actually asking this) how much do you want for it? I hope it's too small. I just bought an '80s tourer that I have not ridden yet that is also 27" so I'm looking to fit 700C wheels and am going through the canti pile to see if I have anything with short enough reach to make that work. I have some oddball stuff like Paul's, Onza and Curve that might work.
Old 02-25-20, 05:46 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Man that is a clean 610!! I wish my '84 had been that clean (paint-wise), because I wouldn't have powder coated it. Mr. Egg and I have been going back and forth on things, and I realize yet another thread of mine has had its images removed as it was the hosting-era of BF as opposed to the era of uploading from your computer (now). Since I am totally not at work right now and have no access to my library of photos of my 610, I will share the only one that's on hand (thankfully).

700C wheels (Vuelta Corsa Lites), 32mm tires, Shimano CT91 cantis in black (IIRC), compact crankset (50/34T), 11-36T 10-speed casette, 7900 Dura-Ace shifters, XT RD, newer Sroa/105 FD, quill stem conversion.
Old 02-25-20, 10:36 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Update on my bike situation. The Raleigh has been taken apart and all the parts cleaned and polished. It's definitely to small for me, so it's going to get put back together and hopefully one of my friends will purchase this sweet ride.

I found and purchased an 25 inch 1983 Miyata 610. The 83 and 84 appear to be the same specs from what I can tell. This is all original, used condition. It works but all the consumables should be updated. Minimal rust a few rocks chips. Looks good, purchased for a fair price.

126mm rear spacing so modern 130 mm axle is no issue. The problem I'm trying to understand is the brakes with 700c wheels. Seems like many people make exceptions but I can't tell if the set up and performance is worth the hastle. I also can't tell what parts would be easy to source.

If no good options come up I guess I'm looking into modern 27inch wheels. Thanks to the few folks i sent direct messages on for specific feedback!

​​​​​​This bike is still assembled so I don't have the info on the bottom bracket sizing yet but I'm leaning towards something modern cartrige based and adding a couple gears.

Feel free to message any knowledge my way! the
My 1982 Miyata 1000 used to have 27 inch wheels until I swapped them for 700c wheels. The brakes I used were Shimano MT-60 canti's and they had enough reach to go from 27 inch to 700c without any issue.