Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Seattle To Portland--What To Take?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 12:01 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts

Hey, guys. Doing this ride in July and it has been quite awhile since I did a longish couple of days ride. I will be doing the 2-day option, 206ish miles total. What should I take exactly? Obviously, tubes, pump (I actually generally use CO2--will this still work on this sort of trip?). Bike is a 2018 BMC SLR02 with 105, extremely well-maintained. Immaculate, really.

I don't really think there are any mechanics along for this ride able to help riders, unlike, say, Cycle Oregon and some other big rides--could be wrong about that, but I think I have that right. So, I need to be prepared. Don't think there will be access to a bike shop along most of the route, which will largely be little bitty towns and middle-of-nowhere.

Not knowing much, my plan was just to take a chain and tubes. But please let me know if there is something more you think I should carry.

Thanks a million!!!!
Old 03-02-20, 12:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Are you camping, or staying in a hotel? (If hotel, so you doesn't have a reservation?)
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-02-20, 12:40 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I don't think that I'd really alter my normal flat/mechanical kit - I mean, you're really just looking at back-to-back centuries. I don't say that in an attempt to diminish the accomplishment, just that it's not *that* much more likely that all hell is going to break loose vs a typical ride. Extra chain? No way - make sure that you have an extra quick link and a chainbreaker in your tool roll/bag and call it good. Extra tube? Sure. Something to use as a boot? Yeah, but you should have that, anyway.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-02-20, 01:31 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Some small bills to pay/donate to the various roadside stands. A spare tire if you don't want a large gash to be the end of the trip for you. One guy I rode partway with last year had repeated flats and fell behind; we don't know why, but it's possible his tire might have had something stuck inside or was just too old. There is usually a mechanic at the major rest stops, so he might have bought a replacement tire at a stop?

I found a battery pack useful to keep my Garmin charged when I did the 1-day. A small one was more than adequate. You may want a larger capacity to keep your cell phone charged if you don't have it on airplane mode/battery saver.

There was only free sunscreen at the first rest stop last year. If it's a sunny weekend, you'll need to reapply multiple times as you sweat it off, so bring some tubes of it with you if you're concerned about UV. I wore sun sleeves and sun knees so didn't need too much sunscreen, but the sleeves were slightly short and slipped down one arm, and I still have a weird dark sliver where there was a gap between it and my jersey sleeve.
Likes For surak:
Old 03-02-20, 01:44 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
i wouldn't pack anything extra that I don't pack on every ride. Flat kit (CO2, tire plug, tube, lever, dollar bill for a tire boot), multitool. Save for a gnarly crash, I can't see needing anything else.

Riding all of the miles in two days isn't any more strenuous on your bike than riding all of those miles spread out over a week or more.
Old 03-02-20, 02:26 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
A chain? What in the wide, wide world of sports? I once rode across the country with 12 other people. Represented more than 44,000 bike miles in 93 days. Not one chain problem. And that was totally self-contained. Moreover, you say your bike is "immaculate."

BTW...If you look at the website closely there does appear to be mechanical support at the stops.

From the FAQ:"What if I can’t make it to Portland? Will STP support vehicles give me a ride home or to the finish line?
No. The support vehicles are on the road to provide emergency services to those riders in need. They will transport stranded riders to the nearest STP food stop or mini stop for mechanical or medical assistance. If the rider is unable to continue, he or she will need to make their own arrangements to get to their final destination." (Emphasis added.)

They are not going to hold an event with 8,000 riders and not have mechanical support. Bring flat-changing stuff, a spoke wrench and maybe a multi-tool. And appropriate clothing.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-02-20, 03:49 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Chamois cream, a way to wash your bibs/shorts? A second pair? Your bike will be fine but will your butt be?
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-02-20, 04:18 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts

I can confirm there is fine mechanical support at all the rest stops.

I did the one-day ride... my only mechanical issue was when my handlebars rotated in the stem when I hit a pot hole - I probably didn't tighten up the bolts good enough after the airplane suitcase.
BTW - you can't take CO2 on the airplane - checked or carry on. Plan on buying it there and leaving it there.
I brought extra Ibuprofen and Icy Hot and E-Caps. No changes to my normal fix-it kit.

Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 03-02-20, 04:59 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Are you camping, or staying in a hotel? (If hotel, so you doesn't have a reservation?)
I had planned on camping with everyone else in Centralia. Is that a bad option?
Old 03-02-20, 05:06 PM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
Very cool! Reading this as someone who would like to participate this year. Longest ride I've done so far is the Gran Forte last year to Whistler from Vancouver.

BP have you ever done this before?
Likes For GnipGnop:
Old 03-02-20, 05:59 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I’ve only done STP in a single day. It’s only 202.9 miles and mostly flat, there are no notable climbs. Flat repair kit, CO2, two tubes, and multi-tool are the most you will need. You don’t need a chain. I usually bring a simple first aid kit and hand sanitizer wipes too. You will need a wind breaker and knee warmers as the morning is cold, but usually it is very warm in Portland. Bring money in small bills, there are bike shops in many of the towns and mechanical support at most of the major rest points and smaller rest stops have free water but other snacks will cost a dollar or two (fund raising for local schools).

If you’re looking for a party atmosphere and not sleeping much then stop at Centralia, each time I rode through before noon and it already looked like a zoo, also it is, mileage wise, not quite halfway (like 95th mile or something like that). If you’re doing it in two days I would consider riding a bit further the first day to Napavine and having an bit easier second day without the large crowds. Also, the first big rest stop out of Seattle is nuts too, try to keep riding past to the next one if you can otherwise you’ll be stuck there for at least 30 min standing in line.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 03-03-20, 07:19 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I did STP last year - loved it.

I rented a bike since I was flying in from Maryland and brought my seat and my usual saddle bag with usual tools, etc. No real need for anything more, and there are mechanics at the official rest stops, as well as a few roaming mechanics on bikes. If you are flying, they didn't notice my CO2 cartridges on the way out but getting through security at Portalnd on the way back they took them away.

One thing: check your water bottles and cages. There was an amazing amount of water bottles flying off bikes at some of the bumpy spots, never seen that on even the biggest mass rides I've done!

It was the best supported mass ride I've ever done.
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 03-03-20, 11:41 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I've ridden the 1-day a number of times. My list for a 2-day would be:
Complete change of basic bike clothes and spare gloves.
Check the weather the evening before. There have been STPs when it rained the whole way. Be prepared for that if necessary.
Chamois cream
I bring a fair bit of my own food on the bike. I remember eating a rest-stop muffin, paper cup and all, in Chehalis.
It's a pretty good idea to ride more than 100 the first day. You may not feel that great the next day.
My saddle bag always has a spare tire, 2 tubes, a patch and boot kit, quick links, and a good multi-tool. I don't bring anything more.
Your ride packet will have a lot of good info.
Old 03-03-20, 11:59 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
You've gotten much good advice so far, and I echo it.

I did the one-day STP in 2008, and carried my standard kit in a saddle bag. The only thing I forgot was money. I didn't realize that many of the SAG stops were actually put on by local entities (e.g., school groups, teams, fraternal organizations, etc) who provided food and drinks for donations - and so I was a free rider.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-03-20, 12:32 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by GnipGnop
Very cool! Reading this as someone who would like to participate this year. Longest ride I've done so far is the Gran Forte last year to Whistler from Vancouver.

BP have you ever done this before?
Nope. I have done a fair bit of road riding in both states from teenagehood, but never this one.
Old 03-03-20, 12:35 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
I’ve only done STP in a single day. It’s only 202.9 miles and mostly flat, there are no notable climbs. Flat repair kit, CO2, two tubes, and multi-tool are the most you will need. You don’t need a chain. I usually bring a simple first aid kit and hand sanitizer wipes too. You will need a wind breaker and knee warmers as the morning is cold, but usually it is very warm in Portland. Bring money in small bills, there are bike shops in many of the towns and mechanical support at most of the major rest points and smaller rest stops have free water but other snacks will cost a dollar or two (fund raising for local schools).

If you’re looking for a party atmosphere and not sleeping much then stop at Centralia, each time I rode through before noon and it already looked like a zoo, also it is, mileage wise, not quite halfway (like 95th mile or something like that). If you’re doing it in two days I would consider riding a bit further the first day to Napavine and having an bit easier second day without the large crowds. Also, the first big rest stop out of Seattle is nuts too, try to keep riding past to the next one if you can otherwise you’ll be stuck there for at least 30 min standing in line.
Very helpful--thanks. Is there a place to set up a little tent in Napavine that won't pi** off the local constabulary?
Old 03-03-20, 03:03 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
are you prepared for a broken spoke & wheel that goes so far out of true that it rubs the frame enough to prevent forward progress? that's what I would think about. I'd research all the possible bike shops / repair options along the route & carry the list with me. searching while on the side of the road is brutal. got a ride share membership just in case you need a ride? got AAA? they help cyclists too
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-03-20, 04:22 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
I did STP last year - loved it.

I rented a bike since I was flying in from Maryland and brought my seat and my usual saddle bag with usual tools, etc. No real need for anything more, and there are mechanics at the official rest stops, as well as a few roaming mechanics on bikes. If you are flying, they didn't notice my CO2 cartridges on the way out but getting through security at Portalnd on the way back they took them away.

One thing: check your water bottles and cages. There was an amazing amount of water bottles flying off bikes at some of the bumpy spots, never seen that on even the biggest mass rides I've done!

It was the best supported mass ride I've ever done.
Your bottles comment is right on. Not only that, but you'll be riding with some of the least prepared and stupidest riders you've ever seen. Take much greater care than usual. Try to sort of stand back and watch it happen so that you're far enough back that it does't include you. This is much, much worse for the 2 day riders but it's still seen on the 1-day, but mostly before Centralia in the shape of folks with very little experience who ride their first day as fast as they can and get up there with the 1-day folks. I wish they'd put an extra 1/2 hour between the 1-day and 2-day riders. I've had guys on tri-bikes move into a line in front of me. I was out of the saddle and out of there. I never saw anything weird after Centralia. Ride extra smart.

And all that said, the earlier you start and the faster you go (safely) for the first 20 miles, the better a ride you'll have. Usual advice is start slow, but that just gets you back with those folks you don't want to be with. So I always go pretty hard at first and then wait for a paceline of good riders to go by about 2 mph faster than I am, and then not stop in the first 50 miles. Of course you have to be fit enough to do that. My guess is that the 2nd day isn't like that, but the earlier you depart, the better.
Old 03-03-20, 04:39 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
are you prepared for a broken spoke & wheel that goes so far out of true that it rubs the frame enough to prevent forward progress? that's what I would think about. I'd research all the possible bike shops / repair options along the route & carry the list with me. searching while on the side of the road is brutal. got a ride share membership just in case you need a ride? got AAA? they help cyclists too
I'm good with tires and chains and most of the basics, but I do not know how to work with spokes. Certainly never personally built a wheel, that's for sure. Guess I better do some research. Great suggestion to make that list of bike shops--thanks a million for that! I'll carry it with me. I don't drive, so no triple-A for me at the moment. But a good thought...
Old 03-03-20, 04:46 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Your bottles comment is right on. Not only that, but you'll be riding with some of the least prepared and stupidest riders you've ever seen. Take much greater care than usual. Try to sort of stand back and watch it happen so that you're far enough back that it does't include you. This is much, much worse for the 2 day riders but it's still seen on the 1-day, but mostly before Centralia in the shape of folks with very little experience who ride their first day as fast as they can and get up there with the 1-day folks. I wish they'd put an extra 1/2 hour between the 1-day and 2-day riders. I've had guys on tri-bikes move into a line in front of me. I was out of the saddle and out of there. I never saw anything weird after Centralia. Ride extra smart.

And all that said, the earlier you start and the faster you go (safely) for the first 20 miles, the better a ride you'll have. Usual advice is start slow, but that just gets you back with those folks you don't want to be with. So I always go pretty hard at first and then wait for a paceline of good riders to go by about 2 mph faster than I am, and then not stop in the first 50 miles. Of course you have to be fit enough to do that. My guess is that the 2nd day isn't like that, but the earlier you depart, the better.
My plan was to do what I used to do when I ran ultras--go out much slower than I think I need to be going, then be strong at the finish. But if it's just a complete cluster for 20 miles, maybe I should try to push a little. But that's easy to practice for if I start now. I'm already able to do 100 miles at this point, it's just that second day that I need to really work on--I think.
Old 03-04-20, 06:54 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I started pretty close to the earliest time for 2 day riders - it was pretty much the usual mass start cluster-f. Not as bad as some local centuries, actually. The first few miles cyclists own the roads so you can spread out. A few miles in you hit a right turn and a short uphill - lots of chain droppers and slow downs - that served to spread things out.

I was feeling good and skipped the first official food/rest stop because it was at less than 20 miles - didn't stop until the next semi-major rest stop at 40 miles. That helped spread things out.

Over the two days (I did 122 miles the first day, stopping at Winlock and the world's largest egg...) the biggest danger was the pacelines that never bothered swinging much to the left, let alone giving out an "on your left" - the casual riders were actually way safer than the high end bikers/pace lines. By going past Centralia on day 1, on day 2 you are ahead of the big bulge of two day riders. On problem though: the big food stop south of Winlock (I forget the town, it is at a high school) doesn't open until a certain time (8am?) so I got there early and had to wait, which allowed some of the Centralia bulge to catch up. But it was still all spread out the rest of the way back.
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 03-04-20, 10:37 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I'm good with tires and chains and most of the basics, but I do not know how to work with spokes. Certainly never personally built a wheel, that's for sure. Guess I better do some research. Great suggestion to make that list of bike shops--thanks a million for that! I'll carry it with me. I don't drive, so no triple-A for me at the moment. But a good thought...
I only added that cuz I've broken spokes & have had to get bailed out either by my Daughter or a taxi ... & other times been on the side of the road with an issue I couldn't resolve myself, to my satisfaction & wanted a pro, in a shop, to help me. after reading more from others, if this is a supported ride, you have a lot less to worry about because you won't be alone!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-04-20, 02:30 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy

This. Follow the tandems until you hit the first hill by seward
Likes For redlude97:
Old 03-04-20, 03:21 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Very helpful--thanks. Is there a place to set up a little tent in Napavine that won't pi** off the local constabulary?
I see lots of folks setting up tents along the way in parks in some of the smaller towns but I would check with the Cascade cycling club or the STP website to find out what is allowed and where the bag drop sites are located.

I started with the 1 day at 4:45am, it was dark and pretty dense with cyclists already, it took about 10-15 miles before it kind of opened up so I take it easy for the first hour or so and kind of ride with the flow as much as possible before kicking it up to my preferred pace. As usual with any mass start you have your share of folks who seem a bit clueless and definitely not watching out for your safety. Don’t assume that people will be calling out road obstacles, passing, or slowing warnings.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 03-06-20, 01:44 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I would stay away from pacelines all together. There are a lot of fit people who never ride with anybody and are just as dangerous as the slower rider who never rides with anybody. Problem with a 7+ person paceline is that if somebody up front pulls a Fred, everyone is probably hitting the deck. Ride defensive and only with people you know.
Likes For colnago62:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.