Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post an example of an UNuseless bike invention...(Chindogu in Japanese)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post an example of an UNuseless bike invention...(Chindogu in Japanese)

Old 03-03-20, 04:38 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 152 Posts
An Organic Roomba?
Originally Posted by squirtdad View Post
ok so this is one based on my understanding

Old 03-03-20, 05:26 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Location: Ascending or Descending the NH Mountains NW of Concord!

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
It has been quite windy here for the past few weeks (the winds actually had names), and I've been thinking of getting one of these, as my Zippo just ain't cutting it:

IIRC, Bianchigirll posted a picture years ago of one she had made or was using back in the day when smoking was considered glamourous and healthy!

Seeing machinist42 post means I have to include the high-end version of Shimano Adamas AX in this silly diversion. Dura Ace AX mounted to high end aero tubing!

Visit my websites:
FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com
Old 03-03-20, 08:47 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: Miele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno SL, Miele MTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 446 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh View Post
IIRC, Bianchigirll posted a picture years ago of one she had made or was using back in the day when smoking was considered glamourous and healthy!

Seeing machinist42 post means I have to include the high-end version of Shimano Adamas AX in this silly diversion. Dura Ace AX mounted to high end aero tubing!

I loved my Dura Ace AX equipped Aero Tubing Velo Sport back in the around 1985. So much so that I finally broke down and bought another Dura Ace AX groupset a couple of years a go. Everything works well including the brakes that sop the bike quite satisfactorily when needed. I still love it.

Cheers
Old 03-03-20, 08:48 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: Miele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno SL, Miele MTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 446 Times in 308 Posts
Actually, thinking about it. If something is useless and then you add 'un' in front of useless you now have useful.

Cheers
Old 03-04-20, 06:50 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2051 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 192 Posts
Searching for chindogu indeed had me on the floor in stitches. I think the baby/dustmop is perhaps my favorite.

Cmon now. We are ignoring perhaps the most obvious one of all. Hetchins and their curly stays.

Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 03-04-20, 06:57 PM
crank_addict

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine View Post
I nominate the NuVinci continuously variable transmission hub, because it's ridiculous and unnecessary, but also admirable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NuVinc...e_Transmission
Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
I rode a bike with one not that long ago. It was interesting and annoying at the same time!
Sums it up for me. Had a few hours riding an Origin 8 fatbike with this hub. At first, interesting. Then it became oddly, annoying. Lol
Old 03-04-20, 11:43 PM
cheffyjay

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Davidson, Miyata 912, Le Jeune, Klein Rascal, Rocky Mountain Element Race, AMP Research B3, B4, B5, PX10,Holdsworth, Schwinn Paramount, Bontrager OR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
you might like @bike_crap on instagram. I hadn't seen the Suntour S-1 chainstay mounted derailleur and the 'criss cross' levers. he's collected many terrible answers to bicycle 'problems' that were already well solved.
Old 03-05-20, 10:03 AM
crank_addict

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 241 Posts
Coming soon from the MTB fashion scene, super long platform pedals. Out goes clipless (sez its causing more of a risk hazard on crashing) and the new boasting is safer but mostly about efficiency and distribution of pressure.

Like disc brakes and tubeless tires, only a matter of time when these shin gashers will trickle down to road bikes. Surely look bloody safe to me ;")

Last edited by crank_addict; 03-05-20 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-05-20, 01:02 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict View Post
the new boasting is safer but mostly about efficiency and distribution of pressure.
Huh, I'm not sure I understand the MTB industrys logic there, a flat pedal is more efficient than a clipless? With my clipless shoes the whole sole is stiff, and I can pull up a bit for sprints, and my foot is always placed perfectly in relation to the pedal axle.

As an ex BMX rat, I can ride flats plenty well, my favorite joke is to bunnyhop higher with work boots on my clipless pedals (not clipped in) than my buddys can with their flats and proper MTB shoes on, it gives them no room to throw the stupid argument at me about "uNsKilLeD rIdERs nEed cLIplEsS PedaLS tO kEEp thEiR FeET iN PlAcE!"
Old 03-05-20, 01:26 PM
SurferRosa

Bikes: old school 531c & campy

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked 604 Times in 359 Posts
^ Those pedals are are actually quite useful for your Frankenbike ... literally.
Old 03-05-20, 02:04 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2051 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict View Post
Coming soon from the MTB fashion scene, super long platform pedals. Out goes clipless (sez its causing more of a risk hazard on crashing) and the new boasting is safer but mostly about efficiency and distribution of pressure.

Like disc brakes and tubeless tires, only a matter of time when these shin gashers will trickle down to road bikes. Surely look bloody safe to me ;")

Chindogu would be CPSC style tiny little plastic covers for those spikes, to make them safe.
Old 03-07-20, 09:27 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 '85 Miyata 710, 86 Miyata 710, 91 Cannondale ST600, 84 Trek 610, 520, 620, 91 Miyata 1000LT, a few frames, some odds and ends....

Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 113 Posts