Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

NYC->Cape Cod via public transport?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 03-13-20, 09:26 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts

Over the summer I’d like to take trains or a bus from New York to Cape Cod, if that’s possible...

From the searching I’ve done it seems we could pack bikes as if for shipping, disassembled, and put them on a bus as luggage, but we’d obviously prefer to ride to a train or bus station, load up, and then disembark and ride around the Cape.

Has anyone done this?
Old 03-13-20, 09:29 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
You could AMTRAK to Boston, then catch the ferry to Provincetown and west from there.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-14-20, 05:50 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
BoltBus goes from NY to Boston. You don't have to dismantle your bike. When I took BoltBus (on a different route), passengers with bikes loaded and unloaded their own bikes. It was very simple.
Likes For axolotl:
Old 03-14-20, 06:40 AM
Lanesplitter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
The fast ferry to the Cape is phenomenal, but somewhat expensive, though there is a bus company called Plymouth and Brockton that goes to the Cape from Boston. They're the only one that goes there, far as I know. I don't know what their bike policy is, however. Most likely, they need to be boxed, although often with buses, the driver has some latitude, so friendliness goes a long way.

To get to Boston, you could take the Amtrak, which does allow roll-on service these days. Another bus company called Peter Pan goes from NYC to Boston, but I'm sure it has to be boxed up.

Hope you have a great trip! The Cape is one of the best places to ride in the country with its bike trail network and staggering beauty. I've spent significant time riding there, so if you have questions, feel free to ask. I could talk about the Cape all day.

Cheers

Edit:I just looked up the prices and bike policy for Plymouth and Brockton. They do not require bikes to be boxed! It costs $48 round trip including the bike, while the ferry is $106.

Last edited by Lanesplitter; 03-14-20 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-14-20, 07:27 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanesplitter
The fast ferry to the Cape is phenomenal, but somewhat expensive, though there is a bus company called Plymouth and Brockton that goes to the Cape from Boston. They're the only one that goes there, far as I know. I don't know what their bike policy is, however. Most likely, they need to be boxed, although often with buses, the driver has some latitude, so friendliness goes a long way.

To get to Boston, you could take the Amtrak, which does allow roll-on service these days. Another bus company called Peter Pan goes from NYC to Boston, but I'm sure it has to be boxed up.

Hope you have a great trip! The Cape is one of the best places to ride in the country with its bike trail network and staggering beauty. I've spent significant time riding there, so if you have questions, feel free to ask. I could talk about the Cape all day.

Cheers

Edit:I just looked up the prices and bike policy for Plymouth and Brockton. They do not require bikes to be boxed! It costs $48 round trip including the bike, while the ferry is $106.
I have posted about another enjoyable bus service between New York City and Boston:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
FYA, @Roody, there is a luxury bus service between Boston and New York City, known as the LimoLiner, even nicer than Amtrak, with all kinds of amenities, for $89, one way.

In particular it has large sight-seeing, clean windows for viewing as it passes through the length of Manhattan (and not the ”backyard”). Railroads are said to travel through America’s backyards. [BUT]:
We regret to inform you that due to financial reasons, LimoLiner has ceased all business operations as of December 30, 2019.

We would like to thank all of our loyal customers over the past 16 years, and we are very sorry to end service. Please direct any questions to us at info@LimoLiner,com

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-14-20 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-14-20, 11:12 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
You can take the commuter train out bound from Boston, off hours. That would be Am and not pm rush hour, at least week days. Get you to Kingston. Pedal from there? Miles Standish SF is a good stop. There is one bridge you can " ride" across. 2 ' high, traffic very close with trucks pushing a lot of air coming at you. Took me a bit. Then the service road after that. Just a thought. Just read the rules, regs and hours carefully for the MBTA commuter line.
Old 03-14-20, 11:59 AM
Lanesplitter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
You can take the commuter train out bound from Boston, off hours. That would be Am and not pm rush hour, at least week days. Get you to Kingston. Pedal from there? Miles Standish SF is a good stop. There is one bridge you can " ride" across. 2 ' high, traffic very close with trucks pushing a lot of air coming at you. Took me a bit. Then the service road after that. Just a thought. Just read the rules, regs and hours carefully for the MBTA commuter line.
This is a good idea but much depends on where on the cape you're trying to get to. The Miles Standish SF is wonderful. It has the largest intact pine barens in the country. From there to the Bourne Bridge is a good ride, except the last several miles, because it's so busy. Once you cross, really the only tenable way is to go south towards Martha's Vineyard. A bike trail gets you most of the way. From there you can take mostly back roads to Harwich for the CCRT.

To get to the CCRT using 6A is terrible. No shoulder and super busy with aggressive, impatient drivers. I'd be nice if there was a shoulder on this route, because it has some of the oldest structures in the country. I've ridden it twice, but both times I had an awful experience.
Old 03-14-20, 12:40 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
What about ferries? You could ride East on LI to Port Jefferson, or on to Orient Point. Port Jeff ferry goes to New London and you could ride from there. There are also ferries between RI and Block Island and Martha's Vinyard and between Martha's Vinyard and Woods Hole. Block and MVY also have lovely riding. Ferries are roll on/roll off, with no need to unpack. With a little planning, you could probably make a loop out of it. P'town to Boston is also served by ferry, IIRC; surely you could pick up a train there back to NYC.
Good luck
Old 03-15-20, 09:14 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
This is a good idea but much depends on where on the cape you're trying to get to. The Miles Standish SF is wonderful. It has the largest intact pine barens in the country. From there to the Bourne Bridge is a good ride, except the last several miles, because it's so busy. Once you cross, really the only tenable way is to go south towards Martha's Vineyard. A bike trail gets you most of the way. From there you can take mostly back roads to Harwich for the CCRT.

To get to the CCRT using 6A is terrible. No shoulder and super busy with aggressive, impatient drivers. I'd be nice if there was a shoulder on this route, because it has some of the oldest structures in the country. I've ridden it twice, but both times I had an awful experience.
I took the service road form rt 130 to rt 132, goes right next to rt 6, seemed to be low traffic when I was there. A "few" hills.
Old 03-15-20, 10:07 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
To get to Boston, you could take the Amtrak, which does allow roll-on service these days.
Only on very few trains, for example when I look on a random weekday in May only the 2:40 am - 7:58 am Northeast Regional, and then only a limited number with specific add-on reservation.

The majority of trains in the northeast don't even allow ordinary checked baggage.

What generally does allow bikes are commuter trains, but you can't do NYC to Boston on those since there's no commuter service between New London and Providence or Springfield and Boston.
Old 03-15-20, 02:43 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

This is a lot of what I found, especially the 2am roll on service... 🙄

This is a trip for two, and with the virus going on, having driven my classes to “remote viewing,” and my wife’s engagements being mostly canceled I’m wondering if it might not be a bad idea to get out of New York proper for a few weeks.

My dad lives in Buttermilk Bay, just before the Bourne Bridge, on the mainland side. Other options are more family in Brewster.

My wife may want to stay in the city, we have more space in our apartment here than in my fathers Cape house, it’s not officially a “tiny house” but it’s really sized for no more than 2 people.
Old 03-15-20, 02:52 PM
Chr0m0ly 

...the New York to Martha’s Vineyard ferry doesn’t start up till the end of May, but they do take bicycles for 20 fee, 30 round trip.