Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

NYC->Cape Cod via public transport?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

NYC->Cape Cod via public transport?

Old 03-13-20, 09:26 PM
  #1  
Chr0m0ly 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Chr0m0ly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hamilton Heights, Manhattan, New York, NY
Posts: 1,489

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 '85 Miyata 710, ‘86 Miyata 710, ‘91 Cannondale ST600, ‘84 Trek 610, 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, a few frames, some odds and ends....

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 116 Posts
NYC->Cape Cod via public transport?

Over the summer I’d like to take trains or a bus from New York to Cape Cod, if that’s possible...

From the searching I’ve done it seems we could pack bikes as if for shipping, disassembled, and put them on a bus as luggage, but we’d obviously prefer to ride to a train or bus station, load up, and then disembark and ride around the Cape.

Has anyone done this?
Chr0m0ly is offline  
Old 03-13-20, 09:29 PM
  #2  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 4,184

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts
You could AMTRAK to Boston, then catch the ferry to Provincetown and west from there.
Steve B. is online now  
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-14-20, 05:50 AM
  #3  
axolotl
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,841
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
BoltBus goes from NY to Boston. You don't have to dismantle your bike. When I took BoltBus (on a different route), passengers with bikes loaded and unloaded their own bikes. It was very simple.
axolotl is offline  
Likes For axolotl:
Old 03-14-20, 06:40 AM
  #4  
Lanesplitter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
The fast ferry to the Cape is phenomenal, but somewhat expensive, though there is a bus company called Plymouth and Brockton that goes to the Cape from Boston. They're the only one that goes there, far as I know. I don't know what their bike policy is, however. Most likely, they need to be boxed, although often with buses, the driver has some latitude, so friendliness goes a long way.

To get to Boston, you could take the Amtrak, which does allow roll-on service these days. Another bus company called Peter Pan goes from NYC to Boston, but I'm sure it has to be boxed up.

Hope you have a great trip! The Cape is one of the best places to ride in the country with its bike trail network and staggering beauty. I've spent significant time riding there, so if you have questions, feel free to ask. I could talk about the Cape all day.

Cheers

Edit:I just looked up the prices and bike policy for Plymouth and Brockton. They do not require bikes to be boxed! It costs $48 round trip including the bike, while the ferry is $106.

Last edited by Lanesplitter; 03-14-20 at 07:12 AM.
Lanesplitter is offline  
Old 03-14-20, 07:27 AM
  #5  
Jim from Boston
Senior Member
 
Jim from Boston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,329
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanesplitter View Post
The fast ferry to the Cape is phenomenal, but somewhat expensive, though there is a bus company called Plymouth and Brockton that goes to the Cape from Boston. They're the only one that goes there, far as I know. I don't know what their bike policy is, however. Most likely, they need to be boxed, although often with buses, the driver has some latitude, so friendliness goes a long way.

To get to Boston, you could take the Amtrak, which does allow roll-on service these days. Another bus company called Peter Pan goes from NYC to Boston, but I'm sure it has to be boxed up.

Hope you have a great trip! The Cape is one of the best places to ride in the country with its bike trail network and staggering beauty. I've spent significant time riding there, so if you have questions, feel free to ask. I could talk about the Cape all day.

Cheers

Edit:I just looked up the prices and bike policy for Plymouth and Brockton. They do not require bikes to be boxed! It costs $48 round trip including the bike, while the ferry is $106.
I have posted about another enjoyable bus service between New York City and Boston:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
FYA, @Roody, there is a luxury bus service between Boston and New York City, known as the LimoLiner, even nicer than Amtrak, with all kinds of amenities, for $89, one way.

In particular it has large sight-seeing, clean windows for viewing as it passes through the length of Manhattan (and not the ”backyard”). Railroads are said to travel through America’s backyards. [BUT]:
We regret to inform you that due to financial reasons, LimoLiner has ceased all business operations as of December 30, 2019.

We would like to thank all of our loyal customers over the past 16 years, and we are very sorry to end service. Please direct any questions to us at info@LimoLiner,com

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-14-20 at 07:38 AM.
Jim from Boston is offline  
Old 03-14-20, 11:12 AM
  #6  
Leebo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 5,652

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 50 Posts
You can take the commuter train out bound from Boston, off hours. That would be Am and not pm rush hour, at least week days. Get you to Kingston. Pedal from there? Miles Standish SF is a good stop. There is one bridge you can " ride" across. 2 ' high, traffic very close with trucks pushing a lot of air coming at you. Took me a bit. Then the service road after that. Just a thought. Just read the rules, regs and hours carefully for the MBTA commuter line.
Leebo is offline  
Old 03-14-20, 11:59 AM
  #7  
Lanesplitter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
You can take the commuter train out bound from Boston, off hours. That would be Am and not pm rush hour, at least week days. Get you to Kingston. Pedal from there? Miles Standish SF is a good stop. There is one bridge you can " ride" across. 2 ' high, traffic very close with trucks pushing a lot of air coming at you. Took me a bit. Then the service road after that. Just a thought. Just read the rules, regs and hours carefully for the MBTA commuter line.
This is a good idea but much depends on where on the cape you're trying to get to. The Miles Standish SF is wonderful. It has the largest intact pine barens in the country. From there to the Bourne Bridge is a good ride, except the last several miles, because it's so busy. Once you cross, really the only tenable way is to go south towards Martha's Vineyard. A bike trail gets you most of the way. From there you can take mostly back roads to Harwich for the CCRT.

To get to the CCRT using 6A is terrible. No shoulder and super busy with aggressive, impatient drivers. I'd be nice if there was a shoulder on this route, because it has some of the oldest structures in the country. I've ridden it twice, but both times I had an awful experience.
Lanesplitter is offline  
Old 03-14-20, 12:40 PM
  #8  
Pratt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 42 Times in 25 Posts
What about ferries? You could ride East on LI to Port Jefferson, or on to Orient Point. Port Jeff ferry goes to New London and you could ride from there. There are also ferries between RI and Block Island and Martha's Vinyard and between Martha's Vinyard and Woods Hole. Block and MVY also have lovely riding. Ferries are roll on/roll off, with no need to unpack. With a little planning, you could probably make a loop out of it. P'town to Boston is also served by ferry, IIRC; surely you could pick up a train there back to NYC.
Good luck
Pratt is offline  
Old 03-15-20, 09:14 AM
  #9  
Leebo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 5,652

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanesplitter View Post
This is a good idea but much depends on where on the cape you're trying to get to. The Miles Standish SF is wonderful. It has the largest intact pine barens in the country. From there to the Bourne Bridge is a good ride, except the last several miles, because it's so busy. Once you cross, really the only tenable way is to go south towards Martha's Vineyard. A bike trail gets you most of the way. From there you can take mostly back roads to Harwich for the CCRT.

To get to the CCRT using 6A is terrible. No shoulder and super busy with aggressive, impatient drivers. I'd be nice if there was a shoulder on this route, because it has some of the oldest structures in the country. I've ridden it twice, but both times I had an awful experience.
I took the service road form rt 130 to rt 132, goes right next to rt 6, seemed to be low traffic when I was there. A "few" hills.
Leebo is offline  
Old 03-15-20, 10:07 AM
  #10  
UniChris
Senior Member
 
UniChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,026

Bikes: 36" Unicycle

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanesplitter View Post
To get to Boston, you could take the Amtrak, which does allow roll-on service these days.
Only on very few trains, for example when I look on a random weekday in May only the 2:40 am - 7:58 am Northeast Regional, and then only a limited number with specific add-on reservation.

The majority of trains in the northeast don't even allow ordinary checked baggage.

What generally does allow bikes are commuter trains, but you can't do NYC to Boston on those since there's no commuter service between New London and Providence or Springfield and Boston.
UniChris is offline  
Old 03-15-20, 02:43 PM
  #11  
Chr0m0ly 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Chr0m0ly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hamilton Heights, Manhattan, New York, NY
Posts: 1,489

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 '85 Miyata 710, ‘86 Miyata 710, ‘91 Cannondale ST600, ‘84 Trek 610, 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, a few frames, some odds and ends....

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 116 Posts
This is a lot of what I found, especially the 2am roll on service... 🙄

This is a trip for two, and with the virus going on, having driven my classes to “remote viewing,” and my wife’s engagements being mostly canceled I’m wondering if it might not be a bad idea to get out of New York proper for a few weeks.

My dad lives in Buttermilk Bay, just before the Bourne Bridge, on the mainland side. Other options are more family in Brewster.

My wife may want to stay in the city, we have more space in our apartment here than in my fathers Cape house, it’s not officially a “tiny house” but it’s really sized for no more than 2 people.
Chr0m0ly is offline  
Old 03-15-20, 02:52 PM
  #12  
Chr0m0ly 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Chr0m0ly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hamilton Heights, Manhattan, New York, NY
Posts: 1,489

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 '85 Miyata 710, ‘86 Miyata 710, ‘91 Cannondale ST600, ‘84 Trek 610, 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, a few frames, some odds and ends....

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 116 Posts
...the New York to Martha’s Vineyard ferry doesn’t start up till the end of May, but they do take bicycles for 20 fee, 30 round trip.
Chr0m0ly is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.