Eroica and Coronavirus

Old 03-14-20, 12:58 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
Great, bat head soup is back on the menu!
Thats where Ebola came from.

All the pandemics of modern times have come from animals/factory farming of animals.
Old 03-14-20, 01:05 PM
gugie 
Dilberteur at large

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 892 Post(s)
Quoted: 2676 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
Thats where Ebola came from.

All the pandemics of modern times have come from animals/factory farming of animals.
Old 03-14-20, 01:59 PM
dweenk 

Bikes: 1971 Fuji Finest, Royale, S-10-S, 1976 Motobecane Mirage, 1989 Trek 330, 1100, 1970 Raleigh Sport, and more

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 65 Posts
Let's eat a monkey and shake on that
Old 03-14-20, 03:25 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by dweenk View Post
Let's eat a monkey and shake on that
AIDS came from the monkey!

Which is what I think you were getting at.
Old 03-14-20, 06:13 PM
jackbombay

First case of covid19 in the valley I live in, 15,000 or so people here, "it" most certainly showed up via the airport in Jackson 40 miles away... *sigh*

I've got plenty of bike projects to tinker on for a while to see how this will all shake out, which seems like the best thing to do based on this article,

https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafr...0KbM_OWw2rgOHw
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 03-14-20, 06:17 PM
SurferRosa

Bikes: old school 531c & campy

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 362 Posts
I believe that Covid19 came from people eating Pangolins.
False.

Rumors like this is how animals go extinct.

For more on the Pangolin, check out its episode on PBS Nature (on demand).
Old 03-14-20, 06:31 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by SurferRosa View Post
False.

Rumors like this is how animals go extinct.
Not sure why that would make them go extinct, just stop eating them and they won't go extinct.

Maybe Covid did not come from the Pangolin, but this guy thinks it did, "Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota."

[Michael Osterholm]'This thing clearly jumped from an animal species to a human probably in the third week of November,' Osterholm told Rogan. 'Pangolins, these scaly anteater-like animals, are a very good source because we have coronaviruses just like those in these animals, and it got into a human.'[/quote]

Quote from here,
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wont-help.html
Old 03-14-20, 07:01 PM
crank_addict

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 241 Posts
As we drift topic of bikes to pangolin's there's always something out there for whatever ones interest. The model also appears to be into bats.

This was on Etsy. I told a granddaughter not to get any ideas but she quickly replied, "you're from the Ozzy O. gen."

Likes For crank_addict:
Old 03-14-20, 07:03 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by crank_addict View Post
bikes to pangolin's
They're really neat creatures! Cool that somebody made a shirt with one riding a bike!
Old 03-14-20, 07:09 PM
SurferRosa

Not sure why that would make them go extinct.
Because, post false rumor, mobs hunt them down.
Old 03-14-20, 07:55 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Bikes: Lots. Just...lots.

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 169 Posts
post deleted

Last edited by rccardr; 03-15-20 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-14-20, 07:59 PM
jackbombay

Because, post false rumor, mobs hunt them down.
Seek out interaction with animals that have already wreaked havoc on the fabric of society across the planet? How about just walking away from them instead? Am I expecting to much from humans?
Old 03-14-20, 08:27 PM
SurferRosa

Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
pangolin mobs hunt people down.
If you want to write that or anything else, do it under your own user id. You needn't put words in other mouths to make your point. tia.
Old 03-14-20, 08:31 PM
clubman 
Youngman Grand

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 220 Posts
Relax everyone. Time for a ride!
Old 03-15-20, 05:48 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Bikes: Lots. Just...lots.

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 169 Posts
If you want to write that or anything else, do it under your own user id. You needn't put words in other mouths to make your point. tia.
Hey, sorry, no offense intended. Some days it seems like my ability to irritate people is heightened.
Old 03-15-20, 01:16 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Super Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1983 Nishiki Cresta, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
FYI, Airbnb has just updated their cancellation policy to the following:

Existing reservations made on or before March 14, 2020 for stays and Airbnb Experiences with a check-in date of April 14, 2020, or earlier, and with at least one night occurring between March 14, 2020, and April 14, 2020, are covered. Guests who cancel will receive a full refund, and hosts will be able to cancel without charge or impact to their Superhost status. The host’s cancellation policy will apply as usual to reservations made after March 14, 2020, and to existing reservations made on or before March 14, 2020 with check-in dates after April 14, 2020.
This is good news for those of us who were looking at a hefty cancellation fee for rental houses.
Likes For davester:
Old 03-16-20, 12:57 PM
goaheadjump

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always am the guy that says "lets just do it, it will be fine,nothings going to happen etc etc etc" but just pulled the plug on 8 guys travelling from Mass to Sedona for 4 days of sharing a house (airbnb) and mountain biking. It wasn't done because I believe any of us will get sick but because of the damage WE could do to others. Between shuttles, planes, airport, etc we could literally spread to hundreds - thousands and how many deaths might be in that mix, including any of our own compromised family members.

It totally sucks to cancel and I know I would normally be making fun of someone doing it, but I want things to get back to normal sooner than later (I want my craft brewers to reopen) and for that we all need to be part of the solution and stop this thing.
Likes For goaheadjump:
Old 03-16-20, 02:15 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3131 Post(s)
Liked 550 Times in 445 Posts
Originally Posted by iab View Post
Sure, there is a level of hysteria. But that does not negate the current mortality rate of covid19 is 30 times higher than the flu. And while I'm not concerned about my personal safety, I don't want to be typhoid mary to the immunocompromised.

One of the primary reasons the 1918 flu killed so many was governments suppressed communication about it. So what's worse, a run on toilet paper because of over-communication or a couple million dead because of under communication?

So cancelling a vintage bike ride does not make one whit of difference in anyone's life.
While suppression of influenza information during the Great War is often stated as a reason for spread, the statistics indicate otherwise. The combatants did suppress information to prevent decreases in morale and to prevent their enemies from knowing how much the armed forces and home front were affected. However, neutral countries, such as Spain, did not and it was dubbed the Spanish Flu because of the reports coming out of Spain, even though that is not where it originated.

Statistics for 14 western European countries show Spain having the 3rd highest ratio of flu mortality compared to the normal expected rate. Sweden, Norway, Switzerland and the Netherlands, all neutral countries with non-suppressed information, ranked 4th though 7th respectively. The major combatants (with suppressed information), England, France and Germany, were 8th, 9th and 12th, respectively.

Given that the three major combatants with suppressed flu information have lower flu mortality ratios than several neutral countries with non-suppressed flu information, it's hard to attribute the high volume of Spanish Flu deaths to the availability of communication.
Old 03-16-20, 02:45 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 92 Posts
There's a lot of scientist out there that suspects the virus came from a slaughtered bat in the Wuhan wet market.
No matter what it cans from, the problem is countries like China still continue to practice really primitive food handling and distribution standards. They should close down all the wet markets and start real food quality standard reinforcement and inspections. Otherwise, we will just see more pandemics come out of that country, year after year, to the whole world's peril.
Not picking on China, but pretty much all the recent strains of flu that develop into epidemics had come out from there, in the last few decades and most if them are viruses that jump from animals to humans.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 03-16-20, 04:31 PM
phiw

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara View Post
Oops, you're right, I didn't mention California, just Cambria. This is the sort of unforced error that used to really irk me in my editing days. Sorry!
Get it together, Vara! You've already got me lost in Cambria, Italy looking for the Eroica near Paso Robles. Is that in Italy? Do you speak Italian?
Old 03-16-20, 05:06 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by phiw View Post
Get it together, Vara! You've already got me lost in Cambria, Italy looking for the Eroica near Paso Robles. Is that in Italy? Do you speak Italian?
I understand a little Italian, but only because I listen to a lot of opera. My grandfather, Romeo, was the last one in the family to learn it at home, and because he was born here he Americanized fast and lost it in adulthood. My dad spoke decent Italian, though. So does my brother, Stephen, who speaks it to his dog, Ettore.

I have been to Canada many times--it's only about 50 miles away--and was within a few feet of the Mexican border while riding across El Paso a few years ago. I have also been to Naples, Maine, and Rome, New York.

But Italy itself? Technically, no--not as such.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 03-16-20, 06:25 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by Chombi1 View Post
There's a lot of scientist out there that suspects the virus came from a slaughtered bat in the Wuhan wet market.
No matter what it cans from, the problem is countries like China still continue to practice really primitive food handling and distribution standards.
Because the factory farming industrial complex in the USA only produces disease free food?

Last year (2018), just over 13 million pounds of beef were recalled in 31 separate instances. Meat can be recalled for reasons ranging from the presence of foreign materials to undeclared allergens in combined food products. But more than 12 million pounds recalled last year were due to salmonella contamination. So far in 2019, there have been 27 recalls, some of which are still active. Notable ones include nearly 57 tons in April (that’s over 113,000 pounds) and about 65,000 pounds in October.

In comparison, just under 600,000 pounds of beef were recalled in all of 2016, and about 1 million in 2015.
Virtually all the animal products produced/consumed in the USA are perpetually filthy. 31 recalls in a year? 2 to 3 per month?
Old 03-16-20, 07:02 PM
jackbombay

I was able to cancel my campground reservations fairly easily, you do lose a bit of money on the process, but, better than losing all of it!

For anyone else needing to cancel here is a link to the website, https://www.reservecalifornia.com/californiawebhome/ Just log in to your account, cluck the reservation and there is a "Cancel" link on the left edge of the screen.
Old 03-17-20, 08:43 AM
run50

Bikes: Seven Elium SLX, Spot Mountain bike, Surly LHT touring bike, Co-Motion Pangea touring bike,Trek 5500, Argon gravel bike, 1955 Schwinn

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I had bought airline tickets on British Air to fly to England in June, then cycle down to Portsmouth and take ferry over to France and
bike tour the EuroVelo 6 route from St. Brevins les Pins to Constanta, Romania on the Black sea. I have cancelled going and cancelled
my flights. Too much uncertianty right now around the world and figure I can do it next summer. Riding Eroica you will definitely not be
social distancing yourself as people all around the world are being requested to do. I would suspect that the Eroica will be cancelled
anyway.
Likes For run50:
Old 03-17-20, 08:53 AM
run50

Bikes: Seven Elium SLX, Spot Mountain bike, Surly LHT touring bike, Co-Motion Pangea touring bike,Trek 5500, Argon gravel bike, 1955 Schwinn

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I watched the Osterholm interview on Joe Rogan's podcast last week. I'd read Osterholm's book Deadliest Enemy: Our War Against Killer Germs. Osterholm predicted in the book that this pandemic would happen and that it would start in China. He stated in the interview that we are only just now at the beginning of this pandemic and it will get much much worse and play out for 6-8 months before it starts dying off. He said that what will contain it and end will be when it has run it's course and there are no
more people who can get infected with it because of containment and people who have had it and built up immunity. He strongly stated that the messaging coming out of D.C. is wrongfully telling Americans this virus will die off with Spring or warm weather and that this is just not true. There is absolutely no evidence he said that seasons will kill off the virus and referred to other coronaviruses that are only in the Sahara (from camels) and in the far south of Argentina in the cold. He is the foremost expert worldwide on infectious diseases.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.