Old 03-24-20, 02:25 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Covid 19 restrictions for cycling

Hello,
It would be interested to know how cycling outdoors is affected by the restrictions imposed against the new covid virus.
For me, it seems that road cycling is forbidden, not only in peloton, but also as a solo cyclist...
Old 03-24-20, 02:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10883 Post(s)
Liked 2,405 Times in 1,358 Posts
Look in General and some other forum for threads about this.
Old 03-24-20, 02:56 PM
Seu

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Solo is fine here in Washington State

We have just entered a lock down for Washington State but exercise is allowed. I would not use the 6 foot rule for riding with other cyclist. Riding solo seems best. I've stopped riding some bike paths around here because there are too many cyclist. The virus can hang in the air.

Look at slow motion pictures of a sneeze on Youtube. A cloud of small droplets are expelled and they hang in the air. The small droplets on fall only slowly to the ground so anybody riding behind a sneezing cyclist is going to contact that crud. Cyclist ride at like at 20 feet per second and these droplets could float for several seconds. Its not safe riding behind somebody.
Likes For Seu:
Old 03-24-20, 02:59 PM
Cypress 
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 298 Posts
Where are you? Oregon is encouraging outdoor cycling, so as long as social distancing is upheld.

Old 03-24-20, 02:59 PM
Bigbus

Bikes: In Flux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Seu View Post
We have just entered a lock down for Washington State but exercise is allowed. I would not use the 6 foot rule for riding with other cyclist. Riding solo seems best. I've stopped riding some bike paths around here because there are too many cyclist. The virus can hang in the air.

Look at slow motion pictures of a sneeze on Youtube. A cloud of small droplets are expelled and they hang in the air. The small droplets on fall only slowly to the ground so anybody riding behind a sneezing cyclist is going to contact that crud. Cyclist ride at like at 20 feet per second and these droplets could float for several seconds. Its not safe riding behind somebody.
Fart?
Old 03-24-20, 03:01 PM
Cypress 

Originally Posted by Bigbus View Post
Fart?
Depends on how wet it is, and if there is any clothing to catch "droplets"
Likes For Cypress:
Old 03-24-20, 03:01 PM
Bigbus

Bikes: In Flux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
Where are you? Oregon is encouraging outdoor cycling, so as long as social distancing is upheld.

Who's delivering the beer?
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 03-24-20, 03:13 PM
Redbullet

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That's interesting!
From health safety point of view, I see no danger in cycling solo on the road - it is very unlikely that you come too close to an infected person.
But I was wondering about the legal restrictions. In my area, they recently allow only "short trips, near the home / household, related to the individual physical activity of the people". It looks difficult to say that riding on 20-30 km radius around the home would rank in "short trips near the home".
Although... "short" is debatable...
Old 03-24-20, 03:17 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Scott Sub 35

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 71 Posts
Don't do anything that might put you in hospital.

I'll also note that most road users seem more distracted than usual lately. A bike probably isn't something they expect to see out on the road right now either.
Likes For znomit:
Old 03-24-20, 03:25 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Bikes: OPEN new U.P. Di2

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 88 Posts
Fart?
In all seriousness, it has been found that SARS (like this coronavirus) can be transmitted by gaseous emissions. An early outbreak in China was traced to a guy in an open plan office who had massive, nasty gas one workday.
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 03-24-20, 03:26 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 3971 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 567 Posts
Who's delivering the beer?
AZ is allowing restaurants to include alcohol with food purchases, and it's available at grocery stores/gas stations.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 03-24-20, 03:27 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

There are no restrictions on cycling here. All restrictions, so far, are voluntary except for prohibitions against visiting nursing homes and assisted living centers. A lot of our restaurant dining rooms are closed, but it is purely on a voluntary basis.

But then, we have zero cases in our county or in any of the adjoining counties.
Old 03-24-20, 03:36 PM
Redbullet

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seu View Post
Sounds reasonable.
But it looks that in my area they have a foolish focus on full isolation, rather than a reasonable "social distance". They allow "short trip near the home / household, related to the individual physical activity of the people". A 60-90 km ride seems to be hard to include there.
I was just wondering how to deal with that - it will come into force as for tomorrow.
Sure, I'm not from USA.
Old 03-24-20, 03:39 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Illinois has a shelter in place but ok for walks and exercise. I assume no group rides that would be a bit dumb but frankly it is very cold here now for time of year. I have been going out solo each morning and I had 305 mile week trying to ride about 50 a day. Not a much else to do at this point and I am getting bored sticking to some main roads I ride just to be safe. They are all out in the country but I don't want to venture off too far just in caution. I am retired although they called me back to work just have not heard anything yet. So for myself maybe not as much different.

I am a lone ranger all the time I like to ride early in morning. I go sometimes a hour before sunrise usually the wind is better and no one else probably does. Also to note it has been 30 degrees when I take off in the AM. Hopefully the virus is not as harmful under freezing temps.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 03-24-20, 03:43 PM
Cypress 

Originally Posted by FlashBazbo View Post
There are no restrictions on cycling here. All restrictions, so far, are voluntary except for prohibitions against visiting nursing homes and assisted living centers. A lot of our restaurant dining rooms are closed, but it is purely on a voluntary basis.

But then, we have zero cases in our county or in any of the adjoining counties.
Good luck. We had the voluntary but recommended restrictions because our Governor is a softy. This last weekend saw small coast towns blocking inroads due to the influx of people trying to "get out" of the cites. State parks were so crowded that there were major traffic jams going to and from them. After the weekend crapshow, the Governor put her adult pants on and ordered Shelter in Place, punishable by class B misdemeanor. The many ruined it for the...more many (?).
Old 03-24-20, 03:52 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Good luck. We had the voluntary but recommended restrictions because our Governor is a softy. This last weekend saw small coast towns blocking inroads due to the influx of people trying to "get out" of the cites. State parks were so crowded that there were major traffic jams going to and from them. After the weekend crapshow, the Governor put her adult pants on and ordered Shelter in Place, punishable by class B misdemeanor. The many ruined it for the...more many (?).
Yes, but this is Tennessee. So far, people are different here. This morning, my wife went grocery shopping. Found all our preferred brands, toilet paper, Kleenex, food, meat, etc. in adequate supply. Nobody was hoarding or panicking. It was a normal grocery day . . . except, for some reason, the store was out of Pace Hot Picante Sauce. (But it doesn't seem to me that picante sauce would be a hoarding item.)

Ship me Pace Hot Picante Sauce and I'll send toilet paper!
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 03-24-20, 04:23 PM
caloso

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2163 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 398 Posts
Cycling, while observing responsible social distancing, is allowed in California. My son and I went out for a mellow gravel ride on the local levees this weekend. Really pleasant actually.
Old 03-24-20, 04:25 PM
datlas 
Beyond Bogus

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11511 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 596 Posts
In all seriousness, it has been found that SARS (like this coronavirus) can be transmitted by gaseous emissions. An early outbreak in China was traced to a guy in an open plan office who had massive, nasty gas one workday.
That STINKS!
Old 03-25-20, 02:20 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 47 Posts
Bicycling Magazine had a sensible article on how to ride during this COVID-19 pandemic. I'll attempt to post the link.

https://www.bicycling.com/health-nut...g-coronavirus/

I hope the link works and is helpful to others.
Old 03-25-20, 06:28 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 254 Posts
I am not aware of any cycling restrictions here in CT. I'm on my rollers indoors and hoping the weather will allow me to get out tomorrow.
Old 03-25-20, 07:07 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
Yes, but this is Tennessee. So far, people are different here. This morning, my wife went grocery shopping. Found all our preferred brands, toilet paper, Kleenex, food, meat, etc. in adequate supply. Nobody was hoarding or panicking. It was a normal grocery day . . . except, for some reason, the store was out of Pace Hot Picante Sauce. (But it doesn't seem to me that picante sauce would be a hoarding item.)

Ship me Pace Hot Picante Sauce and I'll send toilet paper!

Things might change there. Be careful.
Old 03-25-20, 07:27 AM
eduskator

Bikes: TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet View Post
Hello,
It would be interested to know how cycling outdoors is affected by the restrictions imposed against the new covid virus.
For me, it seems that road cycling is forbidden, not only in peloton, but also as a solo cyclist...
It depends on your area. Where I live, our Government has been very proactive and is taking great precaution to avoid a disaster (Italy, Spain etc.); gatherings are the only thing forbidden (more than 2 persons) inside or outside (except for families of course) right now and people are asked to keep a 1-2 meter distance between each other at any moment. This applies to basically everything, including bicycle. However, snow is not completely melted outside so we can't ride yet

Last edited by eduskator; 03-25-20 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-25-20, 01:41 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 138 Posts
No restrictions for biking as it is encouraged for exercising as of now.

Originally Posted by znomit View Post
Don't do anything that might put you in hospital.

I'll also note that most road users seem more distracted than usual lately. A bike probably isn't something they expect to see out on the road right now either.
Seems like drivers are now giving me MORE CLEARANCE as they pass.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 03-25-20, 02:04 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 11524 Post(s)
Liked 2,715 Times in 1,572 Posts
Washington has a stay at home order, but we're allowed out for exercise. I don't know if I'm allowed to drive 70 miles to a Nordic area to ski alone, if they groom the trails that what I'll be doing this weekend. No more grooming regardless come April so I've been planning to ski logging roads until my podiatrist clears me for cycling.
Old 03-25-20, 02:28 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 165 Posts
Depends on how wet it is, and if there is any clothing to catch "droplets"
Asssssssos Brand Shammy Creme works to hold the Corona Virus in your bibshorts. It is not effective against the Tecate Virus.
Likes For CAT7RDR:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.