Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Old 03-25-20, 10:41 AM
  #10551  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 17,581

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985 View Post
I respect the position of some folks here that we should not ride. A crash and the ripple effects for emergency personnel and health care are substantial when there isn't much to spare. I've chosen to continue to ride to work, weather permitting and on days I don't bring my kid to the office.

As I mentioned earlier, staying at home reading the internets has been tough on my wife. Limited outdoor opportunities and the feeling your kid is getting too much screen time at a time when the zombies are coming. If we're in this for a while, our house needs to break it up to keep everyone happy and sane. My son was in here yesterday setting up his office. Good time to have an extra office/classroom for when school starts next week. I set up the Atari in there this morning.

Doing it right. I'm certain the stir-crazy is a real thing. I worry about all the kids out there not going to school, plopped in front of the TV, and becoming numb.
__________________
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
In other news, to effect quick passes of other cyclists out this morning, I did dial it up to 400w to pass several times. It doesn't actually feel like much of anything for that duration. Not sure what that guy was on about.
LAJ is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 10:48 AM
  #10552  
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike
 
Heathpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,556

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 696 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4425 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Very interesting. Are dog noses vulnerable because they get put so many interesting places? We see a lot of crypto in congenital and induced immunological deficits, but I don't recall an isolated sinus mass. Prof. Google says it happens to humans.
Common in my practice in cats, uncommon in dogs.

Cats are most likely to have nasal or sinus infections but sometimes I see them for pure CNS signs. Very little inflammatory reaction, meningitis happens but is not a prominent feature of the disease. Mostly in cats, the infection causes a granuloma which in clinical presentation mimics a brain tumor, although its sometimes seen in younger patients.

Dogs can have crypto anywhere in the body, and its more likely to be a diffuse or mutifocal disease rather than a granuloma like this dog has.

Typically crypto is seen in incompetent animals even though cats can be infected with a chronic HIV-like virus called FIV. Because dogs usually have systemic disease, they tend to do worse with crypto when compared with a cat. But cats with large granulomas often do really well, they just need years of fluconazole, maybe lifelong. I am hopeful this dog will do well because he has a solitary granuloma. But only time will tell for sure.
Heathpack is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 10:48 AM
  #10553  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 31,612

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11511 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 596 Posts
Originally Posted by zatopek View Post
Subject/verb agreement, if you please: “Things like street sweeping is routine.”
Reminds me, where is the pedantic penman?
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 10:48 AM
  #10554  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 17,581

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Those babies were just made to round off bolt heads. Right tool for the right job.
You would be amazed how well those work on previously rounded of fasteners. Best pliers out there, and yes, I do have the whole set. Did I need a pair of 18" long Cobra pliers? You tell me....
__________________
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
In other news, to effect quick passes of other cyclists out this morning, I did dial it up to 400w to pass several times. It doesn't actually feel like much of anything for that duration. Not sure what that guy was on about.
LAJ is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 10:53 AM
  #10555  
sbxx1985 
Senior Member
 
sbxx1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 12,684
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 150 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Too heavy.
This. And not interesting enough.
sbxx1985 is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 10:58 AM
  #10556  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,231

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3439 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Common in my practice in cats, uncommon in dogs.

Cats are most likely to have nasal or sinus infections but sometimes I see them for pure CNS signs. Very little inflammatory reaction, meningitis happens but is not a prominent feature of the disease. Mostly in cats, the infection causes a granuloma which in clinical presentation mimics a brain tumor, although its sometimes seen in younger patients.

Dogs can have crypto anywhere in the body, and its more likely to be a diffuse or mutifocal disease rather than a granuloma like this dog has.

Typically crypto is seen in incompetent animals even though cats can be infected with a chronic HIV-like virus called FIV. Because dogs usually have systemic disease, they tend to do worse with crypto when compared with a cat. But cats with large granulomas often do really well, they just need years of fluconazole, maybe lifelong. I am hopeful this dog will do well because he has a solitary granuloma. But only time will tell for sure.
Yeah, we see a lot humans who don't exactly do well, but survive longish-term with crypto meningoencephalitis.

Again, fascinating and distracting. Thanks!
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 10:59 AM
  #10557  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 28,695

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 335 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12008 Post(s)
Liked 1,799 Times in 969 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Doing it right. I'm certain the stir-crazy is a real thing. I worry about all the kids out there not going to school, plopped in front of the TV, and becoming numb.
My daughter, in particular, has been worse since being cooped up - much more contentious. She greeted me at the door when I got home from the ride. "Hi dad! I had a meltdown." The look from the Mrs confirmed.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 11:00 AM
  #10558  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,231

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3439 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
You would be amazed how well those work on previously rounded of fasteners. Best pliers out there, and yes, I do have the whole set. Did I need a pair of 18" long Cobra pliers? You tell me....
True. They have real bite! I use Channel Locks on the boat, where things are awkward, way more than I should.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 11:03 AM
  #10559  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 1,523

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
You would be amazed how well those work on previously rounded of fasteners. Best pliers out there, and yes, I do have the whole set. Did I need a pair of 18" long Cobra pliers? You tell me....
If you haven't had a need for them yet, you still might!

Better keep them around just in case
abshipp is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 11:06 AM
  #10560  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 28,695

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 335 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12008 Post(s)
Liked 1,799 Times in 969 Posts
Oh, man - I stopped off during the ride at an "open" bakery to bring home some treats to the fam. First, the main door was locked. The sign indicated that I had to use one of the two side doors. Went to one of the side doors, pulled the handle - locked. A sign on that door indicated that they'd be transitioning to online ordering "this week." Yet another sign had instructions for ordering - I got to the bit where they indicated that I had to bring a piece of paper, write my name on it in LARGE print, hold it up/display it to them through a certain window, yadda yadda. I mean, they've got great croissants, but **** me is that a lot of hoops.

I rode on.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 11:09 AM
  #10561  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 31,612

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11511 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 596 Posts
My Zwift meetup was supposed to have a pace of 2-2.5 W/Kg. I got very tired by the end (just shy of 2 hours) and allegedly had an average of 2.2 W/Kg.

#TruthInAdvertising
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 11:11 AM
  #10562  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,231

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3439 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
My Zwift meetup was supposed to have a pace of 2-2.5 W/Kg. I got very tired by the end (just shy of 2 hours) and allegedly had an average of 2.2 W/Kg.

#TruthInAdvertising
Just thinking about 2 hrs on the trainer gives me unbearable taintal pain and numb...hands.

And just got a message that we admitted our first two remdesovir protocol patients. Godspeed!
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 11:15 AM
  #10563  
sbxx1985 
Senior Member
 
sbxx1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 12,684
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 150 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Doing it right. I'm certain the stir-crazy is a real thing. I worry about all the kids out there not going to school, plopped in front of the TV, and becoming numb.
We've de-quarantined with my wife's sister and her husband and their two kids that live a few miles away in Louisville. Wife's sister opened a kitchen remodeling business with her husband and then he got cancer. Tough ass dude. Beat it, started working again, and then this happened. They're trying to work and the 11 year old is having a ton of anxiety they think is related to sitting in front of the TV all day while her parents work on cabinets. Can't sleep.

Both girls were at our house for a few days last week and are coming back today. They slept pretty well here. Just getting outside, shooting some hoops with your cousins, trying to feel normal is important for these kids. Four hours of live streamed school will help.

Last edited by sbxx1985; 03-25-20 at 11:20 AM.
sbxx1985 is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 11:19 AM
  #10564  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 31,612

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11511 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 596 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Just thinking about 2 hrs on the trainer gives me unbearable taintal pain and numb...hands.

And just got a message that we admitted our first two remdesovir protocol patients. Godspeed!
Doing 2 hours on a dumb trainer is unpossible for me.

But doing 2 hours with a group of friends on Zwift and voice chat on Discord is very possible. You have to remember to stand up for 10-20 pedal strokes every 20 minutes or so, to save your butt.

PS Remdesovir?? How many getting quinine and Azithromycin??
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 11:27 AM
  #10565  
sbxx1985 
Senior Member
 
sbxx1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 12,684
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 150 Times in 97 Posts
My wife has a Zoom happy hour tomorrow. That's fun.
sbxx1985 is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 11:29 AM
  #10566  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,231

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3439 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Doing 2 hours on a dumb trainer is unpossible for me.

But doing 2 hours with a group of friends on Zwift and voice chat on Discord is very possible. You have to remember to stand up for 10-20 pedal strokes every 20 minutes or so, to save your butt.

PS Remdesovir?? How many getting quinine and Azithromycin??
Worked miracles in China, they say.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 11:37 AM
  #10567  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 17,581

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985 View Post
We've de-quarantined with my wife's sister and her husband and their two kids that live a few miles away in Louisville. Wife's sister opened a kitchen remodeling business with her husband and then he got cancer. Tough ass dude. Beat it, started working again, and then this happened. They're trying to work and the 11 year old is having a ton of anxiety they think is related to sitting in front of the TV all day while her parents work on cabinets. Can't sleep.

Both girls were at our house for a few days last week and are coming back today. They slept pretty well here. Just getting outside, shooting some hoops with your cousins, trying to feel normal is important for these kids. Four hours of live streamed school will help.
Holy cow. I'm hoping for the best for all of you. School type stuff will most certainly help, though not being done in the normal way, it'll hopefully reinforce the fact that their pals are still out there.
__________________
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
In other news, to effect quick passes of other cyclists out this morning, I did dial it up to 400w to pass several times. It doesn't actually feel like much of anything for that duration. Not sure what that guy was on about.
LAJ is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 12:04 PM
  #10568  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,016

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Got in my short ride, no rain. Also nabbed the piddly KOM that aimed at, only to find that the segment has been hidden in the last three days.

Also - road find!

scores!
ls01 is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 12:05 PM
  #10569  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 47,398

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7361 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
I passed a rusty hammer on my last ride. I did not stop to pick it up.
No one's going to pick it up?
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 12:09 PM
  #10570  
Cypress 
Globo Gym lifetime member
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 5,183

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 298 Posts
A coworker of mine came up with a novel idea:

EVERYONE (minus the absolute barebones crews like doctors) stays home for two weeks, and April 8th now becomes March 25th, then we treat the rest of the year like the two weeks never happened. No bills, all non-essential appointments are pushed back, no stock trading, etc. The only money being spent would be groceries, and only a very small portion of the country would need help paying for two weeks of groceries. That will give the country an entire year to prepare to take those two weeks "back" next year.

It's crazy enough that it might actually work.
__________________
Originally Posted by botto
incorrect.
Cypress is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 12:23 PM
  #10571  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 17,581

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
A coworker of mine came up with a novel idea:

EVERYONE (minus the absolute barebones crews like doctors) stays home for two weeks, and April 8th now becomes March 25th, then we treat the rest of the year like the two weeks never happened. No bills, all non-essential appointments are pushed back, no stock trading, etc. The only money being spent would be groceries, and only a very small portion of the country would need help paying for two weeks of groceries. That will give the country an entire year to prepare to take those two weeks "back" next year.

It's crazy enough that it might actually work.
Someone would find a reason to sue someone for something.
__________________
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
In other news, to effect quick passes of other cyclists out this morning, I did dial it up to 400w to pass several times. It doesn't actually feel like much of anything for that duration. Not sure what that guy was on about.
LAJ is offline  
Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-25-20, 12:24 PM
  #10572  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 27,271

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7388 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 465 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
No one's going to pick it up?
Poor hammer. Probably been abused, mistreated, then finally abandoned.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 12:35 PM
  #10573  
Cypress 
Globo Gym lifetime member
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 5,183

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Poor hammer. Probably been abused, mistreated, then finally abandoned.
My firm renovated a very old elementary school back in the day. When I was pulling old pipe out of the ceiling I found a rusty haggard-looking hammer with a Star of David burned into the bottom of the wood handle. I keep it in a desk drawer in my office.
__________________
Originally Posted by botto
incorrect.
Cypress is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 12:46 PM
  #10574  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 47,398

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7361 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Poor hammer. Probably been abused, mistreated, then finally abandoned.
It was 100 yards or so from the county line.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 12:48 PM
  #10575  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 17,581

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
My firm renovated a very old elementary school back in the day. When I was pulling old pipe out of the ceiling I found a rusty haggard-looking hammer with a Star of David burned into the bottom of the wood handle. I keep it in a desk drawer in my office.
That's cool, and I would have done the same.
__________________
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
In other news, to effect quick passes of other cyclists out this morning, I did dial it up to 400w to pass several times. It doesn't actually feel like much of anything for that duration. Not sure what that guy was on about.
LAJ is offline  
Likes For LAJ:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.