Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Old 03-25-20, 05:06 PM
  #10626  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatn, Mxico
Posts: 13,193

Bikes: 72 Schwinn World Voyageur, 78 Schwinn World(upright town bike), 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 88 Centurion Ironman Expert,92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5794 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
Mexico took a big hit with swine flu. They say they are being cautious. I have supported everything this president has done, and now he has gone trump. I initially thought he knew what's coming and was going out to keep spirits up. Now though, it's just not understandable. Here in Yucatan, or in Tixkokob anyway, we are rolling with protocol. People are taking it seriously. Will it help us in the end? We are quite isolated out here on the peninsula.....
And, Ive read that other states are on lockdown as well. AMLO has not got the support of the state governors. Maybe it will confine itself to central Mexico. We shall see.
I just finished reading the Merida paper.The country entered phase two today, and things are locking down. Our president is apparently on an island, policy-wise. His approval rating has dropped ten points over this.
__________________
one general tip for when the exact hub cone is not readily available. discovered that the curvature of the bearing surface on the shimano 600 was a pretty good "skeleton key" for many applications. it would sometimes require a small change in ball size to make everything come out correctly.
seedsbelize is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 05:08 PM
  #10627  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 1,523

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
I rode again today.



Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
​​​​​A more modern bike is called for.
I hear Excel Sports has good deals on closeouts lately.
abshipp is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 05:08 PM
  #10628  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,016

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
That's like... a lot.
not if you spread it out over 24 hours. Hardly anything...
ls01 is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 05:08 PM
  #10629  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 47,398

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7361 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
With no wine available anywhere near, I have been reduced to drinking beer.

Sad.
Plenty of wine here, but no beer on premises.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 05:10 PM
  #10630  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 1,523

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 277 Posts
I rode as well. Took the recently posted SLT for 20ish miles.

I've been trying to get a good picture of these guys for years, but they're a skittish bunch. I still didn't get a good one, but at least they weren't clear across their pen like usual.

abshipp is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 05:17 PM
  #10631  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 31,612

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11511 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 596 Posts
Hey MoAlpha did you see this? Only one specially lower than mine listed. Sad?


__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 05:22 PM
  #10632  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,016

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 147 Posts
The co. Has started issuing us surgical masks today. I'm torn. I appreciate being able to work and make a living. But its freaking me out a little.
ls01 is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 05:26 PM
  #10633  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 31,612

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11511 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 596 Posts
Mrs datlas is starting to get paranoid. Said she wants me to change out of work clothes downstairs (where I come in) before coming upstairs. I tried to explain that I wear a white coat at work on the rare chance I see any patients IRL these days, and that I wash my hands carefully before leaving work.

But in the interest of marital bliss, the Dude abides.

Maybe I need to start drinking White Russians?
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-25-20, 05:36 PM
  #10634  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,016

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 147 Posts
So heres a question. Serious one too.
The boss goes to hand out the masks. He sticks his hand in the box and grabs 2. And gives them to ? How should we do this? He is contaminating the box with his hands or everyone is creating a nice popuri of germs by sticking their hand in it.
What's protocol?
ls01 is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 05:36 PM
  #10635  
MoAlpha
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,231

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3439 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Hey MoAlpha did you see this? Only one specially lower than mine listed. Sad?


No surprise and am very grateful for the privilege of doing what I do instead. i never thought I could ply the trade full time. Heathpack seems to have a cool job, despite it’s pressures and frustrations.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 05:46 PM
  #10636  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 31,612

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11511 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 596 Posts
I shoulda been zit-popper MD. They are happiest.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 05:47 PM
  #10637  
berner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bristol, R. I.
Posts: 4,055

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
I have this one patient who insists he does not drink alcohol yet drinks 2 bottles of wine daily. I have another who says he does not drink alcohol yet has a 6 pack daily.

#denial
I've just finished one and am reading another book about global warming, speaking about denial. I can see why some people would deny the corona virus or global warming. The effects don't seem to be clear and present. For global warming, doing something about it would require disastrous capital expenditures effecting bonuses and sort of abstract anyway. But the virus is not abstract and people in large numbers are dying. Maybe people have been lied to so consistantly by so called leaders (remember weapons of mass destruction) we no longer believe anything. Sort of the way chicken little kept saying the sky was falling and all the animals eventually stopped taking cover.
berner is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 06:00 PM
  #10638  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 26,073
Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10883 Post(s)
Liked 2,405 Times in 1,358 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
I have this one patient who insists he does not drink alcohol yet drinks 2 bottles of wine daily. I have another who says he does not drink alcohol yet has a 6 pack daily.

#denial
Heh. When I was getting my INR checked at HUP the head of the department told me that he had one patient who swore he only drank two beers per day. When he pressed the patient further he revealed it was two 40s per day.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 06:07 PM
  #10639  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 14,827

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4809 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by berner View Post
I've just finished one and am reading another book about global warming, speaking about denial. I can see why some people would deny the corona virus or global warming. The effects don't seem to be clear and present. For global warming, doing something about it would require disastrous capital expenditures effecting bonuses and sort of abstract anyway. But the virus is not abstract and people in large numbers are dying. Maybe people have been lied to so consistantly by so called leaders (remember weapons of mass destruction) we no longer believe anything. Sort of the way chicken little kept saying the sky was falling and all the animals eventually stopped taking cover.
We as a species are very bad at recognizing invisible dangers. It still seems surreal to me that I could almost walk outside and pretend everything is normal. It would be irresponsible, but it's much different from, say, bears roaming the streets.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 03-25-20, 06:25 PM
  #10640  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 35,636

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 613 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12479 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Hey MoAlpha did you see this? Only one specially lower than mine listed. Sad?
I invited you to become my witch doctor.

P.S. Nice music.
__________________
Velo Vol is online now  
Old 03-25-20, 06:28 PM
  #10641  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 35,636

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 613 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12479 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
We as a species are very bad at recognizing invisible dangers. It still seems surreal to me that I could almost walk outside and pretend everything is normal. It would be irresponsible, but it's much different from, say, bears roaming the streets.
Not great with visible ones, either. See convenience store "food" inventory and drivers with cellphones.
__________________
Velo Vol is online now  
Old 03-25-20, 06:30 PM
  #10642  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 35,636

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 613 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12479 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
I've been trying to get a good picture of these guys for years, but they're a skittish bunch
Reindeer?
__________________
Velo Vol is online now  
Old 03-25-20, 06:36 PM
  #10643  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 14,827

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4809 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Mrs datlas is starting to get paranoid. Said she wants me to change out of work clothes downstairs (where I come in) before coming upstairs. I tried to explain that I wear a white coat at work on the rare chance I see any patients IRL these days, and that I wash my hands carefully before leaving work.

But in the interest of marital bliss, the Dude abides.

Maybe I need to start drinking White Russians?
AG is borderline there, wanting to order everything to avoid stores but then freaking out about possibly-infected items and we don't have enough alcohol or sanitizer to clean everything, and I'm on the edge of my mental energy. With weeks to go.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 06:39 PM
  #10644  
MoAlpha
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,231

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3439 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01 View Post
So heres a question. Serious one too.
The boss goes to hand out the masks. He sticks his hand in the box and grabs 2. And gives them to ? How should we do this? He is contaminating the box with his hands or everyone is creating a nice popuri of germs by sticking their hand in it.
What's protocol?
Ask him politely to wash his hands before doing it?
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 06:40 PM
  #10645  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 14,827

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4809 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Not great with visible ones, either. See convenience store "food" inventory and drivers with cellphones.
Ah, but the risks there are invisible (diabetes, heart disease, etc) or mainly to others. We have very few visible threats in society because we're so good at eliminating them. Lots of invisible ones though, even though it only takes a tiny bit of thinking to realize they're there.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 06:41 PM
  #10646  
MoAlpha
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,231

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3439 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
I shoulda been zit-popper MD. They are happiest.
I would burn out like a birthday candle.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 06:43 PM
  #10647  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: hampton roads
Posts: 1,007

Bikes: Cervlo C2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 150 Posts
Mine is the same datlas. When I get picked up from the airport she sprays my luggage down with lysol, makes me sanitize my hands before getting in the car, and upon entering the house I have to strip out of my uniform. Im pretty sure the next time I come home there will be a oven in our mud room for my clothes.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 06:45 PM
  #10648  
MoAlpha
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,231

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3439 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Mrs datlas is starting to get paranoid. Said she wants me to change out of work clothes downstairs (where I come in) before coming upstairs. I tried to explain that I wear a white coat at work on the rare chance I see any patients IRL these days, and that I wash my hands carefully before leaving work.

But in the interest of marital bliss, the Dude abides.

Maybe I need to start drinking White Russians?
Your work environment is better controlled than a supermarket, for God’s sake!

Wife does intensive, “artisanal,” multi-day, cognitive testing with kids and has three interrupted evals pending. I find that pretty scary and may ask her to refund their money and bail, possibly forever. We’re not kids.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 03-25-20 at 06:48 PM.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 06:47 PM
  #10649  
MoAlpha
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,231

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3439 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
Mine is the same datlas. When I get picked up from the airport she sprays my luggage down with lysol, makes me sanitize my hands before getting in the car, and upon entering the house I have to strip out of my uniform. Im pretty sure the next time I come home there will be a oven in our mud room for my clothes.
I cant say shes wrong.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 06:50 PM
  #10650  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 31,612

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11511 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 596 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
I invited you to become my witch doctor.

P.S. Nice music.
Its music student daughters. On the piano. Some famous sonata by Beethoven I believe.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.