Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Polished hub internals

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Polished hub internals

Old 10-07-19, 04:43 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Polished hub internals

Heeding a suggestion by another forum member, I used a product similar to Simichrome to polish the Nuovo Record hubs I unintentionally ruined. Filled the hubs with the polishing compound and put the hubs back together. Spun the axles with a drill and let the polishing begin. Only ran them for about 10 minutes and then cleaned them up and put in fresh grease and balls. They are smooth once again. How nice it is that an old racers trick turns out to be more than folklore.
Old 10-07-19, 05:18 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Heeding a suggestion by another forum member, I used a product similar to Simichrome to polish the Nuovo Record hubs I unintentionally ruined. Filled the hubs with the polishing compound and put the hubs back together. Spun the axles with a drill and let the polishing begin. Only ran them for about 10 minutes and then cleaned them up and put in fresh grease and balls. They are smooth once again. How nice it is that an old racers trick turns out to be more than folklore.
My suggestion for maintenance of IGH internals, based on over 60 years of experience with S-A AW and S-5 hubs is to add a drop or two of oil every decade or so. Works for Sachs Torpedo 3 speeds also.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-07-19, 05:35 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Originally Posted by brianhamp
How often do you do this polishing of the internals? Once a year? I would like to see a picture of them if you have some... Something I might be interested in.

Thank you
From my experience once is enough. No need to repeat it unless the cups or the cones are replaced.
Old 10-07-19, 05:40 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
I've used toothpaste to lap valves for auto and similar engine applications. It might even be a good idea to lap the balls in the axle's races, clean everything then re-assemble with the same balls in their respective races. Thoughts?