Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Slipping gears?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Slipping gears?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-05, 04:11 PM
Carbon Blue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slipping gears?

I have a 27 speed hardrock pro disc that has deore rear and front deraileurs. Whenever im trail riding and really get on it my gears seem to slip. Upshifting and downshifting are fine throughout the gears but when im in any gear (i do not cross them) and start pedaling down hard it feels as if it slips and grabs again. It really throws off my balance and momentum when this happens and is quite annoying when im on the trails trying to get uphill. Ive tried messing around with the barrel adjusters but it just wont fix it and with the barrel adjusters counter clockwise tightens the cable and clockwise loosens it correct (adds slack)?
Old 08-19-05, 04:17 PM
ExMachina
Senior, Senior Member

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Sounds like you might be getting close needing least a new chain and possibly new cogs (and even a new chainring(s)).
Old 08-19-05, 04:31 PM
Ricardo
Hazardous biker

Bikes: 2005 Santa Cruz Blur Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...or maybe cable stretch...

Ricardo
Old 08-19-05, 06:03 PM
Carbon Blue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
probably cable stretch. The bike has about 200 miles on it and is about a month old.
Old 08-19-05, 06:37 PM
ExMachina
Senior, Senior Member

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
probably cable stretch. The bike has about 200 miles on it and is about a month old.
Cable stretch would not account for chain slippage in the same gear, especially as you describe it happening only under load.

Do you mean that your gears are slipping into different gears?
Old 08-19-05, 06:44 PM
bruiser2
Ex Go-Kart racer

Bikes: Trek Bruiser 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you say that it feels as if it slips is it like a smooth slipping like the way a clutch in a car would work or is it like a clunky slipping.
Old 08-19-05, 07:57 PM
Carbon Blue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For instance, if im on 9th gear and im accelerating hard to catch up to someone and all of a sudden i have ZERO resistance for about a second then it grabs again. Sometimes when i shift into 9th gear, right after the switch into 9th it feels like its shifting again but its not, it still stays on 9th gear but there are two big jerks as compared to one simple shifting jerk.
Old 08-19-05, 08:14 PM
iamthetas

Bikes: Devinci Guzzler, 04 Canadian version

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it actually sounds a little too tight not loose to me. I had that problem on my SRAM stuff once and I loosened it just a smidge and never had that problem again
Old 08-23-05, 06:37 AM
jst0076

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar problem recently, but it was only doing it when the chain was on the middle sprocket. After checking the cassette and chain on the trail I figured that I was due a new cassette. Once I got the bike home (without using that gear) I checked it out properly and found a very small piece of twig lodged firmly in the rear cassette just out of sight of a quick on-trail inspection. Got this pulled out and didn't have to open my wallet.

I'm not implying in any way that you haven't checked properly, I'm just saying check absolutely everything before you buy new kit. I once nearly bought a new rear wheel, as no matter what I did I could pull it back into dish. Then I noticed my quick release wasn't fastened properly. Problem solved. Check every detail, then check again, and again. Then buy new kit.
Old 08-23-05, 06:56 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
When I used to have the same problem I found out that my derailleur hanger was slightly bent. If you try everything else and still have a problem take the bike by a shop and ask them to check the hanger and make sure it is straight. You probably won't be able to do this yourself unless you have a Park DAG-1 hanger tool.
Old 08-23-05, 07:10 AM
outdoorboy
ODB to those that know me

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tasajara (undergoing a total rebuild), Giant NRS, Giant OCR C3

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like cable stretch to me. New bike, 200 miles? Yeah, check cables first and adjust. That costs nothing. Then if that's not it start with the chain, cogs and derailier. My money is on the cable stretch. One thing not mentioned is a rear hub issue but usually it happens with quite a bit more age.
Old 08-23-05, 11:02 AM
nodnerb

Bikes: 2022 Marin Team Marin 2

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Could be a loose cassette. My outer three cogs (the free cogs) on the cassette I'm replacing can rotate about 10 degrees back and forth from being loose or worn. If I hold the larger cogs steady I can actually move the three smallest cogs by hand. I can't see cable stretch doing that though.
Old 08-23-05, 01:20 PM
gingerbread
Beginner Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
same kind of thing was happening to me - i found out i had bent my rear deraileur
Old 08-24-05, 12:09 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Time to take it in for a free tune up. (Something that nearly every shop gives at least one of when you buy a new bike) Beyond that it's nothing more than cable stretch
Old 08-24-05, 07:23 AM
outdoorboy
ODB to those that know me

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tasajara (undergoing a total rebuild), Giant NRS, Giant OCR C3

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, Raiyn and I agree on a fix without seeing the bike! How cool is that?
Old 08-24-05, 07:53 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nothing unusual in this case. I see it constantly. The whole 200 miles + a month old thing clinched it for me
Old 08-24-05, 10:54 AM
nodnerb

Bikes: 2022 Marin Team Marin 2

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
I still don't see how cable stretch can cause what he is explaining. The derailleur is already in th correct position, not moving, and fully in gear, but yet he is still getting a 10 degree slip before catching. I just don't see how the cable has anything to do with it at that point. I still say it HAS to be a loose cassette from what he is saying. I'll also be it only happens in the highest 3 or 4 gears that are not mounted permanently to the large cogs.
Old 08-25-05, 12:08 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nodnerb
I still don't see how cable stretch can cause what he is explaining. The derailleur is already in th correct position, not moving, and fully in gear, but yet he is still getting a 10 degree slip before catching. I just don't see how the cable has anything to do with it at that point. I still say it HAS to be a loose cassette from what he is saying. I'll also be it only happens in the highest 3 or 4 gears that are not mounted permanently to the large cogs.
Did you see how new the bike is? I guarantee it's cable stretch. A loose cassette would give much more inconsistant shifting than what is being experienced.
Old 10-27-05, 07:14 AM
dundrummer

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is a few months old, but I thought I might add my comments for future reference. Like Carbon Blue, I also own a Hardrock, and I have also experienced nasty problems with gears "slipping" when you put a bit of pressure on the pedals. The bike was new when I bought it and I had the problem from the word go. It is espicially bad going up hills - so much so that the bike was almost unusable and you would have to get off and walk. Unusually for an irish summer - 2005 has been a lot drier then normal so the problem had appeared to correct itself. Then along comes one of the wettist Octobers in years and the problem returned with a vengence. So it seems to me that water must be a factor, and after liberally dosing the chain and gear mechs with WD-40 I have not had a problem in a week. I'm not a bike mechanic and no next to nothing about the mysterious goings on under my saddle. No doubt WD-40 is doing terrible things down there but what the hey - I can now accelerate from a stationary position and go up hills without any bother. Grand stuff!
Old 10-28-05, 12:46 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dundrummer
. So it seems to me that water must be a factor, and after liberally dosing the chain and gear mechs with WD-40 I have not had a problem in a week.
Were you actually using a chain lube in the first place? There are COUNTLESS numbers of inexpensive proper chainlubes on the market why in the heck would you want to use the one thing guarenteeed to send your drivetrain to an early demise? Do a search here on WD40 and I guarentee you'll never use the **** again on a bike.
I'm not a bike mechanic
I hadn't guessed
and no next to nothing about the mysterious goings on under my saddle.
Then why not ask someone who does? You found your way here.
No doubt WD-40 is doing terrible things down there
Better believe it. WD40 isn't a true lubricant. It's water displacement formula 40.
but what the hey - I can now accelerate from a stationary position and go up hills without any bother. Grand stuff!
Grand stuff my eye.
Go to your local bike or motorcycle shop and get a can of Boesheild T-9 lubricant
I apologize for being a touch harsh, but you stepped on a major pet peeve of mine. Rusty drivelines are one of my least favorite things, (although replacing them is worth a good deal of money) The one thing the folks who bring me these bikes have in common? You guessed it they lubed thier stuff with WD40
Old 10-28-05, 01:53 AM
xshim_myx

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it happened to me too...it might be your gears...check if the teeth on it aren't worn down.
Old 10-29-05, 11:25 AM
Prozakk
Banned.

Location: Home (don't change this back to "my own personal hell", Mr. Powermad Moderator, and/or computer savvy hacker).
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame flex can sometimes cause this problem too.
Old 11-22-05, 03:34 PM
biggsmoothe
suburban rasta mon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry to bring back this old thread, but i'm having the same problem. i just got an '05 Rockhopper Comp - probably 2 weeks old, and when i apply hard pressure on the pedals, the chain slips. same ring, same gear, but its like it slips off of one link and catches the next. could it be cable stretch this soon?
Old 11-22-05, 07:33 PM
iamthetas

Bikes: Devinci Guzzler, 04 Canadian version

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn

I apologize for being a touch harsh

who are you and what did you do with Raiyn?
Old 11-22-05, 08:12 PM
xshim_myx

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm actually getting it fixed right now by ordering a new cassette and i assumed it cause of the worn down teeth. if it's a pretty old bike, that's probably it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.