Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I completed my first century today

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-12, 09:50 PM
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I completed my first century today. It was a solo, self-supported ride of 102 miles. I had originally signed-up to take part in an organized century (the Three Creek Century in Harrisburg, Pa.) this coming Sunday, but a cold front blew through this past weekend, and when I saw the forecast for today, I realized it was for near-perfect cycling weather, and I decided to go for it on my own. I am glad I did.

It was a glorious ride. The temperature ranged from 68 degrees through 73 degrees, with extremely low humidity (the dew point was 44 degrees). It was sunny most of the time, with a deep blue sky and puffy white clouds. The only down side to the weather was that it became a little windy, and on some parts of the ride I was battling 14 mph headwinds.

I utilized all the tips I learned in this and other sub-forums here on BikeForums. I ate before I was hungry and drank before I was thirsty, and I was surprised at how strongly I finished. I defintely was tired, but I wasn't completely wiped out.

Now I can check this off my cycling "bucket list".

My only regret is that I was so concerned about managing my food and water that I couldn't figure out a way of carrying my camera. It was a very beautiful day riding along the Schuylkill River on the Schuylkill River Trail where I conducted the ride, and I would have liked to to have taken a couple of snapshots to remember it by. Oh, well--I'll have to get a small carrying bag of some sort before I tackle my next century.
Old 09-10-12, 10:08 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Unsupported solo is not the ideal for the first century but you did it. That is the first hurdle over with so now it is up to you.

Something about that first distance ride so well done and try to get the camera working for the next one. We have to know what Pie was had.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-10-12, 10:24 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Well done.

Now, get your camera and go do it again.
Old 09-11-12, 06:23 AM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Good job, B K. Managing fuel and fluids for a long ride is a critical aspect of success, and it sounds as if you got it right. Congratulations.
Old 09-11-12, 02:51 PM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Banded K!

Well Done!

Jeff, still fat
Old 09-11-12, 04:26 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Great Effort.....get some rest.

Old 09-11-12, 04:35 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Banded Krait

My only regret is that I was so concerned about managing my food and water that I couldn't figure out a way of carrying my camera. It was a very beautiful day riding along the Schuylkill River on the Schuylkill River Trail where I conducted the ride, and I would have liked to to have taken a couple of snapshots to remember it by. Oh, well--I'll have to get a small carrying bag of some sort before I tackle my next century.
I carry a small Fujifilm XP compact in my back pocket on all my rides. It works well enough for snapshots, and I've gotten some quite nice photos (stuff I would never have got off a phone camera) at good resolution. The advantage of the XP is that it is waterproof. I used to carry a Canon compact, one of the old ones when they still had viewfinders, but condensation from body heat got into the LCD display and killed it. The Fujifilm easily survives that, plus the odd drop. Being one of the latest generations of digitals, it's also very thin, so it can go in the same pocket as some of the food. But if you are a real photographer and need a camera with a viewfinder, you're on your own!

Luis
Old 09-12-12, 06:58 PM
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Luis. As I mentioned, this was a self-supported ride, so my jersey pockets were full with my food for half the ride. I arranged my route so that at the midway point I arrived back at the point where I had parked my car, so I could re-stock my food and water. There was simply no place to carry a camera. I plan on buying a small bag in the future so I can carry a camera during these long rides.
Old 09-12-12, 07:42 PM
islandseas

Bikes: Trek 7.3 WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on your century.....I also do most of my rides solo and so far my longest ride has been 45km.....I'd love to try it in a group when I've built up some more time on the bike and lost a few more lbs. I have a little container from MEC here in Canada that fits between the stem and the top of crossbar....it doesn't get in the way and I can fit my little camera and my cellphone in it.....pretty handy. Karen
Old 09-12-12, 08:58 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
You'd have to get a recumbent to carry a camera like I do. My very small Canon hangs on a short neck strap and rests - inside a small neoprene case - on my lower chest/upper abdomen, which wouldn't work if I weren't reclined. I don't take a lot of pictures but it's ready whenever I am. I can shoot one-handed while riding, too, but cannot guarantee the quality of the image.

Congrats on the Century!

Last edited by JanMM; 09-15-12 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 07:23 AM
Mort Canard

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
B.K.
Well done on the solo century! You should find group centuries a breeze now.

When you are looking for a carry pack do not scrimp on the size. I am a firm believer in Grant Peterson's suggestion that you should be able to carry a heavy sweater and a couple of pounds of broccoli on your bicycle. You never know when you might run across a roadside fruit & veggie stand and want to carry some back or come across a find on the side of the road and want to pack it back. A larger pack also gives you the opportunity to tote along some rain gear and a more complete tool kit. I don't usually load the bike up all that much but I like to be able to carry as much as might be wanted or needed.
Old 09-13-12, 01:10 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Well done. Next step ... double metric century, (124 miles).
Old 09-13-12, 11:35 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Good job! I just did my first century in 10 yrs. last saturday. I'd only did a 58 miler prior to it, so it was a great feeling. Congrats to you!
Old 09-14-12, 02:53 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
For tours I use a small bento bag that fastens to the top tube and steerer. The one I have has a flap with velcro that keeps the camera from jumping out. I can easily reach in and grab the camera and take pictures while I'm riding. You can find them for $10-$20 depending on the manufacturer, style etc. hint-I use small piece of tape on the straps on the top tube to keep it perfectly positioned in the upright position. Otherwise it tended to slide slightly to one side. I put the tape on the bottom of the top tube so it's not visible. The entire installation takes seconds.

Congrats on the century!

If hadn't left my new Nikon camera with 18x zoom in a golf cart I'd still have it......Only time I ever really used it was on Ride the Rockies this year.........
Old 09-14-12, 08:03 AM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good Job, bandedkrait.
Jann, where was that pic taken?
Old 09-14-12, 11:36 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Congrats on the first century! Feels good, doesnt it? Mine was just like yours, solo/unsupported/clear/cool/windy.

The only let down was coming back into our small town (a biking mecca of sorts) I'd expected both sides of the street lined up and cheering. Oh well.
Old 09-14-12, 03:41 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by az_cyclist
Good Job, bandedkrait.
Jann, where was that pic taken?
That ride originated in Metamora, in southeastern Indiana. Lots of scenic hilly roads.
Old 09-14-12, 03:47 PM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JanMM
That ride originated in Metamora, in southeastern Indiana. Lots of scenic hilly roads.
I have been to Metamora (isnt the canal there?). The pic reminded me of Monroe and Owen Counties.
Old 09-14-12, 07:51 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by az_cyclist
I have been to Metamora (isnt the canal there?). The pic reminded me of Monroe and Owen Counties.
Yes, I saw the canal for the first time. No canal in Monroe or Owen counties, but lots of windy country roads and some steep hills, some of which will be on the Hilly Hundred route a month from now.