Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Biting Off More Than I Can Chew or Rather Pedal 100 Mile Birthday Ride

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Biting Off More Than I Can Chew or Rather Pedal 100 Mile Birthday Ride

Old 02-03-18, 08:37 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,776 Times in 1,405 Posts
Best wishes!

I certainly know of major health crisis, I was hit with a one two punch in 2017. While seemingly slow, I have progressed. Although I am having a few puffed cheese balls while writing this and there are a few things I'll need to undergo in 2018. I don't know how healthcare workers do it, it is so gross.

Anyhow, I digress. I have big riding plans too for 2018. Since a kid, I have always wanted to ride to our cabin. I toured as a kid but now I am strictly a one-day hard-effort rider who then takes a recovery day. I have been getting prepared for the ride (in June) (the puffed cheese balls are not helping) but it will be a difficult 5 days of riding. I do know if I get overwhelmed, I can always stay an extra night along the route and I can make a call for SAG.

The point being is I would keep your goal but know there are worse things if you don't complete it. Progress forward is enough.
Old 02-03-18, 08:39 AM
crandress 

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Vincitore, Bridgestone MB3, Atala Corsa GS, Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1953 Terrot

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
First, feel better dear! Then, if everything is stable, I agree with the others here, you can do it! I am not coming back from anything medical, but unfortunately have been pretty sedentary since moving to Iowa two years ago. This is my year too, to get back on the bike and work up to some big rides in July and August. I am sure we can both to it. Good luck and feel better, get better!! Chris

Crapmaster Emeritus
Old 02-03-18, 09:24 AM
johnlp37

Bikes: '88 Centurion Ironman, '97 Jamis Eclipse,'84 Ron Stout, '89 Miyata 1400, '82 Miyata 1000,'88 Schwinn Tempo, '84 Fuji Touring Series IV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good luck!
Old 02-03-18, 09:35 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Man, keep the positive attitude, and do what you're told to do by the docs. Hate it when someone calls, "CORPSMAN UP!!!!" Afib is getting the attention it should have had all along, serious stuff if let go, I have an appointment to look further into mine this Thursday. Keep things in perspective BG, you have everyone here on your side.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-03-18, 04:54 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
You can do it, but two things:
1-Don't procrastinate with those workouts. Seriously.
2-Don't overdo those workouts. Seriously.

We care. Bank on that.

As far as your ability to bounce back, keep the Semper Fi.
Been there, done that, and cycling is the best thing I've done for myself since.

You owe it to yourself. Need something? Ask.
Old 02-03-18, 06:31 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,488 Posts
Home again and relaxing.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-03-18, 06:58 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
bianchigirll- You're brave to speak openly and only wish you the very best. Secondly, please don't take my word, opinion or made liable as I'm no expert, nor qualified but do take interest in this subject.

Some years ago I did use a basic HR monitor though became frustrated in the inconsistency of it. Eventually gave it up yet here again this last year started to get into the monitoring, data study. The products and tools available today are excellent.... priced very low too! Learning your heart, thresholds, etc. is the biggest part of conditioning. There's an amazing volume of info online to read up on and the use of these new brilliant hr devices- guidance to help safely get you to the goal. I can't emphasize more and its something you really need to do.

My bike may be old tech, but the potential life saver device is the modern HRM. Spinning is for conditioning and mashing is for muscle building. Be well!
Old 02-03-18, 08:53 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Home again and relaxing.
That's the best thing, sometimes, just relaxing. 🙂
I'll include you in my prayers.
Old 02-03-18, 09:06 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I've been single for over 18 years so the cat won't chide me about my poor manners while eating.
Old 02-03-18, 09:14 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
good luck from ex-Fort Wayne resident

You can do it! I've in the past (a couple times) used the Whatever you can run (or ride) in a half day once a week can be doubled (but slower) for a special event. I used that rule for both running a marathon and bike centuries. And I'm going to use it this spring again. And yes, the weather and riding roads are WAY better down here!
Old 02-04-18, 07:24 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I don't know about your goal. I understand some people benefit from these things, which I applaud, but I've also seen people adopt a borderline realistic goal, make good progress toward that goal, but hit some turbulence, fall behind (all of which is fine) and give up. No. Don't take the goal so seriously. Just ride your bike.

How about this for a goal: ride your bike this week. I don't care how much. Ride your bike MORE the next week. And more, the next week. And so on, until you can do 25 miles. Then maintain, trying to do more each month than the month before.

I think that will get you there. It'll help, anyway.

Just ride, don't train.
+2, especially with that latest visit with the lab coats.
Old 02-04-18, 09:51 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
I'm with @rhm. Ride first, enough to collect some data on what and how you are doing. After that, set some goals. I found ridewithgps to be tremendously helpful. I have the paid version, but the free one is fairly full featured, too. One reason I wanted the paid one was that it allows me to say which bike I was on for each ride. Most valuable to me is how many miles per day, week, month, and year. I was trying to improve my average speed and had a lot of trouble at that. I increased my effort bit by bit, but my speed wasn't increasing. Then I looked at the graph that showed me how much time I spent at each speed. I noticed a plateau at 13 mph. Aha. So I rode to keep the readout above 13. Bam. My average went up sharply.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-07-18, 05:45 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Thank you everyone for the encouragement and advice. I might have a bit of a snag. I ended up in hospital again last night with a Afib episode. Hopefully it is isolated and if I watch my diet better it won’t come back. That **** is scary.
Sorry to hear this. Atrial Fibrillation is a real bear as it can compromise your cardiac output, and it has the potential to create blood clots that can be real trouble. Do the docs plan to put you on some cardiac meds to slow your heart down, control the rhythm or anti-coagulants / aspirin?

And what was it in your diet that might be related?

Maybe consider a medic alert bracelet with some of this diagnosis info on it, plus always carry a cell phone with emergency numbers in it.
Old 02-07-18, 06:36 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,532 Posts
Go slow and simple...... even walking around the block. If you have one use a HR monitor to both work hard enough and not too hard (I have an old one with a chest band that I don't use....I would throw it in the mail to you if that would help ) edit: of course following your doctor's instructions

Last edited by squirtdad; 02-07-18 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-07-18, 06:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
I've found when I wanted or needed to change my diet, it was easier for me to change it gradually rather than completely and suddenly. Something to consider. I can learn slowly what to buy/make/order without any difficult choices.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-07-18, 07:19 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Thanks again for all the well wishes and great advice.

Another trip to the V.A. ER this morning but back home and feeling good!

I am rethinking my Century route and maybe instead of touring the country side I better find an in town route, maybe connecting the MUPs.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-07-18, 08:34 PM
brandon98

Bikes: Schwinns: Paramount (Waterford), Peloton (1986 and 1999), 1987 Super Sport. Offbrand bikes: Bianchi Intenso, Diamondback Interval TG (Ironman), Peugeot Triathlon, Masi CX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Check your PMs.
Old 02-07-18, 09:38 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
I know what you are going through BG....
I never mentioned it here yet, but I had my own "Cardiac crisis" early in January, last year. Will not bore everyone on the details, but it was Jan7ary 7, 2017 > Heart failure > ER >three stents > Three weeks ICU and PT > 1 year recovery to maybe about 90 percent to what I was before the "event" > Have not done a real ride since the crisis, except for a few short test rides on my recent builds.
My goal is to start riding again by spring if the doctors clears me for it.....
I will think of you on my rides when it finally happens! WE CAN BEAT THIS BG!!
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 02-08-18, 06:18 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Chombi1
I know what you are going through BG....
I never mentioned it here yet, but I had my own "Cardiac crisis" early in January, last year. Will not bore everyone on the details, but it was Jan7ary 7, 2017 > Heart failure > ER >three stents > Three weeks ICU and PT > 1 year recovery to maybe about 90 percent to what I was before the "event" > Have not done a real ride since the crisis, except for a few short test rides on my recent builds.
My goal is to start riding again by spring if the doctors clears me for it.....
I will think of you on my rides when it finally happens! WE CAN BEAT THIS BG!!
WOW! that is just awful. Luckily I only needed one and was cleared back to work. I thought I was in the clear on the road to recovery but this Afib thing is really bringing me down. Another thing is I always thought if I had my health and my CDL I would always be OK but now I really have neither.

But we will beat this!

On the bright side I waas told yesterday snow shoveling is a definite NO NO!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-08-18, 06:21 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by noglider
I've found when I wanted or needed to change my diet, it was easier for me to change it gradually rather than completely and suddenly. Something to consider. I can learn slowly what to buy/make/order without any difficult choices.
I am always trying to change my diet and the last few months have been real good about staying away from fast food and to an extent chips and the like. I've never been a bit green veggie and fruit type but I am trying to eat more of what I like and more grains. Fortunately for me I actually happen to like shredded wheat cereal and oatmeal!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-08-18, 07:04 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by crank_addict
bianchigirll- You're brave to speak openly and only wish you the very best. Secondly, please don't take my word, opinion or made liable as I'm no expert, nor qualified but do take interest in this subject.

Some years ago I did use a basic HR monitor though became frustrated in the inconsistency of it. Eventually gave it up yet here again this last year started to get into the monitoring, data study. The products and tools available today are excellent.... priced very low too! Learning your heart, thresholds, etc. is the biggest part of conditioning. There's an amazing volume of info online to read up on and the use of these new brilliant hr devices- guidance to help safely get you to the goal. I can't emphasize more and its something you really need to do.

My bike may be old tech, but the potential life saver device is the modern HRM. Spinning is for conditioning and mashing is for muscle building. Be well!
Yeah I have a love hate relationship with both of mine. The one on the Garmin is better but then I have to carry a GPS around. My 20yo +/- Sigma Sport keeps losing the signal from the sending unit. I need a new on but cash is in short supply. On the plus side I think the V.A. is a sending a home BP unit!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-08-18, 07:13 AM
palincss

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
I am rethinking my Century route and maybe instead of touring the country side I better find an in town route, maybe connecting the MUPs.
If your MUPs are like mine, that's apt to be both slower and more dangerous. Personally, I wouldn't consider it.
Old 02-08-18, 10:04 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
WOW! that is just awful. Luckily I only needed one and was cleared back to work. I thought I was in the clear on the road to recovery but this Afib thing is really bringing me down. Another thing is I always thought if I had my health and my CDL I would always be OK but now I really have neither.

But we will beat this!

On the bright side I waas told yesterday snow shoveling is a definite NO NO!
Even being out using a snowblower is a bad idea, simply because you're out in cold weather, and trying to push/manhandle a snowblower around while breathing cold air. All of that type of activity is putting stress on your heart.

There are any number of relatively small digital readout pulse oximeters available from Walmart or Amazon that can be worn on a finger while doing an activity not involving your hands. They are a little bulky at first.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zacurate-...&wl13=&veh=sem

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zacurate-...&wl13=&veh=sem

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Finger-Pu...aBSsjzNg_l-LGA
Old 02-08-18, 10:17 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
motivation is so personal, sounds like you just got some, albeit compulsory. good luck!
EDIT: hang in there, be a good patient, we'll be rooting for ya!
Old 02-08-18, 10:43 AM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Best wishes!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.