Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Bike maintenance stands ....

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Bike maintenance stands ....

Old 01-25-18, 11:02 AM
ggoytia1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lucked out on a discounted price (missing two bolts/open box) from aldi. Has had alot of neighbor and thier kids bikes, and my old steel bikes. Now to work on my mechanical skills...
Old 01-25-18, 07:17 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I have the Spin Doctor Pro G3 from Performance Bike and I'm very happy with it. Very sturdy, folds, and very adjustable. About $150.00 when on sale. I have no doubt that the Park stands are top notch but the Pro G3 is built as well, cheaper and you're not paying for the name.
Old 02-15-18, 03:40 PM
brandon98

Bikes: Schwinns: Paramount (Waterford), Peloton (1986 and 1999), 1987 Super Sport. Offbrand bikes: Bianchi Intenso, Diamondback Interval TG (Ironman), Peugeot Triathlon, Masi CX

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The Feedback Ultimate is a fantastic stand. The clamp is a work of art and the aluminum legs are very stout. It packs up small and is easy to carry if you ever do event support. I'm very happy with mine.
Old 02-15-18, 09:35 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
I put my bike up on the bike rack off the back of my Jeep and work on it from there. It's not as easy to walk around and get to from all angles, but it works. I sit outside and do my stuff and then put the bike back in the garage.
Old 02-15-18, 10:47 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
I have both Park and Feedback stands. Both are very stable. If you need to store your stand when not in use, the FB is the better bet. REI sells both and they are discount coupon eligible.
Old 02-16-18, 04:31 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
When my local Aldi was clearing out for refurbishing, they had 6 stands for $10 each - instead, I bought 6 pumps at $3 apiece. Gave all but two away, and wish I would have bought the stands too! Darn it!
Old 02-24-18, 05:19 AM
IamAlan

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp, 2006 Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I have the Spin Doctor Pro G3 from Performance Bike and I'm very happy with it. Very sturdy, folds, and very adjustable. About $150.00 when on sale. I have no doubt that the Park stands are top notch but the Pro G3 is built as well, cheaper and you're not paying for the name.
Plus One on the Pro G3.
Old 03-08-18, 02:21 PM
hcgaloi

Bikes: Spcialized RockHopper (free) 1992 Trek T100 Tandem ($220) 2006 Quintana Roo Seduza ($350) 2016 Giant Fastroad ($1100)

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I made a mistake of buying 4 cheap stands which were not usable. But I still wanted to pay as little as possible, so I frequently checked Craigslist until a Spin doctor Pro G3 came up for $20. I'm very happy with it.
Old 03-08-18, 02:34 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15, '03 Litespeed Firenze

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
I have this wall mounted cheap one - it has two mounting flanges, and you can remove it from wall when not using.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Conquer-Wal...oAAOSw8-FaX5~Z
Old 03-08-18, 04:49 PM
mcgeggy

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale Synapse (105)

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phtomita
I have this wall mounted cheap one - it has two mounting flanges, and you can remove it from wall when not using.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Conquer-Wal...oAAOSw8-FaX5~Z
I was looking at that and it's sister (with the bent arm) on Amazon. I love the fact it comes with two wall mounts, and you can just take it out and store it so it's not sticking out inconveniently. Just seems so much more versatile, and cheap enough that if it doesn't hold up more than a few years no biggie...
Old 03-16-18, 03:25 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Believe it or not, I started building bikes on a car axle stand under the bottom bracket and built bikes up from bare frames using that.

I've also used a car tow bar carrier, both mounted on the car and clamped to a saw horse. This works really well and is a good option if you already have such a carrier and want to try out working on your bike.

I have one similar to this and it's fantastic for maintenance (tyres, chains, etc) but have also build complete bikes using it

The only real use I've found for my indoor trainer is as a workshop stand - dead solid and again, you can easily build a bike from the frame upwards.

I recently bought the Aldi stand. It's a great little stand for the price. However, if you clamp the seat post, the front wheel WILL hang down, it's really a 'clamp the top tube' job if you want the bike level - I only have steel frame bikes so that's not an issue.

If I was doing it all the time, I'd definitely buy a good stand because that's where you'll get the best results, but it's up to you if the money's worth it if it's only used occasionally.

My personal suggestion is to buy the hooked arrangement I showed above (lots of different brands about). If you start doing a lot of work on your bike, you'll want something better, but even then, it's fantastic for cleaning or weekly maintenance.
Old 03-16-18, 08:58 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
I recently bought the Aldi stand. It's a great little stand for the price. However, if you clamp the seat post, the front wheel WILL hang down, it's really a 'clamp the top tube' job if you want the bike level - I only have steel frame bikes so that's not an issue.
I agree, I would worry about clamping down the rotation of that arm, it feels lightweight enough that clamp might asplode. If I had the fortune of some others to find the stands for as low as $10 and I bought a second, I would experiment with drilling a couple holes at 45deg increments to secure that rotation by dropping a bolt through.