Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Where to get a frame blasted / powder coated in NC

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Where to get a frame blasted / powder coated in NC

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-20, 02:16 PM
lorenzo_de_leon

Bikes: '76 B-Stone Kabuki (SS) / '90 B-Stone MB-6 (1x5) / '94 B-Stone MB-6 (with bobike seat for the boy) / '96 Kona Hahanna / Salsa Journeyman (Claris 650b...for gravel or something...)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
HELP! Where to get a frame blasted / powder coated in NC

Hi all,
I recently got my hands on an old(ish) steel frame ('95 Kona Kapu) and am considering having it blasted and powder coated.

Have any of y'all in NC used a service for this? I live in Greensboro and would appreciate if anyone has some suggestions for a place in central NC - or anywhere in the state really...

Thanks!

Last edited by lorenzo_de_leon; 05-01-20 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Title change
Old 06-24-20, 11:49 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Don't live near or have any personal knowledge, but I did have a tandem frame powder coated a year ago.

There seem to be a bunch of powder coaters in your area.
Call them up and ask, you might be surprised at how many bike frames they have done. Questions I would
have relate to the media they use for cleaning the frame (almost always done via powder blasting). You would
want a fairly mild media to prevent erosion of the base metal. They should have plugs for the openings in the
frame, especially threaded ones. You will need to strip all parts off the frame and fork, if the fork is also to
be treated, including headset press fit bearing seats. The fork head tube will need to be masked off as well.
The color palette now available in powder is amazing and includes metallics (like auto paint) and it would be
a good idea to ask for a clear coat on top of the color coat.

I am assuming a bike like this: https://www.******.com/r/bicycling/c..._fast_and_fun/

Last edited by sch; 06-24-20 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-12-20, 06:54 AM
diggersml

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp; Otso Waheela C; Specialized Stumpjumper; Specialized Demo 8; Diamondback Ascent EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If still looking, Apex, NC. JC Powdercoating. Check out his Facebook page for photos. Has done BMX frame for World Champ.