Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Virginia Capital Trail - info needed.

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-20, 10:43 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts

My wife and I are planning to meet our daughter for a Thanksgiving bike ride as a Covid-safe get-together. The Va Capital Trail is equal driving distance and so looks like a great option. It looks most convenient to meet at Varina ( Mile marker 40 near the I-295 interchange). and ride southeast. Being that this will be on the holiday weekend and we're sensitive to the necessity of distancing, we're a bit worried about crowds. We're both driving about 2 hours to get to the trail so driving 20-30 minutes more to get out of the crowds is no problem.

Can anyone who frequents this trail provide some advice on how the crowded it may be at Varina vs. points further east. Thanks much.
Old 11-18-20, 04:22 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
You should be good going east from Four Mile Creek Trailhead. The parking lot gets crowded but most folks are going to Dorey Park into Richmond. The trail is lightly traveled all the way to Chickahominy Riverfront Park, but from the park to Jamestown it is busier. My favorite ride is to park at Jamestown Settlement and then do the Jamestown Island loop(hardly a soul on this part) and then up to Chickahominy(can get busy) and back to Jamestown. There is a real nice coffee shop called the Spoke and Art going to Chicahominy. You have the weather on your side also as the temperature has dropped and the riders/walkers are less this time of the year.

Last edited by themp; 11-18-20 at 07:06 PM.
Likes For themp:
Old 11-19-20, 08:31 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Thanks, this info was just what I was looking for.
Old 11-19-20, 09:55 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
There is a real nice coffee shop called the Spoke and Art going to Chicahominy. You have the weather on your side also as the temperature has dropped and the riders/walkers are less this time of the year.
Is Spoke and Art finally open?! I've been riding by, hoping to see it open, for years. I have in-laws in Williamsburg, they're just 5 or 6 miles north of the Jamestown, and I usually bring a bike and ride whenever we visit. We're frequently there for the holidays and I'll echo your sentiment - the roads and trails are very sparse when the temp drops (and it's still plenty comfy for me, as a Minnesotan).
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-19-20, 08:50 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
The owner has been working on the place for a few years and this summer/fall it was completed: https://www.spokeandart.com/
Likes For themp: