Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to keep a Super Record seat post from slipping?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-13, 07:08 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

single bolt, micro-adjust but without grooves or knurling on either the cradle or the clamp insert. I found some threads in the mechanics subforum saying "you can't ", but maybe C&V knows better. What will help? Tape? Sandpaper? (I'd rather not damage this nice little post, so I'll just post here first before trying something rash )
Likes For Italuminium:
Old 06-26-13, 07:15 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
????

I've never had one slip.

I take it that you are referring to the saddle slipping in the cradle.

Do you have one that slips?

I would imagine that a good de-grease would help plus an inspection of the mating surfaces to remove any high spots.

This is very interesting indeed.
Old 06-26-13, 07:38 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

The saddle is tilting backwards as I ride, sorry if that wasn't clear. The fore-aft position of the saddle stays the same (or at least changes as little as unnoticable). From what I saw on google it's a pretty common problem, leading to later posts having knurls or grooves for the micro-adjusting.
Likes For Italuminium:
Old 06-26-13, 07:56 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Originally Posted by Italuminium
The saddle is tilting backwards as I ride, sorry if that wasn't clear. The fore-aft position of the saddle stays the same (or at least changes as little as unnoticable). From what I saw on google it's a pretty common problem, leading to later posts having knurls or grooves for the micro-adjusting.
Wow. Thanks Italuminium. This is most interesting. I will be really interested to find out what causes the slipping and how to stop it.
Old 06-26-13, 08:24 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
So it's like this one? (photo from Velobase)

What about a bit of loctite on the mating surfaces? I've never tried any such thing, just brainstorming.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 06-26-13, 08:27 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'll bet fitting a small piece of fine sandpaper with a dab of this between the two surfaces will solve the issue.
Likes For ColonelJLloyd:
Old 06-26-13, 08:29 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Yup Duo Ruote, that's the one.

And Justin, thanks for the tip, I'm going to try to find that stuff.
Old 06-26-13, 08:33 AM
norskagent
car dodger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 61 Posts
I had a similar problem w/ my SR post a few years ago, I think I greased the bolt threads and torqued it a little tighter than it was. The saddle hasn't budged since. Even with a proper box wrench it's hard to torque that bolt enough due its low profile, if you aren't careful the wrench will slip off before it's tight enough.
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Likes For norskagent:
Old 06-26-13, 08:38 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by norskagent
I had a similar problem w/ my SR post a few years ago, I think I greased the bolt threads and torqued it a little tighter than it was..
+1 and be sure to add a drop of lube under the bolt head.
Old 06-26-13, 09:12 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

I had a similar problem w/ my SR post a few years ago, I think I greased the bolt threads and torqued it a little tighter than it was. The saddle hasn't budged since. Even with a proper box wrench it's hard to torque that bolt enough due its low profile, if you aren't careful the wrench will slip off before it's tight enough.
Glad it worked for you, because I went this route on the advice of some earlier threads, and it didn't work
Old 06-26-13, 09:20 AM
norskagent
car dodger

Have you tried friction paste? It helped with my moving seatpost and creaking handlebars.
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
Likes For norskagent:
Old 06-26-13, 09:22 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Have you tried friction paste? It helped with my moving seatpost and creaking handlebars.
Nope, didn't knew there was such a thing until Justin pointed it out a few posts up.
Old 06-26-13, 03:19 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I have one of those as well as a couple of late Simplexes that look suspiciously like copies. Simplex used a socket head bolt instead of the hex head so you can apply more torque without danger of slipping. It's a better idea, but they blew it by using a bolt with a black oxide finish that tends to rust.
Old 06-26-13, 03:27 PM
Gary Fountain

Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I have one of those as well as a couple of late Simplexes that look suspiciously like copies. Simplex used a socket head bolt instead of the hex head so you can apply more torque without danger of slipping. It's a better idea, but they blew it by using a bolt with a black oxide finish that tends to rust.
Cinelli supplied an bright alloy socket headed replacement bolt with their Unicantor saddle as part of their VIP set to replace the Campy SR seat post bolt. It was longer to compensate for the saddle's thicker (vertically) arms. It could be tightened-up pretty well but it needed a bit of grease on the thread and under the head to help stop binding.
Old 06-26-13, 04:36 PM
look171

Bikes: Casati, Look, Torelli, Ridley, and a bunch of steel bikes from the 80s and the 90s..

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tighten it a little more. it wouldn't hurt anything. I crank them down when even I change saddle.
Old 06-26-13, 04:43 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Wow, even greasing the bolt ain't workin', eh? That cures it 9.99 times out of 10. Grip grease, clean everything, grease the bolt threads and bolt head seating surface and tighten like heck!
Old 06-26-13, 04:52 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
this is what I would try first since you already have greased all the threads and washer/bolt head (the washer and head is very important).

If that doesn't work it is on to the next. Sand either the underside of the lower cradle or the head of the post.. unless there are already marks showing uneven contact points. If you can see that the contact is not even then I would sand the piece you think is less even and try again with friction past. It can't hurt to go at both surfaces with a coarser emery cloth just to rough them up before you apply the friction paste. I would go this route before trying something like sandpaper in there as I like things to work without have to add a band-aid. I have to shim the seatpost on my 2011 mountain bike and it pisses me off to no end.
Old 06-26-13, 05:45 PM
norskagent
car dodger

Any good bike store should give you a small packet of friction paste just for asking - they come with some new bikes for assembly. Maybe buy a tube or something if they hook you up.
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
Old 06-26-13, 08:00 PM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Make sure all the parts are clean and oil free, then only apply a bit of grease to the bolt threads and tighten down real tight.
Old 02-20-21, 02:49 PM
rayhosler

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Inner tube

My SR post is 41 years old and has at least 180K miles. It started slipping -- seat tilting back. I'm trying a slice of innertube on the lower rocker. Will let you know after I do a ride if this will work. It needs about 20 miles to start slipping. The issue might also be one where I can't tighten it down enough. I may try a socket wrench if this doesn't work.
Likes For rayhosler:
Old 02-20-21, 09:35 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Just throwing this out there.....

I solved this problem on a full carbon, laprade-style seatpost clamp by putting a strip of friction tape on the cradle. It lasted like that as long as I needed it to.
Old 02-23-21, 10:41 AM
rayhosler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Epic fail. It got worse with the innertube. I used a socket wrench to crank it down. One with a hinged head allowed me to get a good grip and position. I'll see if this works.
Likes For rayhosler:
Old 02-23-21, 12:07 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by rayhosler
Epic fail. It got worse with the innertube. I used a socket wrench to crank it down. One with a hinged head allowed me to get a good grip and position. I'll see if this works.
Of course it did. When you sat on it, the tension on the bolt head lessened, just as with a bottom spoke.

Single-bolt seat-clamps are a Bad Idea. Those with serrations are going to be never-just-right for some people; those without either rely on extreme clamping pressure or on a toothed spacer under the bolt head - an even worse idea as that makes its own serrations, each one a potential crack-forming stress raiser.

Except for access, the two-bolt and the simplex-pattern are better. Snug each one up, a little extra and it's done - and if it's a half a degree off you can tweak that no trouble.
Old 02-23-21, 02:53 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I've used sandpaper to good effect. IIRC all mine needed was some wet/dry something like 400 grit, maybe I used 320
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Likes For Ex Pres:
Old 02-24-21, 09:19 PM
rayhosler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I used a socket wrench and now the seat is no longer moving, but I found a crack in the lower seat rail clamp. Time for a new seatpost. Photos on my wordpress blog.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.