Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mustache bars

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mustache bars

Old 02-07-19, 11:23 AM
Force 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 62 Posts
Mustache bars

Hello - I just picked up a Bridgestone X0-3 and wanted to try mustache bars, but I've never used them. I would appreciate some info about positives and negatives. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-07-19, 11:30 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 2,199 Posts
I like mine

Old 02-07-19, 11:33 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 246 Posts
i had them on a TREK 420 sport tourer for a while. I switched back to drop bars to make it my official road bike.
i liked them OK, but the way I set it up with areo levers i had to go pretty far forward to reach the brakes.

they are currently hanging in my garage for a bike. or maybe a new home......

oh - i flipped them to "priest" bars to get more up & a bit higher.

Old 02-07-19, 12:01 PM
Wharf Rat

Bikes: Miyata 610, Miyata 710, Cannondale SM500

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I’ve got a set of Rivendells albastache bars on my Cannondale commuter. I love them. I had drops on there but I never used the drops the mustaches are great. Lots of hand positions you can get semi upright on the ends or drop down aero in the curves or up on the hoods. Brakes look a little weird, but work great. All pros, I don’t see any cons.

Old 02-07-19, 12:42 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
I had some Nitto ones and liked them OK on my Stumpjumper, but eventually switched to Midge drop bars. What I liked was pretty much covered by the previous poster. One negative is I like to use a bar mounted light and there was basically no straight part on the bar to mount one.
I have seen some people set them up with saddle-bar drop, but most say you want them level or higher. Also you will typically need a shorter than usual stem.
Old 02-07-19, 12:49 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Depending on the frame top tube length and converting from a drop bar, you might consider changing the stem as well. Possibly to a shorter length.

I like them but only for the less occasionally used riders. One is a fixed gear and other is a single speed. Only get two hand positions. Prefer the setup with a slope down, easier and more natural for the wrist.

Bargain brand is Origin 8. Have both in aluminum and steel. The only negative is the sparkle metallic coating on the steel and the aluminum bar has a fine bead blast type of finishing. Neither had the look to match my builds. I sanded both and then polished up to the desired sheen.
Old 02-07-19, 02:09 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 703 Posts
I tried a set, but found them to be uncomfortable on the wrists and palm of the hand. Gave them to my friend Tim and he complained of the same thing. He gave them to Dave and they have been on his bike ever since. Not for everyone, but they do work for someone!
Old 02-07-19, 02:17 PM
Wharf Rat

Bikes: Miyata 610, Miyata 710, Cannondale SM500

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
My Albastache bars are slightly different than the traditional mustache. They’re a mix between albatross(north roads) and the original mustache. I have them on a slightly higher, slightly shorter stem. I say if you don’t use the drop position very much you’ll probably like them. I have just enough room for my light next to the stem.
Old 02-07-19, 02:20 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked 2,025 Times in 1,243 Posts
Originally Posted by Force
Hello - I just picked up a Bridgestone X0-3 and wanted to try mustache bars, but I've never used them. I would appreciate some info about positives and negatives. Thanks in advance!
You won't know until you try them, as I did.

Hate is a strong word but...
Old 02-07-19, 02:35 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
I'm tempted to try the Soma Condors ~--~
Old 02-07-19, 02:45 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
I've had Nitto Mustache bars on my town bike for years.
They work very well for that and allowed the re-use of a pair of old Campag non-aero levers and ST barcon that were just sitting in a box.

-Bandera
Old 02-07-19, 02:49 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 3,754 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Depending on the frame top tube length and converting from a drop bar, you might consider changing the stem as well. Possibly to a shorter length.
This is good advice. Along with possibly raising the stem a bit for less saddle to bar drop.

I have em on my fixed gear which is set up as crank addict has advised putting me in a slightly more upright position. I find it comfortable enough (even though there are fewer hand positions than a drop bar) for long distances (for example, the one day STP double century and 150 mile RAMROD).
The only negative I've experienced personally is the lack of a true aero position when dealing with headwinds. Putting your hands one the brake hoods and bending your elbows only goes so far and is tiring for my skinny tyrannosaurus like arms..

IMG_1195 by NBend, on Flickr
Old 02-07-19, 03:14 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend
This is good advice. Along with possibly raising the stem a bit for less saddle to bar drop.

I have em on my fixed gear which is set up as crank addict has advised putting me in a slightly more upright position. I find it comfortable enough (even though there are fewer hand positions than a drop bar) for long distances (for example, the one day STP double century and 150 mile RAMROD).
The only negative I've experienced personally is the lack of a true aero position when dealing with headwinds. Putting your hands one the brake hoods and bending your elbows only goes so far and is tiring for my skinny tyrannosaurus like arms..

IMG_1195 by NBend, on Flickr
Ramrod on a fixed gear...I have respect.
Old 02-07-19, 03:20 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 418 Posts
I've got Soma Mountain sized Moustache bars on a Bridgestone CB-1. I've got dummy stoker levers up front and feel relatively aero. I'm still messing with the fit, and realy only have 2 positions, but i kind of "get it" about the bars. I realy want to try a set with road levers and bar end shifters so my hands can roam around more.
Old 02-07-19, 03:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,791 Times in 1,795 Posts
Main drawback to mustache bars appears to be the weird brake position and reach. Most folks I've met locally who tried mustache bars eventually switched back to some form of drop bars, usually wider compact drops.

Best I can tell from conversations, they liked the mustache bars until they participated in large event rides, especially gravel. Then the drawbacks became apparent. It's easier to ride the hoods on conventional drop bars and reach the brakes more quickly. Wide compact drops solved the problem. Still plenty of width for barrel chested folks to breathe freely. Brakes in conventional position.

I use Nitto albatross bars on my old Univega Via Carisma. Very comfortable, brakes within easy reach from the swept back grip position, which is where I'd be in traffic or group rides. On solo rides I can lean forward into the forward arched portion of the bar to get a little more aero and improve hip adductor efficiency. If I had better neck and back flexibility I'd flip the albatross or other swept bars upside down, path racer style.
Old 02-07-19, 03:42 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
My thoughts are the same as @northbend's. Maybe because I also have skinny and weak arms. My commuter bike has mustache bars. I used a tall and short-extension stem. The bars allow me to vary the reach of my position but not the height, and that's good. I rarely use the drops of drop bars. But yes, there really aren't that many positions. They look like they would have as many as drops, but they don't. Some claim they can grab the hoods in the same way as on drops, but I can't figure that out.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-07-19, 07:48 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
I tried them and hated them. The only positive for me is that they look cool. The lack of a straight section next to the stem means that you've eliminated that "on the tops" position that drop bars have. Also, the handgrip location makes me twist my wrists into an awkward unergonomic position useless for riding any great distance.
Old 02-07-19, 09:21 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 151 Posts
I tried them and Nitto North Road bars, but didn't really care much for either. They had a pretty wide variety of positions, but all seemed mediocre. Then on a lark, I tried Nitto Porteur bars (on my porteur bike, which originally came with galdarn beach-cruiser bars) and with a slightly longer stem, they are the bee's-knees and the dog's-bollocks! Only two real positions (four if you don't mind going asymetric) and all options seem good.
Handlebars are like saddles: it might take a few before you find the apple of your ass' eye.

Edit: It might sound silly to see the tops as the aero position, and the "drops" as the relaxed/upright position, but with a slightly longer stem, you can bend at the arms while bringing them in and really get down there. I always remembered Andrea Tafi looked lower on the tops than the riders he was dropping who were all down in the drops.

Last edited by calamarichris; 02-07-19 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 09:51 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 192 Posts
I tried mustache bars a couple of times on different bikes and could never get comfortable with them as they were too wide for my shoulders, and led to hand and wrist pain when used offroad. Unlike Tom @noglider, I did find the 'over the ends of the brake levers' comfortable as I stretched out in a position sort of like aerobars, just wider, but I couldn't spend time enough there to justify putting up with the other drawbacks. Note that I think the secret to making such a position tenable is that you have the have the levers point straight ahead so that there's enough area available to grip... lever shape matters too.

Like @calamarichris I have experimented with a variety of bars, and I do have one bike set up with some very narrow old cruiser/3-speed bars installed upside-down, and those work well for me because they're a perfect match for my narrow shoulder width. I still prefer drop bars for almost everything, but on a commuting bike where I want to be semi-upright they're just the thing - plus I can still use the ends of my brake levers (I use STI levers mounted horizontally) as aero bars when riding into a headwind.

(thumbnails link to larger originals)
Old 02-07-19, 10:58 PM
Force 

Wow - what great feedback! Thanks to everyone who responded. I think i will give them a try, but will be sure to take advantage of the tips offered. We will see how it plays out. Thanks again!
Old 02-08-19, 11:41 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1907 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 338 Posts
They vary a lot. Different widths, different curves, different amounts of drop.

Many years ago I trash picked a bike frame that was too small for me. I took it because it was clearly a really nice frame -- Columbus tubing, chromed lugs; made in Argentina. I built it up for my father. He didn't want a drop bar; so he picked up a Philippe brand mustache bar. Dunno where he got it, I'd never seen one before, and I've never seen another one. It was perfectly flat-- if you put it on a table, it touched the table at all points except the clamp area. Weinmann brake levers, the ones made for drop bars, out front; I think I put a stem shifter on the bike. Anyway, I used to borrow that bike now and then, raise the seat an inch or two, and... it was great. The combination of the mustache bar and the slightly too small frame made for a magical fit. It was a really zippy little bike, and I always wanted to set up another bike the same way.

Maybe ten years ago I got another mustache bar, but I was never able to get the setup where I wanted it. Probably didn't try it on the right bike.

Anyway, my takeaway is that it can be great... or not.
Old 02-08-19, 12:08 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
Yup. I have a Nashbar mustache bar, and it didn't work for me at all. The Nitto one does. They look similar but the difference is in the subtle details.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-08-19, 01:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Bridge stones Lesser Models had a different 'mustache' bar .. for 22.2 levers MTB bits, ,

As opposed to the Nitto 23.8 bar for road components , brakes and bar end shifters
Old 02-08-19, 02:13 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
I have tried them but I find they eliminate the positions I actually use (hoods, ramps, tops, in that order), and I also find them too wide generally. I feel like my arms are way splayed out. They didn't work for me.
Old 02-12-19, 08:14 PM
Force 

[QUOTE=lasauge;20784524]I tried mustache bars a couple of times on different bikes and could never get comfortable with them as they were too wide for my shoulders, and led to hand and wrist pain when used offroad. Unlike Tom @noglider, I did find the 'over the ends of the brake levers' comfortable as I stretched out in a position sort of like aerobars, just wider, but I couldn't spend time enough there to justify putting up with the other drawbacks. Note that I think the secret to making such a position tenable is that you have the have the levers point straight ahead so that there's enough area available to grip... lever shape matters too.

Do you mind explaining how brake lever shape matters in your experience? I'm in the process of buying some levers to go with the mustache bars and would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.