Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New MUP Trail Stuff

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New MUP Trail Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-19, 03:11 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
Or a proper tire pressure thread?
Old 09-23-19, 03:39 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Or we could argue at length whether it's a "seat" or a "saddle."
Old 09-23-19, 04:16 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Saddles are mounted to seatposts.
Likes For restlessswind:
Old 09-23-19, 04:18 PM
restlessswind

...or how much length of excess cable should extrude from each derailleur or caliper?
4.23cm to be exact!
Old 09-23-19, 04:57 PM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by restlessswind
...or how much length of excess cable should extrude from each derailleur or caliper?
4.23cm to be exact!
That’s way to much 1 43/64 inches is the proper amount.
Old 09-23-19, 05:14 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
4.23cm to be exact!
9 inches of brake cables extruding from my calipers taped to my fork in the front and rear seat stay so it doesn't move all over the place and get tangled. Is that too much ??
Old 09-23-19, 05:28 PM
m3tal070

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Sticking with OPs intention of interesting things seen on MUP, instead of yet another complaining thread, I saw something neat a few weeks ago:

Small salamanders scurring across the trail, tails wiggling like they were swimming. I stopped cuz it was so cool to watch and i didnt want to squish any of the little dudes.

Today i saw two brilliant red cardinals and a groundhog. Probably comisserating about rude noisy people on their MUP. With the fall colors coming in, was really a neat sight.

Sorta off topic from OP, but riding in town i rode past a dirty diaper and also someones wig.
Old 09-23-19, 05:38 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Saddles are mounted to seatposts.
And you take a seat on a saddle. Even equestrians talk about having a good seat when riding a horse with a saddle on it. LOL

Cheers
Old 09-23-19, 05:45 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
One of the paths I bike regularly has people fishing on it. Most of the time they sit on or near the bank to do this. Sometimes they park their camping chairs all across the path with the fishing lines stretching completely across the width of the path. Sometimes you can ride around. Sometimes you're forced to say excuse me and walk your bike thru.
I've been tempted at times to rig up a very sharp vertical upside down 'Y' bar to the front of my bicycle with two legs at the bottom of the upside down 'Y' bent towards the bike and the legs attached to the front fork but with the lowest part of the upside down 'Y' only a few inches from the ground and the middle of the upside down 'Y' fastened to the brake mounting hole on the front fork. That way when I come across one of those ultra-thin dog leashes stretched across the trail it'd just cut it rather than causing a spill. The device would do the same job as those posts on motorcycles and jeeps that cut wires strung across roads during WW2.

Cheers
Old 09-23-19, 07:04 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I wouldn't ride on anything with a limit of 8 mph either. My cruising speed is a bit higher than yours, however, and there are several rail trails in my area where I can ride uninterrupted at speed for several miles.

I find that it's hit or miss whether an urban street will be more or less clogged than an urban MUP, and it's a lot less pleasant to get stuck behind and between Amazon vans, postal jeeps, city buses and people who like to double park.

There's really no MUP with a higher speed limit where you are? That's effectively a "no bike commuting" rule. Defeats one of the major purposes.
I'm in the outer Cleveland suburbs/metro area, actually in the next county. It is Cleveland's Metroparks system that has/had the 8mph speed limit. When the Metroparks 'bike trails' were first introduced 40+ years ago, they were just that. Bike trails, built to keep bicycles off the roadway. There are also separate (unpaved) equestrian trails. Over the intervening years, both trail systems have become clogged with pedestrians, and sadly off-road cyclists have taken to riding the bridle trails -- the latter is against park regulations. Now the roadways are festooned with 'Share the Road' signage, since cyclists such as myself are loath to ride the slow now-termed 'MUP'.

My 12+-mile cycling commute is on rural county/city roads, and I must admit that I do ride for almost a mile on a posted 'pedestrians and bicycles prohibited' 50mph roadway. It has a 10-foot wide shoulder that I do utilize, and the approved 'bicycle route' alternative has no shoulder at all! I'd also have to cross that said 'highway' twice, cross a four-track railroad crossing instead of an overpass, and other intersections/traffic lights that my 'bypass' eliminates... Which is safer? I'll take the 10' shoulder any time!!!
Old 09-23-19, 08:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
I'm in the outer Cleveland suburbs/metro area, actually in the next county. It is Cleveland's Metroparks system that has/had the 8mph speed limit. When the Metroparks 'bike trails' were first introduced 40+ years ago, they were just that. Bike trails, built to keep bicycles off the roadway. There are also separate (unpaved) equestrian trails. Over the intervening years, both trail systems have become clogged with pedestrians, and sadly off-road cyclists have taken to riding the bridle trails -- the latter is against park regulations. Now the roadways are festooned with 'Share the Road' signage, since cyclists such as myself are loath to ride the slow now-termed 'MUP'.

My 12+-mile cycling commute is on rural county/city roads, and I must admit that I do ride for almost a mile on a posted 'pedestrians and bicycles prohibited' 50mph roadway. It has a 10-foot wide shoulder that I do utilize, and the approved 'bicycle route' alternative has no shoulder at all! I'd also have to cross that said 'highway' twice, cross a four-track railroad crossing instead of an overpass, and other intersections/traffic lights that my 'bypass' eliminates... Which is safer? I'll take the 10' shoulder any time!!!
As somebody said above, not all MUPs are created equal. There's definitely some greenways I avoid because it's like riding on a slow sidewalk.

One of my favorite rides involves about 35 miles in the 10 foot shoulder of a 55 mph road.
Old 09-23-19, 08:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
It's a seattle.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-26-19, 01:29 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
MUP trail is redundant. MUP=Multiple use path.
Thanks
Old 09-26-19, 01:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
I'd rather ride on some Interstate Highways than on some MUPs.
Old 09-26-19, 01:57 PM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Less whining cyclists.
Old 09-26-19, 02:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Yeah, it really depends on the specifics. I just can't generalize which type of road or path is better. Sometimes, I'll map myself on what looks like it's going to be a nice country lane, and then find out by riding it that it looks and feels like someone has been using it for small artillery practice.
Old 09-26-19, 02:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by sumgy
Less whining cyclists.
And no electric scooters.

I actually just remembered that during my June tour I rode a new MUP for maybe 13 or so miles. Was totally empty on a Sunday morning. When it ended, I had to get on I-90 for 3 miles.
Old 09-26-19, 02:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

And no electric scooters.

I actually just remembered that during my June tour I rode a new MUP for maybe 13 or so miles. Was totally empty on a Sunday morning. When it ended, I had to get on I-90 for 3 miles.
Early morning MUPs in the summer are generally great. Basically, it's your own private track.
Old 09-26-19, 04:33 PM
Witterings

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I was out on an MUP last weekend as a dog walker who's also a cyclist ... what I couldn't believe was the cyclists!!!!!

I'm constantly aware of what's around me when walking the dog because I ride as well and go overboard in terms of making sure I'm on the correct side of the path and she's out of the way of any oncoming bikes .. either approaching from up front or the rear.
We had at least 50 and probably more like 100+ cyclist go past us in that walk and only one rang a bell to warn us of their approach and only 2 bothered to say thank you when it's blatantly obvious with every one of them you're going out of your way to keep the dog out of their path ... just makes you just think I won't bother next time.

One of them ... where I had the dog and was on the inside ... brushed right up past my wife who was on the outside at speed so she jumped when the whole of the other side of the path was vacant and they could have given her plenty of space.

I'd say overall their behaviour was absolutely appalling to the extent it would make you embarrassed to admit you were a cyclist as well and this type of behaviour isn't confined just to the MUP's ... many cyclists seem to emulate the same on the roads giving the impression they own them ... my son put a dash cam on his last b'day list and when I asked why he said because of the number of A...hole cyclists around and he doesn't want to be blamed for the accident when it's blatantly not his fault.

If I'm riding an MUP I'm constantly aware of what's up ahead and sound a bell way off before I get to anyone, everyone I go past who's even acknowledged I'm there I say a big thank you to (and yes some of the oblivious walkers, wearing buds with 8 kids on scooters, a mobile phone and a dog that they make no attempt to rein in do drive you nuts ... but if you can't accept you'll come across this don't cycle on MUP's), and if I'm cycling down the road and a car has to slow / follow me till I turn .... I always stick a hand up in the air to say thank you ... most don't bother though.

It doesn't take a lot to be courteous and considerate of other road or MUP users around you ... irrespective of whether you're a cyclist, walker, dog walker or driving a car.

In answer to the OP's question about New MUP Trail Stuff ... I've noticed a complete lack of consideration and manners from an incredibly high percentage of cyclists ... ohhh combined with a teenage girl walking with a large dragon reptile on her shoulder ... bizarre ... but maybe more in line with what the OP was hoping the answers would be.

I feel a bit like I've opened the door and chucked in a grenade as I'm sure in a cycling forum my observations may go down like a lead brick but before I'm chastised I'm writing 1st and foremost as a cyclist who's simply embarrassed by the complete lack of consideration displayed by a very high percentage of other riders ... which in turn is detrimental to our sport / hobby.
Likes For Witterings:
Old 09-26-19, 04:36 PM
sumgy

Originally Posted by Witterings
I was out on an MUP last weekend as a dog walker who's also a cyclist ... what I couldn't believe was the cyclists!!!!!

I'm constantly aware of what's around me when walking the dog because I ride as well and go overboard in terms of making sure I'm on the correct side of the path and she's out of the way of any oncoming bikes .. either approaching from up front or the rear.
We had at least 50 and probably more like 100+ cyclist go past us in that walk and only one rang a bell to warn us of their approach and only 2 bothered to say thank you when it's blatantly obvious with every one of them you're going out of your way to keep the dog out of their path ... just makes you just think I won't bother next time.

One of them ... where I had the dog and was on the inside ... brushed right up past my wife who was on the outside at speed so she jumped when the whole of the other side of the path was vacant and they could have given her plenty of space.

I'd say overall their behaviour was absolutely appalling to the extent it would make you embarrassed to admit you were a cyclist as well and this type of behaviour isn't confined just to the MUP's ... many cyclists seem to emulate the same on the roads giving the impression they own them ... my son put a dash cam on his last b'day list and when I asked why he said because of the number of A...hole cyclists around and he doesn't want to be blamed for the accident when it's blatantly not his fault.

If I'm riding an MUP I'm constantly aware of what's up ahead and sound a bell way off before I get to anyone, everyone I go past who's even acknowledged I'm there I say a big thank you to (and yes some of the oblivious walkers, wearing buds with 8 kids on scooters, a mobile phone and a dog that they make no attempt to rein in do drive you nuts ... but if you can't accept you'll come across this don't cycle on MUP's), and if I'm cycling down the road and a car has to slow / follow me till I turn .... I always stick a hand up in the air to say thank you ... most don't bother though.

It doesn't take a lot to be courteous and considerate of other road or MUP users around you ... irrespective of whether you're a cyclist, walker, dog walker or driving a car.

In answer to the OP's question about New MUP Trail Stuff ... I've noticed a complete lack of consideration and manners from an incredibly high percentage of cyclists ... ohhh combined with a teenage girl walking with a large dragon reptile on her shoulder ... bizarre ... but maybe more in line with what the OP was hoping the answers would be.

I feel a bit like I've opened the door and chucked in a grenade as I'm sure in a cycling forum my observations may go down like a lead brick but before I'm chastised I'm writing 1st and foremost as a cyclist who's simply embarrassed by the complete lack of consideration displayed by a very high percentage of other riders ... which in turn is detrimental to our sport / hobby.
Tell us more about how you hate people.
Old 09-26-19, 04:57 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I see some guys playing cricket occasionally on the MUP. Not by it, on it. They got markings painted on the path for their game, have uniforms and will occasionally play other teams in uniforms too in addition to standing around and arguing intently about something. They're a nice group of guys, and it looks like I'm the only one who has seen this.
Old 09-26-19, 05:28 PM
Witterings

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Tell us more about how you hate people.
That's the whole point ... I don't or I'd be one of the rude ones with no manners or civility who didn't give a damn about showing anybody else a very basic level of common courtesy.

I was also going to add the only people that would likely take objection to what I wrote .... would probably fall into the category I've described???

Last edited by Witterings; 09-26-19 at 05:39 PM.
Likes For Witterings:
Old 09-26-19, 05:36 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
That's the whole point ... I don't or I'd be one of the rude ones with no basic level of manners or civility.

I was also going to add the only people that would likely take objection to what I wrote .... would probably fall into the category I've described???
On this -- and your previous post that is at issue -- agree.

Completely.
Old 09-26-19, 05:37 PM
sumgy

That's the whole point ... I don't or I'd be one of the rude ones with no basic level of manners or civility.

I was also going to add the only people that could take objection to what I wrote would probably fall into the category I've described???
Yawn
Do you expect motor vehicles to beep as they pass you while you are on the footpath too?
Maybe runners should call out as they jog past?
You aware that "almost ran into me" equates to "passed me without incident except in my own mind"
Sorry, these ongoing whinings from people about other people "endangering" them are just getting incredibly boring.

And I have a bell which I sound regularly only to find that a majority of people still don't hear it, or if they do, they still jump as if it is some sort of surprise that others would dare to be using the path. Often I just ride past when I know they have not heard my bell the first 3 times. Even when their dogs have stopped and turned to look at where the dinging noise is coming from, many path users remain completely oblivious.
Old 09-27-19, 04:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Yawn
Do you expect motor vehicles to beep as they pass you while you are on the footpath too?
Maybe runners should call out as they jog past?
You aware that "almost ran into me" equates to "passed me without incident except in my own mind"
Sorry, these ongoing whinings from people about other people "endangering" them are just getting incredibly boring.
Uh, who's the one who hates people? I'm a bicyclist who rarely gets passed on the MUP, and I've been appalled by some of the unannounced close passing I've witnessed. On a MUP, you're riding several times faster than a jogger can run and passing quite a bit closer than a car on the road, so those are both stupid false equivalents.

And no, almost ran into me is not just in the person's mind. I've seen a lot of near-misses caused by this behavior, none of it involving me, and it really terrorizes people, especially when it involves, as it often does, children.

You might want to learn how to use a bell properly or start announcing by voice. I might see one person a year jump like you describe when I pass, and they're almost always wearing headphones.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.