Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bicycle in a Honda CRV?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bicycle in a Honda CRV?

Old 05-18-20, 07:22 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts
Bicycle in a Honda CRV?

I have a used 2007 Honda CRV coming in a week and I wonder if a bicycle or 2 will fit in the back with
the back seats folded ? Will they fit standing up? Will I have to remove the front wheels?
Old 05-18-20, 07:27 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
You can keep the wheels on, under 56cm or so. Put a blanket over it and put another one in, over it, turned around.

I often put a 56cm in, whole, and put a 52cm in over it. No wheel removal.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 05-19-20, 06:37 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
You can keep the wheels on, under 56cm or so. Put a blanket over it and put another one in, over it, turned around.

I often put a 56cm in, whole, and put a 52cm in over it. No wheel removal.

Accurate info.

Same experience here.

We have used our CRV's like bike mules. I have a four place rack that goes on the back. It uses the hitch.

In fact, we also have a Thule for the roof as well.

Our record was carrying eight bikes.

Makes a great support vehicle among many other things.
Old 05-19-20, 06:48 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by gomango
Accurate info.
Makes a great support vehicle among many other things.
And we still used the folding table. !!
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 05-19-20, 12:19 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I can get two in my Honda Fit, with no wheel removal. Not upright though

Old 05-19-20, 02:48 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
Got three old road bikes in my wife's Honda Civic last summer and it is not a hatchback or anything special. Needless to say, the wheels had to come off and the back seat had to be covered with a thick blanket.
Old 05-19-20, 03:09 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
really, my bikes need at least front wheel off in my fit. Its a 2018. Plus my bike are 58cm with high bars.
Old 05-20-20, 03:58 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
They have amazing internal space for their external size. Like the space potato in that Greg Bear novel. OK, not infinity, but amazing.
Old 05-20-20, 08:57 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
They have amazing internal space for their external size. Like the space potato in that Greg Bear novel. OK, not infinity, but amazing.
I think northbend had 4 in his Honda Fit for last year's Cino and Coppi rides. Wheels off, blankets, no fenders. I was so impressed I talked my daughter into getting one for her first car.
Old 05-20-20, 09:15 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
I own a 2020 Honda CR-V. In the near future I was going to see if I can fit a couple bikes in the back. If I could get them in upright with the front wheels removed I was going to build something to hold the fork in place. I will find out shortly.
Old 05-20-20, 09:19 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 258 Posts
I have a 2008 Honda Fit base model 5 speed that I purchased new in Feb 2008..
I can get TWO bicycles that are Larger than '52 Telecaster's 58cm framed bike into the HONDA FIT without REMOVING ANY WHEELS OF EITHER BICYCLE!!

Here is how I do it:
REAR SEATS FOLDED FLAT

INSTALL THE 1st BICYCLE inside LAYING ON ITS SIDE with the Drive side up---the rear derailleur up and visible---REAR WHEEL nearest the tailgate.....
YOU TURN THE STEERING(handlebars) WHEN YOU'RE SETTING THE BIKE INSIDE---SUCH THAT THE FRONT WHEEL IS TURNED SO THAT THE ENTIRE BICYCLE FITS BETWEEN THE BACK OF THE FRONTSEAT BACKS AND THE REAR INTERIOR NEAR THE TAILGATE LATCH.

NOW TO INSTALL the 2nd BICYCLE YOU INSERT IT inside REAR WHEEL first........ LAYING ON ITS SIDE......*********The FRONT WHEEL is NOT REMOVED!!!
The STEERING(handlebars) IS TURNED SUCH THAT THE FRONT WHEEL OF THIS 2nd BIKE DOES FIT...........Easy to do because the front portion of this second bike is nearest the tailgate and the rear portion of this second bike may have the most extended portion of the outer rear tire near the headrest portion of the back of the front seats but You Will Find That Every ROADBIKE WITH 24" FRAME SIZE and 27" (32-630mm) Wheels will fit inside of the HONDA FIT!
You will have zero problems with any Roadbike that has drop bars in the 25" frame size or smaller. That is a heck of a lot larger than 58cm size (22.5 inches).
Now if you have two large bikes with extended center TRI bars that might be a problem, I have not yet loaded two of those at the same time, but I have loaded one bike with extended TRI bars, and another without them.
I routinely transport a large Collegiate or Suburban five speed which I ride that has 7881 tourist handlebars which are close to 23 inches wide, and have fenders. They are relatively long wheelbased and the Suburban must be close to 70 inches not in wheelbase but overall length from outer tire to outer tire.
The LARGEST bike always goes into the Honda Fit as the 1st Bicycle.........
We can install two bikes into the 2008 Honda Fit in less than 30 seconds total because we have done this hundreds of times.
It always amazes onlookers.
I have two 1.5 inch by five inch by eight inch heavy styrofoam remnants from the box packaging of a giant flat screen tv from a decade ago, which I use to pad and protect the rear portion of the front seats from the handlebars and wheels.
We have used the dog's favorite rug remnant, scrap cardboard from bicycle boxes that Outspokin gave us, Moving Blankets from Harbor Freight, and at times an old Sleeping Bag as padding........................the Sleeping Bag is the easiest as it provides the BEST PADDING for the Honda Fit's bumper when I am loading the bicycles by myself..........and the sleeping bag will roll up into a neat bundle when not transporting bikes.................cardboard box material gets often called into service for household painting projects and other dirty projects........................The inexpensive Moving Blankets from Harbor Freight are good but they are big, even the smaller sized one....
The Harbor Freight moving blankets are good though for Covering/hiding items in the rear of the hatch of the Fit, but normally when nothing is being transported, you've got a giant blanket to fold and stuff beneath the seats.
Obviously, you don't want to have your FRONT SEATS fully extended for maximum front seat legroom...............so unless you're the size of Andre The Giant, or Shaquille O'neal, you should have zero problems transporting two physically fit adults in the driver and front passenger seat and two bicycles in the rear of the Honda Fit without removing any wheels of the bikes.
You will also have space enough to fit the Cooler, Two Helmets, and other things.
Heck, the space inside the Fit is extremely practical. Fifty years ago when I was touring the US playing gigs at Colleges and clubs with a '67 Ford Galaxie Wagon and an enclosed U-Haul trailer, getting the amps and speaker cabs inside was maybe more difficult than might have been with the Fit, though the old station wagon had tons of space and a great tailgate, and the U-haul had massive space.....
We often just leave the old FIT with the rear seat folded flat..........so it's a two seater with a cargo area. They are extremely well built and a bargain at under $20,000 NEW........................Yes, as I told my brother, who said why the he11 didn't you just by a new MiniCooper instead of a new Fit,.......the Fit can do a lot more and Honda engineering is massively better for long term reliabilty and expected servicing................yeah you couldn't get Leather interior, two tone paint or a sunroof but you could get a fun 5speed with 109hp that will really move the 2200 pound Fit...................it will cruise all day long at 90 to 95mph if you wanna drive that fast on the Interstate.............I recommend that you keep it between 75 and 80mph because any 15mph+ sidewinds might make you nervous. The other thing that you cannot do with a HONDA FIT is ride with the windows down at speeds above about 55 because you cannot lower the rear tailgate window (it is fixed)...............what happens if you do ride with the rear side windows down, the air turbulence hits the inside of the tailgate, and you get a severe rumbling-vibration once you get progressively farther past 60mph with the rear side windows down......................
They are great little cars which do not have a timing belt but have a timing chain which makes it that more economical from a maintenance perspective.
After more than twelve years of ownership, tires, wiper blades, cabin air filter, and oil & filter changes and brakes have been the only items requiring replacement. The factory CD player broke at the eleven year mark while playing Eric Clapton Crossroads 2 live in the seventies, DISC THREE while returning from the Hilton Head house.
The A/C system is still ice cold on the factory R134a charge, probably because the AirConditioning gets used on about 350 of 365 days of the year in this part of the country.
This 2008 Fit has had recalls for Takata Airbag Replacement and before that to replace a driver side p/w switch which Honda found could in extreme cases get wet from entering the car in the rain or with window lowered, and the water could short something---potentially causing an electrical fire, so they said, I think there was also another earlier recall by Honda to replace some part of either the turn signal or light switch.......can't remember specifically but again because of potential for some wire to short or heat up and potentially in the worst case cause an electrical fire... Great little car!
The factory seat upholstery never was the best looking, but it is durable, and comfortable, ---the upholstery does easily pick up lint from clothes and pet fur, and it stains rather easily from spilled take out food and beverages, but it is an inexpensive economy car that is a far better car than it's competitors, even if some of those competitors do have better and nicer looking seat upholstery material. I have always thought that at least since the turn of the century that Honda traditionally has rock hard seats on brand new cars which generally might take three to four months of use to become more comfortable. Maybe Honda was trailblazing with the hardest seats in the industry so that they better withstand the modern-SuperfatObeseAmerican but physically fit, healthy people generally find that Honda seats are too hard for maybe the first six months-nine months after buying the new Honda. Honda does do most things right. Very few vehicles have the practical space that the tiny Honda Fit has. Even fewer vehicles are as mechanically well engineered and economical from a total cost of ownership standpoint.
Old 05-20-20, 11:41 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
If I can get two bikes plus 2 spare wheels plus camping gear into my MGBGT, you should be able to fit ten bikes into a CRV.
Old 05-21-20, 06:56 AM
brandon98

Bikes: Schwinns: Paramount (Waterford), Peloton (1986 and 1999), 1987 Super Sport. Offbrand bikes: Bianchi Intenso, Diamondback Interval TG (Ironman), Peugeot Triathlon, Masi CX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Before I traded off the 2003 CRV for four sides of beef (win win with a local rancher), I could fit two 61cm frames in the back with the seats folded. I made a couple fork mounts with a 2 foot chunk of 2x4 and cheapo fork mounts. Pull the front wheel, clamp the fork in the block and slide it in, fore or aft. Repeat with second bike.Since I run 46cm handlebars, it gets a bit tight if I have them both facing the same direction. Loose front wheels went in some old wheel bags to prevent scratching. The 2x4 pieces with fork mounts are loose and can be taken out at any time.
Old 05-21-20, 08:35 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
really, my bikes need at least front wheel off in my fit. Its a 2018. Plus my bike are 58cm with high bars.
60 cm bikes(with low bars and seatpost), in a 2017 with the seats folded down. They(the first one anyway) slide in like buttah.

Old 05-21-20, 03:14 PM
tourneur

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Sierra, 1984 Centurion Elite RS, 1989 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first and possibly last post after years of lurking, due to the fact that I finally can share a bit of specifically obscure knowledge:

By folding the back seats in a 2008 Acura TSX (the European Accord), a 1984 50cm Centurion Elite RS can be Inserted into the trunk and slightly beyond requiring nothing more than seatpost removal.

You’re welcome.
Old 05-21-20, 03:33 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3861 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...nside-crv.html