Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Cycling in Stone Mountain Park..

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-20, 11:04 AM
Badbird2000

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

We are going to be camping at Stone Mountain Campground, just outside Atlanta, in October. Are there many good roads to ride in the park that are safe? We camped there a year ago, but I wasn't riding at that time, and didn't pay that much attention. I have a road bike, if that makes a difference.
Thanks
Old 07-29-20, 11:43 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Stone Mtn is a great place to ride a bike. I would suggest taking a quick drive around the main loop, in that there is one HELL of a hill at one part. I have had to walk it. You may well be stronger than me and find no issue.

Hope y'all have a great time.
Old 07-29-20, 03:12 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Take a look at google maps, the west side is one way lanes (cars in one direction/lane, bikes beside an in the opposite direction; walkers may not always be on the sidewalk); the north to northeast is multiple lanes near the car entrance, but traffic is usually light and mostly cooperative. You can opt for the more inner loop, or outer loop. The east to south parts are single lane with low traffic iirc.
Overall, a good ride and a workout!
Old 07-30-20, 10:34 AM
Badbird2000

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Great info! Thanks! Looking forward to the 8% grade!
Old 07-31-20, 07:25 AM
SilverRubicon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
You can also take the PATH trail from Stone Mountain towards Atlanta, https://maps.pathfoundation.org/trails/stone-mountain/

When riding around the park itself, be careful around parking lots with cars entering and exiting. Drivers are reading signs and not really paying attention.
Old 07-31-20, 08:47 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverRubicon
You can also take the PATH trail from Stone Mountain towards Atlanta, https://maps.pathfoundation.org/trails/stone-mountain/
Be on your toes if you do! Cagers are a mixed lot, but the abusers are especially relentless.... My BF blog chronicles the problems.... Depending on how far west you start, you will have roads to traverse in Decatur, Clarkston, and Stone Mountain Village. My recommendation, upon entering the village, is to go left at the intersection then right on 2nd street all the way to the trail that goes into the park on the West side. Also, at the end of 2nd Street, is the back side of Aztec Cycles (in case you need help). They also have a mobile repair van on call....
Old 08-05-20, 03:28 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Be on your toes if you do! Cagers are a mixed lot, but the abusers are especially relentless.... My BF blog chronicles the problems.... Depending on how far west you start, you will have roads to traverse in Decatur, Clarkston, and Stone Mountain Village. My recommendation, upon entering the village, is to go left at the intersection then right on 2nd street all the way to the trail that goes into the park on the West side. Also, at the end of 2nd Street, is the back side of Aztec Cycles (in case you need help). They also have a mobile repair van on call....
The section of that "path" around Fernbank is dangerous and untenable. There is a workable alternative if you don't mind surface streets and going out of your way.