Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Saddle good, cover bad

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Saddle good, cover bad

Old 02-21-21, 02:31 AM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Saddle good, cover bad

I used to cover my saddle with a bike gel seat cover. With the idea of sitting more comfortably while cycling; it would help absorb the shocks. Not always a good idea ...

I experienced saddle pain and tried to address it in different ways.
But I did not occur to me that it could have something to do with the cover on the saddle. Apparently my bones benefit more from a hard seat.
Old 02-21-21, 09:23 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I never liked those gel covers. They always manage to squish their way to parts of your legs and butt that wouldn't normally have pressure on them during a ride on a hard saddle.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 02-22-21, 09:03 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Most people who ride often seem to do better with hard seats, but I am not one of them. I used to do okay, but in my mid 40s I found I needed a little padding, just as I began needing some padding on the handle bars.

The big issue with padding seems to be chafing, but that has not been an issue for me.

With a gel cover I am good for about 5 hours of saddle time at which point my sit bones start to ache.
Old 02-22-21, 09:16 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 407 Posts
You walk into a good bike store and there are like 20 saddles on the wall. 19 of them look like what we're used to, one is wider with a soft cover. This, again, is natural selection showing its effects. All these other seats look alike for a reason.
Old 02-23-21, 10:28 AM
cabledawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I had to go to some sort of padded seat years ago. I never liked the slip covers as they never stayed in place no matter what I tried and went through several brands and styles of padded seat before I found one I liked. I do still have a racing style seat on my mountain bike, but I don't spend much time on the saddle for it to make a difference. FYI, Cloud9 makes some very good padded seats with a variety of shapes and a few with spring suspension.
Old 02-27-21, 08:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Yup, in general, the more you ride, the more you'll want a harder saddle. I went to the doctor complaining of achy balls. He suggested a saddle with a cutout, but I decided to try a different saddle. I had been using a saddle with too much padding. I went back to a hard saddle. Problem solved. The weird thing is that I didn't associate the pain with the soft saddle, because the pain came a day later.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-01-21, 07:49 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Flat, firm, narrow - those qualities describe the right saddle for me. Whether it's slung leather, or of modern design, it must be flat (in the sit area), firm (so, even if lightly padded), and narrow to suit my build.

In my experience with family and friends, those gel pad covers never work out for long.
Old 03-06-21, 10:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
The great Sheldon Brown (RIP) likened the padded saddles to sitting on a coffee table with a pillow betwixt your cheeks, the padding will create pressure points and those pressure points create pain. My cheeks happen to really love the Brooks Cambium C17 Carved. It is hammock-ish for comfort but without being so soft it doesn't support. It is nice as there is no padding so no extra pressure points and the newer versions are all weather. I have tried a multitude of other saddles and this one seems to be just right though a touch heavier than some might want the comfort is more than worth it.

For more info:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html