Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic Brake Replacement

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 04-11-21, 08:51 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts

My daughter's TREK bike came with hydraulic disk brakes. They suck so much we want a replacement set of brakes or a new bike(!).

The problem is they keep binding. It's not seizing, just the pads rub the rotor and locomotion is VERY difficult. The pads have been sanded and adjusted and... Some short time later, the brakes are rubbing again and later still the bike is almost un-rideable.

Can you guys offer any advice about what to buy as replacements? I believe we will need calipers, levers and cables.

Are the mounting interfaces and disk locations standardized or are we venturing into customization?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 04-12-21 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-12-21, 12:43 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Can you explain how the disc brake pads are rubbing the wheel?
Likes For prj71:
Old 04-12-21, 02:24 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Did you buy the bike at a proper bike shop?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-12-21, 04:52 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
Are you sure they're hydraulic DISC BRAKES?
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 04-12-21, 08:50 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Sounds like the pads aren't running parallel to the rotors if you're having trouble with rubbing and lousy stopping if they're hydraulic. Brakes not aligned would mean constant rubbing and lousy stopping since the pads are also trying to bend the rotor as you stop. This is also a constant issue with lousy cable brakes since one side usually doesn't move while the other side is pushing the rotor over to squeeze it between the two pads. When I wanted to upgrade the kids' cannondales from cable I went to randombikeparts and picked up two sets for 40 each, alivio level which works well for 60lb children.
Old 04-12-21, 09:06 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Can you explain how the disc brake pads are rubbing the wheel?
Some people,... Well, I guess it takes all kinds.
Old 04-13-21, 07:10 AM
prj71

YouTube is great for almost everything "how to"

Old 04-13-21, 08:24 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
The Park Tool ref is an excellent one. But if you aren't a DIY'er, I'd check out another shop, with a good mechanic. Yes, some brakes are better than others, but most are not so bad that a good mechanic can't fix them. There are different mounts, so you have to buy brakes with the correct mount for the bike. If you decide to replace the brakes, even the less expensive Shimano brakes have a good reputation.

Last edited by freeranger; 04-13-21 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-13-21, 02:12 PM
DETarch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
As opposed to what, hydraulic rim brakes???

Anyway...if you're able to get the brakes adjusted, then they eventually go back out of adjustment, there might be an issue with pistons sticking. Depending on your mechanical aptitude, you could try cycling the pistons a few time without the pads in and cleaning, then re-lubing the pistons with brake fluid. Find a decent instructional video for this though, as it could result in pistons extending too far.

If you're already considering buying new brakes, I'd look at Shimano's lower tier 2-piston hydraulic brakes as already mentioned here. The Acera (MT200) brake would be a good option. For around $40-50 per brake, they'll include lever, caliper and hose.
Old 04-13-21, 02:33 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
Originally Posted by DETarch
As opposed to what, hydraulic rim brakes???

Anyway...if you're able to get the brakes adjusted, then they eventually go back out of adjustment, there might be an issue with pistons sticking. Depending on your mechanical aptitude, you could try cycling the pistons a few time without the pads in and cleaning, then re-lubing the pistons with brake fluid. Find a decent instructional video for this though, as it could result in pistons extending too far.

If you're already considering buying new brakes, I'd look at Shimano's lower tier 2-piston hydraulic brakes as already mentioned here. The Acera (MT200) brake would be a good option. For around $40-50 per brake, they'll include lever, caliper and hose.
Yeah have you heard of Maguras? You're probably too young.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 04-13-21, 04:18 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by DETarch
As opposed to what, hydraulic rim brakes
I am curious as well because the op says they need new cables. Could be mechanical, not hydraulic, brakes.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 04-13-21, 07:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Some people,... Well, I guess it takes all kinds.
So I guess your answer is no you cannot explain what is going on? . He asked a valid question. Is it a tick tick tick or is it a constant rubbing or something different? It could be a bunch of different factors and you just being a jerk about it doesn't help.

We are trying to help you but not really giving much info and us not being sure if you have hydraulic or mechanical disc brakes because you do mention cables. If you want help we are happy to help but if you don't want to help us help you and determine what is going on and what we can do to potentially solve the issues then we can't.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-22-21, 06:29 AM
Ryno317
Member in Training

Bikes: '21 GT Aggressor Pro, '16 Norco 7.1 Storm << son's bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Yeah have you heard of Maguras? You're probably too young.
My son just put a set of Maguras hydraulic rim brakes on his big wheel BMX bike.
Old 04-22-21, 07:18 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by veganbikes
So I guess your answer is no you cannot explain what is going on? . He asked a valid question. Is it a tick tick tick or is it a constant rubbing or something different? It could be a bunch of different factors and you just being a jerk about it doesn't help.

We are trying to help you but not really giving much info and us not being sure if you have hydraulic or mechanical disc brakes because you do mention cables. If you want help we are happy to help but if you don't want to help us help you and determine what is going on and what we can do to potentially solve the issues then we can't.
Well...he edited his post. Initially he stated his disc brakes were rubbing the wheel. Was trying to figure out if he meant rim brakes or disc brakes at that point.
Likes For prj71: