Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Tennessee - Roll Call!

Old 07-02-08, 08:37 PM
Gavush
(this space for rent)

Bikes: 2018 Synapse Dura-Ace, 1995 Specialized M2-pro, 1995 Gary Fisher Montare

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome aboard C.I.

On a side note, I just registered for the MS ride Jack and Back - anyone else ?
Old 07-06-08, 08:28 PM
hermanbloom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've been a casual rider for a couple years and started riding more this spring. i'm originally from columbia but i live in bartlett now about a mile from stanky creek. i started working on a trainer this february with spinervals dvds on a mtb before upgrading my trainer bike to an old, well-preserved 96 trek 2300 cx. i ride a motobecane fantom 29 and a 2002 kona cinder cone on the trails now and the trek on the trainer and road every now and then. the white trail at stanky is my favorite stretch to ride although recently i love the wolf river trails over at shelby farms too.

i haven't ever been part of a group ride but i'm looking forward to getting in on that pretty soon. if ya'll see a fat guy fallen over or otherwise bleeding (and prolly going backwards) on a trail in the shelby county region, it may be me so my apologies in advance.
Old 07-09-08, 06:55 PM
pedalpushr

Bikes: KHS Urban X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey y'all from Knoxvegas! Glad to see Velo Vol, Knoxroadie, and Sluggo are representin'. I just got a KHS Urban X for greenways, the VA Creeper, and around town stuff. Would like to commute, but 19 miles one way is a lot. I live in Fountain City and teach at Pellissippi. Does anybody ride on Middlebrook? I'm an old street rider, but I'd like to live to ride a few more miles ;-) I got lights and I'm going in for one of those bright orange vests. Of course on game day I'll blend right in...
Old 07-10-08, 11:18 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28576 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by pedalpushr
Does anybody ride on Middlebrook?
I do, when I am living dangerously. Most of the time I just do a 1/2 mile stretch.
Old 07-15-08, 03:16 PM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
Hey y'all from Knoxvegas! Glad to see Velo Vol, Knoxroadie, and Sluggo are representin'. I just got a KHS Urban X for greenways, the VA Creeper, and around town stuff. Would like to commute, but 19 miles one way is a lot. I live in Fountain City and teach at Pellissippi. Does anybody ride on Middlebrook? I'm an old street rider, but I'd like to live to ride a few more miles ;-) I got lights and I'm going in for one of those bright orange vests. Of course on game day I'll blend right in...
A regular commute of 19 miles each way would be heroic. A co-worker of mine rides down town from Fountain City, and that is heroic enough. I have an easy 3 mile commute from south of downtown.

I wish I could help with routes, but I am not very familiar with riding those parts of town. It does seem like Oak Ridge Hwy might be more promising than Middlebrook.
Old 07-16-08, 10:39 PM
pedalpushr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Call me heroic

I pedaled the 20+ miles from Ftn City to Pellissippi today. The problem besides exhaustion is time--it takes me a couple of hours. I did ride on Oak Ridge Highway part of the way. But now I'm looking at a bike/bus/bike option. Not sure it will shave that much time, but it will give me a rest while KAT does the driving. And yes, part of it will be on Middlebrook. About 5 miles maybe.

Here's my all-bike route.

Here's my Bike/Bus/Bike route
Old 07-25-08, 01:15 PM
makeitwork

Bikes: 1979 Rampar R-1 (SS Conversion), 1991 Jamis Exile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Madison, just outside of Nashville. Starting to bike again after several years. Just about finished with converting my old road bike to a single speed, which should get me around town and the greenways.
Old 07-25-08, 05:01 PM
Gavush
(this space for rent)

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
welcome aboard makeitwork
Old 07-25-08, 09:44 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28576 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
I pedaled the 20+ miles from Ftn City to Pellissippi today.
That's a long commute.
Old 07-28-08, 10:22 AM
TrekMama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone! I just found this forum, and you seemed like a such a nice bunch that I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm Christie, 28 year old mama to 3 kiddos. My husband Eddie is the major cyclist between the two of us, but I jump in as often as I can (anyone up for some babysitting? lol). We live in Lewisburg, south of Nashville. We do road rides and mountain biking. So far we've just done Chikasaw Trace, which we love. When we get the chance, we're going to head to Hamilton Creek, and there are supposed to be some beautiful trails in Sewanee we'd like to ride. I have a Trek 4500 wsd that I'm totally in love with. Her name is Crash...don't ask! Hubby rides some sort fancy-schmancy Gary Fisher, not sure which model exactly. I'll stick to my Trek bikes, thank you

JohnKScott- I've heard about some new trails in the Thompson's Station area, you know anything about that?

Disc Golfer- I saw you've done Chikasaw. You wouldn't happen to be a member of the Columbia Cycling Club, would you? Just curious...we are thinking about joining so we could go on some group rides.

Nice to meet you all!
Old 07-28-08, 06:03 PM
Gavush
(this space for rent)

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
welcome aboard trekmama.
Old 07-28-08, 07:42 PM
rkimble

Bikes: None....Looking to buy!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice to meet ya TREKMAMA I'm from Ashland City the other side of Nashville
Old 07-29-08, 08:41 AM
JohnKScott

Bikes: It has two wheels

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekMama
Hi everyone! I just found this forum, and you seemed like a such a nice bunch that I thought I'd introduce myself.

JohnKScott- I've heard about some new trails in the Thompson's Station area, you know anything about that?

Nice to meet you all!

Hi Christie. Nice to meet you too.

No I don't know anything about those trails. Do tell..

I stick mostly to the road but do take the family for rides on paved or hard crushed gravel trails.
Old 07-31-08, 02:27 PM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi folks - one more for Knoxville here! Native born & been riding bikes, taking them apart, putting them together, & all that since before I can really remember. I'm just now getting back into riding more and brining my wife & kids along (literally) for the ride. Having been off road bikes since I had built a beater commuter out of a 1960s Schwinn Suburban (which, was really an upright bike I lightened up & fit with drop bars/brakes) since the mid '80s, I just got back into road bikes. What a blast to get back on a road bike after 20 years of using my trusty old GT Karakoram (steel, solid, but unbreakable) as a woods/trail bike, commuter bike, urban explorer & transportation when I've been out of town camping at car races. I think I've got the whole family equipped with at least one bike each, so we're all ready to hit the road/trails/greenways & maybe do some group events!

Unfortunately, I live in a neighborhood where I'm unlikely to be able to do a full work commute due to the nature of the roads (and their drivers) closest to home. It's great to see more and more bikes around town, people dusting off their old bikes & some REAL consideration in metro planning for bikes as something more than kids' toys!
Old 07-31-08, 05:17 PM
LAWMAN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Ya'll,

another 1 checking in from Collierville. I live on the far side of C'ville & work downtown (how dumb is that?); I admire anybody who does that commute both ways on a bicycle, b/c I'm not going to try it.

I was into bikes real big in the late 80s--late 90s; I did group rides, mostly w/ the Hightailers, some road races in the citizens' class & some tris, but then lost interest & went back to racing dirt bikes (the kind w/motors).

I am back riding bicycles a little bit now. I have an old Clark Kent road bike (bet no one's ever heard of that), an old AMP Research full-suspension MTB, & a rigid Giant MTB that I use for a beater/loaner/city bike.

I ride at Shelby Forest & a little bit around C'ville, but it's gotten so busy out there that it's pretty scary. I did the Mighty Mite tri a couple of weeks ago & probably will do another tri or 2, & probably will ride the MTB some this winter.

John
Old 08-09-08, 09:14 PM
nubcake

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for somereason never checked into the regional boards till today and its cool to see a few people from knox representing.
anyways, im chris and have lived in knox for around 2 years now and love it, came from IN and got sick of all the cornfields.

da bikes are
Giant trance, full of squishy goodness
Lightspeed classic, roadie/commuter
felt pyre (bmx), for when i feel like a trip to the hospital

I ride for a number of reasons, mostly for fun, partially cause driving 40 miles a day gets expensive and i dont want to let our gov. "win" and because life is just too damed crazy to not have an outlet for stress.

If anyone is ever up for a ride, im always down to pedal regardless the type of bike
Old 08-12-08, 07:32 AM
pedalpushr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nubcake: Where do you commute? I've been considering commuting from Ftn City to Pellissippi, but don't think I have the time in my day to bike the 2 hours each way. I'll try a bus/bike
combo. I'm impressed by a 40-mile commute!

fiataccompli: Rock on with the family biking! I've got 2 girls of 2 and 6, and they come along on the greenways. Glad to say my oldest got a bike before she got an electronic game thingy. Oh, if you're interested in commuting, you might try the bus/bike combo. Of course you'd have to get to a bus stop...
Old 08-17-08, 07:24 PM
lhester
I'm Actually a Runner

Bikes: 2005 Gunnar Roadie, Trek Navigator 200...Comfort Bike (Yawn...but I LOVE this bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey From Brentwood!

Hey From Brentwood!! I live about 10 mins from Nashville, and I ride a Gunnar Roadie for group rides and a Trek Navigator for getting around town and running errands. I just ordered the Free Radical Xtacycle to attach to it so be on the look-out. I also just ordered a Trikke.

My current issue: Is Franklin Road safe to ride on at night? I want to commute to Columbia State Community College (Franklin Campus) on Tue and Thurs nights this fall. I think Hillsboro Road is out of the question due to it being too "scary" for a lone female at night and the distance that route would tack on. From my house it will be 9 miles (18 round trip) if I take Franklin Road. Is this a suicide mission? (I will be on the Trek) I plan to put the "Down-Low-Glow" on it that comes with the Xtracycle.
Old 08-17-08, 07:45 PM
Gavush
(this space for rent)

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I work on franklin road over by wedgewood ave - personally, I probably wouldn't bike around there after dark.
Old 08-18-08, 12:43 PM
JohnKScott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lhester
Hey From Brentwood!! I live about 10 mins from Nashville, and I ride a Gunnar Roadie for group rides and a Trek Navigator for getting around town and running errands. I just ordered the Free Radical Xtacycle to attach to it so be on the look-out. I also just ordered a Trikke.

My current issue: Is Franklin Road safe to ride on at night? I want to commute to Columbia State Community College (Franklin Campus) on Tue and Thurs nights this fall. I think Hillsboro Road is out of the question due to it being too "scary" for a lone female at night and the distance that route would tack on. From my house it will be 9 miles (18 round trip) if I take Franklin Road. Is this a suicide mission? (I will be on the Trek) I plan to put the "Down-Low-Glow" on it that comes with the Xtracycle.
Franklin Road is pretty busy and the traffic moves fast. I am on there some Saturday mornings between Mack Hatcher and Lynwood way if I have that hill in my sites for the day. The stretch between Franklin & Brentwood would be pretty "safe" if you are talking about what kind of areas it runs through. All pretty middle class + areas. Plus a good amount of it is 4 lane with a pretty good shoulder so there SHOULD be enough room for you and the traffic as long as you are lit up well enough. I would just be EXTRA careful at some of the bigger intersections and make sure you enforce your lane positions so there is no confusion where you are going in those intersections. I could see some right hook potential on that route if you are not careful.

What time would you be riding? If you will be riding it significantly after rush hour the traffic volume would be much less.

Of course there are some other options. You could go up and down over the hills and not spend as much time on Franklin Road or Hillsboro road. Plus you'd get some hill climbing in
Old 08-18-08, 07:10 PM
lhester
I'm Actually a Runner

Bikes: 2005 Gunnar Roadie, Trek Navigator 200...Comfort Bike (Yawn...but I LOVE this bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't mind the hills. What other route is there? I am coming from the Fresh Market area and I have to be at school at 6 pm. I should probably just not attempt it, but it would be great for squeezing rides in plus 36 mile of gas saved if I do it twice a week. WHY OH WHY do we not have better bike lanes here?

Last edited by lhester; 08-18-08 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-18-08, 08:37 PM
JohnKScott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not the most direct, but a nice ride. Less traffic, but windy, hilly roads. Not sure if you want to tackle them in the dark or not...

Cue sheet generated using googlemap_cuesheet from route: https://snipurl.com/3hl3g (check out the map here)

Route: 235 Franklin Rd, Brentwood, TN 37027 to 104 Claude Yates Dr, Franklin, TN 37064
Distance: 13.17 miles

Total Distance Directions
----------------------------------------------------
0.00 0.00 Depart from: 235 Franklin Rd, Brentwood, TN 37027
0.12 0.12 Left: Maryland Way
1.79 1.66 Left: Granny White Pike
3.28 1.49 Right: Murray Ln
4.80 1.52 Left: Holly Tree Gap Rd
5.83 1.03 Right: N Berrys Chapel Rd
7.63 1.81 Turn left toward Lynnwood Way
7.74 0.11 Bear Right: Lynnwood Way
8.83 1.09 Left: S Berrys Chapel Rd
10.51 1.68 Right: Franklin Rd
11.19 0.68 Right: Mack Hatcher Memorial Pkwy
12.85 1.66 Left: Hillsboro Rd
13.13 0.28 Left: Claude Yates Dr
13.17 0.04 Arrive at: 104 Claude Yates Dr, Franklin, TN 37064

No doubt, since you are starting off by Fresh Market, Franklin Road is by far the most direct shot. It might be worth a try going right down Franklin Road. Especially if you are headed South. One of the major intersections (Concord Rd) is not a factor since it dead ends into Franklin Rd. Heck, I'd give it a shot. Just be well lit and aware of your surroundings. I see bikes on there that time of day sometimes.
Old 08-19-08, 04:43 AM
Richard1967

Bikes: Diamondback Outlook oversized frame, Xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to Nashville

I just transfered down with my company. I live just south of the airport and asa soon as my xtracycle get out of the shop i will start riding it to work. And will be cutting down on the driving. looking for anyone interested in getting together and riding. Looking for good places to ride. I have 2 bikes a diamondback outlook and an Xtracycle. The DB is for fun and the X is for comuting to work. If anyone has any sugestion drop me a line and lets ride. PS I might be a little rusty had to stop riding for a little bit and really want to getback into it.

Rick
Old 08-19-08, 06:38 AM
tommy gayle

Bikes: Nishiki Backroad;: fuji mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
new to this forum I live in hendersonville tn
name is tommy , I AM 60 and just started riding after 40 years for my health
I have a old Nishika backroads that I got and have reworked it and that has helped me get off the couch
and out in the yard doing something
I have 5 kids and 11 grand kids with the 12 on his was
My bike is as I said a nishiki with cycloid chaining and a 6 speed cassette
it is completely restored
I ride around my home but I plan to ride on some of the trails around here till I
get in better shape to ride some of the backroads
I am retired and have time to ride and travel my wife and I go to east tn
a lot and we love the mountains
she is not riding yet but I will get her out there as we enjoy our time together
I did not know of this thred but I will now look at it about everyday
best to all
tommy
Old 08-19-08, 09:20 AM
JohnKScott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Tommy & Rick!

Rick - Look into the greenway system for more leisurly rides. Plus there are some Mt. Bike trails (I think Shelbly Bottoms and some other places). Google Nashville Greenway and you should be able to find a bunch of info. I'm a roadie so I am not all that familiar with trails though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.