Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire Pressure calculator Comparison and Accuracy

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-24, 07:25 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts

I tried the Silca Tire Pressure Calculator then compared it to a couple of others. It gave me the lowest pressure compared to the others. Does any body have experience with these and use them.
Likes For Rick:
Old 02-29-24, 07:38 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I tried the Silca Tire Pressure Calculator then compared it to a couple of others. It gave me the lowest pressure compared to the others. Does any body have experience with these and use them.
I also use the SRAM calculator, which for me gives very similar results. They have slightly different parameter choices, for example Silca uses measured tyre width, while SRAM uses spec width and internal rim width. Silca has more choices of road surface. Both should give you a good starting point if you input your parameters accurately.
Old 02-29-24, 07:49 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked 3,757 Times in 1,842 Posts
I haven't used any others, but when I switched over to 32mm tires, the Silca calculator gave me a lower pressure than what I had been running, I adjusted pressure accordingly, felt like an improvement in ride to me.
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 02-29-24, 10:25 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Never used the Silca calculator before. It recommended 60ish, I've been running 52ish based on the Rene Herse calculator and will continue with that.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 02-29-24, 10:36 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
I like the rene herse calculator personally https://www.renehersecycles.com/tire...re-calculator/

it is a bit simpler.

I just ran both for a 32mm tubed tire at 260. Silca said 67 lbs vs rene herse saying 67 to 82, so they are somewhat aligned

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-29-24, 10:38 PM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
I use the silca one and it's pretty close to what I normally do. Which is 28mm gatorskins measured at 25= 85-90 psi or so at my 225lbs. 23mm measured at 95-100psi. Was a similar ballpark to what I was running before.
Old 03-01-24, 03:14 AM
MattoftheRocks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
I don’t bother with charts anymore. There’s too much variation between tires.

When I try a new-to-me model of tire I go out through the neighborhood and do a bunny hop session and let out rear tire air incrementally till I hit rim on landings, then I go home and add 15psi and set the front tire to 7-10psi under that. It’s usually perfect for one day. I’ll go 10psi over whatever those one-day pressures are if I’m wanting to ride five days without pumping.
Likes For MattoftheRocks:
Old 03-01-24, 06:28 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
I pump up my tire to a target pressure, measured using the gauge on my floor pump (> 15 years old, I've no idea how accurate the gauge is), and based on past experience with the particular tire I'm running, and also dependent on my ride (slow/fast, good roads/not-so-great roads, wet roads/dry roads, etc.). So, for a "fast" (for me) ride on decent roads that may be a little wet, just as an example, I might target 65-ish psi in my 32mm tires (rear), and a couple of psi lower for the front. Probably a little below 65 psi, actually, I'd just eyeball it as I got close to 65 and stop pumping when it felt right.
Then I pinch the tires between my finger and thumb, look up at the ceiling for a couple of seconds, and maybe add a little air or let a little out depending on my gut feel.
Then I ride.
Takes about a minute for both tires. Maybe two, if I haven't ridden in a few days and the tires are low.
After my ride, if the feel was overly harsh or overly squishy, then I keep that in mind for next time. Or, maybe I forget and make the same mistake again, but eventually the feedback influences the actions resulting from the pinch test (which is really the gold standard - the gauge just tells me when I'm getting close).
Likes For noimagination:
Old 03-01-24, 07:21 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
I used the Silca one and found it to work for me. But no two riders, road conditions, etc., are identical. The guides are just that-a guide, and a good place to start. A little up, or down from the recommended pressure might work a bit better, trial and error to get what works best.
Old 03-01-24, 08:08 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I regard their outputs as a suggested starting point. The Silca one is perfectly adequate in my experience. Then I keep riding and lowering the pressure until I don’t like it and take up just enough that I do.

Otto
Old 03-01-24, 09:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Are you expecting them to know exactly what pressure you must run in your tires?

Just consider it and any other sites recommendation a good starting point that might be right or might not. Then you can adjust up or down as you prefer. Base your tire pressure on what matters to you. Perhaps the performance data you record over a dozen or so rides at a particular pressure compared to any different pressure you used for another dozen rides. Or just your personal preference for the feel it gives your legs or how you perceive the comfort of your ride or the way you feel the road handling characteristics through your bicycle.
Old 03-01-24, 09:44 AM
PeteHski

Calculators like Silca and SRAM all clearly state that they are intended as a starting point from which to fine tune your setup as required. But I haven't yet found any reason to deviate from their recommendations. If they didn't exist I think I would end up running pressures too high, especially with wider road tyres. The drop in pressure with increasing rim and tyre width is surprisingly high. More than most people would probably guess.
Old 03-01-24, 09:44 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
That was a silly website.

It recommended my pressure be about 20 psi less than I normally use on my road bike.
Old 03-01-24, 10:04 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10439 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71

It recommended my pressure be about 20 psi less than I normally use on my road bike.
Do you often ask for advice so you can ridicule it for disagreeing with what you want to do? Have you met Larry?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-01-24, 10:18 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Calculators like Silca and SRAM all clearly state that they are intended as a starting point from which to fine tune your setup as required. But I haven't yet found any reason to deviate from their recommendations. If they didn't exist I think I would end up running pressures too high, especially with wider road tyres. The drop in pressure with increasing rim and tyre width is surprisingly high. More than most people would probably guess.
I am not sensitive enough to feel subtle differences, nor do I ride so consistently that marginal gains in speed will manifest themselves, so I just go with a pressure in the ballpark of their recommendations.

OTOH, last week I wanted to try 32mm tires, but I didn't want to pay $50-$80/tire to get 32mm GP5Ks to replace the 28mm GP5Ks on that bike, so instead I got 32mm Vittoria Corsa G2.0s, because Bike Closet has them for $35 each. I swapped them in, pumped them up to 70/75 (roughly Silca's recommendation) and went for my usual Sunday 59 mile ride. They were comfy, yes. Not necessarily that much comfier than the 28s at 80/85. But they were definitely SLOWER. I ended up with about 0.4 mph slower average speed over that route than my all time average for it.

Then I looked up the rolling resistance for GP5Ks and Corsa G2s on bicyclerollingresistance.com, and the Corsas have a 4w disadvantage. So I went to Bike Calculator and played with the power, and sure enough, that 8w disadvantage (2 tires) yields 0.4 mph slower speed.

So, in the end, I executed a poorly controlled experiment and learned nothing.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-01-24, 10:22 AM
PeteHski

There could be many valid reasons for that, but their data is derived from real world pro testing.
Old 03-01-24, 10:25 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts

Maybe you're running suboptimal tire pressure.
Old 03-01-24, 10:35 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by genejockey
I am not sensitive enough to feel subtle differences, nor do I ride so consistently that marginal gains in speed will manifest themselves, so I just go with a pressure in the ballpark of their recommendations.
Same for me. Ride comfort is easy to judge subjectively, but rolling resistance much less so. The Silca recommended pressures always give me a comfortably acceptable ride and I just trust that they are in the right ballpark for speed.
Old 03-01-24, 12:10 PM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
My thoughts:

1, Tire pressure actually is a pretty big deal (and free!)
2. Actual tire pressure is very hard to measure. Even gauges change over time.
3. Don't forget that tire pressure rises with temperature - enough PSI to be noticeable, but not like 10
4. The online calculators should better indicate which inputs are the most and least critical
5. The online calculators should output charts that you can play with
6. The online calculators should output test ideas that you can run yourself to see if your times line up with their predictions.
Old 03-01-24, 12:11 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
So, in the end, I executed a poorly controlled experiment and learned nothing.
Seems to me that you learned quite a bit:
  • bicyclerollingresistance provides actionable tire data
  • Bike Calculator quite accurately matches the real world

Old 03-01-24, 12:20 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
Tire pressure actually is a pretty big deal (and free!)
Hence the arguments.
​​​​​​
Actual tire pressure is very hard to measure. Even gauges change over time.
A good one won't drift much, and can be calibrated.
​​​​​​
Don't forget that tire pressure rises with temperature - enough PSI to be noticeable
Not enough to even worry about it.
​​​​​​
The online calculators should better indicate which inputs are the most and least critical
'Inputs'? What are we talking about?
​​​​​​
The online calculators should output charts that you can play with
What should these charts illustrate?
The online calculators should output test ideas that you can run yourself to see if your times line up with their predictions.
Testing requires a very controlled environment and rigorous procedures that few (or no) recreational cyclists can muster; hence the calculators.
Old 03-01-24, 12:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Seems to me that you learned quite a bit:
  • bicyclerollingresistance provides actionable tire data
  • Bike Calculator quite accurately matches the real world
Possibly, but the thing is, my Superpower as a Scientist has been my consistent ability to come up with hypotheses which completely and elegantly explain observations, but which, when tested, turn out to be completely wrong. So, I've learned never to fall in love with my hypotheses.

BTW, one interesting thing is, using the Silca calculator, you need to specify a measured width. On these rims, my "28mm" GP5Ks measure 29mm, whereas my "32mm" Corsas measure 30mm.

Old 03-01-24, 12:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

My thoughts:

1, Tire pressure actually is a pretty big deal (and free!)
2. Actual tire pressure is very hard to measure. Even gauges change over time.
3. Don't forget that tire pressure rises with temperature - enough PSI to be noticeable, but not like 10
4. The online calculators should better indicate which inputs are the most and least critical
5. The online calculators should output charts that you can play with
6. The online calculators should output test ideas that you can run yourself to see if your times line up with their predictions.
Nothing prevents you from incrementally changing variables and plotting the results yourself.

Old 03-01-24, 12:39 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Same for me. Ride comfort is easy to judge subjectively, but rolling resistance much less so. The Silca recommended pressures always give me a comfortably acceptable ride and I just trust that they are in the right ballpark for speed.
This is one advantage of riding the same route repeatedly - I have a lot of observations of how fast I am usually going at a given spot on the route for a given RPE and/or HR. So, for example, when I rolling along one stretch where I'd normally be going between 17 and 19 on the GP5Ks, on the Corsas it was more like 16-17. Similar for max coasting speeds on downhills, like the one where I spin up to 30 mph before the crosswalk and then coast. I usually can get up to about 35.5 - 36, whereas with the Corsas it was 34.5-35. In fact I was surprised that my average speed wasn't a lot slower.

Old 03-01-24, 12:47 PM
PeteHski

My thoughts:

Their purpose is to provide a suggested optimum pressure for a specific rider, tyre, rim, road combination. If you are thinking of changing one of those input parameters (eg wider rims or different tyres) then it is easy to see what effect it will have on the recommended pressure.

Some calculators, like Silca also provide slightly different recommendations for recreational comfort vs performance/racing etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.