Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery Track Bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mystery Track Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-24, 12:56 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
I will say that the transition from stays to fork ends is very clean, though. Smooth with real attention to detail, nice lines. I'd be curious to see the dropouts, and if they were handled similarly.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 03-02-24, 01:16 PM
FrejusFlyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 74 Posts
Here are the fork ends. The really crazy thing about this bike is that it only weighs 20 pounds, about a pound or two more than my carbon bike with Dura-ace.

Last edited by FrejusFlyer; 03-02-24 at 01:23 PM.
Likes For FrejusFlyer:
Old 03-03-24, 08:21 AM
St33lWh33ls

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I have a small collection of vintage track- 6day bicycles from various builders, Wastyn, Brennan, Drysdale, etc. The best way I found to identify most is by the lug cutouts, a lot of builders generally followed a pattern that they developed and stuck to throughout their careers. The head tube, fork crown cutouts, and the dropouts are your best clues to identify these types of bikes. Serials can be helpful, but not always, for instance Brennan’s don’t have serials, Wastyn was known to put what ever serial you wanted on a particular bicycle, Drysdale put his serials on the back of the fork crown. For the most part you can’t always identify a bicycle by its components, the BSA chainring for instance can be found on every bicycle I have mentioned, it’s akin to a Campagnolo chainring on a vintage bike, it was a widely used component across many bikes- builders. This also applies to most components, BSA made headsets, bottom brackets, hubs, etc; that were used on many bicycle makes.

There are a couple great resources to help identify these bikes, Jeff Groman’s Classic Cycles is one of my favorites.

https://classiccycleus.com/

This Weaver has similar headtube cutouts…

so does this Wastyn…

Of course none of this is 100%, but it could narrow down your search. Very cool bike by the way.
Likes For St33lWh33ls:
Old 03-03-24, 09:57 AM
FrejusFlyer

Originally Posted by St33lWh33ls
I have a small collection of vintage track- 6day bicycles from various builders, Wastyn, Brennan, Drysdale, etc. The best way I found to identify most is by the lug cutouts, a lot of builders generally followed a pattern that they developed and stuck to throughout their careers. The head tube, fork crown cutouts, and the dropouts are your best clues to identify these types of bikes. Serials can be helpful, but not always, for instance Brennan’s don’t have serials, Wastyn was known to put what ever serial you wanted on a particular bicycle, Drysdale put his serials on the back of the fork crown. For the most part you can’t always identify a bicycle by its components, the BSA chainring for instance can be found on every bicycle I have mentioned, it’s akin to a Campagnolo chainring on a vintage bike, it was a widely used component across many bikes- builders. This also applies to most components, BSA made headsets, bottom brackets, hubs, etc; that were used on many bicycle makes.

There are a couple great resources to help identify these bikes, Jeff Groman’s Classic Cycles is one of my favorites.

https://classiccycleus.com/

This Weaver has similar headtube cutouts…

so does this Wastyn…

Of course none of this is 100%, but it could narrow down your search. Very cool bike by the way.
Thanks very much for the information and photos!
Old 03-03-24, 09:58 AM
1oldtrackie

Bikes: Only Track bikes in the collection - about 27 or so left out of 130 approx

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 37 Posts
Basically identical to this old Stayer bike which we always thought might be a "MITTENS".

Likes For 1oldtrackie:
Old 03-03-24, 12:13 PM
FrejusFlyer

Originally Posted by 1oldtrackie
Basically identical to this old Stayer bike which we always thought might be a "MITTENS".

Thanks for the photo and information! Lots of good information to look into!
Old 03-03-24, 04:56 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
All those fork ends look to be the same as Wastyn used on Paramount's.
Likes For merziac: