Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tanner's Orchard Vintage & Steel bike ride, Peoria, IL USA, Sept 28, 2019

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Tanner's Orchard Vintage & Steel bike ride, Peoria, IL USA, Sept 28, 2019

Old 09-23-19, 01:46 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
Originally Posted by schundog
Bump for a fun ride! The Bloomington group of Brian, Bob, and Julian discussed convoy plans this weekend, and I am still working on getting our friend Ted to join us. He has a green Fuji with gold rims that he rides more often than not.

Julian saved my bacon on Saturday, as the bike I intend to ride, a 1982 Bianchi, had a loose crank arm. I took it down to the coop, and Julian got it back on tight, after inspecting it. I've ridden it 40 miles or so since, and will ride it all this week just to make sure it's good to go.
I hope Ted can make it! If the lure of warm donuts and apple fritters isn't sufficient enticement, there's always the excitement of travel to exotic locations.. such as Peoria and the Illinois River ("exotic" = "escaping from the stuff you've seen a hundred times")

Good for Julian for helping with the crank arm. It's not a difficult thing to fix at home with relatively common tools, but if it happens on the road, it might trash the crank arm.

Looking forward to seeing everyone, and their cool bikes!

nice looking bike and a lovely scenic background!

Steve in exotic Peoria
Old 09-23-19, 01:54 PM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I hope Ted can make it! If the lure of warm donuts and apple fritters isn't sufficient enticement, there's always the excitement of travel to exotic locations.. such as Peoria and the Illinois River ("exotic" = "escaping from the stuff you've seen a hundred times")

Good for Julian for helping with the crank arm. It's not a difficult thing to fix at home with relatively common tools, but if it happens on the road, it might trash the crank arm.

nice looking bike and a lovely scenic background!

Steve in exotic Peoria
It's exotic compared to Normal, that's for sure.
Old 09-23-19, 01:58 PM
steelbikeguy

because the weather was great this morning and someone has to do quality checks on donuts, I did a quick run up to Tanner's Orchard again.

As many polls have indicated, the one thing that keeps America up at night is the eternal question: "Will there be a good pumpkin crop this year? Will we have enough pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving?"
I'm here to comfort you and say "yes, the crop looks okay", with the usual disclaimer of "but what the heck do I know".
At least it looked good to me.
The owner of this field has gone through and separated the pumpkins from the vines and arranged them into rows, as preparation for loading them into trucks.

Tanner's has pumpkins on display out front too.
Also note the grain truck going by on Knoxville road. Yep, it is now harvest season and the grain trucks are on the move! They are in a hurry and have higher priorities than watching out for cyclists, so keep an eye out for them.

The forecast has been slipping a bit. Keep your fingers crossed, and maybe dig out your rain gear and fenders, just in case??

Steve in pumpkin-spiced Peoria
Old 09-23-19, 06:17 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 65 Posts
To Steve in Peoria: Just a thought, if you wanted to move it up a week or two you possibly tie it in to the Morton Pumpkin Fest that usually takes place the 2nd week in September. Plenty of good country roads over here. Lots of good pumpkin flavored goodies (donuts, chili, cookies, pork chop sandwiches, ice cream, ad nauseum) in addition to your basic carnival fare. (maybe not Tanners but pretty good none the less)
Old 09-23-19, 06:48 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by motogeek
To Steve in Peoria: Just a thought, if you wanted to move it up a week or two you possibly tie it in to the Morton Pumpkin Fest that usually takes place the 2nd week in September. Plenty of good country roads over here. Lots of good pumpkin flavored goodies (donuts, chili, cookies, pork chop sandwiches, ice cream, ad nauseum) in addition to your basic carnival fare. (maybe not Tanners but pretty good none the less)
The Illinois Valley Wheelm'n (in Peoria) and the Bloomington club(??) do a ride where we meet in Mackinaw, appropriately called the Meet In The Middle ride. We happened to do it on the day of the parade in Morton, and had a heck of a time getting through town. I'm not sure that I'd want to intentionally schedule a ride on that day in that area.

The Illinois Valley Wheelm'n did do an invitational ride in the Morton area at the end of August. i.e. this is a marked route with rest stops and a meal at the end, etc. It's called the No Baloney ride, in reference to the goal of having decent food. This might be an opportunity for C&V folks to meet and ride.
Info is at this site: https://ivwnobaloney.com/
We had about 400 riders this year and it seemed to go quite well. Folks were generally pretty happy with the routes, the food, etc.

Any interest??

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-23-19, 08:03 PM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

pics???

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-23-19, 08:08 PM
Gravity Aided

That's while I was testing it, it now has rat trap pedals and a believable saddle. All Campy drivetrain, with period Mafac Racers for brakes, and soon to have more correct period wheels, as those Mavics are 1987 vintage, and have to go on my Bianchi Squadra project. I should patch the concrete in my driveway, too. The Falcon is a fun bike to ride, 531 steel dream machine, thrown out on the curbside, found by a local bike guy. Campy Velox rear derailleur, and box type FD.

Last edited by Gravity Aided; 09-23-19 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-24-19, 09:33 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by Gravity Aided
That's while I was testing it, it now has rat trap pedals and a believable saddle. All Campy drivetrain, with period Mafac Racers for brakes, and soon to have more correct period wheels, as those Mavics are 1987 vintage, and have to go on my Bianchi Squadra project. I should patch the concrete in my driveway, too. The Falcon is a fun bike to ride, 531 steel dream machine, thrown out on the curbside, found by a local bike guy. Campy Velox rear derailleur, and box type FD.
I was going to guess that it was a Valentino rear derailleur... what's the difference between the Velox and Valentino?

The wrap-over seat stays are an interesting feature too. I can see that it could save some work when making the frame if you don't have to attach each stay to the seat lug individually. On the other hand.. you would need a long tube that necks down in the middle, and I'm wondering how they would make it. Just swage it?? I suppose it would be similar to how fork blades are tapered.

In one of the old issues of Bicycling that I saved, there is an advertisement for Falcon that includes the wrap-over stays as a key feature of the bike (see below).

Steve in Peoria

Old 09-24-19, 01:47 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 65 Posts
When I discovered that the IVW and the Bloomington/Normal club were doing a "Meet in the Middle" ride I posted on here that maybe they should try to avoid Morton due to the Pumpkin Festival congestion. Best place to avoid the crowds on parade Saturday is Field Shopping Center on the south side of to town.

The No Baloney Ride, if I'm not mistaken, has its birth from the old Pedal-In (back in the days where we had "-Ins".) Believe we served baloney sandwiches at rest stops. Warm baloney sandwiches didn't go over well. Green bananas didn't ripen fast enough either.
Old 09-24-19, 02:28 PM
Gravity Aided

I think I ,h try and get a few pictures up on Wednesdayboth
Old 09-24-19, 02:31 PM
Gravity Aided

I'll try to get some pictures up Wednesday, I think I have both
Old 09-24-19, 08:27 PM
schundog

Bikes: Masi CXR, Trek Crossrip 3, Trek 5500 OCLV, 1982 Bianchi SS, Civia Kingfield Belt-Drive Commuter, Cannondale T700, Cannondale R600, Cannondale R800, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert, 1988 Peugeot Nice, Marin Bobcat Trail 3 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
The Illinois Valley Wheelm'n (in Peoria) and the Bloomington club(??) do a ride where we meet in Mackinaw, appropriately called the Meet In The Middle ride. We happened to do it on the day of the parade in Morton, and had a heck of a time getting through town. I'm not sure that I'd want to intentionally schedule a ride on that day in that area.

The Illinois Valley Wheelm'n did do an invitational ride in the Morton area at the end of August. i.e. this is a marked route with rest stops and a meal at the end, etc. It's called the No Baloney ride, in reference to the goal of having decent food. This might be an opportunity for C&V folks to meet and ride.
Info is at this site: https://ivwnobaloney.com/
We had about 400 riders this year and it seemed to go quite well. Folks were generally pretty happy with the routes, the food, etc.

Any interest??

Steve in Peoria
Ted and I did the Metric Century at this year’s No Baloney Ride (his first Metric ). Great weather, routes, and well organized. It ALMOST cost me a lot more than my entrance fee, however, as Russell’s Cycle had a honey of a vintage Trek in my size. A bit too pricey for my cheap self, luckily.

Old 09-26-19, 04:38 AM
Gravity Aided

Originally Posted by Gravity Aided
I'll try to get some pictures up Wednesday, I think I have both
A Valentino, from B/F
Old 09-26-19, 04:43 AM
Gravity Aided

A Velox
Old 09-26-19, 09:44 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Hey guys, I going to skip the trip north. 12 hours on the road up and back, with likely rain for Saturday just isn't worth the long drive. I'll miss the people and the ride itself, but not the storms.

Apologies for the last-minute change - if everything works out and you go, I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable ride. The donuts are good.
Old 09-26-19, 09:58 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
This is such a good thread with pics that I was thinking about flying east to ride..... but the airline rejected my request..... to bring my Emotional Support Bike with me in the cabin. Oh well.
Old 09-26-19, 02:27 PM
steelbikeguy

Ted and I did the Metric Century at this year’s No Baloney Ride (his first Metric ). Great weather, routes, and well organized. It ALMOST cost me a lot more than my entrance fee, however, as Russell’s Cycle had a honey of a vintage Trek in my size. A bit too pricey for my cheap self, luckily.

531 tubing, SunTour parts, rack fittings... seems like the perfect bike!
Or maybe just the perfect bike for commuting, running errands, riding in crappy weather (with fenders & lights), etc.??
I hope someone gives it a good home.

Glad that Ted had a good experience on No Baloney. One of our younger club couples, Isaac and Andrea Grimm, did the bulk of the planning, organizing, cat herding, etc. It was their second year taking on this responsibility and they did a wonderful job. We had tremendous good fortune in regard to the weather too. It certainly wasn't typical for late August.

Speaking of weather... the forecast isn't looking so great for Saturday.
Right now, the NWS is saying there is a 40% chance of showers, with some chance of thunderstorms after 1pm. I have a couple of on-topic bikes with fenders, so I'll certainly be there. Everyone should consider their own tolerance for rain and such, and plan accordingly.
On the plus side, this should reduce the crowds at Tanner's Orchard, so that means more warm donuts for us!

Steve in sunny Peoria .... for now
Old 09-26-19, 02:31 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by speedevil
Hey guys, I going to skip the trip north. 12 hours on the road up and back, with likely rain for Saturday just isn't worth the long drive. I'll miss the people and the ride itself, but not the storms.

Apologies for the last-minute change - if everything works out and you go, I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable ride. The donuts are good.
Very understandable!
I was going to PM you and check on your plans, because I wouldn't make that sort of drive with the lousy forecast.

Of course, you know what this means, don't you? Once you cancel your plans, the day will turn out to be perfect... sunny, cool breezes, etc.
The rest of us appreciate your sacrifice.

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-26-19, 02:34 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by Wildwood
This is such a good thread with pics that I was thinking about flying east to ride..... but the airline rejected my request..... to bring my Emotional Support Bike with me in the cabin. Oh well.
I wonder if a Brompton would qualify???

They are cute and so small. How could the airline say no?

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-26-19, 08:19 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Glue some hair to it and call it a dog.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-26-19, 09:00 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
531 tubing, SunTour parts, rack fittings... seems like the perfect bike!
Or maybe just the perfect bike for commuting, running errands, riding in crappy weather (with fenders & lights), etc.??
I hope someone gives it a good home.
I can vouch for this model. Fun bike to customize. Can take 650b.
Old 09-27-19, 04:04 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by natterberry
I can vouch for this model. Fun bike to customize. Can take 650b.
Having seen Nick's, I'd send it to him with some cash and just wait for it.
Old 09-27-19, 04:55 AM
Gravity Aided

It may be cool for the ride, with a few showers. The approaching front will stall out right around the river valley, but may rain itself out overnight. So you may have some floody roads, especially around Chillicothe, but if you wind up on the backside of the front, you'll have cool temperatures in the 70's, if not, maybe around 80 or a little above. Weather Service says due to low level convergence there will be low low level chances for precipitation, but 40% likelihood just the same. Weather in this area is always good this time of year, just alternates between sunny and rainy good. Sounds like a fine day for a ride to Tanners, in other words.

The very best of luck and weather to you all, have a great ride.
Old 09-27-19, 05:20 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 643 Posts
I hope you guys have a good time. A splash of precip, especially in the afternoon, can cool you off ! Send pics of this great ride in the heartland.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 09-28-19, 04:30 PM
steelbikeguy

It was a dark and stormy night.....

no, seriously... it was seriously nasty weather on Friday night!
Thunderstorm warnings, flood warnings, and even tornado warnings! Heavy rain and thunder all night long. Not something to be dismissed, and certainly not a good omen for Saturday's ride.

I had a 10 mile ride to the start at Shore Acres Park in Chillicothe. The rain had just stopped when I left home at 7:30 and it was still looking pretty moist when going down the bluffs at the edge of the flood plain....

by the time I got to the Illinois river and was heading north, it wasn't looking too bad. The rain jacket quickly came off and was stowed in the Carradice saddle bag.

The roads were still soaked and the clouds to the north weren't looking too welcoming, so I wasn't sure if anyone would show up. Local buddies Jack and Ken did drive by me on the river road, so that was a good sign.

Steve in Peoria

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.