Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Genesis Folding Bike

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Genesis Folding Bike

Old 06-10-14, 06:38 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Walmart sells folding bikes? I had no clue! Well, it's not the cheapest bike on the market, but it doesn't look too bad. I'd like to know how it performs in the long run, especially against a similar Citizen.

M.
Old 06-11-14, 07:25 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
With the exception of the cheap plastic kickstand mounting hardware the bike, IMO, looks good.
Old 06-11-14, 10:29 AM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure I understand about the kickstand; I'll get a picture tonight an upload. There's not much plastic about it- seems like it's mostly aluminum.

Anyway, I was toying with bullhorn bars and a bottle holder location, what are your thoughts on this arrangement? (the twist grip shifter is temporary, it's the Shimano Revo shifter that came on the bike but will be replaced with some other shifter).

Old 06-11-14, 05:09 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
The bullhorns look no more functional than a flat handlebar with larger barends.
Old 06-11-14, 06:00 PM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikeLite
The bullhorns look no more functional than a flat handlebar with larger barends.
You're right. After riding it like this for a short time (10 minutes?) I decided to move the brake levers out to the forward-facing part of the bullhorn. So this moved the "default" hand position as well. Not sure I like the wrist angle riding like this? Maybe I need to adjust the bullhorn angle more vertical?

Yes I know that grip shifter looks stupid, and it's also a bit of a pain to shift. So that'll be changed out to something.

One thing I can say the bullhorns do- they stretch the reach a little which makes the bike feel less upright.

I said I would report on how the bike rides, so here goes. The quality of this bike is miles ahead of the previous cheapo folding bike I had, linked here. The extra $50 is well spent on the Genesis. Although the main frame clamp doesn't seem excessively tight when I close the hinge latch, there is zero noise from the main hinge. Pulling on the bars results in a very faint squeak from the handlebar stem hinge. Everything else is quite good, I have no complaints.
EXCEPT....in higher gears there is a rhythmic knocking coming from (I think) the bottom bracket. I haven't torn into it yet, but I *think* the BB is sealed bearing? Everything feels tight. I already swapped out the plastic folding pedals, so they're not the culprit.

So hopefully I can figure out what that issue is. The freewheel (fairly certain this 6 spd is not freehub) makes a lot of clicking noise when coasting but I'm pretty sure that's normal.

The seat is not overly comfortable, but I think most people plan on swapping the seat anyway.

The cable lengths seem a little long, but maybe it's something to do with the fold. It's something I can live with (or shorten the cables...).

Genesis did not include a bottle cage mount anywhere, I used a Bell adjustable handlebar bottle cage mount on the steering stem; I like the placement and unbelievably it doesn't seem to impact the fold (but the bullhorns do to an extent).

There ARE provisions for both a rack and front/rear fenders on the frame.

Finally, the things I would suggest to improve this bike would be 1) quick release axles and 2) freehub instead of freewheel for easier upgrade path.

Last edited by atombikes; 06-11-14 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-12-14, 05:25 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, knocking noise solved. I thought it was the BB, but frankly everything seemed tight and the bottom bracket and cranks seemed to be OK quality. So I turned my attention to the rear wheel. I removed the wheel and the freewheel (which I earlier said made too much noise while freewheeling) seemed loose. I could grab the largest cog and move the entire freewheel about .5 to 1mm. The freewheel brand is "Fleaby", whatever that is.

So, I replaced the cheap freewheel with a Shimano MF-TZ20 and problem solved!

I have $220 invested in this bike and it seems to tick all my boxes. I'm happy, and I urge others looking for a decent quality, low cost folder to consider this bike. The only issue I can see is there's only one color.

Last edited by atombikes; 06-12-14 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-12-14, 08:25 PM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to see the naysayers being knocked down a peg.

From day one I've seen some of them proclaim that the only way to get a decent bike is to throw money at the problem. Maybe it's a middle-class, 'people with too much disposable income/savings' kinda mentality.

I use money for many other things in my life with similar or higher priorities - family, friends, my kid - soon to be two hopefully, retirement savings, mortgage, etc.

I do have the disposable income to purchase expensive bikes, but it's never an easy decision to lay it down as some make it out to be.
Old 06-13-14, 04:50 PM
tk1971

Bikes: Nishiki Prestige, Reign, IH Warrior, Rockhopper, Brompton, Q-Bike, Forever, Free-Ride, Dahon, Merckx Premium, Litespeed Teramo, Raleigh MTi 1000, Motobecane Fly Ti, OnOne 456, Kona Unit, Transition TransAM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks nice. With only 6 gears in the rear, I'd put a friction barcon shifter on that and call it good. It would shift buttery smooth...
Old 06-14-14, 06:26 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by keyven

From day one I've seen some of them proclaim that the only way to get a decent bike is to throw money at the problem. Maybe it's a middle-class, 'people with too much disposable income/savings' kinda mentality.

I use money for many other things in my life with similar or higher priorities - family, friends, my kid - soon to be two hopefully, retirement savings, mortgage, etc.

I do have the disposable income to purchase expensive bikes, but it's never an easy decision to lay it down as some make it out to be.
keyven,
This wasn't really my intent, but I do understand and relate to your post. I suppose I make a decent living; and although bicycles are one of my passions, I still can't justify a big cash outlay for one. When it comes to spending money on any of my hobbies, I find I have to strike a balance with other expenditures usually taking a much higher priority.

So when I found what I thought was a good deal, I naturally wanted to share my find with everyone here. I know bikes at this lower price point aren't for everyone; but I know there's a lot of thrifty people out there like me.

Originally Posted by tk1971
Looks nice. With only 6 gears in the rear, I'd put a friction barcon shifter on that and call it good. It would shift buttery smooth...
tk1971- I used 22.2mm (7/8) bullhorn bars on this from Crow Cycle (leftover from an old build) and the ID of the bars are not large enough for Suntour Barcons (I tried). But you're right, they would be perfect. These bars are sweet because mountain bike components work perfectly due to the 7/8" dia. I'm gonna have to wait for my next flight home to grab another shifter, I think I have a early 90s friction thumbshifter that might mount on the forward part of the bullhorn fairly well. So for now I'm stuck with this shifter. I love the bullhorns on this bike, though.

Last edited by atombikes; 06-14-14 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-19-14, 03:57 PM
jobtraklite

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keyven

Originally Posted by atombikes
keyven,
This wasn't really my intent, but I do understand and relate to your post.
Atom, I don't think Keyven's comment was directed toward you, rather to posts that were criticizing your choice without any first hand knowledge on their part.

FWIW, I also have disposable income; and bikes are one of the few things I spend it freely on. But not everyone is upper middle class, or if they are, they don't suffer from consumeritis. For that reason, threads like this are valuable.
Old 06-19-14, 04:36 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jobtraklite
Atom, I don't think Keyven's comment was directed toward you, rather to posts that were criticizing your choice without any first hand knowledge on their part.

FWIW, I also have disposable income; and bikes are one of the few things I spend it freely on. But not everyone is upper middle class, or if they are, they don't suffer from consumeritis. For that reason, threads like this are valuable.
Thanks, I think we're all on the same page.

I'll report back later once I learn more or have something new to tell; but as of now, I'm still satisfied with my purchase and think this bike is great buy.
Old 06-19-14, 05:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Check back in a Year.. see what Broke.
Old 06-19-14, 07:18 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
OK, I will

I was going to say a bunch of stuff about how we don't know what company actually makes this bike, etc, but there's no need.

In my earlier posts I forgot to mention- this bike has a lifetime warranty on the frame, backed by the largest retailer in the US.

So I'm thinking that within a year, if anything happens to the bike, I'll just return it for a no-hassle refund of my full purchase price.

Try that with whatever you ride.
Old 06-19-14, 07:41 PM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I apologise for being somewhat critical of the comments here, but I hope people will be a little more accepting of lesser known brands.

There's no need to be snide whenever someone gives a hitherto unknown brand a try. It's nothing more than schoolyard bullying, laughing at some kid's no-name new ride while you flaunt your BMXs. It's one thing to be proud of your own bike, it's another to be an ass about someone else's.

Sheesh, and they say branding isn't everything. No wonder Apple was at one point the most valuable company in the world.
Old 06-19-14, 08:02 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
somebody who enjoys and rides his 200 dlr bike is at least as good as somebody with a 2000 dlr bike who doesn't ride it ...
( except of course if he bought the 2000 dlr bike from me ..lol )

no kidding though
good on ya
Old 06-20-14, 01:21 AM
marxmini

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
congratulations on your new bike. for the price and for your purpose, this bike is a winner. :-) cheers!
Old 06-20-14, 06:12 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
The biggest problem with bikes like this are that they are put together very badly. If you don't know anything about bikes, this is a big problem. And once you factor taking a bike to a bikeshop to get it tuned up and parts replaced, what seemed like a good deal no longer is.

This is very different when people are able to work on the bikes themselves (and have a good idea what they are in for).

In this case, the OP has built absolutely beautiful bike frames, so I have NO doubt that as long as the frame and stem are fine, he'll be able to fix anything else.
Old 06-20-14, 08:11 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
& [along the same lines...] you wont find a Bicycle Service Section in a Wally*World , it's just another commodity to ring up on the way out of the store.

same as in most big box stores (except, like, REI)
Old 06-20-14, 08:56 AM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cplager
The biggest problem with bikes like this are that they are put together very badly. If you don't know anything about bikes, this is a big problem. And once you factor taking a bike to a bikeshop to get it tuned up and parts replaced, what seemed like a good deal no longer is.

This is very different when people are able to work on the bikes themselves (and have a good idea what they are in for).

In this case, the OP has built absolutely beautiful bike frames, so I have NO doubt that as long as the frame and stem are fine, he'll be able to fix anything else.
Thank you.

I think you make a valid point here... when I recieved this bike there was a problem. It was minor, but so noticable that within the first several miles I knew I had to fix it (the rythmic noise I reported earlier that turned out to be the junky freewheel). I WAS able to identify the noise and resolve it fairly cheaply; but what about a buyer that's not a "wrench"? I paid for a new freewheel and, although not happy about it, am satisified that my total cash outlay still results in a "good deal", so I was OK with replacing the freewheel rather than returning the bike for a refund.

But many would have to pay to have the problem fixed or just live with the noise until the freewheel failed. Either would probably result in lower buyer satisfaction.

So with the above, I suppose I will revise my recommendation to "this bike is a good value if you have the mechanical aptitude and inclination to deal with unforeseen issues" or something along those lines.
Old 06-20-14, 10:01 AM
BikeKraft
BikingYupik

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I bought a bike for my wife from Performance Bike.
It was inexpensive, less than $400.
I had to go through it and adjust about everything.
Tighten screws.
Must just be me but I consider it normal.
Doesn't Dahon recommend taking your new purchase to the local bike shop for service prior to riding?
Old 06-20-14, 04:26 PM
willhenry

Bikes: Norco XFR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeKraft
I bought a bike for my wife from Performance Bike.
It was inexpensive, less than $400.
I had to go through it and adjust about everything.
Tighten screws.
Must just be me but I consider it normal.
Doesn't Dahon recommend taking your new purchase to the local bike shop for service prior to riding?
Most bike brands do, especially if you bought it boxed. Home builders tend to cut corners and forget stuff. Most shops charge less than $30, so I'd consider it worthwhile for the peace of mind.
Old 06-20-14, 04:28 PM
willhenry

Bikes: Norco XFR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atombikes
The freewheel brand is "Fleaby", whatever that is.
Now that is what I'd call a branding fail!
Old 06-21-14, 12:45 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
$20 price drop!
The Genesis 20" folder is now $179 at Walmart

20" Genesis, City Cruiser, Folding Bike, Green - Walmart.com

How can you afford to NOT buy one?
Old 06-21-14, 05:48 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was a little bored this evening so I decided to try to place the bike in this Samsonite 26" suitcase I got off craigslist a couple weeks ago. This suitcase measures 26" x 21" x 10" and has a taper towards the top. It's not the best suitcase to put a folder in, but it was only $20 and I thought it looked big enough to work, but at the same time look small enough to not raise any eyes when checking it at the airport.

I did have to disassemble the bike partially, but I totally expected that. The frame and folding stem were no problem at all, especially since the stem is a telescoping one with a 4 bolt handlebar stem at the top. Made it very easy to get the frame into the case with plenty of room. The biggest issue I had were the wheels and tires; since there is a center latch at the top of the case (as well as two side latches) I had to let the air out of the tires to get them to fit due to the latch.

Before I actually fly with it I will have to devise some sort of padding to protect all the parts.

all in except wheels

Old 06-23-14, 07:33 AM
BikeKraft
BikingYupik

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I notice for less than $16 you can purchase a 3 year warranty/service contract.
This is tempting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.