Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strava - good or bad for cycling?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Strava - good or bad for cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 03:52 PM
THSdrummer

Bikes: '12 CAAD10 3, '88 Raleigh Talon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by X-LinkedRider
The segments are a double edge sword. Sometimes you have to avoid trying to climb the segment leaderboard to save the rest of the ride. Also I find that some people will ride out just to beat on a segment and then go home. Makes it pretty hard for people doing 30+ miles before or after a segment to try and keep up. Not to mention certain people you know sit in a car with their garmin on and blow up the segment.

To the second point, there isn't always somebody around in person and trying to improve on certain sections might be what I am after sometimes.
Exactly, we have no clue as to what the current "leader" did that day. Perhaps they took the day before extremely easy, and then simply did a short warm-up, killed the segment, then headed home. Hardly the same level as a rider who hit the segment in the middle of his/her 60 mile ride, but lost by a few second.

I know there are not always people around to compete with, but all I'm saying is, I'd prefer to show up to a drop ride, or pay a race entry fee, and test my skills side-by-side with other athletes. Instead of fighting the clock on a random segment. Not say the segments don't have their benefit. Tackling a segment in the middle of a ride is an excellent way to stay aggressive, and (loosely) compare yourself with other riders.
Old 01-10-13, 05:18 PM
tctdvm

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by THSdrummer
Exactly, we have no clue as to what the current "leader" did that day. Perhaps they took the day before extremely easy, and then simply did a short warm-up, killed the segment, then headed home. Hardly the same level as a rider who hit the segment in the middle of his/her 60 mile ride, but lost by a few second.

I know there are not always people around to compete with, but all I'm saying is, I'd prefer to show up to a drop ride, or pay a race entry fee, and test my skills side-by-side with other athletes. Instead of fighting the clock on a random segment. Not say the segments don't have their benefit. Tackling a segment in the middle of a ride is an excellent way to stay aggressive, and (loosely) compare yourself with other riders.
Who cares what the leader did? They did what they needed to do to win that segment on that day. Make a segment that covers your whole ride if you think you've got to prove something.

I don't really see how it is any different than an 'actual' race. half the people that show up are there to support their teammates. A large chunk are targeting other races. Some raced the day before, some had to travel. Some have intestinal difficulties. Some didn't sleep good. Mechanicals. Bikes are rarely checked for compliance to the rules.
13 or 14 masters men were convicted of doping a year or 2 ago in WA state alone. You're really naive if you think there's something more "legit" about an actual sanctioned race.

All races are kinda pointless really. I don't see how it's any different with a segment: you do it for the fun of it. Back up your strava KOMs with some official race results and some hammerfest rides with your strava buddies. They're the only ones that will care about your results anyway. They'd know if you're cheating or not.

Seriously though, if a particular segment isn't important enough to you to give it 100%, then you're probably not going to get the KOM. Live with it. Can't really criticize someone for burying themselves to take it. If they're not burying themselves, then it's up to you to go back and "fix it".

T
Old 01-10-13, 05:50 PM
thisisbenji

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Specialized Crux, Specialized Carve

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@tctdvm I think you missed the point. Sure if you really want a KoM you'll get it, but that doesn't make the results comparable.

Old 01-10-13, 06:06 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thisisbenji
@tctdvm I think you missed the point. Sure if you really want a KoM you'll get it, but that doesn't make the results comparable.
He very much missed the point. It all comes down to riding style, purpose, and the rider themselves. Whether segments are AS useful to each other is a moot point. The simple comparison is having strava or not having strava. Anyone arguing that not having any data to support their training is better than having data (Whether be 100% useful or not) are just crazy. My guess is the usual pre-judgement mixed with a little bit of envy. Those who have never tried it are the ones saying it is stupid.
Old 01-10-13, 06:12 PM
Beneficial Ear
Car Free

Bikes: caad8, Trek 1000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread has inspired me to grab a Garmin and link it up with Strava. I really like the way its layed out... and although straight line/street KOM's are hard to validate/compare to... the ones that are around trails/circular routes are much more realistic (though we still can't say if others were pacing etc). There is a trail specifically I want the KOM on - its the trail where one day I hope to break 25 miles in an hour, and when I do that, it will be recorded and on the 'net so I and others can review the ride. I think overall its an incredible tool and look forward to taking part in the community.
Old 01-10-13, 06:35 PM
petrolhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having a premium Strava membership I can break segments down by age group. Clicking on my 50-55 age group makes me feel a whole lot better...
Old 01-10-13, 06:52 PM
Jobiensis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by petrolhead
Having a premium Strava membership I can break segments down by age group. Clicking on my 50-55 age group makes me feel a whole lot better...
Unfortunately all the fast people on my rides seem to be in both my age and weight range. Maybe I need to fatten up to be competitive.
Old 01-10-13, 06:53 PM
tctdvm

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thisisbenji
I don't think I missed it...
if you're using the word "comparable" to mean "a tool to help predict someone's fitness level", then Strava works just fine for me.
I know exactly how hard many of the local cyclists are going just by looking at their results compared to mine. I know who should/could be ahead of me on many segments. Not my fault if they never get around to it.
Again, not really that different from an "actual" race. When everything comes together just right, you do really well... when it doesn't, your results are not so good.

Perhaps those who are critical of the validity are just skimming the results. or perhaps live in an area with a lot of cheats. or have never actually used it... IDK.
Perhaps you're just looking at 1 segment. 1 segment won't tell you much, but 50 within the context of each segment's specific ride over the course of a season or 2, will tell you a lot.
I like to dig through results. I like the numbers. I like the data. Doesn't take much digging to see pretty clearly where I stand vs the other guys.
After a year+ I know where most of the guys that strava near me are at fitness-wise, and whether they're trying or tootling on a given ride.
(Certainly helps having HR and Power, though. Unfortunately, my PT is an older wired hub, so my data doesn't show up on Strava.)

Oh, it also helps to go ride the 'official TT route' segments. Like this: https://app.strava.com/segments/627844 or this https://app.strava.com/segments/619566

Those tend to be pretty accurate as far as placement/standings go. ( Although, you have to crop the segment so the strava clock isn't running while everyone's sitting at the start. ) Plus you can always check the standings against the official results.

A big issues seems to be: Watts:Kilos and Watts:CdA
everyone focuses on the first and dismisses the 2nd... but I happen to know both and monitor the change in both throughout the season.
I happen to have a really high Watts:CdA, which is why I think flat segments are kinda bogus, and also why I happen to have 81 KOMs and not 20.
But I don't really make segments (cept for a handful of official TT routes) and I would certainly never make a downhill one.

But, if you create a flat or downhill segment near me, I'm going to take it.

Overall, I have much better times on the flats when there's no wind, then when there's a tailwind. Mostly cuz of the seasonal nature of the winds out on the flood planes near me.
But if you hit the same flat segments every few weeks all year round, you'd be able to quantify the other rider's results.
I can even tell when they're getting help up a hill from a tailwind. and yes, sometimes I'll even hit a steeper hill segment when the winds are favorable. :-)

T