Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin premium HR sensor - fixed! (Thanks, DC Rainmaker)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 04:10 PM
bobonker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If anyone follows DC Rainmaker's articles, you've probably seen this one which deals with the comfy but often super flakey Garmin Premium HR strap:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/s...utsspikes.html

Solution: Replace Garmin strap with Polar "Wearlink" strap. The Garmin sensor snaps right in. Curiously, the newer premium strap looks exactly like the Polar strap. Hmmm.

Got my Polar strap for $16.95 delivered from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Polar-WearLink...+monitor+strap

A little history: I got the premium HR strap with my Edge 305 about 2 years ago. For the first 9 months or so, it worked great. Never had a problem. After that, it would only reliably work (for another 2-3 months) if I soaked it in water before my ride. After that, I could not get it to work reliably any more. So, I shelved it and got a 'standard' HRM strap which is less comfortable but very reliable. With the new Polar strap, it works great. I'm stoked because the soft strap is more comfortable and now that I have 2 HRM straps, I can leave one at work for my CX bike.

Bob

Last edited by bobonker; 02-07-13 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-07-13, 04:27 PM
TANC
Roubaix for me !!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good info right there. Been thru 2 premium straps in 1 year. Thankfully, Garmin replaced both at no charge. But I may order this to have a backup.
Old 02-07-13, 05:24 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I've been using an old Garmin hard strap for 3 years with no issues (as long as I rub the contacts with a little water when putting it on), but my wife has a Bontrager soft strap that has been erratic. It looks just like the Garmin premium so maybe we'll give that Polar strap a try with the Bontrager transmitter.
Old 02-07-13, 05:49 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
The Polar Wearlink straps also fail. They last me about a year. I always have at least one backup. I care for them exactly per Polar's instructions. OTOH, they're cheap. Just another consumable. Touring, etc., I always carry a spare strap.
Old 02-07-13, 05:49 PM
neneboricua

Bikes: '09 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried the Polar Wearlink strap and it worked for a while but died on me after a couple of months. It kept reading a constant heart rate no matter what was going on at the time.

In the end, I just bought a new Garmin HR monitor (the soft strap version) but from REI this time. So every time it dies after 6-12 months like my previous one did, I'll head down to REI and exchange it for a new one.
Old 02-07-13, 05:52 PM
bobonker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you guys that are using the Wearlink strap putting any kind of HR gel/water on the electrodes? Mine didn't work until I put the gel on them. The standard Garmin one usually works for me without the gel.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 02-07-13, 05:58 PM
JakiChan

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever HR strap I use I generally soak the electrodes before I start. I've been using the same Polar WearLink strap in the gym for about 3 years now without a problem (3x to 5x workouts/week). I haven't tried the Garmin premium strap yet - I'm still using the Bontrager strap that came with my Node 2.1. It's been a decent strap so far, although it's the old kind where the sensor is what is holding the two ends together.
Old 02-07-13, 06:00 PM
JakiChan

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobonker
Got my Polar strap for $16.95 delivered from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Polar-WearLink...+monitor+strap
BTW - did you have to trim it at all? I thought I read something on his site that said that they'd changed the strap, and the Garmin transmitter no longer just plugged in, but that there were some rubber cups around the straps that were causing the transmitter to pop out.
Old 02-07-13, 06:58 PM
bobonker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JakiChan
BTW - did you have to trim it at all? I thought I read something on his site that said that they'd changed the strap, and the Garmin transmitter no longer just plugged in, but that there were some rubber cups around the straps that were causing the transmitter to pop out.
I haven't had to trim the rubber cups. In fact, I didn't even notice them until you mentioned it. I'll keep an eye on that.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 02-07-13, 07:25 PM
hamster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My premium Garmin sensor started acting up after about a year, usually in situations where my skin was getting too dry. I spent $5 on a big tube of electrode gel from Amazon. Seems to be working so far.
Old 02-07-13, 07:39 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by bobonker
Are you guys that are using the Wearlink strap putting any kind of HR gel/water on the electrodes? Mine didn't work until I put the gel on them. The standard Garmin one usually works for me without the gel.

Thanks,
Bob
I use a gel on rides when a loss of data would be a big deal to me. Usually I just lick the electrodes. Spit is a decent electrolyte.
Old 02-07-13, 08:45 PM
lolguy

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod 2, 2012 Specialized Roubaix Elite Rival, 2012 Cannondale Scalpel 4, 2010 Trek 7.7 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I use a gel on rides when a loss of data would be a big deal to me. Usually I just lick the electrodes. Spit is a decent electrolyte.
x2
Old 02-07-13, 08:52 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
The bottom line is that the Garmin HR strap is a complete piece of sh_t. You shouldn't have to jerry-rig it to try to fix it.

I just threw my last one away and got the older Garmin HR monitor. If this one dies I may sell my Garmin 800.
Old 02-07-13, 10:52 PM
BykOfALesserGod
Pretty rigid member

Bikes: Sycip Unleaded, Raleigh SS, Trek 1.5, IF Crown Jewel, QR Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobe
The bottom line is that the Garmin HR strap is a complete piece of sh_t. You shouldn't have to jerry-rig it to try to fix it.

I just threw my last one away and got the older Garmin HR monitor. If this one dies I may sell my Garmin 800.
+1. You think Garmin would address this already instead of giving us a non upgrade to the Edge 800.
Old 02-08-13, 12:34 AM
bobonker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like the newer units come with a 'new' premium HR strap that looks exactly (is exactly?) the same as the Polar strap.

Bob
Old 02-08-13, 06:43 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I just like to second the thanks to DC Rainmaker. His reviews don't leave much unanswered.
Old 02-08-13, 11:44 AM
Jobiensis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the switch to the Polar strap, and while it is better than the Garmin strap, I still get spiking issues (no more dropouts). I do wet down the electrodes, but I think I'll try the gel.
Old 02-08-13, 01:08 PM
RecceDG
Token Canadian

Bikes: Cervelo S1, Norco Faze 1 SL, Surly Big Dummy, Moose Fatbike

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using the "hard strap" forever. No issues. Just lick the pads before strapping it on.

DG
Old 02-08-13, 02:03 PM
KDTX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have had a lot of success with cleaning the inside of the 2 little snaps with a Q-tip. Just stick a qtip in there and twist. You would be surprised at how black it turns. Mine has worked like a charm since I started doing this about once every other month.
Old 02-08-13, 03:19 PM
TANC
Roubaix for me !!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm told the issue with premium heart rate straps is that, while they ARE flexible and more comfortable, there is increased stress on the signal carrying lines in the strap because of the flexing; thus, they ARE less reliable. It's not how wet you keep it. The old style not flexing leads to a longer life, but less comfort. I had Garmin replace my last killed premium strap with an older one. No questions asked, but it WAS still in warranty.
Old 02-09-13, 09:51 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
It's probably just me, but a minute after I put on the old plastic HR strap I'm not even aware I'm wearing it. The only time it bugs me is when it start slipping down. Are the deluxe straps less prone do doing that?
Old 02-09-13, 01:54 PM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have both the Garmin soft strap and the standard strap heart rate monitors and I have absolutely ZERO problems with either of them.
They both work fine.
I also have no problems whatsoever with them slipping down.
I also never wet, gel or "lick" them ... the only thing I do is put them on about 10 minutes before I actually go out and ride because I still have to put on my clothes and shoes, fill bottles, pump tires, put helmet on, etc.
I'm not an overly sweaty person either, btw.
I really don't understand why everyone seems to have these issues.
Old 02-09-13, 01:56 PM
jrobe

Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
I have both the Garmin soft strap and the standard strap heart rate monitors and I have absolutely ZERO problems with either of them.
They both work fine.
I also have no problems whatsoever with them slipping down.
I also never wet, gel or "lick" them ... the only thing I do is put them on about 10 minutes before I actually go out and ride because I still have to put on my clothes and shoes, fill bottles, pump tires, put helmet on, etc.
I'm not an overly sweaty person either, btw.
I really don't understand why everyone seems to have these issues.

Just wait, the soft strap will eventually fail.
Old 02-09-13, 01:59 PM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Spit isn't very salty and so it's actually not as good an electrolyte as sweat is.
Put on your strap and then do 20 squats or some other simple warmup ... that'll do it much better.
Old 02-09-13, 02:01 PM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobe
Just wait, the soft strap will eventually fail.
That's exactly the reason why I got both as I anticipate that one will prove better than the other and so I'll eventually find out for myself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.