Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strange noise coming from Crank area when under load

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-13, 09:06 AM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good day guys,

Recently a friend of mine decided to buy my felt z85 from me since I no longer use it and he wants to start riding. We went for a test ride and we noticed something new. Under loads of power when going uphill it does a loud "click" sound on the crank, maybe bottom bracket, area per each revolution. it sounds like bending mettal somewhat but very quick. Sorry for the vague description but that is the closest I can describe it.

Any Ideas?? I dont want to sell my friend a crappy bike and I feel I am giving him a good price for it. The bike has been droped 4 times. 3 Times by my fiancee learning how to use the cleats and 1 time by him yesterday on the test ride due to the same reason, so you know it hasnt been hard.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-13, 09:14 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Is the chain skipping under load?
Old 02-19-13, 09:16 AM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesnt seem to be. It rides fairly well and shifts pretty crisp. I do see the crank moving though (hope its not my imagination)
Old 02-19-13, 09:24 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
^ you mean you see the crank moving laterally, like in and out of the bottom bracket?

BTW, what kind of BB and crankset you have?
Old 02-19-13, 09:43 AM
Impreza_aL

Bikes: yellow tricycle di2 grip shifters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you've got the bb30 creak
Old 02-19-13, 09:49 AM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
^ you mean you see the crank moving laterally, like in and out of the bottom bracket?

BTW, what kind of BB and crankset you have?
I mean like the crank is pivoting on the bb. I have the FSA 68mm w/ forged Cr-Mo square taper 103mm spindle bottom bracket. The crank is the FSA Vero Compact 3pc, 50/34T.

Originally Posted by Impreza_aL
you've got the bb30 creak
I dont like it.... It is exactly a creak!
Old 02-19-13, 10:03 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
change out the BB and see if it goes away
Old 02-19-13, 10:11 AM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
change out the BB and see if it goes away
Should I fit the same BB? Is it a DIY thing or should I send it to the bike shop? How much?

thanks
Old 02-19-13, 10:28 AM
mynameistaken

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
creaks can be very deceiving. I would take apart the head set and re-grease the upper and lower bearings. Especially where they contact the steer tube. I had the exact same problem and i thought it was coming from the bottom bracket or rear wheel. Turned out to be the headset.
Old 02-19-13, 10:31 AM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a few riders with me that have had various creaks and ticks. Something like 2 out 3 turned out to be loose (or not tight enough) skewers.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 02-19-13, 10:37 AM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mynameistaken
creaks can be very deceiving. I would take apart the head set and re-grease the upper and lower bearings. Especially where they contact the steer tube. I had the exact same problem and i thought it was coming from the bottom bracket or rear wheel. Turned out to be the headset.
Originally Posted by JoelS
I've had a few riders with me that have had various creaks and ticks. Something like 2 out 3 turned out to be loose (or not tight enough) skewers.
Seems like it could be anything.. Might have to dismount re grease and mount everything together.
Old 02-19-13, 10:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
for me the BB is a bike tech thing. it never hurts to have a good tech check your BB - it gets a lots stress and all my creaks were the BBs. I've had 3 changed over the years and always glad about it. I had one guy though "tighten" one up but that was a mistake cuz it was trash and it only got more trashed. went to another tech and he just swapped it out quick as can be! :-)
Old 02-19-13, 12:17 PM
dalava

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
Should I fit the same BB? Is it a DIY thing or should I send it to the bike shop? How much?

thanks
With the right tools and a stand, working on BB is definitely a DIY thing; but if you don't have the right tools, you should just take it to a LBS.

Before you embark on the BB overhaul or replacement, I would definitely trying to grease/tighten other things. Bike noise is very ellusive; seldom the noise cames from the actual problem area. Something about the bike tube transmitting the noise and our ability to pinpoint sound source conspire to make us chase down a wrong rat hole a lot of times. The areas I would look re-grease and tighten to the right torque would include saddle/seat clamp, seat post clamp, headset, stem, and skewers.
Old 02-19-13, 12:28 PM
NWS Alpine

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most likely need to grease the seatpost or pedal threads. Also check the skewers. Unlikely to be that BB but not out of the question.
Old 02-19-13, 12:30 PM
Poohblah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
Before you embark on the BB overhaul or replacement, I would definitely trying to grease/tighten other things. Bike noise is very ellusive; seldom the noise cames from the actual problem area. Something about the bike tube transmitting the noise and our ability to pinpoint sound source conspire to make us chase down a wrong rat hole a lot of times. The areas I would look re-grease and tighten to the right torque would include saddle/seat clamp, seat post clamp, headset, stem, and skewers.
My experience corroborates this assessment. I recently had a problem similar to the OP's, but it turned out not to be the BB at all - my rear axle had snapped in half.
Old 02-19-13, 12:40 PM
Pug
High Modulus

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try putting a little grease on the rear skewer first. Before going the BB route, you can also check the seat and seatpost maybe even water bottle cages. Can be the headset like others have mentioned as well. If you don't have a lot of miles on the BB might want to try and use loctite on it before replacing. There are a lot of useful posts here if you do a search on bottom bracket creak/sound etc.
Old 02-19-13, 01:01 PM
Gharp23

Bikes: 2013 Felt Z4, 2011 Trek 7.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike noises are tricky little bastards. I swore my creak came from the BB and it was the rear wheel QR. L
Old 02-19-13, 01:04 PM
elzy0000

Bikes: '10 Brompton M6R, '11 Felt F5, '13 BMC Team Machine, '14 Cinelli Vigorelli, '15 Colnago V1-R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same issue with my Felt F5. Pulled apart the bottom bracket and re-greased. problem solved.
Old 02-19-13, 01:30 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
If you have an extra set of pedals, swap them out and see if it changes. Also, check around your seat. Seats can make noise themselves, plus if you have a saddle bag, contents can rock back and forth while pedaling, or zipper tabs can hit the seat post, or any of a number of other things to make noise. It ends up being a process of elimination.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-19-13, 01:41 PM
Jobiensis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My BB30 does this without fail a week or so after wet riding. Just pull out the crank/spindle, clean, regrease, reassemble.
Old 02-19-13, 02:28 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
If its making a creaking noise with each pedal revolution, very good chance it's the crank, bb, or pedals.

And if you think you see the crank moving laterally, then it's likely the crank or the bb needs tightened.

Crank arms get loose on squared tapered bbs, and if you don't tighten them, you can eventually f up the cranks as they warble out.

So, pull the crank arms. Then see if the spindle is turning smoothly, and not loose side to side. Assuming that's ok, grease the ends of the spindle and reinstall the crank arms tightening them down snuggly.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-19-13, 02:31 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by mynameistaken
You can typically isolate the headset from the equation by 1) does it happen only when you pedal out of the saddle, and 2) does it happen when you pedal no handed.

If pedaling standing exacerbates it, and no handed eliminates it, something in the front end ( headset, or front wheel skewer) is a likely culprit.
Old 02-19-13, 02:32 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by Doohickie
If you have an extra set of pedals, swap them out and see if it changes. Also, check around your seat. Seats can make noise themselves, plus if you have a saddle bag, contents can rock back and forth while pedaling, or zipper tabs can hit the seat post, or any of a number of other things to make noise. It ends up being a process of elimination.
Odd things like that can cause noises. Once a revolution click can bee the crank arm hitting the end of the FD cable.
Old 02-19-13, 03:53 PM
chrismorg

Bikes: Colnago Master. Cannondale caad4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
had the same symtoms that went away when i changed my bottom bracket
Old 02-19-13, 04:09 PM
qqy
▒▒▒▒▒▒

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
I mean like the crank is pivoting on the bb. I have the FSA 68mm w/ forged Cr-Mo square taper 103mm spindle bottom bracket. The crank is the FSA Vero Compact 3pc, 50/34T.
Those FSA BBs are junk and wear out quickly. That's most likely your problem. Swap it out for a Token 103 spindle unit. And regrease all the metal-on-metal contact areas. Also, check that all your chainring bolts are tight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.